Chapter 429
5.2k 6 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Power leveling, or the term I started to use for when we summoned a large horde of enemies to fight at once, was the quickest way to level. Unfortunately, it was a catch-22. It was the fastest way to level, but it also usually meant we had to equip our best jobs if we wanted to survive. I was developing a plan to get around that.

The 14th level contained golems, not unlike the ones we had challenged as the level 5 miniboss. They weren’t quite as large, but what they lacked in stature, they made up for in number. Actually, given the freak occurrence on level 5, they were probably not that much different. That was the terrifying part of all this. In the end, we had lost and had to run from the miniboss horde. We had only survived by bringing down the entire mine to crush them.

At this point, we wouldn’t be able to replicate those results. Instead, we’d have to use the map and our smarts so that we don’t get overwhelmed. They were clearly designed to be exhausting. After defeating the siren, being tempted by treasure, becoming soaked, and then frozen, you then had to fight your way through a deadly horde of slow, aggravating enemies designed to make you waste whatever energy you had left before reaching level 15 and hoping you get to the safe zone before the miniboss finds you. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this was a really insidious dungeon.

However, they were slow, and we had experience fighting their mini-boss brothers. They came in two types, a shield type which just tried to block you and force you back, and a spear type which tried to impale you. Four or five of them grouped together and coming at you was about as hard as it could get, and it was exactly the test I was planning on putting all of us through. The girls understood my decision though.

We were pressed for time, and we needed to get stronger. It was better to fight what we could handle now, rather than become overwhelmed and risk our lives later. Besides, we still had the ability to escape with a portal, so there was no issue.

“Are you sure about this, Master?” Shao asked as she helped me fill up water skins.

“It’s the best way,” I responded, filling up everything I could find with Water of Life.

I used a bunch of the fairy dust to make enough for everyone in the party. I was going to drop White Mage for this one, so the girls needed to depend on water to keep themselves healed.

If there really was an emergency, it only takes a few seconds to switch back to White Mage, but seconds can be life and death in a battle like this. As for my jobs, Slave Master, Monster Tamer, and True Hero. Although True Hero sounded powerful, I have never equipped it up until this point. The first skill it gave me was something called Danger Sense. The hope was that the levels I gained would make it worth it.

After using their abilities to set up traps whenever possible, the girls were similarly nerfed. For Lydia, I switched to Thief for her second job. Miki was switched to Alchemist. Celeste kept Magic Singer, Terra had Mineral Appraiser, and Shao had Pugilist.

“Alright, everyone ready?” I asked.

The girls all nodded in turn.

“Let’s do it!”

I released the monster lure, and the rumbling sound began.

88