Chapter 228
9.3k 10 142
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'd like to say that this story was completely isolated, but it had some resonance with me. The priests had come and saved the day for the people of Chalm too. In fact, Aberis wouldn’t have their loyalty if it hadn’t been for the church stepping in and stopping the spread of the ghosts. Those same ghosts would never have spread out had Lord Karr not been mysteriously murdered, and a book revealing his darkest sins laid bare in front of Astria.

Was that another example? I had never even met someone from the church outside of Carmine. While she did betray me, there were crueler things she could have done. I had no particular beef with the church. In fact, I didn’t know the church at all. I didn’t know how big they were, who they worshipped, or really anything about them. Thus, even putting these events together, the most I could conjure emotionally was to say “That’s interesting.”

If the church really was stirring up trouble only to come in and be the heroes, that was really none of my business. My goal was to just keep Chalm and my girls safe. I was in this world now. I had money, power, and friends. What more did I need? I didn’t need some kind of vendetta against the church. That said, I had made a promise to Terra that we would finish this mechanical monster. I was also curious about this so-called brainwashing. What the Bandit King calls brainwashing, another might just call being raised in another lifestyle.

If the church was good to her, Carmine wouldn’t see any reason to doubt them. However, if we can free her from the dragon’s control, then I was curious if she’d still be able to hold on to that rhetoric. It would be nice if Carmine could be made to see how the church used her, assuming that the Bandit King was speaking honestly and not filling my head up with lies. If I helped destroy a dragon, I don’t think the church would see it as me going against them.

After all, I’m petitioning to be a lord of Aberis and part of that I was told by the mayor to make a rather large donation to the church. In other words, if I defeated the dragon now, to them, it’d look like just an unexpected accident. They might notice my presence more, but that might not be a bad thing. I was okay playing ball. All governments are corrupt, but you still pay taxes. I have no ambitions to battle the church to the death. This particular event is a one-time occurrence because circumstances made things personal.

After that, I’d bow and scrap for the church just like everyone else. It was better than being a rebel or an outcast. Therefore, my mind was settled. I’d help the Bandit King for personal reasons. However, if she wished to continue this war against the church beyond that, she was on her own. Looking down the path I had seen the dragon disappear off to, I considered what the next course of action would be.

“If she’s already heading back to the church, I don’t think there is anything we can do.” I realized out loud.

Salicia shook her head. “I already said, the dragon is controlling her mind. They aren’t heading for the Capitol. Actually, they’re heading to a nearby mountain range, to create a lair. After that, they’ll start pillaging the countryside to build a horde of wealth. This is only a mechanical dragon, but the church used a real dragon’s soul when making it.”

“And what do you need from me?” I asked.

“Your party is strong. You were able to hold the dragon off for the length of time it took for her to take control of it. I need you to do that again, but this time, I’ll be severing her bond!”

“What happens after it is severed?

“I only care about my sister. What the dragon does is none of my concern. The church can deal with a beserking dragon.” She glanced at me and snorted. “What? I am a Bandit King, what do I care about stopping a dragon. If you want to… be my guest.”

I glanced over at Terra. “It’ll be in a cave. Right?”

Terra looked up at me, her eyes slightly fearful but growing in confidence. “Mm!”

“Then, we’ll try our best to kill it, and if push comes to shove, will just bury it in the cave, for good this time!”

Terra’s eyes flashed with determination. “Yes, Master!”

142