Chapter 661
2.9k 1 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mission turned out to be a complete success. They sent out people and cleared our horse of the alcohol. The Bandits were happy to push everyone to drink heavily. Even the guards ended up with a bottle in their hand. I juggled my dungeon points and thus was immune to the alcoholic effects. I wouldn’t make the mistake come morning by removing my Poison Immunity, so all I had to do the rest of the night was act as drunk as everyone else.

I thought that this interruption would have made the money guys angry, but one of them ended up taking me aside as the night fell and the number of drunks increased.

“The names Grutch! You saved our asses there. Lord Reign has impeccable timing.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, those Bandits were trying to up their fees again. I’m not some Knight, and I don’t feel like having my throat cut so that Lord Reign can play his political games. Not that I’d speak ill of our employer! I’m just saying, my cut isn’t enough to deal with these cutthroats, but a well-placed drink and come morning they won’t even remember why they came. Well played. Give Lord Reign my compliments.”

“Yes, but don’t mention it to him directly, considering who he’s gifting this to…” I tried to cover myself over the overenthusiastic moneyman.

“O-of course! I know how to keep my mouth shut! I saw nothing!” With that, he grabbed and downed his cup of wine. “Now if you excuse me, I see another bottle with my name on it.”

No sooner had the moneyman left than a man threw his arm around me in a half hug with his other hand clenching a bottle. “Dede! This is all thanks to you, man!”

It was the leader who had previously started this whole thing in the first place and even invited me to join the Bandits.

“Ah, but Lord Reign…” I tried to deflect his overexuberance.

“Lord Reign!” He made a bitter face and shook his head. “That guy is a blowhard!”

“True…”

He blinked, and then let out a laugh. “You’re alright. So, how about it, you join my band?”

“What about my slaves?”

“Bring them! The more, the merrier! Ah, it’s not like we’ll ask you to share them or anything. I wouldn’t give you my sword or my armor, so I wouldn’t expect you to give me your women. It’s every man for himself, that’s what I always say!”

“But… I heard that all the bandits are forming together in the southwest? What is that about?”

“That Bandit King!” He hissed.

I raised an eyebrow. “You don’t work for him?”

“No!” he shook his head vehemently. “Well, yes, sort of. My band has been tasked for being the convoy between Lord Reign and that Bandit King. Like you, we’re just the messengers. We deliver messages and we pick up and deliver the money. That King is also a bastard, always counts every coin, and holds us accountable for anything missing! We’re not even allowed to rob in the area! Alerith is the richest region thanks to their Northern backers, and we aren’t allowed to pillage a single house! Meanwhile, the Bandit King tries to be some kind of ruler.”

“You sound like you’re not happy about it.”

“I’m a bandit, damn it! I got into this for the money! I don’t want to conquer a country! Drink, money, a little bit of danger… that’s all I ever wanted! Ever since Bandit King Salicia went away, it’s just been shit.

“You’re one of Salicia’s men?”

“You’ve heard of her? Well, who in the west hasn’t!” he laughed. “She was a crazy woman too, but she was a crazy woman with class. At least, we always got some of the wealth when she was King!”

“Sleep.”

“Uh…” He suddenly keeled over.

I shot a look back. “Wh-what are you doing?”

“Eh? Wasn’t I putting everyone asleep while they were distracted?” Miki asked.

“Y-you…” I looked behind her where she was gesturing, and there were bodies scattered everywhere.

While I had been chatting with Grutch, Miki had gone forward with the plan and neutralized the entire mansion!

63