Chapter 2: Registration, Pasteur Branch Unit
118 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Morning the next day, Wright prepared all the stuff he needed to go. Well, the last thing useful for today that is. He only had three bottles of water as well as a box of the remaining dinner he had.

 

And Wright placed all of it into a single medium-sized bag. He even remembered where he got the box of food he held on his hand. It was because of his desperation that he searched for food from trashcan!

 

‘The food probably mixed with some rotten veggies. That’s why the taste is mostly sour, with the synthetic flavor add in it from that fried chicken with crisp…the combination is still not good.’

 

He broke, today was the exact day he emptied all his money. All his thought was allocated towards his survival and life. His dreams of the past, he had to bury it inside his mind because if he lost this opportunity he would only have one place to go.

 

The People’s Servitude. That was the last place Wright wanted to go, it was actually an organization for those who cannot pay their tax properly. Rather than fine them as punishment, they would be used to do some chores. They would basically become the nation’s labor force in the public. They would become street cleaner, park maintenance unit, skyscraper window cleaner something like that.

 

“Well, time to go.” Wright walked to his front door, carrying all his burden that not only in physical form like his bag but also a mental burden as well. He hated it but it was better than become the public servitude which only someone who wanted to work to life will go.

 

‘Flying, can someone like me achieve that?’ Wright truly wanted to know how to be at the sky above his head. He was poor and currently still the same so he had never experienced it even with the presence of commercial airlines.

 

He gently closed the door and locked it. He then moved along the dark alley before reaching outside to the main road. And of course, he could see the big screen on the building’s wall showing the scene of the interception mission.

 

From the news Wright had seen and heard, it looked like the squadron make it in time and starting to retaliate in return. So dogfight became inevitable and the most fortunate thing for Wright was that this video was not confiscated.

 

It even spread on the internet as well but of course to Wright, that was the plan this empire had thought to bolster the people’s morale. This was just a small skirmish and the successful part was released to the public.

 

Wright wanted to see the entirety of the video but he sighed and walked away, he knew that probably something happened but it was classified as always.

 

‘Should I do it? What if I have to give my right to express myself? Will this be alright for me?’ as his footstep increased in number, so his thought to cancel his decision. He was in doubt and confusion, his once in a lifetime dream to feel the sky closer, his current condition and his situation for tomorrow.

 

‘Even if I abort this, the only end for me is a dead-end. I have this opportunity that John has given to me, perhaps this is the last chance I will ever get in my lifetime…’

 

His heart was in turmoil and his steps became faster at the same time. But in the end, Wright gained his determination back. His destination was actually the City’s Hall where most of the city’s planning, administration, budget for the current year, and the development the city would take in the future.

 

And there was also the service for Temporary Militia Unit because this unit was formed from every city in the empire so each Town Hall ought to have it at the least. This service was located in City Special Administration for Civilian.

 

This Administration Unit received lots of tasks and to register anyone from the empire that wanted to join the unit. Wright could see the luster this place had for the eyes of its visitor, a pity that he came there just to register for something the others would not want unless they were forced.

 

Wright became like this was because he did not want to use the majority of the money from the empire’s allowance to the poor people like him. Instead, he gave the money to the orphanage that once treated him. And just when Wright got a job and expected a stable income, he was fired again.

 

“Where is the place?” Wright only had a faint memory about the place because he had to remember many things for one year. And he thought the place would also change since it was already a year since he came.

 

“What are you looking, Mister?” due to the fact that Wright had to walk around the hall near the Administration Unit, some of the employees started to notice it. They were trained to be attentive after all and seeing Wright acted like that made one of them came and asked to him.

 

“Sorry, do you know where the registration for Temporary Militia Unit is?” Wright asked. Those who served people that visited City Hall were truly quick to notice Wright straight away. Wright wanted to ask but he was the one who received help first from them.

 

“Registration for Temporary Militia Unit? That would be at the end of the corridor to your left, sir. Other than that, is there any other thing I can help you with?” the eyes of the employee lit up, he had heard that this year the number of the registrant exponentially increase in just a short time and number.

 

This employee saw how Wright looked like. Wright only wore his best clothes that still good enough even though its color already changed due to the fact that he forgot to put his clothes back after drying it with the sunlight. That was why his impression towards Wright was a pity, there was some registrant that also similar to Wright coming to the same place with the same purpose too after all.

