Chapter 63
785 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Kane and Leonard had yet begun fighting, both Lamille and Hymar stood there, staring at Oliver who was also doing the same thing.

“Hymar, why don’t you fight him?”

“I can ask the same question… to you.”

“I’m very awkward when I’m with strangers. I can’t give my best unless Leader’s with me.”

“What a troublesome excuse.”

“Don’t judge me. Now’s your turn.”

“I simply… do not want to.”

“That’s it?”

“Of course, not… I prefer to conserve my energy for… more important encounters.”

“You’re still logical and calm even in this situation.”

“Thank you. As an aspiring great mage… I naturally pursue the path of rationality.”

“Blergh… kind of generic, but I understand.” Lamille rolled her eyes. “I think that guy has the same mind like yours.”

“I highly doubt it.”

Lamille raised her brows and was confused by his answer until she observed Oliver’s behavior.

On the opposing side, Oliver kept walking back and forth, mumbling to himself. “Man, both Aya, and Izami take their sweet damn time just to talk with him. What are they even discussing anyway? Surely they’re not attracted to the enemy? Nah, Roslain’s also as handsome as him, so that’s not the case. But, isn’t he a womanizer? Then…”

“Arghh, stop thinking trivial things, Oliver!” He slapped his head repeatedly. “What should I do in this situation? I don’t know what to do! I feel so lonely even though I’m not alone. Not only that, those two are so relaxed, even though our academy is much stronger and famous than theirs. They must’ve crafted a plan for this situation. Should I go first before they execute their plan? Hmm…”

“What is he even doing?” Lamille remarked, referring to Oliver.

“Ask him.”

“No way! He’s creepy.”

“A pot calling kettle black.”

“…I hate you.” She pouted.

“I apologize… I meant it as a joke.”

Then, Aya approached the two, interrupting their conversation. “Um, excuse me. Are you Hymar and Lamille, correct?”

“Yes… I believe we are already acquainted, Aya Snowheart.”

“What do you want?”

“May I ask either of you for a spar?” she asked.

“No,” both replied.

“Wh-why? Am I not good enough?”

Hymar and Lamille looked at each other, not wanting to answer her question. Giving up, Hymar then answered, “We’re not interested… as simple as that.”

“Oh, okay…” Aya sighed before returning to Oliver’s side.

Oliver then rushed before shouting, “Ha, you’re just afraid of losing again, aren’t you Hymar!?”

“Huh…?”  baffled Hymar.

“Don’t pretend to be ignorant. You used to be hailed as the most promising Water Mage on the continent until Niran defeated you easily with water spells! Since then, you’re on a losing streak—”

“Oliver! Don’t ridicule our opponents like that. It’s disrespectful.”

“Ah, sorry, Aya. But, I was merely telling the truth.”

“That’s not an excuse. There’s no need to insult them, even if they’re much weaker than us.”

Hearing her last sentence, Lamille’s vein popped. “Hear that Hymar?”

“Loud and clear… I cannot allow their mouth… run any longer.” He cracked his fists before casting his spells.

*Bang!*

The intense light blinded everyone, interrupted everyone. Looking at the source, it was caused by Leonard. The blast threw Izami away before crashing against the wall.

“What was that?” asked Oliver.

“Sister Izami!” Aya tried to rush over toward her, but Oliver grabbed her arm.

“Don’t interrupt them; you’ll just be a hindrance. Besides, Leonard looked as if he’ll kill you if you do.”

“…I’m useless again, am I?” She sighed.

Meanwhile, at Niflenia's side, Hymar and Lamille watched the fight and their exchange from afar. They abandoned the thought to fight the Calsweir students.

“Leader…” Lamille bit her lip. It had been a long time since Leonard showed his other side. She fully understood the reason behind his hatred, but she never thought it would surface again now.

“Haha… I can finally see Leonard’s… true power again. What a spectacle to behold.” Hymar grinned.

“But, there’s something wrong with Izami too. Her smile became even creepier than that guy over there.”

Aya approached them. “She became like that because of seeing blood. Strange, she shouldn’t be using the true edge of the blade…”

 Hymar and Lamille backed away, putting up a guard.

