Chapter 2: Useless Weaklings, Ten-hut! Pt2
21 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Along the western parts of Old Modern New York were bustling streets filled with citizens. The city that never sleeps became a place that was filled with diverse culture, people, and syndicates.

Despite being close to the Anti-Martial Academy's military force, a larger light casts a bigger shadow.

Squads of 'students' didn't scare adult men.

On top of that, the Academy itself didn't have time to investigate petty thieves and random criminals in regular society. That's why jobs were given to students as a way to train them as squadrons.

Old Modern New York was a place that was currently on the verge of evolution as a society. It was a place that tested Magi technology much less than outside. Letting it keep a 'old modern' feel.

To some, this meant security was a lot less denser than the places modernised using Inverters and Macros. Fritz deduced that this was probably an open invitation for those daring criminals still left.

Regardless, there was one thing he liked about this place that couldn't be found in any other great city.

And that like was...

"Vendors like these are great~" He spoke while eating an oily packet of fries in a burger meal.

Even carelessly licking his fingers in delight...

Eating food let him calm himself down, which was hard to do with the source of his trauma so close...

The 'Scarlet Villainess' acted like her nickname suggested. She covered her nose with cloth...

"Filthy..." There was clear disgust in her eyes, but he somehow felt this wasn't just mere preference.

With that disgust was mixed with an agitation that seemed to be lowering her mood even further.

After finishing his food and placing the rubbish in a nearby bin, he started getting down to business.

"Our job is to find and retrieve a Treasured Artifact if we can; Not to kill anyone. Understood?" He didn't look her in the eyes. They both still felt uncomfortable being around each other.

"...So it's one of them." Valry had seen 'Treasured Artifacts' and weapons used by Martial Artists on the frontline. Unlike a Magi's equipment, these were magically imbued with only one application.

Some threw fire, others compressed air. Rather than high versatility, they were refined in such a way that they only needed one function. That was what a 'Treasured' type artifact or weapon did.

She asked: "What is it used for?"

"Healing."

"So it was stolen from the Magi Association?"

"Even they can't deal with robbers ambushing their transports en route." Fritz shrugged his shoulders.

The two of them sat nearby a water fountain where many were passing by in the middle of the streets.

Their training allowed them to unconsciously fit into the background without standing out.

"Anyway, you dressed up quite nice." She spoke while looking at his loose t-shirt and blue jeans.

He was radiating with appeal...

"Not as much as you." Both of them gave each other insincere compliments as 'teammates'.

Unlike a typical 'princess' dress, it looked like she was able to understand what normal fashion was.

"Why did you bring me here? It's not like you're planning to seduce me, are you?" Valry tried to make a joke, only to see that her partner had suspiciously shook his head to deny her claim.

She didn't know that before they went, Betty gave Fritz a lot of 'advice' about how to romance her.

Though that went in one ear and out the other...

He felt like he'd be misunderstood if he didn't explain anything. After all, they were a boy and girl sitting in a popular place for lovers. The hearts in the airs of couples acting intimate was pervasive.

"Ahem... Our target is over there." The youth spoke while gesturing his eyes towards a couple at the side. It looked like even gangsters had their romantic parts. Their 'targets' looked quite happy.

"Do they have the Artifact?"

"Lower your voice a little. Also, not quite. There's nothing confirming they have any involvement, but they were nearby before the cargo was robbed. It also looks like they have other suspicious points."

"That's not much to go off of."

"Which is why we're investigating."

"Good~" Valry caught onto the scarred 'target' glancing their way, which made her lean closer.

Fritz blushed. Even though he knew she was just trying to keep up the act, he was still just a teenage boy. His hormones and curiosity towards girls made it hard for him to keep his emotions in check.

To Valry, this was a good thing. Seeing a ketchup stain on his neck, she took out a handkerchief.

"W-what's wrong?"

"You should really clean yourself up a bit." A white cloth touched the leftover crumbs on his cheek seductively before running down to his neck. Even in this pink atmosphere, her actions were bold.

Adding to the fact that she was a beauty, a lot of girls stepped on their lover's foot when they glanced at her. The place was suddenly filled with men who were apologising for appreciating the wrong beauty. Even the target in question.

"He's looking away now."

"How was I?"

"H-how was what exactly?"

"My acting." Her words were like bucket of cold water that brought the youth back to reality.

Being undercover like this usually wasn't so heart pounding. It made him accidentally slip up a little.

But when he finally got into 'Work Mode', Fritz decided to put his feelings to the side for now.

"You're a natural at blending with the crowd."

"Thanks." A rare smile appeared on her face. One that others wouldn't get to see on the frontline.

"...Let's get back on topic: Firstly, that man is part of the Mafia. He's got quite a bad reputation."

"He doesn't look that violent. Someone who can flirt like that with a woman doesn't seem the type."

"He's not the violent type."

"Then why is he well-known?"

"His face isn't that recognisable, but the Mission Folder detailed that he's called 'Poison Butterly'."

