Chapter 1: Dragons Lair
597 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eon was a young, orphaned boy born into a medieval era of swords and magic in a world quite similar to earth. He was around 15 years of age and was about to register as an adventurer. The role of adventurers was to explore structures known as dungeons which appear through this world. They are crawling with monsters, traps and danger but there are many rare materials which can be sold at high prices so many risk their lives to explore these dungeons.

As Eon had no education, he could only do simple manual labour and odd jobs to try to earn enough money for an inn and some bread. He had run incredibly low on funds and it was hard to find such labour jobs available, so he had come to the adventures guild to register.

People in this world are born with a single skill which is determined at birth and could not be changed. Eon’s skill was creation magic. Although it sounds amazing its actually an F ranked skill.

The skill allows the user to create any object that they understood how it was made from thin air without the need for materials. So for example the user wouldn’t need to carry their weapon around with them since they could just create it when needed.

However, the skill was extremely hard to level up. At level 1 the user can make grains of sand or some blades of grass. Creating a single grain of sand would consume the user’s entire mana pool and they would need to fill a bucket worth of sand in order to level up just once. So many with this skill never even reached level 2 after many years of intense practice.

There were some old men in the wizard tower at around 90 years of age who had levelled their creation magic skill to level 3, this allowed them to create things out of metal such as daggers or coins, they were all very wealthy since they could create endless currency but considering that they had to practice for 90 years and only had a few years remaining to enjoy their newfound wealth it was not really that impressive.

Eon pushed on the sturdy wooden doors and entered the guilds main area, as he looked around he could see some rough looking adventures wearing scratched and torn leather armour and had chipped and worn down weapons strapped to their waists. They were likely E or possibly D ranked adventures that had enough money to afford low level equipment but not enough to get them regularly repaired or replaced.

They turned their gazes from their booze and looked at Eon with a dangerous look in their eyes as if looking upon new prey. The adventure job was very competitive as there were limited requests being put on offer and some adventures would often wake up as the sun comes up to get to the guild and grab the newest requests as soon as possible before anyone else could.

Therefore, despite it being around lunch time the adventures were already drinking, they properly been up early and had either finished their requests and returned or did not manage to get a request in time and are waiting to see if any new ones will be posted.

Eon walked up to the desk ignoring the adventures which seemed to only make their gazes dig deeper into him with malice intent. Sweat formed on Eon’s forehead making his face shine slightly under the dim light coming from a window at the back of the room.

He walked up to the receptionist desk slowly and spoke up in a smaller than usual voice and looked at the beautiful elf standing behind the receptionist desk, her gorgeous long platinum hair that was waist length gleamed like moonlight. She was tall and would be considered a world class beauty. Her name is Aldriel a half elf born between an eleven wind mage and a human spearman.

She is a former famous adventure but since she was getting on in years despite her looks, she decided to retire and become a vice guild leader of this city’s adventures guild.

 

[ Aldriel age: 247 ]

[Race Half elf]

Level: 82

Title: Magic spearman, Demon Slayer, Former A rank adventurer (vice guild leader)

Skills: Advanced Spear mastery 4, Intermediate Wind magic 6, Intermediate Earth magic 4

Strength: 68, Magic: 52

 

She inherited wind magic from her mother and the spear arts from her father, she was also born able to use earth magic. This is a special privilege given to people who are born between two different races. Usually a person is only born with one or two skills at birth but Aldriel was instead born with 3 different skills. This allowed her to quickly rise to be an A rank adventurer famous across the continent. There are only around a 100 A ranked adventures in the world so they are very rare and many empires and kingdoms on the continent have their political power decided by how many A rank adventures reside in their lands.

There are a few S ranked adventures in existence but no one country can keep them inside their borders, currently the most infamous S ranked adventurer is a half demon known as The Reaper. Apparently, he was born between a demon and a high elf, the high elf was saved by a friendly demon who killed his own kind when they were invading the elf’s territory.

Because she was saved from near death by the Archdemon they fell in love and the high elf became pregnant. She returned to the elf village to tell everyone the news, but she was cast out for having had a child with a demon and ended up living alone. Her demon lover had been killed in battle with a group of A ranked adventures which had included the guild receptionist Aldriel.  