 

“Thank you, but I have no other thing for you to help with.” Wright thanked the person and waved at him, signaling the person not to worry.

 

Wright continued to walk towards the left corridor mentioned and found that most people went into his way. He surprised that their faces were filled with the frown, anger as well as disappointment.

 

‘What’s happening here? Don’t tell me they came from the registration point? But why they turn back?’ Wright’s thought started to fill with negative suggestion and at the same time, his heart started pounding hard.

 

No, he would not want to return again like last year! He hated it, he hated for walking to the City Hall sixteen kilometer from where he lived just to return with nothing. He had a certain debt with this empire and he knew that this kind of lure was the most suitable for people like him.

 

Why did he have to do it? Even if he knew about it, he could not prevent what was happening to him. Knowing the problem and how to solve a problem was two different things. He would not want to accept failure this time. He had nothing, yes that was true or motive in what he did even now but he had a flicker of hope in his heart that still gave his act a reason.

 

‘For my own sake, for my own dream and for me to pay the tax that John had allowed me to suspend its payment.’

 

-

 

The registration point for Temporary Militia Unit

 

Some of the female receptionist was having difficulties with the amount of registration entry this year. Not only that but they had to plan ahead in case the conflict their empire had this time would spread out.

 

Recently, they had to reject dozens of people because they did not pass even the most basic criteria. If they passed on that, they would be able to join even if their next criteria below the passing score. But it also meant their work became a bit faster since those people were at a group.

 

“Tanasha, how is it on your side?” another receptionist asked one of them. Tanasha was one of the receptionist tasked in the City Hall’s Administration. She and all of her friends received a flood of people after the news about the conflict that arose at the northern border.

 

Even though no major news about the militia unit was broadcasted, it was actually an open secret to the citizen and if possible, they would try their luck by register themselves there. That was why every city must prepare for it as soon as the threat was announced.

 

“There are still some people to attend. Next, what can I help you with?” Tanasha had to do this tedious job again and again. Now, most people would have their necessity to register into Temporary Militia Unit while the others were also added to the list of the people who had to be served.

 

“I hear that the registration of the unit is open now both in the City Hall and the official website, is that true?” a young man with an optimistic look already presented himself in front of the receptionist desk. He had this light of confidence from his eyes and asked Tanasha.

 

“Yes. And what is it that you want to know or need?”

“Hmm, then how should I confirm my online registration?” the young man asked.

“Are you sure you come here to register or to do something else?” Tanasha took another glance at the person in front of her. Clearly, there would only be two kinds of people when they asked such a thing. Either they were trying to flirt or they were too ignorant that had to be guided.

 

And then she noticed someone entered. Her attention was diverted because that someone was too eye-catching that people would notice him. But it was not in a positive aspect because his clothes were barely passable if you ignore the yellowish color on it.

 

He carried a bag that the coverings were torn at some part, it was a rare sight even in the street. Wright came in and the first thing he had to face was the dozens of eyes staring at him. He then just took his number from the side and it showed the number of his turn.

 

‘Number 234. Just how many people that this place has served?’ Wright reluctantly turned his head to see a digital display that showed the current number across the receptionist desks. It was currently at the number 150 to 157 to be served.

 

The first problem Wright had to face was to wait. Second, he had to look for a place to wait. And since the chair in that place was all occupied, he had to move away for a moment. He went out to look around the City Hall to kill some time.

 

“Who is he? How can someone like him come here with that kind of clothes?” a middle-aged man with luxurious clothes said what was on his mind. Wright just took notice of the man and slightly smiled.

 

For Wright, those people with a higher rank society like that middle-aged man only knew a little about what his life truly like. Wright did not want to get any badmouthing either so he went away in a large stride.

 

He rarely went to the City Hall so he tried to wander around some places he had never set his feet too. And then he realized that some people came from outside with an elite military unit walking around.

 

“Excuse me, what happen here? Someone important?” Wright greeted one of the nearest people and asked him about the situation.

“Look for yourself.” The person gave a little space for Wright to see what was going on. His eyes stared wide at the scene in front of him. Wright now understood why there were commotions around him. It turned out this city hall got a good visitor.

