Chapter 191: Guiding the Guide
158 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With their hands intertwined, the Irises strolled along the path of greenery and flowers. The Monster Girl Iris, leading the guide, expressed a gentle, knowing smile as she occasionally uttered her soft flirts. The guide pretended not to understand the hidden meanings, but her blushing face betrayed her. When she received praise, her chest tightened, and her eyes nervously glanced behind her.

Parmin silently followed. She clasped her hands behind her back, squeezing her palms. The strangeness in her countenance magnified every moment, spreading from her stiff smile to her narrowed eyes to her sensitive ears. She wanted to call out for Iris, the Iris whom she adored and teased, yet she found herself conflicted.

She might’ve overplayed her hand.

“Iris,” she said. “Can I have your attention?”

The guide instinctively turned around. Her bright emerald eyes stared at Parmin, who flashed a wry smile. Realising her mistake, the guide blushed. She carefully tucked the Monster Girl Iris’s dress.

The Monster Girl Iris looked at the guide and tilted her head.

“Lady . . . Iris, your girlfriend called.” The guide lowered her head. She could’ve apologised, but the other Iris wouldn’t want her to do it.

“Ignore her,” the Monster Girl Iris said. “Only you get to call me Iris.”

“But I’m also Iris.”

“There’s no ambiguity between us.” The Monster Girl Iris beamed. “I’ve remembered your voice. You must remember mine, too.”

“I’ll try, Lady—Iris.”

The Monster Girl Iris nodded and shifted her gaze forward. She pulled the guide with her while admiring the beauty of both nature and her companion. She sometimes stopped by to pluck a large flower, which she placed on her guide’s right ear.

In their merriment, the Irises slowly bonded. They chatted and nuzzled, the Monster Girl Iris subtly guiding their intimacy. Though guilt-ridden, the guide couldn’t refuse this treatment. She could only convey her sorry through her powerless gaze toward Parmin.

Cold winds blew against Parmin’s lonely oriental dress, fluttering her silky brown hair. She grasped the flying strands, stroked them as Iris would, and pulled them behind her ears. Despite the similar sensation, her heart remained lonesome.

Only the warmth of her partner could dispel this cold.

“Dear Elizabeth,” Parmin said. “Please forgive me.”

The Monster Girl Iris froze, though her eyes stayed fixed forward. “My formal name’s cumbersome, is it not?”

“Your name’s as charming as you, Dear.” Parmin moved closer to the Irises and drew out her right hand. A golden hairpin appeared in her palm. “Could this hairpin be exchanged for your forgiveness?”

“Why a hairpin?”

“Your flowing hair is much too lovely to be braided. I merely wish to add to your beauty without tarnishing it.”

“There are two Irises; I won’t accept the reward if it’s only for me.”

The guide widened her eyes. She stared at Parmin, tears welling in her shocked eyes. This wasn’t what she wanted; she didn’t sign up for this.

Parmin chuckled and raised her right hand, showing another, less-luxurious hairpin. Unlike its golden counterpart, this humble, wood-carved hairpin complimented the guide’s earthly disposition.

“Please don’t mistake my intention, Iris,” Parmin said. “The golden hairpin will soil your foresty charm. Though not as prominent, this wooden hairpin’s worth is the same as the golden one.”

The guide bit her lips. She hesitantly reached out her hand while eyeing the Monster Girl Iris, who lightly nodded. Once she got permission, her brave hand carefully took the wooden hairpin, toyed with it, and adorned it atop her head.

“Thank you, Lady Parmin.” She bowed at Parmin and then looked to Iris. “Thank you, too, Iris.”

“She’s the one who should thank you.”

“What for?”

Parmin leaned forward and kissed the guide’s right cheek. Her soft lips pursed against the delicate skin, leaving a hint of moisture and redness on it. The lingering warmth infected the guide with pinkness which spread across her face.

“You’re my second chance,” Parmin smirked. “I love you, Iris.”

The Monster Girl Iris hmphed but turned her right cheek toward Parmin regardless. The expectance in her eyes betrayed her cold look, though Parmin commented nothing on it; Iris might do something unpredictable once her cover got blown away.

Parmin bent forward. As she kissed the Monster Girl Iris, her tongue playfully wetted Iris’s lips. Her hands hovered above Iris’s head, neatly arranging her hair before adding the golden hairpin on top.

Iris pursed her lips, nibbling on Parmin’s savoury tongue.

“You are beautiful, Dear Elizabeth.” Parmin retreated and licked her lips. The candy and earthly flavour of double Irises mixed inside her mouth.

“You’re cunning, but I don’t mind. You still can’t call me Iris, however. A hairpin alone isn’t enough.”

“Wherever you go, I’ll follow.”

The guide shrunk her back. She who had never received this much adoration felt her heart pounding. It was as if she were a part of this precious relationship, all because her name was the same as one of the pair.

Maybe this was Fate?

The Monster Girl Iris dragged the guide up the hill, passing multiple lovely spots. The absentminded guide only realised that she missed many attractions when Iris overtook the three-lady group.

“Iris . . . aren’t you going to look around?” the guide said, her voice shaky. “You’ve passed many beautiful spots, yet you didn’t stop at any of them. Is my service poor?”

The Monster Girl Iris chuckled. “Your presence alone is enough.”

“Then why . . .”

