Vol 8 – Chapter 24 – Departing The Duchy Capital (Part 2)
939 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tek here, it’s difficult to make the connection between ‘departure’ and ‘final farewell’, maybe because I come from a world where it doesn’t even take 2 - 3 days to meet people on the other side of the planet. Is it a bit heavier in a fantasy world.

 

The result of the auction last night was better than I expected.

 

The cast Magic Swords were sold at the expected prices--but the cast Magic Spear and cast Magic Halberd were both sold for high prices.

 

The cast Magic Spear in particular, due to a bidding war between a man who looked like an explorer and another man who was wearing elegant armour. It was sold for 270 gold coins.

 

Of course, I gave Mara half of the income, since she did a lot of the blacksmithing and taught me how to cast weapons--I just did the Magic Circuits. Well, she returned most of it, saying that I supplied all of the materials as well.

 

I managed to convince her to take some of it, but it was around 10%, but she still got 100 gold or so--she was very happy with the payment of her first proper sales.

 

Since I had gained more profit than I expected, I decided to donate 10 gold coins to the Tenion Emergency Food Distribution, and the Orphanage each.

 

About the notebook that I won, half of it has been torn out. Furthermore, it looks like the one who wrote the notebook is a very cautious guy, he wrote it in an original cipher. When I was trying to decipher it, I acquired the Decryption Skill, after which, I solved it easily.

 

It’s got the way to make: soap, glass and mirrors, chewing gum, toothpaste, etc--

 

They look like they may useful for someone who has just arrived in this world. However, combining both mine and Arisa’s knowledge, we have figured most of them out.

 

Though, there is one lucky find--I got his recipe for curry, which I gave to Lulu--she also got his recipe for different spices, and spaghetti. Arisa cheered when she heard about it, and I would agree. Arisa and I puzzled together a recipe for spaghetti bolognese.

 

Unfortunately, there is no information about the owner.

 

I have the suspicions that it is the third guy that Hayato mentioned, since he seems to be a shrewd guy, let’s hope that he’s currently enjoying his life in Another World.

 

***

“Good evening, Hero Hayato.”

 

I visit the hero’s room as Sine Nomine, wearing slightly more modest clothes, the night before the Hero’s party departs from the Duchy Capital.

 

“Sine Nomine, huh. How did you infiltrate here?”

 

“With a cheat.”

 

It’s a convenient word.

 

Right after I entered the room from the window, the Beastkin girls, who were the Hero’s companions, suddenly apologized. Since forgiving them like that was too easy, they allowed me to stroke their ears as compensation, which was the Hero’s idea--I don’t know why he came up with it, but they have quite nice fluffy ears.

 

Afterwards, the Hero thanked me.

 

But, then he said, ‘want to feel my ears as a ‘thank you’?’, I involuntarily dropped my fist on the Hero’s head.

 

I thought that Ringrande, and Princess Maryest, would complain that I hit the Hero--but it seems that he was usually dealt with like that anyway, so everyone looked like they thought it was a matter of course.

 

Princess Maryest even told me not to go easy on him.

 

He offered me various materials like Mithril, and Orichalcum--which he got from the inside of the labyrinth as a reward. Though he loaned them to the Empire’s arsenal, he didn’t have it at hand.

 

Oops, I forgot the main reason why I came here.

 

“This is?”

 

“I guess you’ve never seen one? It’s a Magic Tool that can change a person into a Demon, you know?”

 

I took a Short Horn from storage and threw it to the Hero--it’s the one from the Demon in Gururian City.

 

“What did you say?!”

“W-Where did you get this?!”

 

The former is Princess Maryest, the later is Ringrande. By the look of her expressions, and her words, apparently Ringrande has heard the thing about the Short Horn from the Duke. Since the Demons have been subjugated in various cities in the Duchy, there’s no way that people who are related to the Duke won’t know.

 

“Did you know about it? Ringrande.”

 

“I’m sorry, since I learned it as a young woman of the Duke Family, I couldn’t disclose it.”

 

What a weirdly stiff person--but she also demonstrated that she is trustable.

 

Although the Duke probably couldn’t openly declare is due to his position, I think he leaked it to her so she could tell the Hero.

 

“Is this Short Horn unusual?” I ask Princess Maryest

 

“Yes, this is the first time I’ve seen it. Even in the long history of the Saga Empire’s fights with the Demons, this item never appears, even once.” She is staring at the Short Horn, fear in her eyes, and her face is pale.

 

It’s a new item huh?

 

“I obtained it when I defeated a Lower Demon in another territory. It looks can’t it can’t be used anymore, so I’ll give it to you if you want, you know?”

 

Maryest thanks me and without receiving it from the Hero, she asks him to place it in his storage.

 

Due to the existence of this item, I’m given a Magic Tool that will enable communication between the Hero and I--It looks like he was intending to give it to me from the beginning, the tool is taken very quickly and easily from his storage.

 

I don’t have a problem with it, we decide to activate it at midnight every 10 days to keep in touch with each other. At first I worried about a tracking function on the Item, but it seems that it can’t tell its location beside the time when I activate the communication--since it’s used to contact spies who infiltrate other countries, it’s made to be undetectable, beside the time of communication.

 

I really want to dismantle it, but I decide to restrain myself.

