Chapter 25
1.7k 23 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kane stood in front of the Reynar’s office. He tapped the door twice, then a voice from inside called, “Please enter.”

He pushed the door open and saw Reynar was writing on a large paper. Dipping his quill into the ink, the man said, “Welcome, Kane Foxsnove. I have been anticipating your arrival. Would you like a cup of tea before our tête-à-tête begins?” He gestured toward a set of tea instruments made of porcelain.

“Depends. If it’s going to be long, then I would like to.” Kane plopped on the sofa.

Reynar gave a warm smile as he stood up. He poured a hot, steaming tea into two cups and served one of them, then sat facing Kane.

Kane spoke first. “So, what do you want to talk about?”

“First, I would like to congratulate you on becoming a class S candidate. I have heard of your spectacular performance from Vauren. It appears that my judgment was correct for placing my faith in you.”

“It was nothing special. Besides, I was struggling because I only have [Lesser Firebomb] in my spell arsenal,” said Kane.

“I concur. Relying on [Lesser Firebomb] too much is harmful in the long run.” Reynar reached in his pocket and placed a golden card onto the table. “This is your royal library special pass to access the third floor. The building itself is located on the west wing complex. The grand re-opening will be held next week. As of now, it is closed due to renovation.”

“Thanks.” Kane put the card in his breast pocket.

“Furthermore, regarding your suspicion that the monsters have been getting stronger, I can confirm that it is true.”

“That was fast. What was the cause?” Kane leaned forward.

“It was caused by-” Reynar stood up, walked toward the desk, and took something from a drawer. “-this peculiar feather.” He gently placed it on the table. It was a jet black feather inside a cylinder glass.

Kane eyed the encased tiny feather. He felt a faint, ominous aura emanating from it. A demon’s feather... no wonder the monsters became stronger. Speaking of which, could it belong to Xervatia's!? No, there’s a possibility that it originated from another demon. Still, the aura is somewhat familiar.

“Fascinating, isn't it? Such a small object could influence many monsters in a large area. I must thank you for bringing this issue up, otherwise, the monsters would perhaps have been rampaging toward our academy in the future,” said Reynar.

“Don't mention it. Anyway, how and where did you get this?” asked Kane.

“I merely traveled into the area by myself and immediately sensed the dreadful aura. Hence, I let that aura become my guide. The stronger it is, the closer I am toward the source. I found the feather stuck between random tree leaves deep in the forest.”

“That's impressive.” Kane nodded. “And what are you going to do with it?”

“Good question.” Reynar was silent for a moment before giving his answer. “I wished to display this exquisite feather in the royal library. However, I am concerned that it will attract evil beings, be it monsters or humans. Therefore, I am going to give this to one of my colleagues for a present.”

Kane did not give a reply; he was thinking about one. What would be the perfect response? He wanted the feather so badly because he believed that it would help him in finding Xervatia. At the same time, he didn’t want to sound desperate and be used for Reynar’s benefit. So he asked once more, “Does your colleague live here?”

Reynar narrowed his eyes. “I am afraid that I cannot tell you the exact location. He lives two kingdoms away from here.”

Too far! Kane was dismayed upon hearing the answer. Moreover, Reynar kept the location secret, which meant stealing it was out of the question.

“My, aren’t you an inquisitive one, Kane Foxsnove? Ah, you must be interested in this item.”

“No, I didn’t mean to…” Kane fidgeted, his voice was shaky. His intention was exposed.

“I do not mind, Kane. If you fulfill my request, the feather shall be your reward.” Reynar smiled.

There it is, the ‘give and take’ approach. Kane had no choice but to hear what Reynar had to say. All because of his blunder. “What’s your request, then?”

“Nothing too complicated. You must participate and be victorious at the Official Apprentice Magic Tournament.”

Kane opened his mouth slightly, without letting out any sound. He then said, “I must win what?”

Reynar relaxed his posture, reclining on the sofa. “Allow me to explain further. Official Mage Apprentice Tournament, or O.M.A.T, is a grand competition between students from various magic academies. More precisely, a duel to show whose magic is the strongest.”

“Magic duel? So it’s like my previous battle with Lucrais.”

“That is correct, except no enchanted ring nor battle equipment are allowed to ensure the fairness of the duel,” said Reynar.

“Is that so? That’s a shame,” Kane uttered a sigh. He wouldn’t be able to do tricks with his ax.

“I assume that you are interested in participating in the tournament?”

“Sure, why not.” Kane shrugged. He loved to battle, though he doubted if he would still like it with only magic involved. He did enjoy the duel against Lucrais, though.

“I understand. Then I will—”

“Wait, before I agree with your terms, I want one more thing,” interrupted Kane.

