Chapter 198
9.5k 2 161
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The innkeeper remained in his inn, but many of the guests were adventurers like me. They took off to see if they could do anything to help prepare the town for this siege. One guy stayed behind to take me to visit Carmine. I just explained that I was a healer too so that if we were both going to heal, I needed to coordinate with her so it was more efficient. For the most part, everyone accepted that as a valid reason. It certainly had nothing to do with me being a bit curious.

As it turned out, the location that Carmine was at was the village orphanage of all places. For some reason, I was imagining a sexy Mother Theresa considering how this girl seemed to like to spend her time. As we reached the orphanage, there was a man there at the door flailing his arms as he spoke excitedly. He was talking to someone who was inside the house, but I couldn’t see them at all. As we approached, I could pick up some of the words he was saying.

“Are you mad? We couldn’t possibly… besides… it’s only a legend. No one really knows what is down there.”

“We have guests, Mayor.” A gentle and smooth voice came from the doorway.

Only then did the Mayor turn his head and realize we were there. He let out a noise of surprise as he turned to see the five of us right behind him. The one who brought us there smiled awkwardly.

“Ah… Mayor, you’re here as well. These strangers are willing to help the city stand during this upcoming siege by the Bandit King. This man’s a healer like Carmine, so I thought they should both meet.”

A woman stepped out onto the porch. She was tall and had a small pair of glasses on her angelic-like face. She actually really was pretty, and a subtle atmosphere about her made her feel very approachable. I actually recognized it. She must have a charm up status or two. Perhaps she was a hero? No… she should only have one job, and that should be White Mage.

“Welcome to the orphanage. I am truly sorry you were in the city when this all happened. I fear this really is all my fault!” The girl curtsied low, dipping her head until I just got a hint of cleavage.

I’d almost swear it was calculated, but before I could dwell on it the Mayor tried to stop her from curtsying. “Now, now… I said you need not apologize to everyone, especially these strangers. Who are you anyway? A slaveholder, I see? Perhaps some adventurer looking to claim the title of a hero? Well, I’m sorry, our dungeon has been closed for years.”

The man who brought us looked flustered like he was embarrassed by the Mayor’s attitude.  This mayor held himself in a way that reminded me of Chalm’s mayor… but he also held a tinge of haughtiness, like he was owed everything in life that he had.

“Mayor… you should be nicer when guests offer their assistance,” Carmine softly chastised.

“Of course…” The man immediately bowed his head. “I apologize. I am busy now, though… so I’ll be off.”

It was clear he only conceded because of some strange dedication to Carmine, and he really didn’t like me at all. She had only been in this village a year, but he was infatuated with her. Meanwhile, I was being treated like chopped liver. The discrepancy was really unfair.

Carmine blushed. “Do you want to come in, then? You’re staring!”

I wasn’t staring at her! I was lost in thought. Ladies behind me, stop trying to put a hole in my back using only your glares. It seriously stings!

161