“Sorry for startling both of you.” She bowed. “I have no intention to fight you anymore. Instead, I’d like to ask you a question.”

“What?”

“How did Sir Leonard turn into that?”

“…” Lamille was quiet, waiting for Hymar to answer her again despite fully knowing the reason.

“Trauma. That’s all I can say… to you.”

“T-trauma?” How?”

As soon as she asked that, a rumble of dozens of Lumetraxes heading toward their location. They came from the hallway where Kane and Roslain fought each other. Before the students could do anything, Kane stormed the room and chanted a spell.

---

Five minutes ago.

“And then, she rejected me! Could you believe it?”

“Hm.” Kane unscrewed a bottle filled with blue liquid before drinking it.

“Drinking a mana regenerating solution and meditating during a duel. You are truly relaxed despite our vast difference in power,” said Roslain.

“Better than doing nothing while listening to your unrequited love story.” Kane threw another firebomb at him; he missed again. The firebomb exploded far away after tenth bounces — much more delayed than last time.

“For what reason did you keep throwing firebombs at me?”

“Practice.”

“Haha, you’re an odd one, aren’t you? I can’t tell what you’re thinking.” Roslain chuckled. “I appreciate that you’re willing to listen, Kane. Nobody sticks around until the end.”

“I’ve got no choice; you’ve laid traps everywhere around me before you began your story.” Kane stood up before stretching his arms. He told merely the half-truth.

“Ah, you noticed. I thought I could make you run around with the traps, but oh well, I shall do this instead.” 

Roslain snapped his fingers. A multitude of rose vines emerged from the ground. They almost reached the ceiling. The red flowers bloomed and revealed their ugly fangs, oozing with venom. Razor grass blades grew through the stony floors. The hallway had turned into a deadly jungle in an instant.

“Now, it’s your turn to entertain me.”

The carnivorous roses swooped toward him at once. Kane dodged the first attack and latched onto the thorny stem, avoiding the other attacking roses. As his palm bled, Kane was carried around by the flower upward. It then swerved toward the wall fast. He immediately released his grip before getting smashed.

Kane flew up in the air. For some reason, the roses kept their distance, disengaging. When he looked down, he understood. The spikes below were waiting for him. What should he do now? He could rely on his barrier to soak up the damage, but he would take a massive hit to his mana. Looking around, he found the answer.

Casting a [Lesser Firebomb], Kane detonated the firebomb prematurely. The blast changed the fall course toward the nearest plant. He grasped for the vine with both hands, clutching it hard. As his blood dripped down, he stayed there despite the pain.

Three more hostile roses were approaching. Kane threw a [Firebomb] into one of them straight into its mouth and imploded before killing it. Activating the barrier, he released his grip, then plunged into the blade grasses. He landed safely with little damage to his barrier.

Suddenly, countless thin vines wrapped all over his barrier along with the two other roses. They tightened their clutch akin to a big snake with its prey. His barrier began to crack under the pressure.

“This is bad! Should I use my ax? No, let’s not resort to that quickly. Perhaps, I could conjure one instead?” Kane closed his eyes. He chanted the same invocation as the [Firebomb] spell except for the runes. He inserted an ax shape inside the magic circle. He had been trying to invent a new spell by himself, but he always failed, so he opted for the alternative.

A light flashed on his hands. Nothing appeared. Kane tried again; still nothing. The cracks were spreading. He kept trying and trying until the barrier shattered. The vines were free to entrap him!

“Ugh!” Kane had no choice but to slide through the gap below. The grass blades tore his clothing and skin. He evaded the entanglement, although he paid for it with nasty cuts all over his limbs. Catching his breath, he gazed at Roslain sitting on his throne who was watching Kane’s struggle.

“Outstanding! You’re the sole person who managed to survive the longest thus far.” Roslain applauded.

“This is nothing. Is that all you’re capable of?” Kane spat. He needed a harder challenge — a challenge that would test his limit.

“Big words for a weakling.” Roslain ceased smiling. He pointed with the rose wand; the color turned black. A dark aura swirled around it as the magic circle formed. “Very well, then. Do not blame me in your afterlife.”

