Chapter 52 part 2
523 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dawnstar shone through the windows as birds chirping outside woke Kane up. He raised his upper body, casting his gaze everywhere. He was still in Sharon’s bedroom, stark naked. The bed reeked of sweat and other pungent odors. So, everything was… real? Harder to accept that rather than believing yesterday was a fleeting wet dream.

Beside him, Sharon was sleeping soundly, lying bare. The ray of light beamed on the side of her serene face, highlighting her prominent cheekbone. Kane wanted to give another go, but he was too sore for that. He got up and when he put his clothes back, Sharon called.

“Good morning, Kane. You’re leaving so soon?”

“Yes.” He finished buttoning up his shirt and wore his trousers. “But, I wanna take a bath first, if that’s alright for me.”

“Mn, let’s do it together, then.” She reached for her wardrobe and wrapped herself in a long robe.

“Huh? No, thanks. I can wash myself just fine.”

“That’s not what I meant, you silly. I suggested that we save our time. ”

“Hm, you’re right.” Kane nodded and ambled toward the door.

“Wait! Don’t open it yet!” shouted Sharon.

He halted immediately. “Why?”

Instead of answering his question, she mumbled a chant. Then, bluish light glowed from behind the paintings and the cupboard before fading away.

“Did you set up a trap in this room?” Kane stared at her, astonished. He’d had a bad feeling since entering the room, and the whole thing seemed too easy. Fortunately, he didn’t pick the most obvious option.

“Just in case you chose the Black Feather. The trap would simply incapacitate you, so be at ease,” she explained.

He didn’t take her words at face value, though he might believe her considering she warned him. Kane basically made her richer after all; she would try to take advantage of him as much as she could, given her personality.

“So, you were lying at that time?” asked Kane.

“Was I?” She smirked. “I did say you’re free to take it, but that doesn’t mean nothing will happen after that.”

“But that means…”

“Let’s not discuss that further, shall we? You’ve received your reward, all things considered.”

Kane shrugged before opening the door. In front of him, the butler from yesterday stood upright. A cube-shaped trolley parked next to him, filled with black spare clothing. His eyes seemed to penetrate through Kane’s body as if Kane was invisible. When Sharon approached them, the butler bowed to greet her before escorting them to the bathroom.

At the end of the hallway, they stepped into the said room. The walls, floors, and even the bathtub were made of marbles. Steamy hot water filled the circular tub. On the corner, a bunch of towels and bathrobes sat there.

After the butler went away, Sharon removed her robe first; Kane followed. They washed each other first with a scrubber, cleaning every nook and cranny before dipping into the tub. The heat permeated his skin. It felt so good! As Kane sat facing toward her, she rested against the oblique edge.

“Haa, bathing feels exhilarating, especially after a great night, don’t you think?” said Sharon, exhaling a long sigh.

“Did you really enjoy it?”

“Kane, we wouldn’t be doing that thrice in a row, if I didn’t.”

“Huh. Here I thought that was just another night to you.”

“So, you’re saying that I’m that kind of girl?”

“You seemed to be experienced.”

“I am, but I’m quite picky when choosing a partner. It wasn’t as if I would do it out of lust.”

“I see.”

“It’s a shame to admit this, but…” She looked elsewhere. “You’re the first one… to make me enjoy the act. Furthermore, I had done it to simply gain connections or accomplish… a certain goal; however, people tend to notice these sorts of things, and I never wish to be seen as a cheap woman. Thus, I’ve stopped having partners after transferring to Niflenia Academy.”

She then cast a downward gaze. “I won’t blame you if you’re disappointed in me for being rotten. Men prefer pure girls, I know that.”

Kane then touched her cheek, staring at her eyes.

“W-what are you up to?”

“Don’t sell yourself short, Sharon. A girl’s worth isn’t based on their chastity alone,” he said before returning to his previous position.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Unless you’re telling me this to pity you, then the answer is no.”

“Of course not. I don’t need anyone’s pity,” Sharon curved a little smile, then sighed again. “Then again, I might’ve needed that sometimes. Thank you, I suppose.”

“This side of you is pretty cute,” he said.

“Why is that?”

“I’m also not sure. Perhaps I like you better when you’re not putting a facade, though that doesn’t mean you should drop it altogether.”

“Fufufu, I understand what you mean. I only drop my facade around people I deemed close.”

“Wait, does that mean—”

“I-I’m getting out first!” Sharon stood up suddenly. She then dried herself with a towel before wearing a bathrobe.

Kane half-smiled. The first time he met her, Sharon came across as a heartless deceiver who lured a male for her benefits. Now? She still was but the heartless part. While she sounded sincere, there was a chance that she wasn’t. He had to keep his guard up, as always.

They got dressed in her room. Due to having no spare clothes, Kane wore a white shirt and pants owned by the butler. It fit him nicely. On the other hand, Sharon was wearing a black linen dress. A casual outfit for everyday activities. That also meant this day had no school activities.

When they walked down by the hallway, she halted her steps. Kane turned around and asked, “What’s wrong, Sharon?”

Fiddling with her fingers, her eyes were sour and staring at the ground. “Kane, did you enjoy our company? Despite everything I’ve done?”

“Apart from getting kidnapped and stripped of my freedom, I enjoyed everything, especially last night. That alone cancels all of my resentment towards you.”

“I understand… I’m happy to hear that.” She smiled yet it displayed a mere emptiness.

“But, you sound the opposite. Why?”

“Because… we must part ways.”

Suddenly, a misty black aura manifested, shrouding her body. It lasted for a while before revealing a different woman. Her limbs were dark purple, embellished with occasional black lines. The outlandish amber eyes contained grief within their beauty. Twin curved little horns grew from each side of her head. Her hair had now changed into burgundy with streaks of black strands.