 

‘It is actually them!’ Wright could see the one that the world had as a main strength for a country. When the pilot trailed across the sky, they had to face another hostile pilot and when they survived long enough that was when they got a title of “Ace”

 

‘They are the people that recently do the flight to the northern border. No wonder there are also some reporters mixed in the crowd.’ Wright bumped into one of such reporter but he did not care.

 

“I wonder what they are doing here. Is there some circumstances that make them visit this place?” Wright murmured while his eyes did not leave the main attraction.

 

Too crowded and too noisy, that was the main situation but soon some of the employees calmed down the situation. From the direction the people and the elite military unit move, Wright could recognize where they were going.

 

‘So they are going to meet the Mayor’s Secretary. Those pilots that come here, part of 7th Air Division, Skylark Squadron. Actually, I have something to say to them but so these crowd.’

 

Wright turned his smartphone on again and checked the time. He realized just now that he spent fifteen minutes looking at those aces from close. He just wanted to burn their image into his own memory, forever remembered that was all he wishes.

 

Then he returned to the place he was supposed to be and found out that the number of the display showed exactly his number. And the receptionist already called his number loudly. This made Wright a bit embarrassed but he still walked to the desk.

 

“Number 234! Is there anyone here with that number?” Tanasha shouted once again. She just wanted to continue but Wright came at the exact time or to be accurate he was on time.

 

“ME, number 234. I want to confirm my online registration to join Temporary Militia Unit. Please check it.” Wright opened his mouth in a hurry. He was afraid that it would be rejected due to his own fault.

 

‘Please have some mercy to me.’ Wright’s only hope was like a jackpot as it was answered just right after he wished for it. Because after that the receptionist checked the information from the computer and only needed confirmation from the register.

 

“It’s confirmed that there are several people that wanted to participate. Please check the confirmation from your gadget, sir.” As expressionless as always, Tanasha said and pointed towards Wright smartphone.

 

“Okay.” After Wright checked the confirmation from his smartphone, he just needs a tap to truly join the unit. He tapped on it without hesitation and this was instantly sent to the monitor Tanasha had used.

 

“Good, looks like the registration process is complete. From the identity, are you Mister Wright?” Wright surprised to hear that but he just nodded his head.

 

“From what I heard, Mister Wright you are in a pinch. Looks like what John said is really happening to you.” Tanasha commented which made Wright flustered. He disliked his personal matter being spoken but he knew that he himself was not free from mistake either.

 

“Oh, good. This matter must be a topic for your friends’ gossip, am I right?” Wright rolled his eyes. He had revealed himself so trying to hide his face would be of no use.

 

“No, I only hear it from John where he had to take a loathing from his supervisor because of you. You are the only one who doesn’t pay your tax on time. That’s why.” Tanasha stared at Wright. But for Wright, he felt his stomach was turned inside out. He felt unpleasant to hear that his problem could get other people involved.

 

“Then…then can I know every information about the new unit?” Wright only asked this before he clenched his hands. He had to know everything about what he would do at the unit.

 

“Wait for a moment. This Temporary Militia Unit is the 182nd Unit, the number of the unit is also the times of the unit recreated. For the new recruits, they should be grouped and divided to blend with the military force. Other than that, you can select which part of the military you wish to get.” Tanasha gave Wright a piece of general information. At least that was useful and Wright could think ahead to plan his next step.

 

“And where is the location? I just hope that the place is near.” Sadly, Wright expectation was soon broken into pieces as the place was at the other end of the city. He thanked Tanasha and left immediately.

 

“I don’t expect the place to be at the end of the city. And I have to bring this paper too. Better to drink some water since the weather is rather hot these days.” Wright then sat on the nearest bench he could find near the entrance of the city hall.

 

After Wright left, Tanasha kept looking at his back. She actually wanted to say something else but Wright left in a hurry. Perhaps he wanted to quickly get the job done and received his payment, she thought.

 

Also, she kept looking at the monitor which she received information about Wright. It was stated that Wright would receive a standard treatment as a new recruit but his deeds of not paying the tax and even got help from John would add the penalty that Wright ought to receive in the unit.

 

‘John’s Supervisor is going to shift the blame from his subordinate to Mister Wright because John is helping. The worst thing I can imagine is that he will be placed in the worst unit. Better call John right now since I still have works to do.’ Tanasha thought before she called John.

