Chapter 179: Bidding Conflict
188 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Energy Orbs, primarily used as fuels for powerful magic formations, were essential for all Secret Organisations. A thousand of them could build a house at the outskirt of the Garcient Kingdom, a relatively small price for the wealthy but quite extravagant for a single Ever-Blazing Lotus.

The bidders whispered among each other, their eyes fixing on the premium suite. Knowing The Court had joined the bid, most people tacitly withdrew their bids. They couldn’t win against The Court and would only slight them.

“Is there anyone who would bid further?” the announcer said. “If not, the Ever-Blazing Lotus will—”

“One thousand and one hundred Energy Orbs,” a hoarse voice echoed.

In the auction hall, a cloaked man stood up and raised his head, staring at The Court’s suite. His gloomy face, covered in scars, twisted into a mad grin.

“Shall we continue bidding, Corrupted Ones?”

Iris raised her brows. She expected some people to fight her bid because they needed the lotus, not because they wished to trouble The Court. She observed the cloaked man and then closed her eyes, smiling.

“A thousand and two hundred,” she said. “No need to introduce yourself.”

While Iris took another sip of her tea, Lorient came to her side. “Lady Iris, that man is a survivor of Broken Wing of Freedom. Our Court joined hands with a few other Secret Organisations to usurp it.”

“His aura interests me. Though it smells foul like the other cultists, there is a hint of something fragrant.”

“He might be one of the priests who sealed an evil existence inside his body.” Lorient frowned. “I shall get rid of him.”

Iris shook her head. “If we kill the rat, how will we lure out its master?”

“A thousand and three hundred,” the man said. His expression darkened.

“Add a vial of Spirit Invoking Tree’s nectar to my bid.” Iris rose from her chair and walked to the edge of the suite, overlooking the auction hall.

The man gritted his teeth and lowered his head. As he was about to sit down, he paused. His grave countenance brightened, and he got up again. His eyes, rapidly regaining their flames, locked onto Iris.

“Add a beak of the Fire Devouring Vulture to mine.”

The auction grew silent, eagerly waiting for The Court to retaliate. The other bidders, all contemplating the implication behind the open hostility of the cloaked man, felt excited as well as nervous. The auction this time was going to be an interesting one.

Within the suite, Secain sat on the sofa and ate a piece of cookie. “Lady Iris, will you give up the lotus?”

“I’ve already gotten what I needed.”

Iris turned around and went back to her sofa. She leaned on Secain and fed her a piece of cookie. Secain opened her mouth wide and nibbled on the cookie, playfully licking Iris’s fingers.

While Iris and Secain engrossed themselves, the announcer shook his head after the biding time had passed. He even waited a few seconds longer than usual, but The Court had already let go of their pursuit.

“The Ever-Blazing Lotus shall go to our highest bidder, the Red Eye!” The announcer gestured at the lady holding the chest. She bowed at the cloaked man before leaving the stage.

The next lady walked into the spotlight and revealed her item: a broken weapon created by a famous artefact maker of the past. After glancing at it, Iris went back to teasing Secain.

Without The Court’s overbearing bid, the auction steadily proceeded. Some of the Monster Girls pleaded for Iris to bid for their favourite items. She agreed, but only if they did it in anonymous chambers. They gave Iris a few kisses of gratitude.

Though Lorient scolded them, they appeared nonchalant and kissed Lorient too. Her face grew pink, not from anger but embarrassment.

“Lorient, do you want to play with me?” Iris said.

Lorient shook. “I . . .  mustn’t be distracted.”

“Is satisfying my wish not your duty?”

“I—”

A series of knocks interrupted the conversation. Iris sighed. “Now real distraction happens. Even the world doesn’t want you to play with me.”

Lorient lowered her head and pursed her lips, her hands clenched. She slightly, only slightly, regretted her choice. If she could receive Iris’s grace, not just the pleasure, but the benefit would be overwhelming. Her stubbornness rid her of her success.

A Monster Girl sauntered to the door and opened it. A group of three Beastkins bowed at Iris. The frontmost one, a lady veiled in pink silk, held a delicate chest.

“What’s inside it?” the Monster Girl said.

“My clothes or the chest?” the female Beastkin said. She then turned to Iris, beaming. “Lady Kasbin told us to deliver this Ever-Blazing Lotus to you, Lady Iris.”

“Give her my sincere thanks.” Iris nodded. “You can have that girl if she’s willing.”

The shocked Monster Girl lowered her head. Though she was in her human disguise, her charm didn’t diminish. Her blushes gave her a meek aura which encouraged others to handle her playfully, carefully.

The female Beastkin handed the chest to another Monster Girl. She leaned toward the shy Monster Girl and pulled her collar slowly. “Do you still want to know?”

“Yes . . . please show me.” The Monster Girl grabbed the Beastkin’s hands and guided her to a veiled room.

Their objective completed, the two other Beastkins retreated out of the room.

Iris leaned back onto her sofa. Secain lay on her lap and played with her hair, twirling a few strands into flowers and wings. Standing behind the sofa, Lorient tensed up, feeling uncomfortable.

Her pleading wouldn’t come out of her throat. Every part of her body rejected her desires, the desires that seared her chest, threatening to rupture if unresolved. She opened her mouth, inhaled, exhaled, and made up her mind.

“The next item is the first premium treasure of the auction!” The announcer raised his hands. “The Helix Pin is a utility-oriented Legendary Artefact. Though it possesses no offensive capability, its power to mend other artefacts is unmatched.”