 

We separate after a quick goodbye, and wishes of good luck--and a smack on the Hero’s head after he makes a joke involving the communication Item and sex-hotlines. One I don’t care to recount…

 

***

I’m unexpectedly free the day before the departure.

 

Since I was doing things like going around greeting my acquaintances, and buying ingredients and flavourings, so that Lulu could make spices and whatever else she required.

 

Everyone has been baptized in the Tenion Temple this morning.

 

>>Skill: Holy Magic: Tenion Belief Acquired.

 

This is, of course, for the sake of being able to be able to be Resurrected by the Head Priestess, in the case of an emergency. For some reason, Arisa and I were the only two who didn’t get baptized. We received the ceremony itself, but we didn’t get the ‘Believer of Tenion’ Title like everyone else.

 

Although it seemed that no one around me knew about it, Sera said, “With this, Tek is also a believer of Tenion.”, while looking very happy.

 

“Tek, please accept this.” Sera handed me an item called Tenion’s Bell. After deciphering the item explanation, it seems to ‘Resonates with the big bell on Tenion Temple.’. Apparently, the big bell in Tenion temple rings when an emergency happens.

 

Luckily it only acts as a receptor--I wouldn’t want to accidentally ring it if I was holding the bell and got bored, and start swinging my hand.

 

“Look, I have it too--we have a matching pair, right?” Sera’s happy smile is seriously cute.

 

***

When we’ve returned to the mansion after the baptism, some visitors are waiting for us.

 

Its the next Baron Muno, the little brother of Karina. He doesn’t have an appointment, but he’s the young son of my employer after all, I guess it’s fine.

 

“Sir Felspar, please forgive me for intruding so suddenly.”

 

“Young lord is always welcome to visit me,” I really can’t get used to speaking like this.

 

“Let’s hear it frankly then. Do you have any intention of marrying Karina?”

 

“Not right now--I prefer to know someone a lot longer before I even think of marriage.”

 

The little brother seems angry, “Are you just going to keep my sister waiting, while the best years of her life are passing!”

 

“No.”

 

“However, didn’t you get along as a couple during the banquet at Gururian City?”

 

The way he says it is as if he believes it’s better that I either marry her straight away, instead of us getting to know each other.

 

“Orion! What are you doing exactly?!” Karina shouts with a strangely frantic look on her face.

 

“Karina,”

 

“What is it?” Karina replies cautiously.

 

“Do you like me?” I want to get her to say it herself--If she does I would be fine with a relationship, but if she denies it, maybe she is too sheltered for a relationship. I don’t want to lead her on, especially since she is innocent and sheltered, having what seems to be her first crush.

 

“W-wha, that--”

 

“Sister?” Orion asked his sister in a firm voice.

 

“T-There’s no way it’s true! Something like me liking Tek, there’s absolutely no way that can happen!” Karina is flustered, her eyes swimming.

 

So it’s true, this type does self-destruct if openly confronted.

 

Raka flashed in warning.

 

“Karina may be more suited to a young noble from an old and honourable line--someone closer to her age, and someone who loves fighting. I don’t think I’m the right person, I already have a lot of girls around me, and she needs to be cared for.”

 

“Hmm, I’m glad that you know your place as a Chevalier.” Orion looks happier.

 

Karina still looks slightly lost and flustered as her brother lead her back out of the mansion.

 

***

I visited the Airship Garage in the afternoon, because they were going to dismantle the Aerodynamic Engine from last night’s dark auction.

 

Along the way to the Garage, I looked for the painting with the moving girl in it from before, but I couldn’t see it since the current paintings were different from the last time.

 

I asked a maid who was taking care of the other artwork, but she said that she didn’t know of such a painting--while looking at me dubiously. That reminds me, when I mentioned it during one of the tea parties I went to, they thought I was just boasting.

 

I wonder if I was half-asleep and was mistaken.

 

There were a lot of people in the Garage, so I couldn’t look closely at the Engine, so I moved to a better position and used Clairvoyance to inspect the Engine.

 

It looked like an air cooling radiator with many fins--the fins are made from parts of something called an Air Fish--it seems that the fin gains buoyancy by sending Magic through the air.

 

I quickly checked my storage, there are several parasites from the Monstrous Fish, so I quickly dismantle them using the functions of the storage--but since they can’t be used as is, I’ll process them along the way to the Bornean Forest.

 

***

Next morning, the Earl couple, with all of their employees sent us off as we departed from the Duchy Capital.

 

Karina seems to still want to be with me--she wanted to tag along, but since I left her with a large amount of documents and letters for Nina, she reluctantly to go back to the Muno Territory. This should help her either sort out her feelings, or get over me.

 

I also entrusted cast Magic Swords for Sir Zotol, and Hauto. Also, I secretly give the maid manager, Pina, the traveling expenses for their trip back.

 

When the ship has begun to depart, Sera comes to see us off. Please stop waving your hands while crying like it’s a final farewell--I think I may be tearing up as well--I hate goodbyes.

 

After spending a day and a night, we got off the ship at a town along the way, it had less than 10,000 people as its population. From here, we will be traveling by wagon, after such a long time. Along the way to the Bornean Forest, there’s another town of the same scale as this one, but beside that--the rest are small villages.

 

Now, let’s go to the Elven Forest.

21