Chapter 1. (Perspective: Vandaleu.)
1.6k 14 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note

Just a quick FYI, this first chapter I used a little bit of a play-write style to write this. It was actually the common style used for the mini fan-fics we would often write in the LCD, so I had kinda gotten in the habit and used that here. If I ever happen to re-write this, the format will likely be different.

----

Van and Ainz.

Setting: We are out a few years after Alda has been defeated, and Sam has evolved even further into a carriage that has the ability to cross dimensions. Van has decided to start exploring interdimensionally by world hopping just for the fun of it as a pass time whenever he decides to have a vacation. He has left his mother along with Bakunawa in charge of Vidal as he goes out with only Sam, the sisters, and Gufadgarn.

After arriving in this world, Van has heard rumors of a city of undead ruled by an undead king and wants to check it out. Time setting is a little bit after the most recent episode of the anime without much progress toward what starts happening after this in the light novels. (however, I will be borrowing from volume 12 of the LN in order to establish what daily life is like in Erantel now.)

Start: Van has just arrived at the gates of Erantel aboard Sam.

Vandaleu was rather interested to see this city of undead he had heard rumored so much about. There were several people in the surrounding kingdoms talking about people being used as slaves and oppressed daily by the undead that lived there under the rule of the undead king. However, there were also rumors that the people happily lived along side the undead under the rule of a wise and benificent king. He did not know which to believe, he would reserve judgement until he saw it for himself.

Rita: So, what do you think it’s going to be like in this city of Erantel? Which of the rumors do you think will be true?

Saria: I don’t know, but of course if the one about the people being enslaved is true we are going to help them right?

Rita: It’s really not nice to think about undead enslaving humans after living with Bochan for so long, but I bet it’s going to be fine. If they have a king, I bet he’s going to be a king just like Bochan.

Saria: Bochan is an Emperor though.

Rita: Oh yes, there is that.

Gufadgar: Personally, I can’t wait to have this king meet the great Vandaleu sama. I’m certain the king of this country won’t be able to help but immediately see the incredible greatness of Vandaleu sama and will immediately bow to him and pledge his allegance to the Vidal empire.

Van: I hope such a thing does not happen. That would create several complications. However, if he is actually an undead then that possibility cannot be discounted. I will have to think about what to do when the time comes.

Rita: Well, I’m sure it will work out.

Van: Hmmm… yes. Well, at any rate, it sounds as though the rumor about the living being oppressed by the dead in this city is all nothing but a rumor after all. In fact, it sounds as though the towns folk are treated quite nice in this city.

Rita: Oh? Are we close enough now for the spirits to come out and meet you?

Van: Yes, we should be seeing the city soon.

Sam: Bochan! Everyone! Come up to the front, this is quite a sight!

Everyone comes to the front of Sam’s carriage and looks out the front. Since they are going to a city of undead, they did not see a reason to bring along any normal horses, so instead it is pulled by 3 ghostly white horses that are actually an extension of Sam’s body. From a distance, nobody would be able to tell the difference between these horses and a normal white horse. However, on closer inspection it would become clear that the horses are not breathing and this would likely give it away.

This was something Van and the rest were quite used to by this point. What was captivating their attention was the sight in front of them. The road had recently turned from dirt to cobble stone as they approached the city, and the sight of the city gate was quite incredible. The entire city was surrounded by tall walls as tall as a true giant, and they were decorated with sculptures and archetecture that spoke to the long history of this place.

Van: Hmm…

Rita: Bochan, what are you thinking about?

Van: I was just wondering about the walls of Talosheim. Perhapse if I were to add more sculptures like that the golem defense of the walls would be stronger. No, actually I’m not certain it would make that much of a difference.

Rita: Well, it is a nice idea though. If it doesn’t make a difference then at least it would make the walls look nice.

Van: Yes, I will have to study the architectural techniques.

Gufadgarn: I’m certain anything Vandaleu sama makes will be at least as good if not better than what we see before us, and I’m certain the beautiful archetecture will make the people of Talosheim happy.

Saria: Yeah, it will be nice to look at sculptures like that whenever we pass through the walls.

Sam: Uhh… uh-oh.

Rita: Father, what’s wrong? Oh!

Van: It looks like someone is coming out.

What everyone was reacting to was that a large number of black armored skeleton figures wielding gigantic swords and tower shields were marching from the city in formation at that moment.

Van: Perhaps they are leaving at the same time as we are coming in. It is likely nothing to be concerned about.

Sam: Maybe we should get off the road?

Before Sam could begin doing as he suggested though, the ranks split among the black armored skeletons and they were filing onto either side of the road. They were not readying themselves for combat though. The large black-armored skeletons formed ranks on either side of the road and then turned and with an impressive sound they all took up honor-guard positions on either side of the road in perfect synchronization.

Van: Well, they are certainly well disciplined. Is the king coming out at this time perhaps? We probably should get off the road after all.