 

-

 

“This is the place…right?” Wright had to walk again and this time it was rather far. At the end of the city lied several locations that were still in development. One of them was owned by the empire thus it became the location of the unit based at the city.

 

But the place Wright had been looking toward was like a compilation of the worst junk one could collect from the trashcan. The facility barely met the required standard as some oil scattered around the entrance.

 

But at least he could see some people gathered around the entrance and kept standing. And right in front of that entrance was some people with military suit inspecting each people. Some of them were on standby with their assault rifle ready to warn anyone that dare to mess in this place.

 

And Wright could see a large sign at the top of the entrance. It was a sign for people to see and to attract attention. Written there was “182nd Temporary Militia Unit Branch Pasteur City”, with recently wet paint.

 

“Attention, all people that register into the unit please go to the left side. I repeat, all people that register into the unit please go to the left side.” A man with speaker loudly said. He also gestured which side he meant to let people know the right direction.

 

Wright went straight to the queue that already filled with many people of his peers. His throat already dried and he could not even see his own shadow on this sunny day. It meant that the sun was right above his head. Waiting in the line while the heat struck your body was not a good sign.

 

Wright glanced around him while the line moved slowly. The people with the military clothes were preparing the place to let people rest. It was in the form of a large tent but placed above the head. And there were also people that gave a bottle of drink water.

 

‘Just when will this end?’ the heat and dehydration problem was solved but only for a moment. Wright just hoped that he would be able to stand when he arrived.

 

“Hey, are you feeling dizzy?” a hand reached Wright when he did not realize that his eyes were unfocused and his legs were shaking. He just felt the stimulus after some time had passed and he turned his head around.

 

It was not that Wright usually does such thing when people greeted him from behind but because the place was so crowded he was unable to turn his body around. If it was in the larger place, Wright would have turned around with all his body.

 

A man smiled while his left hand reaching for something behind his back. His right hand was placed on Wright’s shoulder. But his eyes were still on caution, he had to take note of Wright movement and if Wright collapsed all of a sudden he would help.

 

“No, but my legs are on the verge of giving up. And it’s so cramped here.” Replied Wright while he tried to let out a faint smile.

 

This man was also the same person that came to the Administration and asked Tanasha one, two things.

 

“By the way, are you joining this year’s batch of Temporary Militia Unit?” the man asked. Wright thought that since he stood on the same line with the participant, there would be others that came for this purpose just like him.

 

“Yeah. Well, I only grasped the general concept of the unit though. I want to get at least a stable income for a certain amount of time. I feel ashamed when someone I know apply my document as jobless and not finding a stable income.” Wright explained his general situation and at least the reason why he wanted to join.

 

“Your reason is better than me. Come on, let’s get that body of yours some motivation.” He held Wright and even supported him.

 

“Why are you helping me? Look, this made some people come to our position.” Wright felt his legs were heavy. He could barely walk while the place was still not near. He disliked this kind of situation where he had to rely on other people but he had never expected that his legs were already tired.

 

“Is he alright? I don’t see his face change color but it’s better to check things out. Some people are also like him, overexert themselves just for joining this unit. I don’t know why young people tend to join this despite the risk.” One of the medic units came and commented while checking Wright from close.

 

‘This is just the case of tiredness. But if he keeps that I am afraid that it can be fatal.’ Thought the medic.

 

“What are you talking about?” Wright could only focus on the last sentence the medic said. Especially when he mentioned the ‘risk’ word, Wright could see that the person knew a thing or two from experience.

 

“Let him stay here but could you bring him some electrolyte drink for him? Tell that the name of the person in question is…” the man said while glancing to Wright. Wright quickly told his name.

 

“What’s your name? I feel like we will meet again one day.” Wright looked at the man who still supported him. It was already half the line so Wright could not give up now. And he felt something special about the man that helped him.

 

“I’m someone that hard to get along, but if it is you….Traza.” the man now introduced himself while looking back at Wright. Their eyes met and for some reason, they felt that if they were on the same side they would be able to cooperate.

 

But that chance was not high since each person would be sent into a different cluster. Cluster here was another meaning for the group of new recruits in training and the first month of the training would decide which place the person suitable to be delegated.

2