[ Salroch (Larethahl) age: 40]

[Race Half Archdemon half high elf]

Level: 98

Title: The Reaper, S rank adventurer, Dragon Slayer, Kraken slayer, The Executioner, The Cold One

Skills:  Expert Scythe mastery 7, Advanced Dark magic 9, Intermediate Light magic 3

Strength: 91, Magic: 75

 

Eon asked Aldriel if he could register as an adventurer, she briefly looked at Eon and with a tired smile answered “are you sure boy? With a useless skill like that you wont last long”. She was correct Eon was not going to last much longer anyways so he nodded his head so Aldriel simply let out a sigh and handed him a G rank adventures card. It was made from wood and had Eon’s name engraved magically upon it. Aldriel had checked his status to know his name and skills which is why she had not asked before making the card.

In this world people with higher level than you could easily check others status, since Eon is only level 1 he cant check anyone’s status other than his own.

[ Eon age: 15]

[Race Human]

Level: 1

Title: Orphan

Skills: Creation Magic 1

Strength: 3, Magic: 1

Eon had been practicing creation magic for many years, but it was still stuck at level 1, his strength was 3 with was 1 point higher than a normal 15-year-old boy, the reason for this was that he had lived a hard life of manual labour to get by, so it had levelled up a few months ago to 3.

Eon took the guild card and put it in his back pocket and walked over towards the quest board to see if there was anything he could do. As he walked past the group of rough looking adventurers, they looked him up and down and then laughed. They had properly checked his status without asking him and had seen his creation magic and weak looking stats.

Ignoring them he started to read the requests written on pieces of scrap looking paper, most were goblin extermination quests for E rank adventurers or simple herb gathering quests that are available to G ranked adventurers like Eon. There was however one more option for quests which was open to all and it was an expedition into a new dungeon that had appeared near the city, it was going to leave tomorrow and was open to all ranks from G to A.

Eon decided to apply to join the expedition since the base pay was 1 silver coin for G ranked adventures and all he had to do was carry peoples supplies. This would give him enough money to stay at a cheap inn and 2 meals a day for a week so Eon went back to the receptionist desk and applied for the expedition.

Eon woke up bright and early in an alley near where the adventurers were meeting up for the expedition to the new dungeon. He did not have enough money to stay at an inn so had spent the night in an alley. He bought some hard stale bread for 1 copper coin on his way down the high street to the west gate of the city. He hadn’t seen many people on the way except for some merchants opening their stores for business but there were around 30 adventures all waiting near the west gate by the time he arrived.

“Your late newbie grab this” The leader of the expedition Clif was a large and tall man of around 2 meters with a large sword slung on his back. He was wearing an iron chest plate which had many dents and dirt on it showing its many years of use. He had huge muscles from years of training which allowed him to wield such a huge sword so easily. He was a B ranked adventurer and also a training instructor for the guild so he was well known in the city.

[Clif age: 35]

[Race Human]

Level: 51

Title: B rank adventurer, guild training instructor

Skills: Intermediate great-sword mastery 4, double slash 2

Strength: 34, Magic: 1

Eon caught the bag filled with food and water for the expedition and joined the rest of the adventures. The group consisted of 1 B rank warrior, 8 C rank warriors, 1 C ranked magician who used fire magic.

The other 20 members of the party were a mixture of D, E and F ranked adventures, all have skills like warrior or thief classes none are mages since people with magic based skills were usually employed by nobles or in the kingdoms army instead of being adventures.

Only mages with twisted personalities became adventures hence there was only a single C ranked mage on this expedition. Eon was the only G rank crazy enough to accept the mission since his chance of survival was small if the dungeon turned out to be high ranked then any monster in there would kill him in one hit, so no other G ranked adventures had taken the expedition mission.

Since the other adventures needed to be able to move their bodies they could not be dragged down by food and water, so they had the lowest ranked people carry them, so this was left to the F ranked adventures and Eon who is a G ranked.

Clif gave the order and the expedition set out towards the dungeon which was around a full day’s walk away. Before proceeding into the dungeon, they camped outside overnight to make sure they were at full strength before entering the unknown.

The inside of the dungeon was a large cave with water dripping from the ceilings there was dim light coming from a moss like substance that was covering the roof of the cave, the group moved further inside, the higher ranked adventurers including cliff were at the front of the group while low ranked like Eon were at the back protected by a few C ranked warriors. The cave was truly vast in size, a city could properly fit inside it.

Dungeons were separated spaces to the normal world so any environment could be re created inside the dungeon. The dungeons absorb mana to create monsters to defend itself from invaders such as this expedition force.

