66 – The Nameless One – XII
359 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After roaming around the sect for a while, I decided to head back to Xinxin's house.

The mission to the treasury, unfortunately, was a failure.

Although I had Information Concealment to walk around unbothered, I'd forgotten that I was still weakened. It would be simple to use my spiritual sense to find out where the treasury was, but doing so without my dear disciple noticing was impossible.

Also, unlike the Zhan Clan's resources that were kept in a blatantly obvious and heavenly guarded building, it seemed that One Tin guy was more careful and hid the place either in plain sight or under a meticulously crafted concealment field.

Either way, it was a dead end for me so I headed back.

The sun had begun to set, coloring the clear blue sky an orange hue. An idyllic scene, as if taken straight from a painting.

However, when I arrived back at Xinxin's house, it wasn't as peaceful as the sky above.

The air was chilly, frost gathering on the grass and flowers. At the same time, gusts of winds flew across the area, rattling the bamboo forest. The one responsible for such a phenomenon spun around, slashing through the air again, sending her honey-colored hair scattering.

I dropped Information Concealment and walked over. Staring at Titania, I raised an eyebrow and said, "You're training quite hard."

She froze and then spun around to face me. "You!" Titania walked over and jabbed a finger at me. "You have some nerve leaving in that condition! Not only that, but you left Ari alone without so much as a word!" She sheathed her sword at her side and then crossed her arms. "Where did you even wander off to?"

"What I do is none of your concern, even if you are my disciple's personal servant. Besides, it wasn't as if I was leaving forever. I just decided to take a stroll around to sect for some fresh air."

Titania narrowed her eyes. "And you thought it would be best to do that by pretending to take a nap first before leaving a young girl by her lonesome?"

"Again, none of your concern." I walked past her and said, "Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to meditate by the pond to restore my body."

Titania turned around and said, "We are not finished with this discussion!"

I ignored her and sat down by the pond's edge, closing my eyes.

"You insufferable...! Gah!" Titania huffed and said, "How does Master Xinxin and Ari deal with you?"

"By leaving me be."

Titania let out a long breath and then muttered, "Just what do those two see in that guy? If it were me, I'd never even give him the time of day. Actually falling in love with him..."

Hearing that, I wanted to laugh considering the developments in that other timeline with my remnant. Still, I bit that back and said, "Don't worry. It'd take some divine intervention for me to want to be with you as well."

"You...!" The shrill sound of a drawn blade echoed in the surroundings before it was cut off by the sound of it being slammed back into its sheath. "Hmph! You had better not leave this time or Master Xinxin's orders be damned, I will drag you back here even if I have to beat you black and blue!"

I snorted. "Sure. Whatever makes you sleep better at night, Honeybuns."

At that time, a soft sigh echoed. "Mister Nowun, could you stop making fun of Tani?"

I cracked open my eyes.

Aria walked over, carrying a small porcelain bowl with a spoon resting against its side. Her clothes were different, and it seemed that she decided to change into some of Xinxin's spare clothing. A soft lilac dress with trailing white sleeves had replaced her usual black dress. It was a bit small on her, making it appear sensuous but, whether because of Aria's naivety or optimism, it gave off a cute charm instead.

Seeing her walking over, I gave her a short nod before focusing back on restoring my wounds. Still, I kept my awareness up to watch what was going on just in case.

Titania frowned and said, "You're too light on him, Ari. He ran out on you twice, did he not? If he were my partner, I would never forgive him... And weren't you upset just a few moments ago?"

"And that's why you're still single, Tani."

"Kuh-!" Titania stepped back, clutching her heart. "Th-That is-"

"In any case," Aria said. "Mister Nowun always comes back when it counts, so does it really matter?"

Titania sighed and muttered, "Father would be rolling in his grave if he knew his precious daughter was in love with such an unreliable man."

Aria flinched.

Titania winced and shook her head. "Ari, I-"

"It's fine, Tani." Aria lowered her gaze and said, "You didn't mean it."

A pang of guilt echoed in my heart at that sight.

At the same time, my dear disciple came into my thoughts.

Aria, while losing her home and family, still had Titania. It was a tense and awkward relationship considering what had gone on between the two, but whatever the case they still had each other.

My disciple... Xinxin, had none of that. Her home, her family... all of that had vanished. Not only that, but it had happened in an instant. The only thing she had left... was me.

It was a cold realization. A harsh truth.

Because of that, I unconsciously vocalized my feelings. "Sorry."

Titania instantly turned to look at me, shock in her face.

At the same time, Aria's eyes widened.

I immediately withdrew my awareness and focused on recovering my cultivation base and mana.

Perhaps realizing that I had no intention of saying anything else, Titania let out a long sigh and said, "I am going to draw out a bath inside, Ari. Maybe it will help me calm down... Goddess knows I need to with all of this."

"Alright, Tani. I'll stay out here with Mister Nowun then."

There were the sounds of footsteps, followed shortly after by a door opening and closing. Not long after, there was a brief rustling, and then someone sat down beside me.

I cracked open my eyes to see Aria sitting alongside me, holding the bowl on her lap.

It was an enchanting sight. Whether because of the atmosphere, the setting, or the change in clothes, Aria seemed like an innocent fairy from ancient times. An immaculate and sacred being that could only be tarnished by being in this material world.

But she was tarnished. The naivety and innocence that should have persisted was crushed by reality... and the affection that should never have been granted was directed towards me.

A complicated feeling.

I still didn't know how to feel about her. While I didn't regret what happened in the past... No, I refused to regret it. Either way, I didn't know how to interact with her.

Not only that, there was the recent knowledge that her soul was incomplete.

That worried me.

Just what was Aria's role in everything?

