36 – Farce
709 7 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once again, Xinxin stepped upon the arena. When she did, like with every match, the masked man began to narrate and provide commentary.

Xinxin didn’t pay it any heed. Instead, she stared at her latest opponent. The so-called ‘Madam of Illusions’.

The opponent was a woman with a scarred face. Perhaps to distract from that, she wore a revealing red dress that left nothing to the imagination. Her hair, a silver color from either age or strain, fell behind her in waves.

…With every fight, Xinxin was starting to wonder if every character participating in the tournament were all either eccentrics or scum. Other than the demon, she had yet to see a sane individual participating… and that demon’s sanity had been questionable at best.

“Hmph.” The Madam of Illusions scoffed and crossed her arms under her chest. “A frail beauty unaware of the pains of the world… you made a mistake entering this tournament, girl.”

Xinxin felt a headache. That woman… did she believe that Xinxin had won due to luck, or did she not see the previous fight? Or perhaps she believed in her skills enough to where she ignored Xinxin’s abilities? Either way, it was… irritating.

Was this how her Sifu felt when he went around the Zhan clan in the past? If so… before demanding an explanation from him, she should probably apologize. It was a wonder he could show any restraint at all…

The masked man’s image appeared again. He raised his arm and said, “Begin!”

The Madam of Illusions grinned, a malicious smile, and said, “I will take that body of yours!” With those words, she moved her hands, weaving an incantation.

Xinxin tilted her head. It seemed like the woman was doing something, judging from how the natural energies were shifting. But… nothing was happening.

No, now that she focused, she could sense a weak pressure. A spiritual probe trying to envelop her. Yet, unlike the brand of power that appeared when Xinxin stepped on the arena, that probe was weak. Like an egg cast upon steel.

The scarred woman’s eyes widened and she took a step back. “Impossible!” She pointed at Xinxin and said, “You… you do not possess a heart demon?!”

Xinxin sighed. This was… annoying, but better annoying than dangerous. She shook her head and stepped forward.

In the distance, the crowd murmured. Dissatisfied jeers and boos.

The masked man reappeared and laughed. “It seems that the enchanting Faith’s beauty and resolve is enough to withstand even the Madam of Illusion’s famed technique! What will she do now, I wonder?”

The scarred woman scowled. “Daring to underestimate me…!” She grit her teeth and then glared at Xinxin. “Fine! If you do not have a heart demon… I will force you to have one! Secret technique-”

“Kneel.”

Pressure erupted above the scarred woman and sent her sprawling against the ground.

“Kuh-!”

Xinxin shook her head. “This is a waste of time… so I will end this quickly.” Darkness gathered around her, similar to the demon from before.

Was he watching? Xinxin wanted to test something… so she decided to imitate him.

Black tendrils erupted from the ground around the scarred woman.

Did she realize her fate? The so-called Madam of Illusions opened her eyes wide and struggled to stand.

Too late. The tendrils pierced her body, draining everything she had.

Once more, Xinxin felt that strange brand shift from herself to her opponent before returning with a current of power, that strange energy omnipresent in this world… and that was it. Either the scarred woman was weak enough to where her strength added nothing to Xinxin, or she had been relying on a hidden weapon.

Xinxin sighed and picked up a bag of coin that was left behind by the scarred woman before leaving.

Behind her, Xinxin heard the crowd boo, clearly displeased. At the same time, the masked man spoke, trying to placate them.

But at that point, Xinxin couldn’t be bothered to pay attention, instead heading towards the attendant waiting for her at the door.

“Congratulations yet again, Miss Faith.” The attendant bowed and opened the door to exit the arena.

Xinxin shook her head. “This… how many more matches until the tournament is finished?”

The attendant started walking, leading the way back. After that, she said, “For you, there are four more in wait. It would have been longer, but the actions of you and the other demon have thinned the roster by a large margin.”

“Is that so? Good. That means I can leave this farce sooner.”

Also, that meant that Wang Tian would be less likely to scour the kingdom looking for her. So far, it had only been a few hours since she left, but the longer she was away… Hm. Well, it could also be a test for his sincerity. After all, if he respected her wishes, he would not barge into her private grounds unannounced.

The attendant turned back and smiled. “A farce, you say? The Master would be disappointed to hear that after his hard work… but I agree.” The silver-haired young woman sighed and continued walking down the hallway. “This is quite the farce. To think that so few powerful individuals appeared…”

Xinxin frowned. “That-“

“You.” A voice called out. Masculine and cold.

The attendant came to a stop in front of Xinxin and tilted her head. “May I help you, sir?”