Reynar’s eyes narrowed for a brief moment, still maintaining his smile. “As long as it’s within my capability.”

“I will not be required to attend mandatory classes anymore except when they’re related to magic.” He wanted to have more time for doing something meaningful rather than sitting in the class, listening to lessons that were useless to achieving his goal.

Silence descended. Reynar put up a straight face until he laughed, “Ahahahaha!” His laughter lasted for a while.

“What’s so funny?” Kane squinted his eyes.

Reynar wiped his tears and said, “I forgot that you are still a child. Here I have been thinking that you are an adult all along. Please, pardon my inappropriate behavior.”

Kane didn’t know whether he should be relieved because his secret was hidden or feel insulted for being called a child. Either way, he waited for Reynar to speak again.

He coughed once before continuing, “I will grant your request when you become the grand champion of the tournament.”

“Fine by me,” agreed Kane. “When does this tournament start?”

“One year, two weeks, and six days from now,” said Reynar.

“Hm, what a short amount of time. I must make preparations, then.”

“That would be the best course of action. In addition, your tutor will arrive here approximately a week later.”

“So, they aren’t from this academy?” asked Kane.

“Most likely, no. I regrettably do not know his history too well. Nevertheless, I believe he is the perfect person to unleash your talent to full potential. The tutor specializes in handling level 8 talent and above.”

“All of these for winning a tournament. Is it that important to you? Why are you putting so much trust in me?” Kane had figured out the reasons of Reynar’s goodwill toward him. It became obvious after he mentioned the tournament.

“You manage to grasp my intention quickly. Very brilliant,” praised Reynar. “O.M.A.T is significant to determine the academy upstanding in the world’s magic society. Not only does it benefit the champion, but the champion’s academy also receives an enormous boost of reputation. The better the reputation, the higher the quality students will attend. The opposite is also true. In fact, Niflenia Academy once held the highest win streak record of the tournament.”

Kane switched his gaze toward the dusty trophies in the room. “Hm, I guess you haven’t been winning since then.”

*Blam!*

Reynar slammed the table and made the tea spill all over the place. Luckily, Kane already grabbed his teacup in time. He was staring at enraged Reynar in silence, observing his darkened expression.

“I have… not, ever since the talent of this kingdom dropped considerably due to their laziness and arrogance. From the grand champion to runner-ups to not even passing the open-qualifier. We were gradually becoming the object of ridicule in the world’s magic society. Indeed, we are the best magic academy in this kingdom, yet at the same time one of the worst in this world. This is truly a dark time for our academy, and I despaired while reliving the past-” Reynar looked back at Kane, “-until you came.”

“Me?” Kane pointed at himself.

“That is correct.” Reynar nodded. “With your talent and your combat prowess, you have more than the potential to reach the semi-final—no, to become the grand champion!”

Seeing how excited Reynar was made Kane felt uncomfortable. Despite that, he asked again, "What about the class S students? Aren’t they capable enough?"

“Oh, those people.” Reynar’s face turned cold as ice. “They are quite talented, I must admit. Unfortunately, they are too pampered and lack enough ambition to become stronger, unlike you. There is one exception, however…” His gaze drifted toward the window.

“However?” Kane took a sip.

“You shall perceive my meaning better when you meet her.” Reynar smiled bitterly. “Is there any more questions, Kane?”

“My last question: are you the one who let Calypso enter this school and arranged his dorm room placement? If so, why?”

Reynar was taken aback before answering, “Ah, Prince Calypso must have told you. Indeed, I allowed him to pass despite failing the exam. His magic potential is phenomenal and thus I have made a special exception.”

“You haven’t answered me completely,” pressed Kane.

“How do I put this… I wished you two would get along since you both are precious for this academy’s future. Additionally, perhaps you may gain insight from him and vice versa.”

“So, it’s not for your entertainment purposes, then?”

“Of course not! Well… truth be told, I must admit that you are not entirely false,” Reynar laughed awkwardly.

Kane was silent. He had expected an answer to something like that yet he was still wondering how a vice-headmaster of a dignified magic school could be so mischievous.

A moment later, the conversation between them ended with a handshake. As Kane pulled open the door, he saw three familiar figures. Zumi, Athera, and even Brian were standing outside.

“So, why are you all here?” asked Kane. He had realized those three presences were out in the hallway halfway through the conversation.

“Uhh, we were worried about you after the duel with Lucrais. When we visited the infirmary, you were already gone and we were told to ask Vauren. He told us that you’ll be here,” explained Zumi, avoiding Kane’s gaze.

“Hm, I’m thankful for your concern, Zumi.” Kane smiled. “So you weren’t eavesdropping, then?”

“Well… a little bit,” she let out a defeated sigh.