The lady holding the chest lifted the veil. Pink mist gushed out, coating the floor with a sense of mysticism. Illusory flowers sprouted from the ground and blossomed. Their heart-pacifying fragrance enveloped the auction. Even the members of the premium suites got restless, ready to flaunt their wealth.

At first, Iris only observed the Helix Pin, and as she was about to go back to tease Lorient, she paused. The Helix Pin reminded her of the tattered Cloak of Destiny Obscurity. It was an artefact of an unknown tier, the most precious one she had ever seen.

Despite not being a defensive artefact, it could momentarily withstand the assimilation of the void. Without it, Iris would have died before Ludmint could find her.

“This will be fun,” Iris said. “Lorient, sit next to me.”

“As you command.” Holding her breath, Lorient rigidly sat beside Iris. Her left arm slightly grazed Iris’s. Though she pretended not to feel anything, her face flushed. “Is there anything you require?”

“Should I request something?” Iris rested her head on Lorient’s shoulder. “I might distract you.”

“It . . . doesn’t matter!”

“Cute.” Iris giggled. “What do you think of the Helix Pin?”

“Such precious artefact is worthy of your attention, Lady Iris.” Lorient leaned on Iris more, feeling brave. “It’ll grant us a powerful negotiation chip as well as reduce the expense of artefact fixing.”

“Do you think we can get it?”

“So long as you wish.” Lorient lowered her head. “Even if you can’t get it with money, I can . . .”

Iris seized Lorient’s chin and kissed her. Her tongue slid inside Lorient’s mouth, teasing her inside. Lorient wanted to struggle, but her legs and arms wouldn’t respond. They trembled, turning weak, sensitive. She instinctively breathed in and drank Iris’s warm fruity saliva. Her chest burned with flames that made her heart uncontrollable.

“You taste stiff.” Iris pulled back her mouth and licked her lips. “Do I taste like strawberry?”

“Lady Iris . . . why . . . you taste like strawberry.” Lorient wiped her drooping saliva and averted her gaze. Her eyes turned to Secain, who was watching her. “Don’t you feel shame, Secain?”

“You watched me kissing Lady Iris too.” Secain stuck out her tongue. “You’re jealous.”

“Quiet now, you two.” Iris raised her hands, channelling her Corruption Power. Its radiance penetrated the curtain of the premium suite.

The raging bid halted. Most people turned to The Court, waiting for their grand entry. Still, they wouldn’t back down this time. The Helix Pin was too precious to pass up.

“Ten thousand Energy Orbs, five bottles of Youthful Night, and a Key of Tempest.” The Youthful Night was a healing potion created by Morbi, and the Key of Tempest was a consumable which could dispel perilous weather during a voyage.

“Fifteen thousand Energy Orbs, an eyeball of the Ocean Ravager, and a Scroll of Group Relocation,” a voice echoed from another premium suite. Its crimson curtain and devilish presence thickened the atmosphere.

On its balcony, a red-haired man stepped forward. His pitch-black eyes stared at Iris. He grinned, pressed his hands on his chest, and clenched his fists as if gripping Iris’s heart.

“You stand before his eyes,” he whispered.

Iris shuddered. Her legs moved backwards, but she prevented herself from retreating. She straightened her back, her Corruption Power surging beneath her fair skin. The oppressive air wasn’t there; that gaze wasn’t there. This man was merely one of the believers, an insignificant human.

Anger rose in Iris’s heart. She wanted to burst through the premium suite, fly toward the cultist, and rip out his eyes. Nonetheless, she took a deep breath, her hands stroking Secain’s hair. Clarity returned to her eyes, with solemnity flashing within them.

“He can only look but not touch.” Iris laughed. Her crystal voice echoed throughout the auction hall. “Add a Sight Sacrificing Ritual from Eye of Masolis.”

The red-haired man frowned. The veins on his face popped. He shattered a martini glass in his hands and swung it toward Iris. The glass fragments and drink crashed with the magical veil, leaving a noticeable stain on the translucent film.

“Add five Metamorphosis Phase Soul Gems and a Core of a Transformation Phase Fire Elemental.” The man drew his right hand forward and revealed his scarred palm. “My spoil of war, do you want to see them?”

Inside The Court’s suite, the Monster Girls stopped their little game. Their furrowed brows and clenched hands quivered. They looked at the Eye of Masolis, their reddened eyes flashing with bloody light. Iris too creased her brows, though she appeared calmer than others.

“Control yourself, all of you.”

“Lady Iris . . .” Lorient wanted to voice her rejection, but she could feel a terrifying current surging beneath Iris’s cold demeanour. She swallowed her words and signalled other Monster Girls to calm themselves.

“Secain, send these things to Kasbin.” Iris kissed Secain’s cheek before giving her the business card and a letter. “Return once you delivered it. There is no need to wait for the reply.”

“I’ll bring you the good news, so please prepare a good reward for me.” Secain got up from Iris’s lap, took the items, and sank into Iris’s shadow.

After Secain left, Iris once more channelled her Corruption Power. As she was about to bid more, yellowish light flashed across the auction hall. Another premium suite, decorated in golden marbles and scriptures, parted its curtain.

A middle-aged man, donned in a golden Archbishop cloak, raised his head. Behind him, three Bishops held their staffs high, singing praises for the Ancient God of Knowledge.

“We the Church of Knowledge are interested in the Helix Pin,” Halton said. “Fifty thousand Energy Orbs and a Lantern of Wisdom.”

Thing's getting heated!


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

7