Vol 10 – Chapter 9 – Labyrinth Exploration (Part 3)
770 22 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tek here, I never prepare, other than joining a party, when clearing dungeons in games--which is the normal way of doing it. But, in real life, the problem of food and water is real and looms over you. Though, in a fantasy world, at least the problem with water can easily be solved using Magic.

 

There are only 10 Labyrinth Ants left of the original 30 Ants. Halfway through, some of the Ants that Nana had failed to Provoke almost surrounded Pochi and Tama, but Arisa and Mia supported them from the rear with Magic.

 

“Tama! I’ll make a wall on the left, so attack from the right. Right is the direction with the fork!”

“Aye!”

 

Arisa’s Magic, Isolation Wall is particularly effective. It looks light the more advanced version of this Magic, Maze, can create Spacial walls that form a maze which can lock enemies within. It seems that the Magic consumption is quite large, but she said that she’d like to try it when the trailing Ants catch up.

 

The female Adventurer party who we saved earlier are still around, and after they understood that their assistance is unnecessary, they began to intently the vanguard’s battles. Judging from the words of admiration that occasionally seem to slip unbidden out of their mouths, they are fascinated.

 

Although the main body of the Ant swarm won’t be arriving in another 10 minutes, a groups of Ants are closing in using the Monster-only passages that connect to this corridor. It’s a group of a little over 20 Ants.

 

“Rustle-rustle?”

“There are sounds coming from the other side of the wall!”

 

It looks like Tama and Pochi have detected the crawling Ants inside the wall, even while they’re fighting. They’ve done well, to manage that while in the middle of an intense battle.

 

“Tek, Sign Monument.” Mia points at the light which is flashing blue and red, like it’s trying to go violet. I wonder if it’s reacting to the enemies that are on the other side of the passage.

 

“Noble, that’s the sign that a Gushing Hole is going to be created, Monsters will come out of those holes.” Gena warned me.

 

It’s not from the main battlefield where Liza and the others are, but from the area behind us. The passage wall, that looks like a normal stone wall, is thinning out like a mucus membrane, turning into small passages.

 

Now then, I guess I should take care of this one.

 

I drew out the Fairy Sword and cut the Ants, gushing from the wall, in half with a single stroke. I was careful not to damage the Magic Cores.

 

A small passage was also created behind the female Adventurers, and a single ant is crawling out of it. I warn them, since the don’t seem to notice it, “Behind you.”

 

“Eh? There’s a Gushing Hole here too! Gena, let’s do it.”

“Yes. You two, please get away.” Gena gestures for the carrier sisters to withdraw further back.

 

More about this Adventurer party, Beautiful Wings. Iruna, the leader, is level 18, and Gena, is level 16. The Ant is level 15, so they should be able to win fairly easily.

 

Or so I thought, but they’re having a surprisingly difficult fight. They thrust their short spears while blocking the attack with their wooden shields, but the Ant’s exoskeleton repels the attacks and they don’t seem to damage it. They should have aimed for the gaps in the shell, like Pochi and Tama do.

 

Since the Ant was showing signs of attacking with Acid towards the beauty, I picked up an ant’s claw from the remains below my feet and  throw it at the Ant’s neck, to disturb it.

 

I took tongs from my bag, using it to pick up the Magic Cores, putting them into a small bag.

 

Liza and the others’ fight seems like it will be over soon. When I looked back over at the girls of the Beautiful Wings, I saw that they’re still in the middle of fighting the Ant, so even though it might be meddlesome of me, I sever the Ant’s head, ending the battle.

 

This much should be easy for a ‘Level 50 Hero’.

 

The girls thank me, I reply with a nod and wave of my hand, quickly going to where Liza and the others are--they have finished their battle.

 

“Master, should I commence collecting the materials?”

 

“Just the Magic Cores. The Ant’s shells are rather soft, so there shouldn’t be any need for it.”

 

“Master, the shell should be usable for making armour and weapons. I believe that the claws would be suited to make daggers or sickles.” Liza said, closely inspecting the remains. She then explained that in her hometown, Monster Ant remains were highly valued for making equipment.

 

Although it’s weak enough to be broken by normal iron swords, it seems that there aren’t enough materials for making equipment, since the people here even use wood for armour--so, I guess that it might be good if we bring the Ant materials above the ground.

 

“Meat?”

“We won’t have a meat festival?”

“Let’s not. Ant’s meat is bitter, and not at all delicious. There are some cases where children get food poisoning when they eat it.”

 

I feel sorry for Pochi and Tama who look disappointed, but I’ll treat them to some of the meals that I have stored, later. So, please put up with baked sweets and water for now.

 

***

“Noble, here it is.” Iruna presented a Magic Core, which she had taken from an Ant.

 

“Isn’t that from the one that you two defeated? If it’s for a reward, your words from earlier are already enough.” I gently pushed her hand back, “Rather than that, you should escape soon. My companion’s Magic has detected a swarm of Labyrinth Ants coming here. They will get here in less than a quarter of an hour.”

