Vol 7 – Chapter 22 – A Night No One Knows (Part 4)
997 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tek here, I wonder why boss characters tend to transform so many times when you come close to defeat them? It’s generally only a little troublesome in games--but when it’s in real life--

 

It’s probably the effect of the Unique Skill called Phantasmagoria--the Demon has revived as an undead. Its upper body, which should have been goo all over the stone floor, has regenerated in the blink of an eye.

 

It lost its two Sword-Breakers when I destroyed its upper body.

 

I do have several more trump cards, but since I don’t know how many times the Demon can revive, I won’t use them recklessly. It’s painful that one MP Recovery Potion can only recover 20% of my Magic Power.

 

From now on, I will remember to charge Holy and Magic Swords whenever I get the free Magic Power.

 

“It hasn’t been since Yamato that I have had to resort to using Phantasmagoria. O Tek, perchance you can beat me? Yamato took the Heavenly Dragons along to attack my castle. You alone intend to be the equivalent of a Hero and a horde of Heavenly dragons?”

 

Thanks to the HP Potion, and Rapid Regeneration Skill, my wounds have completely disappeared.

 

While ready to withdraw an MP Recovery Potion at any time, I open storage and find the weapon I am looking for.

 

Seeing me pause, the Demon launches Destruction Magic towards me, and without thinking I slap the Magic bullet, changing its course. The Demon mutters, “Ridiculous!”, but I ignore it.

 

Even with the maximum Resistance Skill, the Magic makes my palm sting like playing a game of Red hands--I don’t want the Magic to hit anywhere sensitive…

 

I exchange Durandal for Trump Card #1: The Holy Spear--Longinus, and pour into it all the Magic Power that I have just recovered. I feel dizzy from using too much Magic Power, but I endure it and quickly downing three more MP Recovery Potions in a row.

 

Unfortunately, the Demon stops hesitating and launches a ranged Spell at me. I put up layers of Shield to buy me time, but it’s basically useless--the shields break one after another in an instant.

 

Again, I slap the Magic away with my free hand, and again it hurts--it doesn’t cause damage, but I don’t enjoy pain.

 

The Demon doesn’t pause so long this time, it starts to launch some kind of breath or roar Magic at me--but seeing the Magic Power gathering in the Demon’s open mouth, I used Ground Shrink and evade.

 

While rapidly closing in, I launch a technique that Liza recently developed--Triple-Spiral-Spear.

 

I also invoke Forge at the same time, to burn down the multiple small shields. The first and second spiraling attacks pierce both of the Demon’s shoulders--the third pierces the heart. At that time, the Holy Light is sucked into its body.

 

Again, the top half of the Demon’s body is blasted away.

 

However, this time, the Demon deliberately severed its top half of its body microseconds before the spear attack reached it--much too late for me to change the course of my spear.

 

It grows a new body out of the remaining half--are you part worm?

 

This Demon is more ‘immortal’ than Zen.

 

This time, translucent tentacles shoot out of the Demon’s hand and attack me.

 

However, since the Spell is destroyed with a single stab of Longinus, I don’t know what it was meant to do, but it’s probably dangerous to recklessly allow it to hit me.

 

When I look back at the Demon, I see that its eyes are glittering strangely. So I bring up the log, and a chill runs down my spine--the tentacles were an instant death attack--and so was the glowing eyes--two instant death attacks in a row.

 

According to the messages in the log, the only reason I resisted the attacks--was because I am double the Demon’s level. If our levels had been closer--

 

>>Skill: Instant Death Resistance Acquired.

 

Without pausing, I allocate Skill Points and activate the skill. Next time  I see the Demon using these attacks, I should try taking out a mirror to see what happens.

 

***

Since then, my attacks have hit the Demon many times, but using the effects of its Unique Skill--it gets revived every time. The Demon has revived seven times already, I want it to end.

 

The Demon seems to think that its Magic and Special attacks aren’t working against me, so this time--it changes tactics and physically attacks me.

 

Since this started, the fight has become much more annoying.

 

I stab towards the Demon’s heart with Longinus, and in defence, it reaches out towards me. I judge that I can avoid the outstretched hands, but--

The arm bone breaks though the skin of the Demon’s hand and flies out towards me.

 

Its attacks have become increasingly weird.

 

While being slightly surprised, I jump up to avoid the bone arrow. Making use of the air as a foothold, by using Sky Drive, I again stab with Longinus while upside-down. Unfortunately, it seems that unless the heart is pierced, its basically useless.