The vines grew a bunch of black roses from every side. They spewed pungent black smoke toward Kane. He immediately covered his nose. Poison! He sought for windows, but the vines sealed them off. He threw a [Firebomb] at them; he failed. The vines quickly regenerated after the attack and were too thick. At least the smoke had scattered away briefly, giving enough time to breathe again.

“I have to cut them down!” Kane once more attempted to conjure an ax. This time, he tackled the problem from a different angle. He had imagined the ax too close to a normal ax last time. What if the ax was cruder? Tried it; didn’t work. Even rougher! Still not working…

The dark mist had filled the surrounding area and the man-eating roses attacked him. Kane had to move from place to place while racking his brain off. His gut screamed to use his ax, but he ignored the advice. Cut wounds began to pile up. If this went on, he would die either from the poison or excessive bleeding! So, he used the last chance to conjure a magical ax.

A magic circle was formed. Kane’s mouth moved naturally in a trance, chanting a modified phrase of his most used spell. 

“[Call forth: Axeplosion]!”

A full-obsidian ax appeared, including the short haft. The surface was coarse yet sharp. Glowing red veins crept around the weapon akin to a lava river. Grabbing it, Kane used [Flaming Hand] to prevent burns. He leaped toward the blocking vines and slashed them.

They were sliced and burned easily, followed by a series of small explosions. The blast destroyed halfway of the now charred vine wall as the black roses withered.

“What kind of weapon is that?” exclaimed Roslain.

Ignoring him, Kane slashed again. He finally tore the vines apart. The black fog was sucked toward the outside. The ax suddenly turned hot red; he hurled it at Roslain. It blew up. His petal barrier blocked the shrapnels save for a few of them. They shredded his uniform and scratched his cheek.

Roslain touched the cut and stared at the drop of blood on his fingertip. Standing upright, his fist clenched. His throne dried up along with the other plants. “You! You dare harm my beautiful face!?”

Kane rolled his eyes. Yet another sissy, how typical.

“…Just kidding. Any great prodigy wouldn’t utter childish words such as that.” Roslain tossed his rose wand skyward. It hovered above him as multiple magic circles were formed. He whispered an incantation, unlike the previous spells he cast before. “I see you’ve been holding back after all this time. Therefore, I shall return the favor.”

“Not good!” Kane cast another magic ax before Roslain could finish his spell. However, he was a second too late.

“[Rank 3 earth spell: Lotus Dragon]!” 

Flower petals gathered above Roslain, teeming with mana. They gathered and formed a giant creature that resembled a long dragon as wide as the hallway’s width. The scales were made of pink petals while its eyes were radiating yellow light. It roared before rushing at Kane.

Adjusting his stance, Kane performed an ax dance as he chopped his way through the dragon. When the ax reached its limit, he cast another ax before throwing it away. Rinse and repeat — except at the third time, he lacked enough mana.

“Oh, crap—” Kane put up a barrier; it shattered immediately upon impact. He left his feet off the ground and braced himself. The dragon’s lower body struck him. He was propelled further into the back, hitting the ground a few times before sliding against the floor.

Kane coughed up blood. His insides ached like never before. He should’ve heed Leonard’s intention. He didn’t anticipate the battle going for this long. They seriously took ages to get here.

“Is that all you’re capable of?” mocked Roslain.

“Heh… not really.” Kane tried to stand up, but the vines from above tied him down, lifting his body.

Gazing at the helpless Kane, Roslain crouched down. He grinned. “Jokes aside, you’re quite good for… what’s your age again?”

“13.”

“Haha, of course.” He laughed. “You do realize I can do anything to you as of now? Don’t lie again, please?”

I have no reason to lie.”

“…It seems you’re telling the truth, but I couldn’t help to doubt your words.” He walked around as he talked. “If you’re 13 years old and able to fight back against me, the second strongest mage under twenty in the world, how strong will you be at my age?”

“...”

“No answer? Wise decision.” He then cast a blade of sharp grass, pointing at Kane’s neck. “If I were to kill you here right now, I wonder if there would be a massive change in the future.”

4