This dungeon is a goblin dungeon which would be of the low ranked kind so long as an existence such as a goblin king did not exist. After slaughtering hundreds of goblins, the group had made it further inside which is when the disaster happened.

A large earth dragon which should never be in a dungeon low ranked like this descended from the roof, Dragons could only be killed by a team of A ranked adventurers, but this group only contained a single B ranked. There was only a single option, death.

In a life of death situation humans often show their true selves. Everyone started running towards the exit of the dungeon dropping everything. The mage shot fire balls at his own team mates to try to get them to act as live bait for the dragon so he could get away. Clif was doing the same throwing his sword at a group of C ranked adventures behind him knocking them over.

Eon had no chance to escape through the exist so holding the bag of food he ran deeper into the cave. He could hear the sounds of battle and the cave shook from the dragon’s roar. Because of the intimidating aura not only was Eon running deeper into the cave but so were all the goblins.

They paid no mind to Eon who was running among them as every living creature tried to gain as much distance from the dragon as possible. Eon spotted out of the corner of his eye as wooden door in the cave wall and ran for it. He had no idea what would be inside but he needed to get away from the dragons gaze which could kill him with just a look.

He slammed his body into the wooden door with all his might It swung open with a loud bang and the sturdy wooden door crashed into the cave wall unleashing a cloud of dust. Eon coughed as he threw his body inside and kicked the door close behind him.

Hours passed before the screaming from beyond the door finally stopped. Eon was curled up under the desk inside the room shaking with fear of death. Nobody had managed to escape, and this would later be known as dragons nest, a dungeon that nobody would venture into anymore since a large sleeping dragon was guarding the entrance.

After a few days had past Eon crawled from under the desk with dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep. He looked around the room and saw a bookcase, a small bed and upon the desk he had been hiding under had a dagger upon it.

Eon spent the next month inside this room, he read the books which contained magic spells and other knowledge about monsters such as the goblins outside. He had learned a simple fire ball spell during this time.

However, Eon faced a terrible situation he had ran out of food and therefore needed to venture outside of the room, he did not know where the earth dragon had gone or if it was still there but in order to survive he needed to acquire food and water Eon grabbed the dagger from the desk and put it in his pocket.

He took a deep breath and slowly open the door to check the situation outside. On the far side of the cave where the exit was lay a huge earth dragon his eyes were closed as if sleeping and was curled up. He was at least 3 kilometres away so Eon felt that it would not notice his presence.

With a grumbling stomach he proceeded out and encountered a lone goblin.

[Goblin level 2, skills none, strength: 2 magic: 0]

Eon threw his fireball spell at the goblin attracting its attention, since it had no weapon and had lower strength than Eon at only 2 compared to 3 the goblin was easily defeated…

[LEVEL UP!]

[ Eon age: 15]

[Race Human]

Level: 2

Title: Orphan

Skills: Creation Magic 1, Fireball 1

Strength: 4, Magic: 2

The dragon hadn’t woken up so Eon grabbed the food and quickly ran back to the room. Eon drank the blood from the goblin and ate its flesh to satisfy his hunger. He used the fireball spell to scorch the flesh to attempt to cook it but it ended up just being burnt.

Eon decided that he would kill that dragon eventually and escape as he cried from how disgusting the burnt goblin meat tasted.

In low ranked dungeons people would age a little slower than if they were outside because of the mana in the air so some would use this slowed ageing to train their body and skills and would only leave to get more food and water.

However, this was actually a very high ranked dungeon considering that the dragon was the dungeon master. This means the mana concentration within this dungeon is hundreds of times higher than normal dungeons stopping the process of aging. So no matter how long the revenge was going to take neither him or the dragon would actually age, so Eon just had to take it one step at a time.

After a hundred years of living like a hermit only going out to kill goblins for food. He had learned all the skills stored inside the books in the room and had levelled up his dagger mastery a bit. Eon had also levelled up a lot but it had slowed down greatly recently since he would only gain 0.01% of his level for each goblin he killed.

[ Eon age: 115 (looks 15)]

[Race Human]

Level: 320

Title: Orphan, Goblin Slayer, Hermit

Skills: Creation Magic 4, Fireball 10, Water Sphere 10, High Heal 10, Advanced Alchemy 7

Strength: 60, Magic: 81

He had been using water Sphere to fill buckets with water that he made with his now level 4 creation magic to drink from and have baths in. Although he had levelled up to the highest level ever heard of from a human, he was still unable to check the dragon’s status so he still had a long way to go.

