Chapter 56
623 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Abandon and seal away… my vis?” Kane couldn’t believe what he just heard. What nonsense did Maur spout?

“Your ears are still working, I see.”

“For how long?”

“Possibly forever.”

Kane blinked twice. “Why?”

“I recently discovered that cultivating both vis and mana will harm the growth of either. Although most people choose one path only due to time constraints, this issue wasn’t as prevalent as the former — not even close. Despite their sources being stored in different parts of your body, they both still occupy your body. It’s similar to water and oil — they never merge even if you pour them into the same container. Understand?” explained Maur.

“I get it, but how does this concern you? Isn’t your job supposed to teach magic only?”

“I want my students fully committed to pursuing magic. I find unsuccessful students truly humiliating for my status as a renowned teacher.” He crossed his arms. “So, what will your answer be?”

“Is there any alternative?”

“There is. You may go ahead, cultivate both and be mediocre at both aspects, I won’t stop you,” said Maur sarcastically. “Look, boy. All I’m saying is for you to be decisive whether you desire to become a competent mage or not.”

“I… need time to think this over. Vis is a huge part of my life. Frankly, I don’t know what I should do without it,” said Kane. Not only that, it saved him many, many times. He probably wouldn’t be alive right now if he hadn’t awakened his vis yet.

“Fine. Take your sweet, limited time as we merely have two days max. I shall tell you why after you’ve made your decision.”

Finished training, Kane returned to the school’s ground late at night as usual. He entered his dorm room before sinking into his bed. Staring at the ceiling, Kane heaved a long, deep sigh. Should he sacrifice the biggest reason that he became a saint?

While the answer was obvious if he wanted to get stronger, it wasn’t something to easily let go of. What if he encountered a difficult situation that requires him to use vis to survive? The thought made him shudder. Even if the pursuit of magic became easier, there was no point if he died in the process.

Kane kept mulling it over and over until he fell asleep.

---

The next morning, Kane attended the class as usual. Today is the day for bi-weekly Physical Education, his favorite lesson. All of the first years were gathered in the massive building where the Swordsmanship club also held.

They partook in some kind of popular sport among young magicians that involved a head-sized slime ball and two identical holes on each opposing side of the field. The goal was to insert the ball using nothing but magic without hurting each other. At first, Kane wasn’t interested until Brian forced him to try it; he felt too old. He enjoyed it, admittedly — even though it took a while to learn the rules.

However, today Kane simply remained seated on the audience benches alone, watching them play while contemplating his decision over Maur’s request. He occasionally sighed and stared at the ground.

“Kane! Do you want to join us?” shouted Brian from the field.

“Not now,” rejected Kane.

Then, Brian walked closer to sit beside him. He leaned forward to see Kane’s face and asked, “What’s the matter? Something is bothering you again?”

“No, don’t worry about it.”

“You don’t want to talk about it? Alright.” A couple of silent moments later, Brian spoke again. “Check this out!”

He proceeded to conjure the barrier that Vauren taught. It resembled a tower shield: rectangle and large. The thinness made it look flimsy and fragile.

“After spending a week training, I’m finally able to cast it perfectly!” bragged Brian.

“How long are you able to maintain it?”

“Around a minute, like everyone else in our class.”

“Hm, good job.” Kane kept a straight face. Although his record was way longer than Brian’s, he had massive advantages compared to him. There was nothing to be proud of.

“What’s yours?”

“15 minutes or so, I think.”

“No way. Have you mastered it before?”

“Well, yes. I’ve also been practicing every day like you.” Technically, Kane did tell the truth. Creating a vis shield had more or less the same basis as creating a magic barrier. In other words, both were practically the same.

“To keep the barrier up for that long… it would take at least 3 years for average people!” Brian then squinted his eyes. “You’re not lying, right?”

“As if. I hate lying and liars, especially simply for bragging,” said Kane in a heartbeat. Although, that didn’t mean lying wasn’t an option.

“Knowing you’ve beaten the prodigy Calypso, I’ll believe you. But, can you show it to me?”

“Sure, but I’ll do it once we’re back in the dorm.”

They stopped talking for a while and watched the students playing. At the same time, Kane was wondering. Should he ask Brian about his dilemma? It would be definitely strange for a century-year-old man inside asking a mere 13-year-old child for advice. But then again, sometimes a child possessed wisdom that adults no longer had. Also, being prideful wouldn’t solve anything.

Finished deciding on whether to tell Brian, Kane then said, “I want to ask you something.”

