Chapter 284
7k 7 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the map ability, finding any place in the city became a cinch. I quickly navigated us to the Slave Guild. Handling slavery for the entire country of Aberis, The Slave Guild was naturally a very large place. It had to house likely hundreds of slaves at a time, and there were numerous laws set up to protect slaves. Even though Aberis accepted slavery, it wasn’t so bad that anyone off the street could be grabbed and made a slave.

All slaves were a result of either being criminals, owing money, volunteering, or being born into it. Those were the only conditions in which someone could be considered a slave. Lydia was born into the slave trade, while Miki volunteered for it. Although, I could see how volunteering was a slippery slope. It was easy to coerce someone into slavery. Supposedly, the slave traders assured that someone was put into slavery in sound mind and body and openly volunteered for it, but there were situations like with Celeste or Terra where that wasn’t so simple.

In fact, I did have a worry when it came to these girls because neither was turned into a slave legitimately. Although Terra’s status is probably more like a pet, I’d rather she be acknowledged like the human soul and appearance that she possesses. When it comes to Celeste, she too is more closely associated with monsters than humans. This is why fairies could be forcefully enslaved, although I heard the laws had changed and magical creatures could no longer be forced into slavery.

We ended up having to walk up a lot of steps and there were large columns that reminded me of Romanesque architecture.  I eventually made it to the top and I was surprised that I wasn’t out of breath. The main courtyard was under the canopy, but it was completely open. There were several slave auctions going on. The slaves were placed in carts, not unlike the ones I saw Figuro using. We continued on a few steps before I realized that this might be traumatic for the girls.

“Are you girls okay? You don’t have to enter if you don’t want to.” I turned back to them.

Miki shook her head. “I was never a slave for long. I was only ever familiar with Figuro and he was always kind to me, so this kind of thing doesn’t bother me.

When Celeste and Terra, who had never been on a slave block, also shook their heads, my eyes naturally fell on Lydia. Of the girls, she wore the most uncomfortable looking coming into the slave block. Unlike the others, she had been a slave her entire life and had to deal with all manner of slaveholders. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lydia herself had been in this very courtyard at some point during her life. This might even be where Lord Tibult would have purchased her.

Lydia slowly shook her head. “It is alright, Master. I will stay by your side. Although this place brings back some unpleasant memories, it was those memories that ultimately led me to Master, so I am happy I am here.”

She gave me a reassuring smile which made my heart melt after that. After we were done here, I’d buy the girls ice cream. Did icecream exist in this world? I wasn’t sure. First, I’d make sure this world had ice cream, then, I’d get the girls some. Hmmm… I might need to invent ice cream.

98