Day 2: Midnight Encounter
225 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 2 (Midnight)

Dragging the Dragon, I created a trail. The smell of blood attracted beasts, but none tried to approach. They could not feel my presence, but the fact that I was dragging the carcass of a beast that's beyond them was enough of a warning.

This Forest was a bore. I need to find a new place that might pose a challenge. If I could, I would wage war, but I am left with no openings with my little knowledge of the world. I also don't have a reason to do so.

Directed by Ghost while following Nekron's directions, I reached my destination, and it doesn't seem like this would be the place…did the cat perhaps lie to me?

'A mountain… I thought there would be a cave?'

[Report: I am detecting illusory magic placed on this place. Greater Skill – Spirit Eyes (Activated).]

Just now, I was surrounded by trees, and the mountain before me began to disintegrate. The walls crumbled and what used to be a blocked path became the entrance right before my eyes.

I entered the cave dragging the Earth Dragon with me still.

Back in my world, Illusion Masters were few, and between, Astral Beings did not exist, and the Mythical Beasts were already extinct before I was born. I hardly had any use for these eyes, but they were good for seeing the flow of Spirit Energy on a battlefield.

[(Greater Skill) Spirit Eyes: A skill that lets you see through Illusions and Façade. A rare Skill given only to those that are intimate with the Spirits. It also allows you to see Fae Creatures.]

Seems like its usage is still the same in this world, albeit a little altered. My steps resumed, the eyes looking at me somehow increased, 'Does these Spirit Eyes taxing in any way?'

[Answer: It is not. The Spirit Eyes is an [Existence Skill] achieved through your evolution. It is a part of your being. It can stay active at all times but often results in the user's inability to grasp reality from the Spirit Realm; thus, it is advised to be deactivated when not in use.]

'Keep it active, make sure that it is not lagging behind, my Spirit Sense can it be— wait, it will have to wait, I think I have found the little friend.'

The cave was strangely well-lit thanks to the glowing moss growing on the walls. 

"Who are you? Do not move, else I'll cut you down!" a boy stepped out of the cave straightened back. With bronze skin, he was scrawny and looked weak without any strength behind his bones. He was even missing an eye and an arm.

Other than that, the apparent fear in his eyes as he took quick side-glances on the Dragon behind me was a dead giveaway of his weakness. But despite all that, he stood before me with his eyes laced with the light of desperation.

'He wants to live.' 

"You're going to cut me, boy? That's cute. How are you going to do that with your little stick?"

"Are you calling my mighty sword a stick? How arrogant of you. You man, know well who you are crossing with, I am the Berserker of the Red Trolls, Adabad, I am the —"

[Report: He is wearing an illusion. With the Spirit Eyes in effect, you are now seeing his real body.] 

'I thought as much. Deactivate and quickly reactivate the Spirit Eyes.'

The boy's body changed suddenly; his body was replaced by a Giant-Man with Red Skin and a big nose. It had one cauliflower ear, sharp teeth to accompany its giant maw, and a pair of big hands handling a Black Great Sword.

'This guy looks like fun. I'll see him out later.'

The next second, the Giant returned to the image of the boy, "—This Black Great Sword is the Harbinger, the very sword I used in fending off the Spider of Calami—"

Oh, he hadn't stopped bluffing — how long is the backstory of this guy he's impersonation?

"Kid, please stop; I'm afraid we're going to be here till sunrise if I let you continue. I can see through Illusions, so you don't have to act anymore."

"…I don't know what you're talking about! I am Adabad the Berserker—”

"Oh yeah, this is going nowhere. Kid, that Black Cat already pledged his allegiance to me in return for your protection."

"That's impossible; he will never betray us like that!!"

BOOM!* The Earth Dragon's Shell exploded with a single palm strike.

"That's his reason for choosing to receive a name." seeing his petrified expression, I think that's a good enough reason for him to keep silent, "Just so you know, he didn't betray anyone. He risked his life to stay alive and risked it the next moment for your safety. I don't plan on reneging on any promise."

"R-really?"

"Yes, I am, now. Tell me if you're the only one I need to protect or if there are others. Also, seeing how you are so thin, I think you would need this little beast behind me for dinner."

