Chapter 490
4.6k 3 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After sending the men on their way with strict orders, the rest of us went to sleep. Had I not planned to take Faeyna the next day, I might have made more of an effort to spend some time with her. However, after being stimulated at the Church, I felt sorry for Terra and decided to give her all the attention she needed.

The next morning, after Faeyna brought me breakfast, I expressed interest in bringing her to my mansion in Chalm. It was about twice the size of this one and the location of my Return skill. So, I would be making more visits there than here. The place was already becoming dusty and messy without anyone to maintain it.

“I thought that is what Master would want. Since I’ve already created an account with the bank of Aberis, I have arranged to have guards at your gate and a cleaner to arrive once a week.”

It turned out Faeyna had already made preparations for an extended absence a while ago. This was good, as I also sent Carmine and Salicia away. The mansion would be completely abandoned. These services were probably more expensive than just having slaves, but they required less oversight too. I wouldn’t have to worry about a companion suddenly running away, or needing to be cared for. It was probably the best situation for my home away from home.

With that, she brought out a cart that was much larger than the one she had obtained in Dirage. It was also filled with supplies she had deemed valuable for the cost.

The prince had responded to the letter I sent. Apparently, lords in Aberis could fight each other without the entire country falling into chaos. The royal family could put a stop to this infighting if needed, but they generally looked the other way. He warned me to be careful with Lord Reign, but that he would unofficially take my side if things came to internal struggle. That didn’t mean much on the surface, but if I did wipe Lord Reign out, it would mean he would keep me from experiencing a backlash.

I was a little depressed, having thought he would send Knights and soldiers and such. However, he made it clear that without undeniable proof that he was working for the Imperial Cloud Meadow, the royal family couldn’t make a move. He had enough allies in Aberis that such an action may lead to a civil war. As long as it remained a local conflict between two lords, however, then things could remain small-scale.

In short, the city of Chalm and I would have to resolve this conflict by ourselves. That’s not to say the rewards wouldn’t be good once we succeeded, but that was the way of this world. People didn’t just hand you things for nothing. Things had to be earned. It would be pointless if everything I had accomplished was handed to me by the prince. Even Tibult understood that he couldn’t depend on his family to make himself a name.

With that thought, we headed to the Traveler’s Guild, where the Blue Mage was waiting to take us to Kingsport. It was just one more step on my journey. I had a long way to go.

94