 

Well, it seems that I have no other choice than to cut the body into pieces and then incinerate the whole thing before it can regenerate.

 

I exchange Longinus for Durandal.

 

There’s only a little Magic Power left in it, so the blue light it emits is faint.

 

“What’s wrong, hero? You can’t defeat this immortal body?” The Demon tears two rib bones out of its chest--grasping them firmly, it roars and the bones are covered in black flames.

 

“I’ll let you taste my black flame bone swords. Come, dance the dance of death!”

 

This Demon has terrible naming sense--

 

The Demon Lord comes attacking in a style that utilizes both its swords. But, leaving aside their cool appearance, the black flame bode swords are more fragile than the Sword-Breakers--when our swords clash, I get a slight burn from the black flame, a few small blisters appear on the skin of my hands and arms.

 

“What the hell are you? Basking in the black flame, bringer of ruin that even burns down the Heavenly Dragons, why are you unhurt?!”

 

I guess it’s probably because my level is double yours, and because my Destruction Resistance is at Max.

 

Moreover, I do get hurt, it’s just that my recovery speed is beyond fast. MP is used for my recovery, though only small amounts, so I should take care not to get too badly hurt after I run out of Magic Power.

 

“If you’re unhurt, then I’ll just keep attacking until you are!”

 

Please stop the endlessly repetitive attacks--not that I’m one to talk, since I only know around 3 moves, be they stab, slash, or block.

 

The Demon endlessly takes out more black flame bone swords whenever I destroy them--right as I finally start getting seriously annoyed, I’ve finally managed to recover enough Magic Power.

 

Taking advantage of the tiny pause between the destruction of the Demon’s swords, and when it remakes them, I cut the Demon’s body into pieces. As it starts squirming and reviving, I invoke Forge, incinerating it. And yet, the Demon still regenerates--beginning to outpace the fire.

 

As expected of a Demon Lord.

 

While maintaining Forge, I take crossbow bolts that I inscribed a Holy Magic Circuit into, to use as disposable Holy Bolts, out of storage and charge them. When they are charged, I throw them at the Demon, like darts.

 

At last, the pieces of meat that are regenerating, stop wriggling.

 

I have to perform the last rites now.

 

I take out Trump Card #2: Holy Sword Galatine, and slash the lumps of partially-cooked meat, evaporating the Demon Lord. Galatine is the sibling sword of Excalibur, given by the lady of the lake, it is the shadow to Excalibur’s light.

 

If this hadn’t worked, I would have used Excalibur next--even though it could threaten the whole Capital. In preparation for another revival or second surprise, I gulp down Potions--accidentally drinking too many and feel bloated and slightly nauseous.

 

***

Apparently, it won’t revive again--I’ve finally won. The evidence is the appearance of these things, the small violet lights, three of them this time.

 

“Kukukuku, it lost, huh?”

“It lost, lost to Yamato.”

“It lost to the new Hero too.”

 

No, their colours are pure violet, there is a bit of black--jet black lights are also mixed in. They give off the same impression as the pure violet orbs of Zen, but they look different.

 

“It was an Orc after all.”

“What should we use this time?”

“Weasels seem smart.”

 

Thinking that I won’t harm them, they let their guard down--but I cut them. Slashing three times, the three glowing orbs disappear. With a sigh, I remove the ‘God Slayer’ title--and put the Divine Sword back into storage. It feels like the Divine Sword absorbed the orbs, but since there hasn’t been any change in its status, this is probably just my imagination.

 

The log flows with great speed, indicating that I have acquired a lot of loot. But I scroll back up, I will check out the loot later. The log shows ‘Fragments of God have been defeated!’, so I have beaten them.

 

Though, looking at it, it seems like I’m picking a fight with the god. But it’s already done, so there isn’t much use dwelling on it. Though I have the feeling that an existence that gives power to Demon Lords, who wish to destroy the world, is possibly even hostile even if I didn’t do anything.

 

Well, I hope that if I’ve antagonized the god, it’s the kind of god that where 1 day to it is 1,000 years to us mortals.

 

>>Title: Demon Lord Slayer Acquired.

>>Title: Demon Lord Slayer ‘Golden Wild-Boar King’ Acquired.

>>Title: True Hero Acquired.

>>Title: Unsung Hero Acquired.

24