"That's such a feminine name."

"Don't be fooled by it. Even if he isn't usually violent, those who has crossed him all died within a month. His main weapon is a poison that ranges from deadly to downright malicious in nature."

"But he isn't a Magi, right? You're saying it like the Association lost their technology to such scum."

"You underestimate how 'scum' think." His head unconsciously leaned closer before continuing:

"That man doesn't have a Macro or Inverter, but he has a sharp mind. After all, Inverter technology isn't the only way to threaten Dragoons. The reason he was even worth the Academy's time to document was because of his 'toxic' ingenuity."

After that, he started to go into further detail.

The man, Poison Butterfly, was someone who had actually 'weaved' together a poison that even the best War Medics couldn't find an antidote to. The layered poison had four strands of toxin types. 

Each 'layer' was made with many different poisons.

The first was a gentle neurotoxin. It would give a sensation to the victim of being completely fine.

The second was an acidic venom. Something that slowly melted the organs of the victim internally.

Third was an narcotic hallucinogen. It affected the mind of whoever was poisoned one step at a time.

And lastly, which was the most important ingredient, was a 'magic type' poisonous substance that did more than the prior three. It could even be controlled using a low-grade Macro.

Corruption and criminals weren't to be looked down upon, or else their lives would be at risk.

"But does he have a Macro on him?"

"Not that I've heard of, but it's best to assume the worst. Run if you get caught by him. It's said the mysterious 'magic poison' he added can enter the body through touch. He's killed official Dragoons this way." Suddenly, the scarred man seemed a lot more intimidating. Though the dissonance between the man's innocent smile and his infamy was deep.

"...I'll keep that in mind." Although it was rare for someone to use a consumable liquid poison as an Inverter, she wasn't going to let down her guard. It was at that point she suddenly thought of an idea.

"Couldn't we have Christina knock him out after leading him somewhere else?" Although this idea seemed feasible with enough preparation, there was a helpless look on his face. He shook his head.

"That wouldn't work out."

"Isn't her aim accurate?"

"She could even shoot down an ant on a mountaintop." He agreed on this particular point.

"Then...?" She glared at him with suspicion.

"Actually..." He didn't know how to say this, but for future cooperation, it was better to say it outright.

Fritz finished his sentence: "...she can hit any target she wants, but she can't cause damage."

"...Huh?"

"I'm not even kidding."

"...A sniper who can aim but not hurt their target is useless. How can she even contribute or support?"

"We found a way to work around that."

"How...?"

"I'll show you later." He stopped there since it seemed like their current target was on the move.

The two of them inconspicuously followed him while making sure to act like they were going in a different direction. Fritz, as the one who was more familiar with the streets, lead while holding hands.

"We don't need to 'act' when no one is looking." An awkwardness appeared in her tone at that point.

"Don't let go of me."

"Why not?"

"I'm manipulating the way others are perceiving us using illusions." He spoke while pulling her forward.

Although she felt he was lying at first, the way no one reacted when they walked past bystanders made her realise it was the truth. She couldn't understand how he was actually doing this.

It was then she noticed a strange Paper Charm in his hand. She connected the dots using that.

"What's that?"

"It's called an 'Evil Charm'."

"Evil, huh?" She wasn't sure what to think when a protector of the people started using 'evil' power.

A tiny bit of interest seeped into her heart.

"I'm guessing this is a family technique."

"How did you know...?"

"There's no 'Seal Crafts' with this power."

"Well... you're right about that." He started slowing down his feet once their current target halted.

It looked like he was sending his girlfriend away...

It was at that point Fritz realised something and asked: "You have no thoughts about me using it?"

"The era of superstition is long gone. Magic has already been categorised into types that no longer hold any mysteries. Even the 'Evil Attribute' is something simple I learned at the Academy."

"But it's still not an accepted Craft..."

"That's only because we only know that it poisons whoever touches it. That's nothing to do with you."

"Thanks."

"Shut it. I don't want to change my opinion of you."

"..." His silence and helpless smile made her a bit angry. The way he acted was like a pushover...

How could THIS be her Squad Leader?

Just as she was about to quip, her eyes noticed their target was getting into a bright yellow taxi.

"We're going to lose him!"

"Can your Charms work on vehicles?"

"I can at most hide two people."

"To what extent exactly?"

"I can make us invisible."

"Perfect!" As soon as she said that, Fritz suddenly felt someone pick him up into a princess carry.

"E-err... Wait-!"

"Hold on and close your mouth tight." She suddenly started running with him in her arms.

Despite her petite looks and thin arms, her body practically 'flew' when she ran at full speed.

No obstructions got in her way. Even though there were many cars going back and forth around the busy intersections, she was able to keep up despite many bystanders and cars in the way.

Fritz found his eyes widening when to catch up to the car, she even did parkour with only her legs.

She jumped off walls and leapt between buildings at a speed far beyond a human was capable of.

Her fame of the frontlines wasn't just for show...

0