The one that called out was the demon. That Dark Knight. He glanced at the attendant and shook his head. “Not you… you.” He looked past her and pointed at Xinxin.

“What?” Xinxin gave him a cold smile. “Enchanted by my beauty? If so, I suggest you bite your tongue lest I rip it out myself.”

Despite her harsh words, the demon didn’t react. His face was fixed in a firm frown, and his crimson eyes stared at Xinxin, as if trying to peer through her secrets.

Xinxin felt her patience running thin and started to step forward. But before she did, the demon spoke again.

“You… possess darkness,” he said. “And yet… you are not a demon.”

Xinxin rolled her eyes. “You barred my path to say that?” She shook her head and gestured towards her attendant. “Continue. There is no need to heed such a rude and callous man.”

The attendant looked conflicted, but then nodded. “As you wish, Miss Faith.” Like that, she stepped around the demon and continued down the hall.

Xinxin followed after her. But, after a few steps, she realized that the demon was following as well.

Sensing that he wouldn’t leave her alone, Xinxin turned around and crossed her arms. “What is it? Spit it out and leave before I make you leave.”

Behind her, the attendant called out. “Miss Faith. I would like to say that fighting between contestants outside the arena is strictly forbidden.”

Xinxin’s eye twitched.

Perhaps realizing her mood, the demon bowed his head. “My apologies. I did not mean to offend you. It is just… surprising.” He raised his head and frowned. “For a human to possess darkness should be impossible.”

Xinxin tilted her head. “How arrogant. Darkness is not the exclusive domain of demons.” If that was true, her Sifu would have never been able to… use it?

Xinxin paused and considered that fact.

Her Sifu had used darkness, but she also remembered him fading away the one time she saw him training. That… and considering his loss to the Goddess…

The demon nodded. “That is true. But darkness… it is a potent power that distorts and corrodes the wielder. Used by humans or other living beings that are not demons would simply turn them into monsters. Yet you… you wield it as a demon- no, as a Demon Lord might.”

Xinxin shook her head. “That is interesting… but I do not care. For you or your curiosity.” She turned around and started walking away. “Go to your match… or whatever it is you planned to do.”

“Wait-“

Xinxin waved her hand and blocked the path with her spiritual sense. After that, she turned to the attendant and smiled. “Please, continue to lead the way.”

The attendant glanced between her and the demon who was pounding on what appeared to be thin air. After a moment, she nodded and said, “As you wish, Miss Faith.”


Time passed and Xinxin continued on her undefeated streak. Perhaps after the results of her first few matches, the rest of her opponents took her seriously. Yet, even though they did, her powers, granted to her by her Sifu, carried the day.

And thus, it was time for the final fight of the Dark Tournament.

Xinxin stepped onto the arena. When she did, the masked man’s image appeared once more.

Spreading his arms, the masked man said, “The time has come, dear spectators! Sadly, the Dark Tournament for this year has reached its end… but worry not! The best fight has been saved for last, with both of the dark horse competitors finally facing each other!”

The crowd roared.

The masked man swept his arms towards Xinxin and said, “In one corner, we have the enchanting Faith, the peerless beauty that defeated each of her opponents in a single blow! From veterans to unexpectedly talented newcomers, all have fallen for her!”

Xinxin’s eye twitched. Bad jokes at this point in the tournament… no. It was almost done. Now she just had to finish this fight and then she could quickly leave and arrange her next steps.

The masked man swept his arm to the other side of the arena and said, “In the other corner, we have the mysterious Dark Knight! Like the enchanting Faith, he has also gone undefeated, cutting down his opponents in a single blow! Two demons, fated to clash! Who will win, who will fall? The time has come to decide!”

Xinxin let out a breath and focused. She stared at the other side of the arena, waiting for the match to begin.

And waited.

And waited…

The crowd grew restless.

Xinxin didn’t turn to look in case it was a distraction. The demon… it was possible that he had unknown abilities she could not perceive on a simple glance. Thus she waited…

But soon it became clear that it was no distraction.

The masked man reappeared and let out a long sigh. “Well… this is unfortunate. It appears that the Dark Knight has withdrawn at the last moment. As a result, the enchanting Faith is the winner of this year’s Dark Tournament!”

What?

The masked man turned to face Xinxin and said, “Please, return to your attendant and go claim your prize.”

…What?! That damned, cowardly demon-


“-Actually withdrew from the tournament!?” Xinxin scowled and stomped her foot. “Did he take me that lightly?!”

The masked man sighed and shook his head. “You have my condolences, Miss Faith. However… were you looking forward to the fight?”

“Of course! I wanted to teach that man a lesson for standing in my way!”

The masked man laughed.

