CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE WHAT THE SOUND ATTRACTED
1.9k 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We are finally ready to get out of this damp, awful place, hopefully to be forever forgotten for good now. I sigh quietly as both follow me out, passing through the eerie halls, now mostly empty as the zombies went searching for the sounds of Richard banging; pun intended ha!; as I slash them up.

The remaining creatures, however, stood on the remote side of the hospital, unable to hear us from so far away, still lingering inside the normal hospital part where, of course, they stood between our exit and here, making us walk back until we reach it, again.

That’s when I felt it, a shiver run down my spine instinctively making my eyes bloody red and my fangs to extend in a silent hiss.

In these quiet halls, not even the shuffling of the zombies and their groans could be heard anymore as a can fell down far in the distance, the echoing metallic sound resonating, a beacon saying that we were not alone anymore.

And I recognize that smell.

“Fuck, not good. Richard, stay close to Dylan, I’ll try to keep it at bay, but if things get nasty…”

I didn’t have time to finish as a shadow pounce at me, jumping high with four limbs stretched out. Without proper time to arm myself I simple back-fist it, making the creature fly straight to a wall head first. With my night vision I could see it clearly.

And it wasn’t good, not at all.

“Fuck, a Runner? But they don’t jump. Fuck, it is a Hunter?!” Richard says as he grabs the ax with both hands, opening his legs, ready to strike.

“No, it’s not a Hunter, not even a zombie, is far worse than that.”

They were about to question it when the creature spasmed, the twisted body reacting as if bolted with electricity, and suddenly turned up at all fours, rising slowly to two as if to show off its figure.

His body was slim, sickly thin, the ribcage visible beyond a thin layer of  pale skin, his arms appearing to be made of only bones, his back bended a little forward, his spine very apparent as you could draw it with your fingers, even more as parts of it were poking out, breaking the grey skin.

Now that it was plain in sight the creature did not bother to hide anymore as it kept clattering his teeth together, his milky white eyes staring us down with a crazy look to them, bugging out of his face. 

Cracking the knuckles of his long bonny fingers, it gave a hollow scream and dived in once more as it runs at us, black long claws stretched out.

This time, however, he felt straight into my blade and, with a clean cut that only a well-kept sword could master, his limbs were severed like fresh-of-the-oven bread, a gush of black goopy blood splashing out all over us before he falls, his head following the same destiny as its limbs soon after, rolling to the side.

Moving my sword quickly to the side I manage to get part of the blood out, some still dripping from the tip, now the only sound on that empty hall.

Fuck, some droops had reached my shoes, eww.

Licking my lips I look worriedly, thinking as I stare when the corpse cracks down like a vase into smaller pieces, until only dust remained.

“What was that?” Richard asks again, making me look towards then, finding Dylan behind him.

“That is bad news. Follow me, quiet, its master must already know we are here.”

“Master?”

“Ssh.”

All the decay already present in this place makes more difficult to pinpoint where were the others, not having me believing for a second that the creature came alone, they never did.

But I bet they could easily smell us, especially the two tasty warm humans behind me…

Fuck.

My head was a mess for at least two seconds, thinking all the bad things that could happen; at one point been sure of them; but I frown hard as I try to focus on the solution, not the problem.

We were still in the high-security part of the hospital, the back exit being far away as the front exit doors were blocked up and, worst, leading straight to the main streets filled with zombies; and far worst then the ones we passed through.

Maybe we should use the windows; but this place was surrounded by tall buildings, and we would be in plain sight for whatever was after us.

And if I had the slight chance of been right that it was not alone we should use all the advantages we could get.

We were walking straight back, the light out as Dylan and Richard guided themselves with me, holding onto their sleeves and mine like a centipede, as thankfully the path remained clear.

Until, of course, we were getting close to the exit.

The corridor was silent, not even the usual groans, but I, now aware, could immediately hear the claws screeching the floor down, patting their way in silently.

Shit, there were far, far more of them here.

