Chapter 749
2.1k 3 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m not sure I understand what you mean?” I asked, looking at the slightly irritated Xin.

“You wouldn’t understand.” Xin snorted. “Only a True Dungeon Diver can understand dungeons.”

“You’re a Dungeon Diver?” I said in surprise.

“A True Dungeon Diver!” She turned and pulled up the back of her shirt, revealing a tattoo just above her buttocks. “This is a dungeon blessing. Only someone who had defeated a dungeon can gain this.”

I had to admit I was impressed. I hadn’t known that she had done anything like that. Even Elaya had never defeated a dungeon, although I suppose one could say she was a Dungeon Master, which was impressive in its own right.

“To get one of these, one must complete the lore of a dungeon,” Xin explained. “To achieve this, I had to change the narrative, slowly edging this story to reach a suitable end. You must trick a dungeon into thinking it got what it wanted. I had this dungeon almost fooled, but then you lot appeared and now the dungeon is reacting violently. That must be part of the reason that it has infected you with karma and integrated you in the story.”

I frowned as she explained stuff I already knew a thing or two about, but since I had no tattoos on my body, even if I did tell her the truth, she probably wouldn’t believe me. Still, something about what she was saying irked me a bit.

“Isn’t the best way to complete a dungeon lore to satisfy the conditions laid out in the mural?” I asked.

“The dungeon is a curse on this land. You must never give the dungeon what it wants.” She responded.

“…” I didn’t know how to respond to that.

Had I been doing this incorrectly all along, or was she the confused one? I wondered how she’d react if she learned that Elaya was a dungeon boss. What if she knew I was a Dungeon Master? Would that make me her enemy? Well, those were just thoughts I was having. I was certainly not going to tell her any of that and risk my life.

“What was the point of the trials?” I asked.

She blushed at that. “It was a distraction. It was to slow anyone, like the Demon Aberis, down, as well as keep anyone else who entered this dungeon out of my way for a while.”

I nodded slowly. It made sense to me. Each one of those trials could take hours or days, and would severely hamper anyone’s conquering of the dungeon. Of course, then, as well as a physical obstacle, there was also the awards.

“What about the awards?” I asked curiously.

She snorted. “I’ve been in this dungeon for twenty years, I’ve acquired a mass of treasure many times. They’re nothing more than useless trinkets.”

As expected of a Hero, items I valued to the point I considered wasting weeks to gather were just trinkets to her. Well, one of her trinkets freed me from the spell the demon Aberis had cast on me, so I wouldn’t underestimate them even now.

“The trials don’t mean anything anymore.” Xin waved her hand dismissively.

“Why is that?” I asked.

“Didn’t you notice when your friend was taken by that man masquerading as the prince?”

“You saw that?”

“I can see from quite a distance using Far Sight, but I wasn’t close enough to stop what happened.” She responded. “The point is, the dungeon has decided on him as the champion. It’s desperate to complete its lore, and it looks like it’s going to use him and your princess to achieve it!”

47