Chapter 13 part 2
2.7k 11 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhere in Niflenia Academy, a woman was sitting in a spacious room. Based on the sofa placed in front of the desk, and the carpet floor laying all over the ground — it was apparent that she was inside an office.

“Interesting.” A hoarse yet feminine voice came from the woman. Her eyelids were closed. She was observing the special test. In her vision, multiple screens were giving her the live feed of the test.

*Knock, knock.*

“Come in.” She opened her eyes, turning off the surveillance. It was shared among her assistants in the field so there wouldn’t be a problem in case someone broke the rules.

*Creak.*

“Good afternoon, Teresa,” said a middle-aged man, who was wearing a black robe. “It’s been a while since we conversed privately.”

“Cut to the chase, Reynar. Have you found out how and why a half-oni could enter our test?” Teresa gawked at him. He may have a higher position or older than her but their ability was equal.

“I’m aware your curiosity exceeds your patience, but please allow me to explain myself,” Reynar said calmly.

“Fine. I’m not impatient. I hate unneeded talk.” She leaned her head against the chair, tapping her fingers on the armrest.

“Thank you.” Reynar cleared his throat before speaking again. “It is quite simple. I’ve questioned the receptionist of this matter. And, I’ve acquired this very shocking piece, the aptitude talent certificate.” A paper appeared on his palm, retrieved from his robe.

Teresa grabbed the paper without looking at it. “What’s so shocking about…” She immediately wide-eyed when she recognized silver paper and read the content. “L-level 10 mage!” Her hands trembled.

“That is correct. What’s more interesting, is the certificate belongs to that half-oni.”

“This is impossible!” shouted Teresa. “He must have faked it or bribed the tester.” She slammed the paper hard against the table.

“I believe you too know that those are improbable considering his unknown background,” said Reynar.

Teresa entered deep thought. Reynar was correct. To obtain a certificate, one must be evaluated by the official guild mage. Almost nobody could ever make a forgery since they could be spotted with a proper check. Bribery could not be done either because the mage officer had a vow that couldn’t be crossed.

She then examined the certificate and found no evidence of forgery. Still, she couldn’t believe this abnormality. How could a mere half-oni villager possess a once-in-a-hundred-years talent?

“What should we do about this boy, Kane? Our reputation might be… questioned by the mage community. Especially when that half-oni can’t actually use magic,” said Teresa, placing her hands on the table’s surface.

Reynar rubbed his chin and put his finger on the certificate, “Let us keep this matter a secret from everyone except us and that receptionist. I do not want other academies to acquire this information.”

Teresa gave a nod. “I understand. Luckily, I haven’t told anybody yet.”

“Meanwhile, you should take care of the unintended casualties.”

“Oh, that? I already commanded my minions to write grieving letters,” said Teresa with a chuckle.

“Say, Teresa. You’ve been observing him until now, have you? How is he doing?” Reynar asked.

Teresa grinned. “Recently, he killed a rank 2 monster. Alone. Without magic.”

He leaned his head forward a bit. “Please elaborate.”

Teresa told the entire story regarding Kane. How he took down the riese, even how he successfully escaped from death. Reynar was nodding his head and on the edge of his seat throughout her recount.

Once he was finished hearing the story, Reynar inclined against the sofa. “Intriguing. A half-oni child that utilizes an ax—the barbarian’s favorite weapon—in spite of being a mage. At least according to his certificate.”

Teresa bit her lip. “With his ability, he should’ve gone to a squire academy instead of here.”

“His extraordinary aptitude would’ve been wasted there,” Reynar laughed.

Teresa nodded as her response. A female maid came and brought two cups of tea. The smell of herbal mint filled the room. They drank them simultaneously.

“How is your throat? I miss your beautiful, soprano voice before that incident,” said Reynar after sipping his tea.

“It’s getting better. The side effect was... hard to heal. I miss it too.” Her expression darkened. She put down the cup gently.

“P-pardon me for speaking such terrible words! How impolite of me.” Reynar panicked, almost jumping up from the sofa.

“I don’t blame you. And I’m already used to it. Erhm!” She coughed, then touched her neck.

“Have you heard about the Westcreek Kingdom?” Reynar brought a new topic.

“That ruined kingdom? I know about it. It’s been a year since the fall. The once-proud country now degraded into a lair of dangerous shadow puppets. A hotspot for the brave and the foolish who seek for riches that have been left behind.”

He nodded, then said, “Correct. According to my informant, there’s a rumor regarding a legendary weapon that appeared. It’s the root behind the collapse.”

Teresa raised one of her eyebrows. “I know where this is going to be. No, I don’t want to. I’ve heard a lot of powerful people have died there. Whatever the weapon, it’s a no,” she refused.

“Please do not decline yet. Let’s say the rumor appears to be true, could you guess the rank of the weapon?”

“I don’t know. A rank 6 or 7 weapons would be enough… to ruin a kingdom.” She drank her tea again.

“No,” Reynar smirked. “It’s rank 10.”

*Spurt!*

Teresa spat out her tea. Apparently, Reynar already prepared for it so he covered his face with his sleeve. “Cough! Cough!” Teresa cleared her throat from the residual liquid. “Sorry.” She wiped her mouth and the desk. Her cheeks and her nose became bright red.

“Haha, no worries. My reaction was somewhat similar to yours when I first discovered it from my informant,” he chuckled.

“Are you sure? Like, a hundred percent confident about it? A fabled weapon in that kingdom?” Her eyes narrowed as she spoke.

“Absolutely.” Reynar’s eyes were staring intently. “There was one person who managed to escape from the sea of deadly puppets. He barely left the place alive and claimed that he saw a rank 10 weapon. This information isn’t a well-known rumor as it’s regulated. I even paid a hefty sum for this. So, what’s your choice?”

Three of Teresa’s fingers pointed upward. “Three questions. Why me? How much is my share? What’s your plan? Especially the puppets... They’re essentially invincible, each of them.”

“I’m gathering as many capable and trustworthy people that I know as possible. For the second one, it depends on how precious the treasures left behind are. Nevertheless, I assure you will receive an appropriate share. The plan is—”

*Dong! *Dong! Two bell tolls resonated throughout the academy, including the office room.

“Well, let’s continue our chat later. I’m afraid I must go.” Reynar stood up and walked towards the door.

“Goodbye, Reynar. Your invitation, I’ll think about it.”

“Great decision. Although, take your time as I’m not in a rush. I predict my plan will be finished in two or three years. I will inform you of the reason behind it later. Farewell, Teresa. It was a nice conversation.” Reynar pulled the door handle and exited the room.

Teresa was left alone in the office. She rotated her chair towards the window, looking at the sky. “Rank 10 weapon… Hah, what a ridiculous lie.” She heaved a sigh. “Whether it's true or not, what is he going to do with it? Tomorrow, I must ask him about this.”

Watching the thick gray clouds, she pondered. “Kane Foxsnove, what is your secret?”

58