The boy swallowed his saliva and then had me follow him deeper into the cave. The cave was not some complicated system of entrance and exits. It was a simple one-lane track. There were several illusions along the way, but none of it delayed me.

We reached the end of the path, and there, I was met with scowls and apprehension. Children around the age of ten and twelve, all of which scarred and bleeding. Most missing a limb while others burning up with high fever.

'How many are there?'

[Report: there are 37 of them, all either injured or sick, the boy with you is the only one without any complications.]

All of them had bronze skin and white hair… and on the back of their group was the oldest of them all. She stood in the middle of the path enveloped by a grime-tainted white blanket. Her face scarred by a burn with her eyes unable to reflect any light.

That girl was the oldest. Her hair was also the only one that's a different color. Her black hair that extended down on the cold hard ground…

"Sister Anne! Why are you up?! You're already so weak!"

"I felt… someone strong enter the cave… I wanted to help you in protecting everyone."

"Everything is okay, do not worry, Sister." The boy confidently said as he assisted her in resting on the 

"Where is Black? Has he… returned yet? I'm worried… he's doing all this despite just awakening as a Mana Beast."

"No, but he'll be sure to come back when the time arrives."

[Report:

Mana Beast: A more formal way to call monsters. Used by Tamers and those who see Monsters as companions.

Awakening: An event that happens to any being to gain a massive boost in power and intelligence. It is similar to being named.

Report: From what I can gather, Nekron is the being they are talking about. The cat has awakened to be a Magic Beast who can control the Aura of Death.]

I tried taking a step forward, wanting to assist the boy and the girl. Suddenly, the sickly and injured children moved ever so slightly despite their fear and apprehension… they were dedicated to protecting the woman.

All of them motioned for me to keep silent.

But I needed to do something, "…Lass, if you are talking about the cat, then he won't be coming back for a few days." 

When I finished uttering those words, I saw everyone turn their attention to the weak woman. I thought they were worried if she would collapse, but seconds later, black-armored skeletons appeared from the darkness.

[Report: Black-Armored Skeleton: stronger variants of a Skeleton Soldier.]

Without any hesitation, all of it attacked me!

The frail, blind woman erupted from the blanket with a short sword in hand. She dashed towards me and tried to take my head.

Seven skeletons rushed me from every corner, the blind woman from in front. 

"Skill: Dark Edge."

She was prepared to kill me with her skill… yet I saw it with my Spirit Eyes; the moment she used that skill, her body was enveloped with a cloud of dark smoke that threatened to kill her.

Art: Chain Spirit Body

Chains bound the skeletons, and I gently caught her dagger before catching the lady in my arms, "As I thought there was a smell of rotting flesh coming from your body."

As I said those words, the blind woman went and tried to take a bite of my neck as an act of desperation. She couldn't see me, but her ability to judge distance and space was impressive.

But failed to even pass a single enhanced finger, "Lass, that is enough. I am not your enemy."

"Who are you?! How did you find this place!?" a weak hoarse voice echoed. 

'She's not listening.'

She stopped as she coughed up blood, "Everyone… run... I'll hold this person back… escape while you ca—."

I knocked her out the moment I could. The skeletons disappeared the moment she lost consciousness; the aura around her, unfortunately, didn't.

"…let her go…"

"Let big sister go."

"You bastard, take your hands off her."

The sickly and injured children rose up, all of which holding a sharpened object; they want to kill me despite seeing how I just incapacitated what seemed to be their leader.

Tsk, this is why kids like them die.

"Okay, that's… ENOUGH!" I shouted, paralyzing everyone, and in that moment, I held the blind woman hostage, "You little brats listen up, drop your weapons else I'll injure her!"

Everyone complied.

"Gather the wooden items in a single pile, then everyone segregates yourselves in an orderly manner… the injured to the left and the sick to the right… what the hell are you all doing? Chop, chop, do you want me to flick this woman's forehead!?" I threatened them holding the girl hostage.

Favorite, rate, and review, thank you for reading

 

Thank you for reading

 

PS. I don't want to explain everything directly but I hope I managed to show you how characters react through their actions alone without much straightforward explanation.

10