Chapter 226
9k 8 146
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as the light cleared, we heard screaming and yells. We appeared just outside the gate, which was inside a building. That building was currently on fire. Smoke instantly stung my eyes and heat blasted my face. Shit, I hadn’t thought of that. Before I could think of what to do, Celeste’s voice carried through the ashy basement.

“Wind Shield!” Celeste called out.

A rush of wind blew away the smoke and flames. Instantly, my sight was clear. I could see flames on every side of us. The stairway leading out was also collapsed. Of all the possibilities, I didn’t suspect that we’d be trapped with the entrance to the dungeon. The heat was already returning, and the air was limited within this firestorm. Simply put, in a few moments, we’d all collapse if we didn’t do something immediately. I could create water, but stopping the fire with water while in the middle of it was too dangerous.

Once again, it was one of the girls who reacted first. Terra stepped forward and pushed toward a dirt wall that wasn’t in flames. Immediately, the earth began to spread and a path formed. As she moved forward into this new path, I ushered the girls to follow her. Anywhere was better than remaining in this burning building.

She basically created a tunnel heading up and out the side of the building. The path wasn’t long, and it only took a minute to finish the path, but with the flames growing behind me, it felt like an eternity. Finally, she broke surface and the girls piled out into the outdoors. As soon as the pathway to the outside was complete, the cries and yelling grew considerably sharper. I helped all of the girls make it through the path before climbing out myself. It was hot enough that I seriously thought my clothing might catch. I fell down onto the cool grass and let out a cry of relief. Just ten feet away was the burning capital building.

From a quick glance, the entire city looked to be burning. As for the bandits they were running around along with the citizens. It didn’t look like the bandits were particularly concerned about the citizens. They were all packing up and desperately fleeing. It was clear that the city was lost.

A distant roar caused me to look up into the sky. It was daybreak now, so there was just enough light that I could make out a creature flying in the distance. It was too far to see clearly, but I was certain it was the clockwork dragon. It was flying away.

As the girls worked their way back to their feet, we heard some shouts and suddenly a bunch of bandits formed up around us.

“It’s them!”

“The ones with Carmine!”

Innumerable arrows and magical spells were aimed in my direction. There were at least thirty surrounding us by the time everyone had their footing. Stepping out from a building that wasn’t on fire was the Bandit King. His armor looked like it had received some significant damage during a battle. He must have fought the clockwork dragon before she had fled. He took several steps toward me.

“Stay right there…” His voice called out. “We have you surrounded!”

I sneered. “Girls, hold on, we’re leaving.”

Lydia and Miki were used to this kind of thing and didn’t hesitate to grab on to me. They helped Celeste and Terra to do the same.

“Ret-“

“Please!” The Bandit King pulled off their helmet, revealing a beautiful woman with long blonde hair. “Please… help me save my sister!”

146