Richard and Dylan stare at my back for a while once I stay still for too long, until they can see the creatures up front entering from a window, their skinny grey bodies curved up while they walked on all fours, their rotten teeth in display and their bugged eyes staring into the darkness.

I could easily kill them; but while protecting both humans… that was another story.

Not knowing what to do, wanting to try and run for the exit, I stay still for a little longer, thinking about our options; and which one would give us a higher chance of getting us out of here unscathed.

That’s when a thought comes to mind, making me grab their hands and back off slowly, going towards where we came from, passing the same corridors again. I sense they tense behind me, until Dylan cannot hold in anymore and asks:

“What are they? What do they want? And what did you mean by master?”

I knew that I could not withhold the information any longer, even if it was still dangerous to talk and make noise, so I start slowly:

“They are ghouls, deadlier creatures than zombies. They are faster, stronger, walk in packs, and have rudimentary intelligence; but the worst fact is that they are usually commanded by someone far superior.”

“Whom?”

“Wait, we are here.”

We stop in front of a metal door, once held by an electric padlock, in another side of the building, hidden from the creatures for now.

“Enter, and turn the light on.”

Richard does as told, pointing his flashlight only to gasp then chuckling, inciting Dylan to follow him in.

“I like where your plan is going.” Richard says, taking the freedom to go deeper into the room.

The room had a table to the side with many black screens on top of each other, but the other side was far more interesting; there were rows and rows of metal cabinets with the doors made of grids, showing off theirs contents.

And they were a beauty.

“I thought we would need a little help to get out of here, don’t you think?”

This was the security room, where they held their guns; and, as they dealt with the supernatural, that included flame-throwers, electric rods, silver blades, shotgun but, most importantly, silver bullets that shimmered in the sparse light.

“So, did you like the new toys?”

His answer was taking a handful amount of silver bullets and immediately replacing the ones he had from his handgun and the rifle on his back.

I bet he wanted the flame-thrower, but the tank was a problem for he would not be able to take his rifle out, so I take the pleasure out of him as I went straight for it, wearing the heavy tank on my back, putting the protective helmet on and trying not to trip on the tube attached to the back as I grab the weapon up.

Such a beauty hey, how did I not think of having one of this as my own until now uhm?

Holding it with both hands as it has two handles, one in the back and the other on its long nuzzle, I pose with the tip up, smirking under the helmet as I wait the two slowpokes to get ready.

Dylan, not enjoying but not having a choice, ended up with a simple handgun, some extra clips, and the protective gear they had here for the arms, legs, even for the neck, mostly made to sustain bites beyond bullets for the looks of it.

Richard, however, was a kid at a candy store; he wore some armor, enough not to make a sound weighting him down and yet protect him some, took as many bullets as he could, plus a shotgun as he already had a handgun and a rifle to play with.

We walked back into the halls, like those badass heroes that slowed motion into the cameras, snickers, and they now could see better with extra flashlights attached to their weapons.

I wanted to be the guy who always had a gum so I could chew it while I talk and pop the bubble just to annoy the hell out of both.

We walk back to the hidden entrance, but, of course, Dylan cannot let the subject die, as he asks once more:

“Why not use the front door? And who is the master here?”

See? A lost opportunity to pop a gum now, sighs.

“The main exits are blocked, and I don’t want to be in plain sight. And…” I roll my tongue on the word, trying to figure out what to say, and ended up sticking with the plain truth: “Ghouls are made from vampires, and are their servants, mindless monsters who bid to their master's will.”

“Vampires? There are others here? Who is controlling them?”

I stop just to look back at him, and with a grim expression say: “Let’s hope we don’t find out.”

But of course we would.

~~~~

Wow, don’t even know how I manage to write one chapter this week, this month is were everything is happening at once lol

Anyway, I think the book is coming to an end, so if if you can’t handle cliffhanger well… wait a little more hehe

Would love to post more then one chapter but I don’t have them…

So~~~see ya next Friday!

Oh, have you guy’s watched “I’m gay” by the Try guys on youtube? Is a masterpiece, really recommend it ( ◑ω◑☞)☞

27