More importantly... What should I do about it?

"It's alright, Mister Nowun." Aria's soft voice echoed and she said, "You don't have to feel guilty about leaving or explain anything."

At those words, I completely opened my eyes.

Aria was staring into the bowl, slowly stirring the broth inside with the spoon. Slightly melancholic, slightly accepting.

I... didn't know what to say to that. No, words were too cheap to address my actions. So, instead of that, I simply nodded in acceptance and said, "How are you doing?"

Aria stopped stirring and mumbled. "How I'm doing...?"

"That's right." I turned to look at her and said, "Has anything changed since I've been gone? It should have been perfect, but considering the method I used..."

Aria was quiet for a bit and then she set the bowl off to her side. That done, she turned to me and said, "Mister Nowun. Why did you save me?"

"...Eh?" Of all things she could say, I didn't expect that.

Aria hugged her knees and said, "I know you saved me on a whim the first time. But the second time... You were strong enough that you didn't need to. Not only that, but with Miss Saphira at your side, I was only a burden. So... why did you save me?"

"Silly girl." I shook my head and said, "Do I need a reason?"

It was true that Aria was more of an obligation and burden than anything… and it was also true that the Goddess was pushing us together at the beginning. But so what?

I shrugged and said, “I simply felt like it.”

Aria stared at me, her eyes wide. After that, she let out a sigh and gave me a soft smile. "Of course. It's just like you to say something like that, Mister Nowun."

"What brought on that line of questioning anyway?"

Aria paused and then shook her head. "I don't know. It's just... I'm worried." She placed her right hand on her chest and said, "It's faint, but I can feel something calling me. It's like a quiet voice whispering in my heart, telling me to return to Alvheim."

I frowned.

Alvheim... it seemed like everything kept converging there.

Just what did that Goddess have in-

Suddenly, a pair of warm arms wrapped around me. The soft scent of vanilla filled the air and something soft pressed against my chest.

I blinked and then opened my mouth to ask what Aria was doing. But before I could, I saw her expression and bit my tongue.

"...I'm scared, Mister Nowun." Aria leaned back and stared at me. Her usually bright emerald eyes were dim with worry and fear. "I can feel it. If I go there, if you don't need me... I'm going to disappear. I'm going to disappear and someone else, that voice is going to take my place." She buried her head into my chest and then said, "I don't want that! I know that you don’t need me, I know that I’m just a burden, but… but…!"

I sighed and patted her back. "You need to stop worrying about pointless things, silly girl. Besides... who said I didn't need you?"

"H-Huh?"

I gently pushed her back and smiled. "It's because of you that I got this far in the first place. And… I suppose it’s true that you might be useless in fighting now, but who says it will always be that way?"

Aria shook her head. "But compared to Tani, Miss Saphira, and Miss Xinxin-"

“It will be fine. And even if you never become strong enough to stand on your own two feet…”

The tangled emotions in my heart. The bound up karma between us.

I cleanly sorted them out and made my decision. "I won't leave you. No, I won't lose you."

One faithful companion had already been lost in the past. While it had never been able to voice its feelings or thoughts, it still devoted all of its being to ensure that I survived. That genuine care and devotion... was there in Aria as well.

While our past was tangled up with anger, gratitude, and countless other emotions, good and bad, as well as the Goddess's intentions, whatever the case Aria was still someone who trusted me and wanted the best for me.

And that Goddess was trying to take her from me.

I wouldn't allow that.

The world had already taken enough from me. Both here and back on Earth, I-

Huh?

Back on Earth...

...What did I lose back on Earth?

Suddenly, the soft sound of objects clattering to the ground echoed in the surroundings.

I glanced over to see what was going on and then froze.

A familiar beauty stood in front of the house. My dear disciple... Xinxin. Her arms were outstretched, holding a pile of precious medical ingredients. But, as if stopping mid-stride, a portion of that had fallen to the ground.

That was what I heard.

A bright smile was on her face, as beautiful as a blossoming lotus. But, like how flowers wilted in the fall, that expression was fading away as she stared at me.

Suddenly, I realized how it looked.

Sending her away, telling her to tend to her duty instead of myself. Then, when she returned after her diligent duties, she saw me in the arms of another woman.

Even if I hadn't properly accepted her feelings, I was well aware of how deep they ran. And so, seeing this-

Xinxin's eyes watered and she spun around. The precious medical ingredients were cast to the ground, thrown away like rubbish.

I got up and held out my hand. "Wait! Xin-"

Darkness surged... and she was gone.

"...Xin."

“M-Mister Nowun?” 

I glanced back at Aria and frowned. I had just said that I wouldn't leave her, but...

Aria looked to the fallen ingredients and then rounded on me, anger in her face. Without any warning, she pushed me towards them and said, "What are you standing around for?! Go after Miss Xinxin!"

"But-"

"No buts! I’m glad you're worried about me, but I’ll be fine!” Aria averted her gaze for a moment and stared at where Xinxin vanished. “I still have Tani, but Miss Xinxin… she only has you, doesn’t she?”"

“…Dammit.”

Aria was right.

I ran, quickly grabbing all of the ingredients scattered on the ground as I passed with Dragon's Grasp and devouring them. There was a surge of energy and information, but I ignored all of that.

The world sharpened as my weak spiritual sense strengthened from my rise in cultivation base. At the same time, power filled my body again as mana coursed through my veins.

Using that and the faint trace of Xinxin’s powers still coursing through my body, I ran off after her…

Well, this turned more dramatic than I intended. :shrug: You guys might hate me a bit with what's coming next chapter... but I hope this one was enjoyable! Next one will be out Tuesday! Until then, take care and thanks as always for reading!

15