Chapter 12 – Slaying some p*ssy
202 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few weeks pass, nothing changes as Sam is still waiting for the egg to hatch. He has not been called up since and the Instructor has not been seen since that day.

 

Sam is in the bathroom, the sole private space in the whole place, but it’s still time limited. He washes up and heads out, it’s another standard training exercise. It might be about formation work, or it might be about joint strikes.

 

Either way it goes, it will be boring as this stuff is all designed for even the most mindless person to work it.

 

Sam looks at his hair, “Is it getting long?”

 

*BZZT*

 

Sam looks at what buzzed, an intercom system for the base. The screen is flashing with a single line, ‘Instructor Kelle will see you in 5 minutes. Small Craft Field #2. This is not a request.’

 

He reads it over and over again, ensuring he has read it right, “What…”

 

It takes him a moment to recall who it is before he scrambles to get ready; he dries himself off before clothing himself, collecting his gear and running off. 

 

Sam has spent the last few weeks familiarising himself with the layout here, it’s a mad dash as per usual for this person yet with the constant training it’s much easier this time as he makes it to the field in ample time standing before the short man.

 

“Good job, 3 minutes and 3 seconds. It’d take me 2 minutes 40 so you have some catching up still to do though.”

 

“Sir, you called me?”

 

“That I did Tonak, you recall that time I allowed you to go on a hunting mission?”

 

“I do, Sir.

 

“Do you recall the result of that mission?”

 

“Umm, Sir, I recall killing 43 ‘Spirit Worms’ and getting 2 heavy strikes on a larger one.”

 

“Good work, now I am not disputing your claim. I think you did a great job and I can personally attest that I have counted and confirmed every single one of those kills…,” the short man takes a deep breath while Sam raises an eye brow, “BUT SOME LOW LIFE IDIOT, SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT ADMIT WHEN HE IS WRONG, WILL NOT CONFIRM THAT COUNT.”

 

The instructor's face goes red as he shouts, Sam is startled by the loudness of the voice coming out of the little man.

 

“What does that mean?”

 

The instructor frowns and looks at Sam with a stern face, Sam quickly corrects himself, “Sir, what does that mean, sir?,” followed shortly by, “Sorry sir.”

 

“It means to get the bet settled we will have you undertake another mission.”

 

A loud electrical engine hum comes from above, a sleek aircraft lowers to the ground. This one looks like it’s designed for sleep more so than armour. It quickly lands in a quickly quietening engine.

 

“What sort of bet, sir?”

 

“They’ll tell you on the craft.”

 

“Sir, will I—

 

Sam cuts his words off upon seeing the Instructor’s facial expression switch.

 

“A reward for the company is a reward for everyone.”

 

Sam inwardly sighs, “Yes sir” he says as they watch the craft land in almost silence.

 

8 people quickly exit the craft, half of them walk away while the other half open some sort of hatch and dump something on the ground. Sam cannot see it but he can smell it, it smells like dead things.

 

“Ground-Horn Dogs, they breed like rabbits.”

 

“I see. Are there any rabbits around here?”

 

The instructor laughs, “Hahah, boy, if there were rabbits in the nearby region we would not have any sort of crops for a thousand kilometres.”

 

Sam nods as they watch some vehicles come by cleaning up the mess and restocking the craft, “Ok let’s go.”

 

The instructor walks towards the craft, Sam follows by closely as he looks at all the people trying to see if he can spot anyone he recognises but cannot so far. He’s left disappointed as they walk up the ramp and into the craft.

 

It’s only a single room that seems cramped. The instructor bangs on the cabin door. It swings open quickly, revealing someone that Sam recognises.

 

They both nod at each other before he turns to Instructor Kelle, “Wellis, you really think you can get out of the bet.”

 

“I never said I wanted to get out of the bet, I said I already found a use for the thing I promised you. I can give you something else. It might even be more suitable if you plan on giving it to this young man.”

 

Sam smiles and looks at the Instructor, but the instructor’s face is bright red.

 

“I have other plans for that item. I will not accept a swap, if you deny his abilities then we’ll up the stakes. I’ll bet my prized arachnae - fluid extract on top, if you promise what you just talked about.”