“Sounded serious. What is it?” Brian’s smile faded.

“Let’s say you have achieved one of your goals you want some time in the future thanks to a certain thing. However, it turns out that to accomplish your other goals, you need to let go of the thing that helped you achieve the first goal. Will you do it?”

“Whoa, that’s deep.”

Kane sighed. “Well, nevermind, then—”

“Wait, I mean, I was impressed by the question you asked. Anyway, if I were in that position, I would do it as long as the thing you mentioned is not alive nor my morals.”

“Even if it’s very personal or precious to you?”

“Yes. Logically speaking, everything comes with a price, right? If that’s what I must sacrifice, then so be it. I might miss it in the future, but I definitely won’t regret it when I succeed.”

Kane became quiet, absorbing the answer. What Brian said made sense. How couldn’t he — a century-old ex-saint — discover the answer himself? Perhaps it was due to his bias regarding vis. He would probably give the same advice if his and Brian’s position were switched.

“Err, Kane? Is there something wrong with my answer or…”

“No, not at all. It’s brilliant!” Kane beamed with a smile. “I’m glad I asked you.”

“Ha, it’s nothing impressive.” Brian looked elsewhere, scratching the back of his neck. “What’s this goal of yours anyway? Could you tell me more about it?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“You always say that,” he gave a dispirited look.

Kane simply chuckled without giving any answer. It was too bothersome to explain and would spawn even more questions.

---

After school was over, Kane went to the garden, more specifically to the same table where he met Maur in his human form for the first time. Same as that day, Maur was there, reading a thick book while sipping a cup of tea.

Kane grabbed a seat as Maur asked, “Have you reached your final decision yet?”

“I accept,” replied Kane.

Maur put down the book, his gaze locked at Kane’s. “Hm, much quicker than I previously thought. Excellent! Have you considered it long enough? Abandoning vis means leaving behind your identity as a warrior.”

“I may have chosen to become a mage, but I am still a warrior in the heart. Vis has nothing to do with it,” corrected Kane. He couldn’t say the same thing to mana and mage, however.

“Here I was worried that you’ll cling to that pride like other typical warriors. Let me ask you once again: are you prepared? There is no turning back now.”

“Yes!” shouted Kane.

“Unbutton your clothes.” Maur then chanted a spell as magic circles began to form and runic letters floated, circling him. Even after some time passed, he continued mumbling. His hands were covered with green light — no, a mist would be more accurate.

Kane braced himself. When Maur finished chanting, he expanded his arms as numerous threads of light shot toward Kane’s stomach. Hot! It was as if Maur seared his skin using a heated needle. Wasn’t this the same as back then?

The process was much quicker and less painful than the one he experienced back in the underground arena — not even a minute had passed. Looking downward, a sealing spell had been carved. A real one. The burning sensation persisted until it stopped glowing.

“This is…”

“A special sealing spell. Normally, it would take several people and many hours to perform such a feat. The great me does not require those, obviously.”

Kane buttoned his shirt. “Is this permanent?”

“Not at all. It will disappear after five years… or less if you found a way to remove it. I don’t give the slightest damn if you do, but I will question your integrity as a person.”

“I won’t go back against my word.”

“Now, give it a test.”

Kane tried to project vis from his hand. Nothing came out, not even the slightest amount. His heart ached. Cold sweats began to form. He couldn’t rely on his vis anymore! It felt like he lost an arm or a leg. Did he make the correct decision? Well, it was too late to think about that now. He should plan for the future instead and adapt to the restriction.

“Judging from your expression, it’s working wonderfully, hm? Is vis that important for you?”

“Imagine if you lost your ability to cast spells. It’s as terrible as that!”

“I can still use mana shards for that purpose. I have lots of them!” Maur then cackled. “Jokes aside, I might somewhat understand you. Do not suddenly hate me since I did it for your sake. Imposing limitations is an effective tool to become strong.”

“Hmph, I know. I’m more than familiar with that.” Kane readjusted his shirt. “Now what?”

“Tomorrow morning before sunrise, pack your stuff and meet me in front of the gate because we’re going somewhere far from here!” Maur’s eyes lit up as he yelled.

“Let me guess: you won’t tell me the details until we arrive there?”

“Precisely!” Maur winked. “Boy, you’re beginning to know me well!”

Kane smiled wryly. What kind of place would Maur take him to? The secrecy annoyed him yet was exciting at the same time. He simply hoped no books nor texts were involved such as libraries.

13