Chapter 623
3.3k 2 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What is going on?” I asked as the boy who spoke looked between me and the bored-looking Grand Master.

“We came from our village! We had no choice. We were sent to the closest city to beg for aid. The bandits have been ravishing the countryside!”

“Obviously…” the Grand Master snorted.

“No, I mean, there are villages being attacked left and right. Those that aren’t surrounding Regency have been burning farms and towns every night. Surely, you’ve noticed the burning lights and the smoke!”

I hadn’t been here more than a day, so I hadn’t noticed such a thing.

“I thought Regency was the last standing city in the southwest.” I frowned.

He looked on helplessly. “City, maybe, but there are still dozens of small villages that have managed to hold out. They like to use the villages as places to relax. They torture the residents, eat everything, steal what they want, molest the women. They kill anyone who doesn’t please them and shoot down anyone who flees. Our village has been suppressed for the last two weeks. Our people are running out of supplies. My father, the mayor, watched their movements for two weeks until he found a way to slip us through!”

“That’s awful!” Siti cried tearfully.

“We’re not helping.” The Grand Master snorted.

“M-m-master!” Siti turned to him with a shocked look.

“We saw you from the wall of Regency and my Siti here is a softy. That’s the only reason I saved you. My focus is on Regency. I will continue to protect that city.”

“Why?” I asked. “What is in Regency?”

“Hmph! That’s for me to know, and you to bugger off!”

The Mage who was initially shooting him looks of reverence looked lost and confused now that the man was showing his true colors. He may be powerful, but he wasn’t a hero. He was in Regency for a reason. I had already guessed as much the first time I saw him. Why else would a man of his prestige remain in a town under siege? He was definitely looking for something. In fact, it felt eerily similar to what happened in Penbrook. Carmine was trying to find the guardian, while an army for bandits tried to break into the city to capture her. Of course, I had asked, and no one was aware of any dungeon in Regency. If it existed, it was well hidden.

With the Grand Master’s words lingering in the air, the young boy and girl turned to look at me, pleading looks on their faces.

“I take it you plan to continue to protect Regency until you find whatever you’re looking for?” I asked the Grand Mage.

“I will be in the city for the foreseeable future.” He responded, shooting me a disinterested look.

“Then, I have no problem helping out.” I told the two. “That’s part of why I came here. I’d like to save as many people as possible.”

The Mage still looked suspicious, but the young couple started to thank me profusely. I felt awkward, considering I hadn’t even done anything to really help them yet. Plus, this wasn’t a sudden decision on my part. Had I known the villages were there, I would have started with them, anyway. The Adventuring Guild and Aberis had apparently already left them for lost. However, the bandits had been seemingly concentrating on the strongholds and using the villages to relieve stress.

“Let’s return to Regency and get to safety. Then, we can talk about how we can help save your villages.” I said.

“I’m sorry, my lord!” Siti curtsied. “I cannot cast another Portal for a bit.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.” I opened a Portal.

When I started the chant, Siti looked extremely startled. Afterward, she gave me a more considering look. The Grand Master didn’t seem to care one way or another. The Mage’s suspicious looks had been blown away though, and the other two talked excitedly. I may not be able to make rings of dragon fire, but I could still surprise people every once in a while.

75