He had levelled up fireball while killing the goblins for the last 100 years. It could now shoot something of similar heat to the sun and as fast as a bullet. But Eon knew it would still be child’s play to the dragon.

Eon could create rare ranked weapons which would sell for a high price at an auction but were useless here. They were overkill for the goblins but would look like a toy sword in front of the dragon. The most important thing possible with level 4 creation magic was the ability to make simple foods such as a piece of meat or a cabbage. Eon knew he would need to get his creation magic up to level 9 or 10 before being able to make a weapon capable of harming that dragon.

After a few hundred thousand years had passed and the dragon finally died. Not from old age, nor from a direct attack from Eon but from radiation. A hundred years ago Eon had finally levelled up his creation magic to rank 9 and could start making radioactive elements.

[ Eon age: 380,041 (looks 15)]

[Race Human]

Level: 631

Title: Orphan, Goblin Slayer, Hermit

Skills: Creation Magic 9, Fireball 10, Water Sphere 10, High Heal 10, Expert Alchemy 9

Strength: 99, Magic: 99

Eon hadn’t known about radioactive elements beforehand but while using status check on the random minerals found in the cave he came across a silver metal called Uranium.

[Uranium – Rank Rare, releases radiation which harms life]

When Eon reached out to hold it he checked his status page and his health decreased by 1 every few minutes due to the damage from the radiation. He figured that if he put some of this near the earth dragon then it should die after a while.

He then created tonnes of uranium and dumped it inside the cave when doing this he had checked the dragon’s status and could finally see it as they were the same level of 631.

[ Arenaria age: 517,763]

[Race Earth Dragon]

Level: 631

Title: Ancient Dragon, owner of dungeon

Skills: Expert earth magic 9, Advanced physical resistance 6, Advanced magic resistance 2, Intermediate rock meteor 7, Intermediate stone wall 4

Strength: 84, Magic: 90

 

After leaving the radioactive elements lying around the cave he retreated and stayed inside his room. Eon had no reason to venture outside until the dragon was dead since he could create food and water as much as he liked with his creation magic. Eon was affected by the intense radiation as well but every time his health dropped too low he just cast high heal on himself to get back to full health. When Eon had looked at the dragons status he had noticed it had no way to recover its health so this was simply a battle of attrition.

After 100 long years the dragon had finally given into radiation poisoning and had died

[Title dragon slayer awarded]

[LEVEL UP! x369]

[Creation magic now level 10!]

[Eon has been granted a new race “God of creation”]

[All stats enhanced, new skills unlocked]

Eon shone in a bright white light, his hair which was down past his waste which was brown became a bright white colour, his jaw line sharpened up and his eyes went from being blue to a strong golden colour.

[ Eon age: 15 (+380,041)]

[God of creation]

Level: 1000

Title: Orphan, Goblin Slayer, Hermit, Dragon Slayer, God

Skills: Creation Magic 10, Fireball 10, Water Sphere 10, High Heal 10, Expert Alchemy 9, Expert time magic 10(new), Domain creation 10(new), Expert Space magic 10(new), Language 10(new)

Strength: ???, Magic: ???

Eon had become more beautiful then any human, he gave off the aura of a god which would cause anyone meeting him understand they are a lower existence to this man. Eon created a mirror in front of him and checked out his new looks. He was better looking than the elf receptionist that’s for sure.

Eon had finally completed his revenge on the earth dragon which had kept him locked in here for so long. Eon was now thinking what to do next while looking at his new skills.

Domain creation allows Eon to designate an area to become part of his domain and he had absolute control over the space. Using the skill Eon turned the entire cave into his domain. He purged all the goblins and stopped them from respawning ever again. Despite killing a 100 thousand goblins in an instant his level did not even increase by 0.001%.

Eon’s body was now that of a god and radiation no longer harmed him so he didn’t bother removing it and instead started clearing out the cave to make room for something he had wanted for a long time.

Eon had been living in the same small cave room for three hundred thousand years and was sick of living like that. Now that the threat of the earth dragon was gone, he could make a spectacular palace befitting a god that he had become.

Since Eon had become the dungeon owner after killing the earth dragon, he now could select a new place for the dungeon to appear. Not putting any thought into it he selected a random location called Earth...

10