“You’re… a demon?”

“A quarter-succubus, to be precise,” she said with an ethereal voice. “Let me introduce myself once more. I am Sharon Cidermont Aravides of House Aravides, a daughter of a half-demonic family.”

He stood frozen, cow-eyed.

“You must be shaken, I understand. Everyone who has seen my true appearance feared—”

“So beautiful…” uttered Kane, mesmerized.

She flinched, clutching her chest. “E-enough nonsense! The truth is, I offered my body to you because of a requirement to use my ability.”

“Don’t tell me… it’s a hypnotizing ability? No wonder your underlings were strange!”

“You catch on quick. After I perform a… special technique, I can mind-control them for some time.” Sharon’s face turned somber. “I won’t do that to you. All I want is for you to forget everything — everything that involves me and Ral.”

“Because of the Black Feather, isn’t it?”

She nodded. “Yes. Forgive me, Kane. I, too, enjoyed our time together, I truly do. But, this is the end.”

Her pupils dilated and turned into crimson color. “Farewell.”

An invisible wave emanated from her, passing through Kane. He lost his balance due to a sudden change within his brain. It persisted for a while before returning to his normal state.

“…”
“…”

Alas, nothing happened.

Both were standing still in awkward silence. Kane arched his brows. The ability seemed to not affect him? Judging from her face, she was also as confused as him.

“Well?” asked Kane.

“H-how…?” Her mouth trembled. “Don’t tell me, you have already done it with other girls—”

“I haven’t!” He turned around and strode away. “I’ll just leave right away and pretend I’ve never heard anything.”

“No! Come back!” Sharon then cast three binding black chains at him.

Kane sidestepped, dodging the chains and slapping the wall. He stumbled a little before sprinting as fast as he could. Sharon then leaped forward, chasing him with ease. He tried to cast [Lesser Firebombs]; he failed. Leaving the hallway, he reached for the staircase. She cast another chain. Kane ducked before it touched him. Grabbing the railing, he vaulted it over onto the first floor.

After tumbling on the floor, he fumbled toward the door. However, a familiar man leaned against the door’s frame and held one foot against the opposite, blocking the entrance. Grinning, he narrowed his eyes at Kane.

“Ral! You were here all the time.” Kane stopped.

“Heh, to think you’d resist her Tempting Gaze. Very good!” praised Ral. “Too bad, it’s all futile! Now, kneel before me!”

A huge burst of killing intent exploded forth. His dreadful gaze akin to a sadistic torturer devising ways to inflict innumerable wounds to his victim. A man who had murdered hundreds of people with his hands. The insurmountable sins of hateful spirits befell upon the helpless observer.

That’s what normal people would feel. Kane, on the other hand, took a detour to another room instead.

“Hey! How can you still move!? Wait up!” He abandoned his pose and chased after Kane.

Passing through the archway, Kane found himself in a dining room, judging from the long table with eight seats with a basketful of breads. On the side of the room, three tall windows were built; they were all opened, leaving enough space for a person. Naturally, he jumped over one of them and slipped through the gap.

“Stop running away, Kane!” shouted Ral.

Only idiots would stop and turn back. Kane dashed forward, crossing the front yard toward the gated entrance. The gate was locked. Crap. He had no choice but to climb it. The iron fence was hard to grip, slowing him down.

Behind him, Ral and Sharon had already halfway caught Kane up. At this rate, he wouldn’t be able to escape!

“Ral, that’s enough!” commanded Sharon. Her breathing was frantic.

“Huh?”

Based on their lack of sounds of footsteps, they stopped chasing him. At that moment, Kane managed to mount the gate before vaulting off to outside, leaving them behind as the gate reverberated.

---

“Why did you let him go? He knows our secret!” grunted Ral.

Sharon returned to her human form as she walked back to the manor. “We already have the Black Feather. Whether he will leak our true identity, I will take full responsibility.”

“Fine.” He placed his hands on his hips. “Where is it?”

“Wait. You were staying inside the manor as I told you, weren’t you? Didn’t you hear something falling outside?”

“I did, but there was nothing there! I thought it was just a rat or something,” he said.

“That can’t be. Kane threw the box away from my room!”

“Huh, that’s weird. I must’ve overlooked it since it was dark outside.”

They both stared at each other for a moment before rushing toward the side of the house. Following the stony path, they arrived in a narrow pathway between the hedges that were covering half of the fences and the manor’s wall. They looked upward toward Sharon’s bedroom window, then downward toward the grass.

“There’s… nothing here!” screamed Sharon, distressed.

“I told you. Are you sure that Kane did that from there?” Ral asked again.

“I saw it with my very own eyes! He said that the box was distracting him!”

“Why can’t the box be found, then?”

“I… I don’t know!” Sharon fell to her knees. “Just… how?”

---

“Phew, that was close,” muttered Kane under his breath. Currently, he strolled at a brisk pace on the cobblestone path. Where was he now? Big manors everywhere he turned, so he had to be in a noble residential area. He wanted to ask someone, but nobody was around except occasional carriages passing by. If he couldn’t find a way out, at least that person should be around here somewhere.

Then, a blue carriage ornamented with white intricate motifs approached and parked beside him, pulled by two winged horses without any driver. The door opened, revealing a grey mannequin in a Niflenia mage robe. Sitting with one leg resting on top of another, its eyes glowed blue light.

On the other side of the seat, there was a box — the jade box that contained the feather, still tied together with a teleporting stone and a mana shard; their color had faded away. A large rough crystal sitting next to them was a beacon — same as the one back in the exam’s entrance, except much smaller.

The mannequin rotated its head. “You have arrived at last, Kane,” it said with a male baritone voice,

“Sorry to keep you waiting, Sir Reynar.”

14