 

Wellis stands there squinting, before nodding and holding out his hand.

 

Instructor Kelle grabs it, they shake their hands twice with vigour, “Deal.”

 

“Deal.”

 

“Ok Tonak, you need to make me proud again. I hope to see a higher count this time, you’re somewhat trained now.”

 

Sam nods, Instructor Kelle laughs and leaves the ship as more people pile in.

 

“So Tonak, you’re still newbie of the group. This is Charlie squadron, they’re based out of camp beta. Simple mission today, thinning out some landing sites, we’ve already done two. Next one is probably the safest.”

 

“Probably?”

 

“We haven’t been there for a few weeks. Nothing can establish a large nest in that time, that leaves small scattered creatures. They can be small, they can also be… a bigger version of small.”

 

“I see”

 

“You’ll be fine, I see you brought that sword of yours again. These things are quick, so that might be a burden. You can leave it on the ship if you wish.”

 

Sam frowns before nodding, opting to store it away and taking the advice of the captain.

 

His body suddenly feels much lighter as he takes out the light sword and places it on his side before he checks his other weapons, there’s only so many places to put a dagger in this clothing, unlike everyone else he’s still wearing the boot camp uniform that looks like a high school uniform.

 

The door shuts, the body of the craft shakes slightly before it goes eerily still.

 

Sam looks around and notices a few people yawning, someone notices him looking at them and speaks, “Be ready to drop and run.”

 

Sam nods when suddenly the engines and an electrical humming come to life, it gets louder and louder as he finds it harder to maintain balance. The surrounding people don’t notice his struggles as they check their equipment and armour.

 

“Drop in 4…”

 

“3….

 

“Who’s babysitting?”

 

“Nadia’s squad.”

 

The crowd of people laugh as Sam tries to spot out who isn’t, he’s unable to in the commotion of people getting in position.

 

“GO!”

 

The door swings open, Sam waits his turn but is suddenly pushed from behind out the door.

 

It’s a long narrow clearing by a river, a dying forest is beside it with trees and rotting leaves everywhere, a black growth appears to be going over every tree rotting it from the outside in.

 

Sam takes in what he can as he follows the group of people, they’re running somewhere up hill but he isn’t concerned where as the roars of creatures surround him. This time he can see the creatures but they’re being killed too quickly or they move too fast revealing a blur or dead body.

 

Sam curses leaving the harbinger behind. It could have served as a shield at the least.

 

“We will arrive at point 1 shortly, everyone do your jobs then we can have some fun.”

 

A few people cheer as they run somewhere, Sam can spot it now. A multiple story building that’s built high inside a crack in a rock face. It’s heavily defended with automated turrets but the rock face is scarred with battle marks.

 

They reach a fenced off area and set about to work as they work on electronics and other things he doesn’t know about. This lasts several minutes before a noise comes from above.

 

“Ah got it. Ok, well only two people need to go up. We’ll leave some here while everyone can get some credits.”

 

“What are the prized creatures?”

 

“Honey-suckle Teat”

 

Several people laugh at it, it takes Sam a moment to get it, “Watch out for the cats, they’re able to appear from almost anywhere.”

 

“Too bad they’re not actual pussies, I’d like them to jump at me then.”

 

“Ok, I see you guys are getting excited,” the commander speaks up, “no one will leave a 3km radius. You will inform us of each kill. Every 60 seconds someone will check in to ensure status of newbie.”

 

“60 seconds?”

 

“Did I stutter?”

 

“No.”

 

“Good, now go.”

 

The commander wearing a patch on his clothing walks towards Sam, “I have been instructed to tell you to stick by the river. Avoid fallen trees and dark areas.”

 

“Will I need goggles?” Sam asks.

 

“You can use a wide-band pair of goggles, they will assist you in spotting unseen threats. There are no known incidents of spirit-class life forms in this area. If there are, your goggles will inform you.”

 

Sam takes the thick pair of goggles, the strap is broken rendering it almost useless. He forces it on his head.

 

“Are there boss creatures?”

 

“There should not be. If there is, then inform your caretaker.”

 

“Great. Thanks for the advice.”

 

The commander nods his head and walks away. He has a few quiet words with someone nearby who shortly after disappears. Sam smirks to himself. He had suspected that was Nadia by behaviours shown.