Saria: But Bochan, don’t you think it’s also possible they may be coming out to welcome you?

Rita: Yeah, if they were charmed like the spirits, that’s very possible it might be what they are doing.

Vandaleu suddenly had a flash back to a time when he was only a year old in this life and had gone into a dungeon full of undead. Indeed, at that time the undead of the dungeon were lining up in a manner very similar to this.

Van: Oh. This is quite a problem if that is the case.

Sam: Should we wait to see if someone else really does come out?

They all looked curiously down the road and through the great gates to the city looking for some sign that someone might be coming out. Instead, the only thing that they saw were more of these large black skeletons gathering and lining up along the sides of the road as they seem to be gathering from every side street in order to meet them.

Van: No, they seem to be gathering together from inside the city. If it was in order to escort their king I am certain they would have gathered together at the castle and would have already been in formation as they escorted him. I don’t think we can look at this any other way than that they have come to meet us. Let’s go on through.

As such, they proceeded through the gate to the sight of a very stunned gate keeper watching them from the side. It seemed as though the gate keeper was a perfectly normal human. The poor guy must not know what was going on at all, so they decided to stop and talk to him.

Van: Umm… hello.

Gatekeeper: What!? Umm… yes! Yes! Are you, uhh… associates of the Sorcerer King?

The man was clearly very shaken and visibly sweating.

Saria: Bochan, I don’t think he was expecting us to talk to him given the circumstances here.

Van: Well, we are just normal visitors to the city, so it’s proper to go through the proper procedures. Anyway, (van addresses the gate guard) we do not know the Sorcerer King. However, we have come hoping to meet him.

Gatekeeper: Ah! Yes! Well, he has made the govorner’s mansion into his castle here! It, uhh… it is down this main road at the center of the city.

After this exchange, Vandaleu and the gate keeper continue to stare at each other for a while, the gate keeper with uncomfortable and skittish eyes and Vandaleu with his usual empty expressionless eyes. In the mean time, a lot of attention was being gathered from the towns people who had clearly taken notice of the large size black armored skeleton knights lining up in honor formation lines across the street.

Gatekeeper: Uhh… was there something else?

Van: Don’t you need to inspect our carriage or something? I just told you, I am not a guest of your king. You will get in trouble if you don’t do your job properly right?

Gatekeeper: Ah! Uhh… I…! Yes! Then I’ll be… Whaa!?

The gate keeper runs around Sam’s carriage with a flustered demeanor, and then when he sticks his head inside he makes a surprised scream.

Gatekeeper: Why is it so big inside here!?

The inside of Sam’s carriage was truly spacious. Since there was so much room inside now, a 2 story house had been built in the middle of the bed of the carriage. There was easily plenty of room to allow for it and there was even still plenty of space to store things, and it was by no means a small house. It was certainly built for luxury and comfort, like a villa, and it was complete with all the appliances that Van had invented and even had an alchemy work space in one of the rooms as well as sleeping quarters for as many as 12 people to live inside it comfortably.

It was really no wonder the gatekeeper was flustered. Because of this, the inspection took some time. It was really not too long though. Given the scale of all this, it seemed he decided that all he would have to check for is to make sure they were not exploiting this space magic to drive in with an army. Confirming Van, the 2 sisters, and Sam were the only ones in here, Gufadgarn remaining hidden in the subspace behind Van, the gatekeeper decided that was good enough and they were declared as acceptable to enter the city.

Gatekeeper: Umm… uhh… by the way, ummm…

The gatekeeper seemed to have something else he wanted to say and was repeatedly looking up to the large skeleton knights and then back to them.

Van: Yes? Was there something else you wanted to say?

Gatekeeper: Yes! Uhh… Well, you see… It’s uhh… about these uhhh… death knights. I…

Van: Yes, I am sorry about causing a spectical. Unfortunately, I have an ability that causes undead to just act like this sometimes. I really have no control over it.

Gatekeeper: Right! Umm… well, they sorta act like our enforcers in the town. They will normally attack and kill anyone who does violence to anyone else in town, so…

Van: Ah, yes. I understand.

With this, Van jumps down off the carriage and looks in both directions and raises his voice

Van: You should return to your usual duties and do as you normally do.

At Vandaleu’s word, all the knights turn toward the inside of the city at once and begin marching back in, dispersing and walking down the streets careful not to knock into any of the curiously onlooking townspeople.

Sam: Well then, does that settle the problems? I apologize for any inconvenience our Bochan’s ability may have caused.

Gatekeeper: Ah! No! Well, I hope you have a pleasant stay.

The man was clearly shaken by the encounter.

Van: Umm… are you alright?

Gatekeeper: YES! I mean… Well, I have to admit I really don’t know what is going on anymore.

Van: It’s ok, just think of us as normal guests passing through like anyone else. Well, thank you very much for your help.

25