“What about you two?” He turned toward Athera and Brian.

“I-I was forced… by Zumi,” said Athera.
“Same here,” added Brian casually.

“How dare you both just ditch me like that? I thought you also care about Kane…” Zumi’s face reddened as she shouted, causing both Athera and Brian to explode with laughter.

“You all… care about me?” asked Kane in disbelief.

They looked at each other before Zumi said, “Well, yeah. You are our friend after all. Although, I haven’t forgiven you for pushing me down and carrying Athera like that.”

“What… What the hell, Kane?” Brian’s eyes bulged, mixed with surprise and anger.

“Yeah, tell him, Brian!”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier? I’m jealous of you-” His head was smacked by Zumi. “-Ouch!”

“Geez, you’re no different than him.” Zumi was flustered.

“C-calm down, Zumi,” Athera interjected.

Kane was watching their banter as he contemplated. He was reminded of what Zumi said that he is their friend. He didn’t understand. How could they consider him a friend in a mere few days? In his experience, people including Kane had to carefully place their trust in someone. It would take weeks and even months, since betrayals were as common as rabbits. What a different world he lived in — and for the first time, Kane felt at ease.

“Haha…” Kane chuckled a little.

The three stopped bickering and looked over the half-oni. “What’s the matter, Kane?” asked Zumi.

“Nothing.” He shook his head. “Zumi, did you hear all of the conversations?”

“No, I only heard something about a tournament, and it wasn’t that clear,” said Zumi.

Kane was relieved that she didn’t hear the feather part. He then told everyone regarding the O.M.A.T while they descended the staircase.

“So the vice-headmaster forced you to enter the tournament and you have to become the grand champion? That’s absurd!” shouted Zumi.

“Well, yes but actually no. He technically didn’t force me and offered a reward.”

“Which is?” asked Brian.

“Not having to attend a class every day,” replied Kane with a smile.

“Seriously? If I were you, I would ask something more. Money, for example,” said Brian.

“No, that reward is perfect. I wonder if I somehow entered the tournament and became the grand champion, would I get the same treatment?” added Zumi.

“Perhaps? Just go ask Sir Reynar.” Kane could not tell them that he would get an additional reward, which was the demonic black feather. For him, it was ten times more important than money because it was the only clue he had to find Xervatia.

“Ehm, Kane? Please be careful… when you enter that t-tournament,” warned Athera.

“Why is that?”

“It's f-full of prodigies with frightening... magic. From what I heard… at least.”

“Where did you hear that?” asked Zumi.

“I overheard it… from my sister.”

“Thanks for the warning, Thera.” Kane then patted Athera's head. “Don't worry, I’m always prepared.”

Athera's face immediately turned hot red while Zumi was being nosy as usual.

Arriving at the main floor, they separated. Before heading to the dorm, Kane practiced physical training, swinging his ax until stars showed themselves. In his barrack, he saw Calypso meditating on the bed. Kane ignored him and changed his clothes. Several moments later, the prince opened his eyes.

“Next time, knock before you enter,” warned Calypso.

“Why should I knock on my room? Are you afraid of getting seen when changing?”

"N-not at all! It's common courtesy to knock before entering a room."

"Anyway, I’m surprised that you’re still here. I thought you hated me,” said Kane.

“Believe me, I have tried to exchange my keys with someone else’s. All of them refused since they somehow know the fact that you are in this room. I abandoned the attempt after three tries. Simply a waste of time.”

“Better luck next time, then.” Kane lie on the bed, closing his eyes.

Silence descended in this room. The night was peaceful until Calypso broke it.

“Between me and Habborleigh, who’s stronger?”

“Why do you ask that?”

“...Nevermind. Forget what I have uttered.” He lay on the bed too.

“You, of course. In terms of talent and techniques, you’re definitely superior,” he replied.

“Then why were you struggling against her?”

“Couldn’t you tell? I couldn’t use my trusty ax! She’s also clever with her tactics.” Kane uttered a sigh.

“...Oh.”

Kane rolled over, facing Calypso. “You’re upset that she almost beat me, aren’t you?”

“W-what are you saying? There is no way I would get upset by such a trivial matter.” His voice became higher than usual.

“Don’t even try to hide it. I too know the feeling when your rival is beaten by someone weaker than you.”

“Stop pretending that you know everything! I couldn’t care less about your past,” he yelled.

“...Fine, whatever.” Kane rolled over and faced the wall.

One week passed by. Kane’s life as a student was better than before. Not only was his shoulder completely healed, his classmates no longer shunned him for being a half-oni since his duel with Lucrais. Speaking of her, she was simply an acquaintance for him yet somewhat close as they talked occasionally. As for Calypso, he kept his distance with Kane while in the classroom as always.

46