 

“Noble, you won’t run?”

 

“We’ll escape after holding them back adequately.”

 

The female Adventurers and baggage carriers slowly got to their feet and began to escape. I catch sight of the Ant Nectar that the older sister was carrying on her back--the Ants are probably chasing after that.

 

Now then, let’s prepare for the next battle.

 

I gather everyone and replenish their Magic Power with Magic Power Transfer (Transfer). It’s quicker than using Magic Recovery Potions, and it’s free--it also seems to feel quite…pleasant.

 

While I’m at it, I use Soft Wash and Dry, to wash off the Ant blood.

 

“Then, I’ll set up the Maze from here to the corner over there, okay.”

 

“Can you make it so that the walls won’t let them come through, but will let our attacks pass?”

 

“Nn, I do have Isolation Cage, but the enemies’ attacks will also pass through, so it’s not suitable for enemies that use long-range attacks.”

 

“No problem. First everyone will attack with their Magic Shotguns, and Mia will use Water Screen to block the enemies’ acid attacks.”

 

“Okay.”

“Nn.”

 

After the mini-briefing is over, Arisa uses Maze to create a lattice. Since it’s radiating a dim light, I can see its shape. Stabs and shots can pass through it--but slashing attacks will be stopped.

 

I set up Flexible Shield just in case. It’s an insurance from when some acid attacks that pass through the lattice and can’t be defended by Mia’s spell.

 

“They’ve come.”

“Everyone, take your positions?”

 

Everyone is readying their Magic Shotguns behind the impromptu defensive wall that’s been created by piling up the Ants’ remains, with a cloth on top.

 

The large swarm of Ants show up from around the corner, rushing this way with the resounding ‘click’s of their solid claws on the ground. It’s fairly intense, even though we’re behind a Magic lattice.

 

Mia and Lulu lean against me, one on each side, seeming worried. I gently stroke their hair, embracing them against me.

 

The Ants crash into the Maze spell, scattering bodily fluids. They can’t stand the weight of their friends, crushing them from behind, their health rapidly depleting.

 

After waiting for around five minutes, all of the Ants have gathered in this corridor.

 

“Shoot!” I order, and the seven gun muzzles incessantly rain down countless Magic blasts. I secretly adjust everyone’s muzzle with Magic Hand, so as to make them hit as many enemies as possible.

 

“Nana, Pochi, Tama, put down your guns and prepare for close combat.”

 

The shooting is finished, and Arisa invokes Maze again. Afterwards, the Monster extermination process is as simple as defeating the current vanguard Ants, and then Arisa lets some more in.

 

Nana and Pochi sometimes got caught in the Ants’ attacks, but their armour kept them from taking damage.

 

The vanguards are the only ones busy, the rearguard are also doing their work. It looks that managing the Maze is difficult for Arisa. Too many enemies have gathered in one section of the Maze, so she has to readjust the path.

 

Mia is working hard to follow up with Binding Mist when there are too many enemies, and Blinding Mist to decrease their accuracy.

 

Since I’m free, only watching everyone, I use Magic Hand to gather the defeated Ants and lay them against the wall.

 

Since Lulu doesn’t have anything to do after shooting the Magic Shotgun the first time, so she’s begun to retrieve the Magic Core of the Ants I have gathered. She’s not only wearing mittens but also an apron and a hood, so her hair and clothing doesn’t get dirty.

 

After they’ve defeated around half the enemies, the vanguards look very tired, so it’s better if they take a short break, I guess?

 

“Arisa, I want to let the vanguards rest, do you have enough Magic Power to maintain the Maze?”

 

“Okay, it’ll be dangerous if they become lightheaded after all. I can reduce Magic Power consumption if I only need to maintain Maze, so it’s alright if I just drink some MP Recovery Potion later.

 

“Alright, then let’s take a break after they’ve defeated the enemies that they’re currently fighting.”

 

Pochi and Tama vigourously said, “Not yet?”, and “I can do it!”, but they were visibly staggering, so I made them drink water and eat sandwiches which Lulu made with salted ham and mayonnaise.

 

Since everyone is quite young, they become much more energetic after taking a short break and napping for around 30 minutes. Arisa has recovered her Magic Power after only a single bottle of MP Recovery Potion, and Magic Power Transferal, so the second round begins.

 

It seems that the Ants who didn’t come in this direction are rioting all over the first area of the labyrinth, but the Beautiful Wings from before have safely made it out.

 

After the Ants have been completely exterminated, Pochi and Tama sit down, the have a look of accomplishment and large grins on their faces. Since Liza and Nana were also totally exhausted, I decided to make a temporary camp on the higher ground.

 

Everyone seems really tired, they all sleep like logs.

 

I keep watch, while Lulu lays next to me with her head in my lap and a peaceful smile. She was originally keeping watch, but since she did such a good job with dismantling, I said she should sleep.

 

Nevertheless, even with the level gaps, they still leveled up.

 

Labyrinths are quite efficient.

23