Chapter 175
11.5k 9 192
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our return and the destruction of the mansion meant that Old Chalm was finally reclaimed. This also meant a great deal of celebration. I drank with all of the Adventuring buddies. Big sis cried and hugged me in her chest until all three of my girls started pinching me. It really hurt too! We broke into a jug that had been sitting in some basement and allowed to age for 20 years. It was quite good. After that, things got fuzzy for a while.

When the Guild Master and Mayor wanted to pull me aside for a bit, I cast refresh on myself so I could focus on business.

“Deek, I never would have believed a month ago that you would have teleported into the dungeon and then defeat it in that time. You are truly a dungeon diver of some skill. I don’t know where you came from, but you have deeply impressed me.” The Mayor bowed. “For everything you have done for Chalm, I’d like to recognize you as our Lord.”

“We’re sorry that the ladies escaped us. When you disappeared, they seemed to know you were in that dungeon, but we had no proof. We tried to watch after them, but the two girls were very determined to be by your side, whatever the cost.” The Guild Master sighed. “Until earlier today, I didn’t know if any of you were still alive. It left a heavy feeling on my heart.”

“Sorry to worry you guys, things sort of just happened.” I tried to laugh it off, even though I knew exactly how dangerous and reckless my actions had been.

“Do you still plan to free the girls?” The Guild Master asked.

“I… right now it seems I am unable to. Upon completing the dungeon, my blessing won’t allow me to release a slave!” I showed them the tattoo on my shoulder.

I went on to reveal that I had completed the lore, not destroyed it, both men were certainly surprised. However, thankfully they understood that this was information I didn’t want spread, and agreed to keep it quiet between us and my slaves of course.

I ended up giving the pair a quick and dirty version of the events, including the story about what happened to Karr. The Guild Master sat thoughtfully, nodding his head and listening carefully. The mayor occasionally gasped or offered his interpretations of things. When I was finally done, the group was silent for a bit.

“The town has spoken,” The mayor explained. “And agree that you need not be required to free your girls, so if you can’t I’d say we’ll just leave it at that.”

I thought about what Karr had said in that dungeon. Do they even want to be free?

“I will continue to look for a way to free them.” I grimaced. “I owe them the choice. But if they want to stay by my side, I won’t reject them. Tsk… what kind of blessing prevents you from releasing slaves!”

“The same kind that also keeps them from being taken forcefully?” The Guild Master offered. “I can’t say I understand much about dungeons and dungeon lore. You’re the first man I’ve ever seen who has completed and combined with the lore of a dungeon. More-so, you’ve done it twice now. Once is a fluke, but twice… you really are something.”

“It was just two flukes…” I sighed. “If I had never met Celeste, there was no way I could have completed the lore. It was the similarities between Karr and me that allowed me to help them reach their end.”

I decided not to explain combination skills to them. Well, I only had a pinch of fairy dust left, basically what didn’t fall out of the bottle. Once that was used up, I wouldn’t be able to obtain more.

“Well, in the end, I think you did well, my boy.” The guild master nodded.

“The thing I want to know is…what’s the deal with my mansion!” I demand.

The two men turned green for a second.

“Ah… that…” The Mayor blushed. “Well, I mean… the deed is yours…”

“You…”

“Relax.” The Guild Master laughed. “We’re going to rebuild it. Everyone in town owes you. You didn’t want a rusty old mansion anyway. We’ll build you something new. You can even have some input into it if you want. A garden, a pool, a bathhouse? Just say what you want, and we’ll definitely do our best to build it.”

“Ah… that makes me feel more relaxed… but that will still be months before we have a place to stay. I was hoping to move into something a little more permanent.”

“Actually, this works out perfectly!” The Mayor forms a grin much like a cat. “Because we have another mission for you, and the new one will take a couple months!”

I let out a sigh. Why am I not surprised?

192