After the attendant led her out of the arena, she was guided back to the stage where the Dark Tournament Grand Prize was kept. There, the masked man organizing the event had appeared to meet with her.

Xinxin let out a long sigh.

…Perhaps she was letting her emotions get the better of her. Ever since awaking in that cottage, her heart had been in turmoil… this turn of events could instead be a blessing in disguise.

“Well,” the masked man said. “Regardless, I must congratulate you for winning this Dark Tournament. It is rare… no, it has never occurred where such a beauty like yourself made it to the very end. Your challenge made me quite a bit of fortune.”

“Hmph.” Xinxin scoffed. “You mean it drew in the lascivious men who wished to see me defiled.”

The masked man laughed. “So you were aware of it?”

“You are fortunate that I have better things to do than spend time dismantling your organization.”

The masked man’s eyes twinkled and he said, “Then I’ll remember to thank my lucky stars. But enough chatter. I suppose you wish to be on your way… and it would be rude to keep you longer in a place you so despise.”

“At least you have some sense.”

The masked man nodded and then waved his hand towards the stage. When he did, space rippled and an invisible barrier surrounding it faded.

Xinxin’s eyes widened when she saw that.

“Surprised?” The masked man sounded amused.

She was. However, she wouldn’t admit it. “Of course not.”

The masked man shrugged and pulled out a bag from his shirt. That done, he waved his hand.

The overflowing pile of platinum coins flew into the bag, making a soft clink noise as they entered. When they were all inside, he handed the bag to Xinxin.

She paused and stared at the bag, trying to see if there were any hidden tricks.

“Cautious as ever, hm? Well, I suppose it’s expected from a beauty like yourself. But you can relax. Despite the events I run, I do uphold a sense of honor. It’d be impossible to do business otherwise.”

Xinxin ignored him for a bit. Yet, try as she might, she didn’t sense anything off about the bag, so she reluctantly took it from him.

Though his mask hid the man’s face, Xinxin got the sense that he was smiling behind it.

“Well, there’s one half of your prize. As for the other…” He turned to look at the elf.

Xinxin did as well.

Before, the elf hadn’t so much as glanced her way when Xinxin saw her. But she supposed that was due to the invisible barrier. Now though, the elf glared at Xinxin. Her eyes, a dark green jade, were narrowed in pure hatred.

The masked man dug in his shirt again and held out a jade slip. “This is the soul contract for your other prize. Ah, and while that elf might seem dangerous, rest assured that she won’t be able to do so much as lift a finger without your commands when you’ve activated the contract.”

Xinxin took the jade slip and frowned. “…Is that so?” She glanced back at the elf… the exotic Western Continent slave that she had won.

She was bound and gagged, her clothes completely tattered. From the faint marks on her body visible beneath her clothes, the fate that befell the elf was already clear. Yet, in spite of that, her eyes weren’t dazed or lifeless. Instead, they shone with malice- no, obsession.

“Well… I suppose that’s it from me.” The masked man stretched and then turned around. “I trust you know the way out, but in case you don’t, the slip will also works as a map. I’ve already informed my staff to leave you be, so take as long as you want to settle your affairs. Ah, and thanks again for providing me with such a wonderful opportunity to earn money.” He waved and then vanished.

Xinxin frowned and swept the surroundings… but she didn’t see anything or anyone.

“That man…”

He was odd. Unreadable and, from how he vanished, also incredibly powerful.

Xinxin was cautious, as well as curious… but she remembered her Sifu’s words about curiosity killing the cat and decided to leave it be.

Instead, she swept her spiritual sense over the jade slip. When she did, writing appeared, hovering over the elf.


[Status Screen]

Name: Titania Sylvania
Gender: Female
Level: 100
Age: 498 years old
Race: Elf
Combat potential: A
Primary skill: Ice-Wind Blade
Primary titles: Defiled Maiden, Vengeful Blade, Eldest Princess

Summary:  The eldest princess of Alvheim. Hailed as a genius combatant, skilled at both magic and the sword. Developed a unique ability that pioneered the path of swordsmanship for elves that maximizes their natural affinity towards mana.

Falling in the invasion of Alvheim, she was captured and defiled. Her pride as a princess and warrior have been continually shattered and her mind broken beneath pleasure and pain. In the depths of despair, her thoughts were only of her youngest sister that was still just a baby in elf years. Yet, great trauma has twisted those thoughts into malice.

There's probably a lot of questions. Hopefully future chapters will answer them.

Thanks as always for reading and leaving your comments, and I hope this chapter was enjoyable.

I'll see you tomorrow... still working out on getting a routine time though, so not sure when just yet.

Until then!

20