Chapter 8- Darkness
282 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WARNING: This chapter contains disturbing events. Will trigger traumas that contain violence and abuse. Kindly skip some parts.

Chapter 8- Darkness

The frost season has already started and just like the heavy weather, the atmosphere at La Papillonne is dreadful. The memories of death lingered through the minds of the orphans and caused solemn fear to everyone including Elise.

Elise did not sleep and stayed awake until morning. Beth, who is quiet now with tears in her eyes, didn't move because of the shock. Elise hardly got her grief together and started to move to change clothes disposing of her plain pajamas.

The whole estate is quiet. The fear and terror didn’t leave their minds. The unknown people who trespassed the estate still in the vicinity of the orphanage guarding the whole place. Elise still doesn't know the situation. Few days ago, Alicia went to the Forbe estate then the orphanage got attacked by unknown men.

 

"Go to the hall! All of you!"

 

A sudden shout and knocking at the door made Elise jump in. She put her guard and decided to help Beth that was still not in herself.

"You better brace yourself Beth, we are still in danger. Change your clothes and let's go outside."

They walk out the door of their room and go to the hall with the remaining children. The orphans are scared and obediently sitting at the ground. Beth and Elise followed the line and sat quietly.

"It's still morning and all of you stink. I really hate doing this job."

The man Elise saw last night commented with disgust after eyeing them. Elise feels hatred toward the bastard. She is frustrated and helpless. How can she live now? She wanted to blame the book or the author for making this kind of story.

"I will divide you by age. Do not sneak out, do not ask for help, do not ask questions and just follow orders. You orphans really disgust me. Why does the reader say that a low born like you will get a divine power? Tsk"

Elise heard the man keep blabbing about readers and divine power. Isn't it about the Saint? She listened carefully. She quickly analyzes the situation and comes to the conclusion. Alicia after celebrating her thirteen birthday got adopted and left the estate as soon as possible. Alicia also mentioned her awakening. Alicia, who thought she was awakened as a magician, left the place to study at the academy. Then later the night some unknown men attacked them and killed the children aged fifteen which was in the original story, the book said that Alicia will become the Saint after fighting the attackers on her fifteen years of age.

The book never mentioned the readers but it did make sense now. How do people assume Alicia to be the next Saint if no one predicted it beforehand?

Magician? the Church? Elise is thinking too deeply that she didn’t pay attention to her surroundings. The children are moving already to the designated group leaving them behind.

"Hey bitch move!"

Beth startles at the voice of the man after seeing the annoyed glare, the stare goes to Elise. He pointed out Elise to be in the last group and ordered her to move with them.

Elise didn't know what would happen to them. There are ten children aged twelve to thirteen that are walking in the dark alley. Elise didn't know that this place exists at the orphanage. It's like a secret passage and to some point Elise is so nervous. She never says it but her whole body is trembling dramatically.

They finally arrive at the dark alley. The light spread to Elise's eyes and her face screamed in panic. A prison...

There are twenty prisoners in the dark alley. Elise who is in her poker face blinks many times and her heart continues to beat vigorously.

"Welcome to your new rooms!"

A terrible laugh echoed in the place of endless darkness. Elise wanted to run away and leave the place faster. She is never frightened all her life even after waking up in the new world but now. She will die. All her instincts scream how dangerous her situation is but Elise didn't say anything. Her voice is paralyzed just like her body. After a moment, Elise is thrown inside the prison cell. Elise heard the plea of the children and begged for mercy.

"Please sir, I will do anything... just please don't leave me here"

An orphan tried to beg the man to spare her life and planned to escape but it’s all futile. Elise witnesses magic and suddenly the body of the girl lifts into air and explodes. The blood splash at the ground and a thud sound of the lifeless body of the girl cruelly drop in the ground.

"Fuck! I got stink"

Elise trembles in her prison cell. She wanted to vomit. Her eyes witness how the body of a girl blown up and she is dizzy at the scene. After a while, Elise in distress burst into tears.

 

"What the hell is this?"

 

Elise is scared and desperate, she witnesses a gruesome murder and cried miserably.

"I don't want to be here. .."

A thud sound of the door echoed the place and the darkness reigned in the entire surrounding. Loud cries from the children's misfortune would be heard at the fearsome cold prison.

 

Elise fainted afterwards.

 

 

END OF CHAPTER 8…

11