Chapter 55
23.4k 7 310
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“None of this matters. You made me the hero!” Tibult snorted.

“You cannot be made a hero while our town already contains a hero.” The Guild Master explained. “And if he also defeated the dungeon, he fulfilled the requirements you yourself set. I think you should understand our town has a reputation, and if we were known for throwing people under the bus, especially a dungeon diver, then we would create many enemies.”

“You…” Tibult wanted to argue, but he couldn’t find the words.

“Deek, if this is true, you should have the Dungeon Diver job now.” The Guild Master explained, pulling out a stone. “It becomes set when you gain it. It’s one of the few jobs that isn’t level dependent. After destroying the dungeon, you should get the job. I mean no offense, but can you hold this stone and show us the job.”

Seriously? Well, the game is called My Dungeon Life. Dungeon diving is what this game wants you to do. Therefore, auto-setting Dungeon Diver seems like something reasonable. I could also see what made dungeon diving so popular. Not only was it lucrative, but it was a way to change your fate. For example, if you were labelled with a high level in Thief, one of the few ways you could change your job would be dungeon diving. It was like the default skill of this world.

There was just one problem. I didn’t destroy the lore, I finished it. There was a hidden tattoo around my leg that displayed that fact. That means I didn’t have the Dungeon Diver job, but True Dungeon Diver. Did I really want to confess that I did something extraordinary? It felt like it would cause me more trouble than it was worth. Maybe, I’d inform the Guild Master, but definitely not in front of Tibult.

However, I had no choice. If I didn’t equip it, I’d be called a liar. I unequipped my second job and just equipped True Dungeon Diver. A text popped up in my vision.

{Dungeon Status Up has been unlocked.}

{You have shown great experience in navigating dungeons. You have unlocked the job: Dungeon Diver.}

Oh! What luck! I had forgotten to equip it earlier, and apparently just equipping it was enough evidence that I could have the lesser ability. It was sort of like learning Advanced Magic before Basic Magic, at least that’s what I reasoned in my mind. I quickly equipped Dungeon Diver, only to see that I didn’t unlock any additional skill. It looked like level 1 of both of them was probably Dungeon Status Up. That meant an increase in status while I was in a dungeon.

I took the stone, and it began to glow. A moment later, the name Dungeon Diver was displayed and I breathed easier. As for the Guild Master, he shook his head in disbelief. There was a rumbling sound coming from the Guild Hall too. People were listening in and watching from inside, it seemed.

As if on cue, the men that the Guild Master had sent also returned. “He speaks the truth; the dungeon is sealed and has started to break apart. The curse on the land has been lifted!”

The Guild Master burst out laughing, a bit of relief on his face. “You, my boy, you’re far more impressive than I would have guessed. A certified Dungeon Diver as our hero, I knew my instincts were good.”

“Hey! This is outrageous!” The noble cursed.

“I’m sorry, but I think I speak for the entire town when I say we have settled on our hero.” The Guild Master gave Tibult a bow with respect he really didn’t deserve.

“You bastard… since you don’t need to hire someone to defeat the dungeon, then I demand my money back!” Tibult snapped.

“Ah… as to that? Didn’t you say that this was all given in charity?”

“You dare?”

“That money belongs to our new hero. Don’t you think? He is a Dungeon Diver who defeated the dungeon. It seems to me like the conditions for the reward money have already been met!”

Tibult’s eyes narrowed. “You and your town are on my list! Don’t think I will suffer this humiliation!”

“Are you threatening me?” The Guild Master suddenly looked a bit dangerous.

There was the shuffling of chairs in the Guild Hall too, as several other adventurers stood up. The silence seemed to permeate the air.

Tibult snorted. “Fine, we leave in peace. I’ll be going.”

“Take this slaver with you.” The Guild Master shot a look at the tall man standing nearby who could only reply with a helpless shrug.

“Lydia, Reg, come…” The noble ordered and turned away.

Between the Guild Master and the noble, I hadn’t been able to get a single word in edgewise. Now, they were already leaving with Lydia in tow. I felt like crying.

“Wait!” I called out, causing the Guild Master to look up in surprise.

“Lydia… I want to buy Lydia!” I declared.

Lydia spun around, and the sadness in her eyes turned into a delight for a brief moment. As for Tibult, he turned and stared daggers at the pair of us. The Guild Master had already put him in the worst mood imaginable. This was going to be tricky.

310