 

Sam watches the elevator carry the people up, wondering a moment what they’re doing before hearing the hissing of savage sounding cats. The sound sends a shiver up his spine; it has a soul chilling effect even from this distance.

 

He pulls out his sword and quietly places some daggers in his other hand, the weapon pouch is stitched into his sleeve allowing easy access to his other weapons. Placing them in quick access spots.

 

‘Alright, I have to… kill stuff by the river. I hope it’s nothing cute…’ Sam suddenly feels bad about having to kill cats when another hissing comes over the area, it’s closer causing his teeth to chatter.

 

The hissing abruptly stops.

 

Sam looks in that direction, it’s towards the dead forest. His feet decide to carry him in the other direction, which just so happens to be the direction to the river as he can no longer hear demonic hissing and screeching.

 

The sound of water flowing fills the area, 

 

Sam walks towards the river, “Wonder if there will be any fish?” he says as he approaches the shallow and clear looking stream when,

 

*rustle rustle*

 

Sam looks in that direction, a hand reaching for some daggers ready to throw.

 

*rustle*

 

Sam spots movement, he spots a long tail poking above the grass leaving him no choice but to react.

 

“HA!”

 

He flicks his hand; the daggers fly through their air perfectly straight.

 

They pierce through the air in an instant and hit their target, a hissing and gurgling sound can be sound before it’s replaced with the sound of the river.

 

Sam walks over to it and confirms the kill, also to recover his daggers.

 

He looks at the creature, it was a cat… It looks deformed as its face is elongated, it has long pointed ears and a hairless underside. The tail has large spikes on it while the claws are huge dripping with poison.

 

Sam opens the jaw looking at the teeth, they’re as long as his pinky. The entire size of the creature is about half the size of a standard dog, much bigger than the ones people can keep for pets if they’re rich.

 

He fishes his daggers out of the flesh when his ears catch more noise, he’s given little time to react as he uses the dagger in his hand.

 

“SCHCHCH”

 

A large rat is pouncing at him, it’s a large brown and black rat and seems crazed as it’s flying towards him.

 

Sam stabs his dagger into the rat but the rat manages to grab hold of his arm biting it several times. 

 

Sam stabs the rat several more times in the head killing it, he hisses at the pain coursing through his body but doesn’t do anything but treat his wound quickly, he just needs to clean the wound and apply a powder over the top.

 

Sam sets about doing this. He looks at the river water but doesn’t move and using one of his few wound cloths. The bites aren’t deep, but they’re leaking a purple fluid.

 

Sam sprinkles the medical powder over his wound causing it to sting in pain, but it pushes the foreign bodies out of his body and closes the wound. It’s a temporary measure for this purpose but it’ll hold.

 

He dresses the wound before standing up again and looking around, there’s a dead forest on one side that he can’t go near. There’s the river on the other side while he’s in the area between them with short patches of grass and rocks.

 

Sam looks around and spots nothing. He walks around and beyond some more rats and cats. There was nothing else for him to kill. He does another loop before sitting down on a large rock by the river.

 

A pile of cats and rats are nearby, nothing has been challenging for him.

 

“It’s like these things are sick, they’re so slow.”

 

A voice comes from his side, Sam had felt someone was over there before so their appearance isn’t a shock, “They are, that’s what we’re trying to help with” yet their voice is.

 

“By killing them?”

 

“It’s not killing them, we’re freeing them from suffering. They’re not themselves anymore when they’re like this. They’re twisted beyond recognition into hideous beasts that only know how to attack” the strange modulated voice speaks.

 

“Why does that happen? Have we found something out? Is that why we’re here?”

 

“We’re always trying to help them. Help them seek salvation. They’ll be embraced and reborn.”

 

“That’s nothing you can prove.”

 

“It’s not something that needs to be proven. It just is, my belief that it is the case makes it so.”

 

“What? That’s just circular reasoning. Is it something to do with the dead forest nearby?”

 

The person looks in the direction, their long dark blue hair falls out of their helmet as they look back.

 

“Yes, sort of. Are you done with your task? I don’t think that’s enough to win the bet.”

 

“What do you suggest?”

 

lol that title.

2