“Whichever spot I walk past, others also walk past. I wish for a unique and unforgettable experience. People rarely visit the inner part of the forest, don’t they?”

“There’s still wildlife inhabiting the Rising Mirth Park. I can’t put you through any uncontrollable risk.”

The Monster Girl Iris glanced at Parmin, whose lips curved into a smug smile. Lightly coughing, Parmin strolled toward the guide and touched her shoulders gently.

A cooling sensation flooded the guide’s trembling body, soothing her anxiety. She relaxed and breathed out. Her eyes peeked at the tall, elegant Parmin, her cheeks turning pink from their closeness. This wonderful lady’s warmth tickled her.

“Lady Parmin?” the guide said.

“We know what we’re doing, Iris.” Parmin’s mild tone enveloped the guide. “A small wilderness near the population won’t be deadly. Moreover, to observe nature’s true beauty, isn’t that your service?”

The guide struggled with her decision before she relented. So long as she stayed vigilant, nothing bad would happen: they would protect her like how she would guide them, with all their hearts and souls.

This irrational thought plagued her mind, and she didn’t want to discard it.

“If I deem the situation perilous, we’ll swiftly retreat to the ordinary track.”

“Safety is of utmost importance.” Parmin nodded and turned to the Monster Girl Iris. “Dear, where should we go?”

The Monster Girl Iris clicked her tongue. A mischievous smile manifested on her face. “Where the heart leads, the body goes.”

She held the guide’s hand and continued her journey. As she overtook more and more groups, the path gradually became sparse. The overgrown invaded the dirt track with vines hanging from the branching trees and flowers swaying under the dark green shade.

When they reached junctions, the Monster Girl Iris never contemplated her choice. She took her pick and moved on. At first, the perplexed guide would talk to Parmin, hoping she would dissuade the other Iris from choosing too quickly, but Parmin would only reassure her.

After a while, she noticed that her group steadily approached the depth of the forest. Green moss on cracked rocks glowed under the shadow of large, untrimmed trees. Cold drafts whistled in a lovely tone as they shuffled through the thick layers of creepers.

Because of the dense canopy of leaves, a shadowy ambience took reigned, revolted against by the remnant of golden sunlight which penetrated the layered greenness.

The guide knew of this place, but she’d never been here. This deserted, unused, unmaintained area wasn’t somewhere a guide and her clients should be.

Or so she thought.

“I . . . am I dreaming?”

The guide Iris overtook the Monster Girl Iris. Her heart racing, she reached out her right hand and touched the large mushrooms’ coarse, bouncy surface. Their brownish-white surface wiggled under her touch, and a soft glow leaked out of the bottom of their heads.

She had never seen these mushrooms before. They only grew in a damp environment with brief sunlight.

“I might be,” Parmin said. “Otherwise, how can two angels be standing before me?”

The guide jolted out of her fantasy. Her manner, unbefitting of her profession, caused her face to redden. She softly coughed, turned to face her clients, and held her chest high.

“This environment, although cool and refreshed, is of greater danger than before. The swamp and dim climate house many exotic plants and insects,” she said. “From now on, please refrain from touching any unknown lives, especially those of colourful shades. Not without consulting with me first.”

“Your earlier action didn’t inspire my confidence.” The Monster Girl Iris walked to behind the guide, leaned on her, and smiled. “Though I have little experience as a guide, I’m well-versed in botany. Did you know that mushrooms aren’t plants?”

The guide narrowed her eyes. “I don’t need to know the technicality of things to know which one I shouldn’t touch.”

The Monster Girl Iris opened her mouth and then closed it. She couldn’t deny such an honest and confident attitude. Although in-depth knowledge regarding nature was essential for academic research, not all Irises were scholars.

“Let’s not dwell on this boring topic. We’re here for nature’s beauty, not a lecture,” Parmin said. “Besides, if you’re going to bicker, allow me to join in.”

“This is an Iris-only debate. Please keep quiet, Not Iris.” The Monster Girl Iris hmphed and grabbed the guide Iris’s hand. “She’s right; this isn’t the right place. Our destination is near.”

The guide wanted to ask, but her question would go unanswered. She could only follow her client into the unknown while occasionally saying a few words of caution which, to her surprise, the Monster Girl Iris and Parmin strictly followed.

The thickening forest masked the sunlight and human activity. Artificial paths receded beneath the grasses. Noises dampened under the leaves. Looking back and tracing their trail became challenging.

“We’re rapidly approaching the unknown territory, Iris.” The guide tucked the other Iris’s hand. “You might know more about plants, but I know more about this landscape. Powerful Wild Beasts frequent this area. Without knights or mercenaries to protect us, the way onward is unsafe.”

The Monster Girl Iris chuckled. So innocence, so lovely. Instead of fearing the Wild Beasts, she should fear her clients. In this isolated place, who could hear her cry?

“No need to panic, for we have arrived.”

The group stopped at the end of the path. A sea of vines hung from an impressive branch, where flowers coiled, blossoming in myriad shades, covering the area with calming scents.

As the group grew quiet, muffled splashes penetrated the silence. The guide’s eyes lit up. She strode forward, her hands reaching out to the vines. She carefully pulled them to the sides, allowing sunlight to wash over her vision.

No longer was she in a jungle.

For which Iris should we worry?


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith, and Shadow! You all are my motivation booster!

Read ahead by joining my Patreon, or get notified of the next release by joining my Discord.

8