Chapter 41 – Hunted
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

["Hunted"]

{Location: Fields outside of Washington, DC}
{Time: 22:45}

Leonev: Is everyone OK?

Gideon: Yes we are fine. The tractor in this barn however...not so good.

Leonev: Pack up whatever seems useful and let’s move. They will be here soon.

Iren: Well the thruster packs are out of fuel, the rifles are out of ammo.

Leonev: Gideon. Where are we located?

Gideon: If my U.S. geography is still up to date, then we should be somewhere around West Virginia and if we keep going that way we will reach Ohio or something.

Kayle: I suggest changing clothes, start heading straight and if we are lucky we will find somewhere to rest before either exhaustion or hunger kills us.

"While traversing the countryside they came atop a dinner next to the highway"

Gideon: If only we had some cash right now.

Kayle: Well. I can fix that for you.

"He pointed at an ATM in the parking lot of the dinner. He then proceeded to pull from his backpack a small military-grade laptop he picked from the gunship"

Gideon: Well. We just became robbers.

Kayle: Go and draw their attention or something. This won’t take long.

"Literally one minute later..."

Waitress: Welcome to Henry’s. Please take a seat and I will be with you shortly.

"It was a typical American dinner but at this time of the day they were the only customers. The waitress was a brown-haired Caucasian woman at her early 20’s. Her tag had “Jenny” written on it. She brought her notepad and a pen"

Jenny: What can I get you?

Leonev: Lot’s of coffee and something to eat. Not anything crazy.

Jenny: Well I can prepare you some sandwiches with bacon and cheese.

Leonev: That would be sufficient. Thank you Jenny.

"She smiled to him and she left for the kitchen. Kayle entered and proceeded to sit next to his squad mates"

Gideon: So?

"Kayle pulled around 2.000 dollars from his pocket"

Gideon: Couldn’t get more?

Iren: For fuck’s sake. We are not thieves.

Gideon: No. Just robbers.

"Gideon started laughing as Iren stared at him"

Gideon: Yea, yea. I’m kidding. Don’t put me up for a report, lieutenant.

Jenny: There we go. Oh. I didn’t know that you were expecting company. Let me you bring an extra cup.

Iren: Is this girl going to be around us the whole time? I don’t trust her.

Kayle: It’s her job. Calm down. You remind of Spymaster Galahad.

"Iren then started smiling"

Iren: Yea. What a guy...

Jenny: Here's your cup and here's some more coffee. Excuse me. Can I ask you a question miss…?

Iren: I am not a miss. We could easily be sisters. Call me Maria. And yes. You can ask me anything.

Jenny: Well… You know… I am kind of nervous asking…

Iren: Don’t be afraid Jenny. You want me to send the boys away?

Jenny: No it’s fine. Maybe they can help. It’s just that… My boyfriend and I are about to have our one year anniversary and we thought that it was about time to move it a bit forward if you know what I mean. And I am nervous about it because I haven’t done it before.

"Leonev almost choked with his coffee, Gideon started laughing loudly and Kayle just smiled a bit"

Iren: Immature assholes. Ok listen…

"Suddenly one young police officer entered the building"

Jenny: This is him. Give me a minute ok?

Iren: Wow. You really helped her confidence.

Gideon: It was so sudden. I couldn’t contain myself. Plus he looks like a little fuckboy. He isn’t for her.

Leonev: Since when did you become an expert in relationships? You have the same chance of seducing an actual female as a rock.

Gideon: Well. Your sister loved this hard rock.

Kayle: Daaamn.

Leonev: Okay, can we focus? We need to come up with a plan.

Gideon: Wait a second. Why is our new friend crying?

"Iren turned around to see the girl crying and the boy trying to get her attention"

Jenny: GET AWAY FROM ME!

"Iren stood up"

Gideon: Where are you going? Sit down.

"She approached the man"

Iren: What did you do you son of a bitch?

Man: Who the fuck are you…

"Iren grabbed his hand twisting it and smashing his head on the counter"

Man: You stupid bitch. I will lock you in the darkest cell and throw the key away!

"She, then, snapped the arm. Breaking it"

Man: MY ARM. AHHH!

"At that time, a few more officers that were outside proceeded to go in. Leonev noticed them"

Leonev: Shit. I think it’s time to leave.

"The cops opened the door and walked inside"

Officer: Hey James. What took you so lo…

Kayle: This is where the fun begins.

"The officers tried to grab their pistols. Gideon threw a chair at the one of them and turned at the waitress"

Jenny: Eh… The back door. Hurry!

"Kayle dropped a 50 dollar on the counter"

Leonev: Sorry for the trouble.

"As they exited the building they could see an old warehouse a few meters away. As they entered they closed the doors and hid in the dark, waiting. Police sirens and helicopters could be heard"

Leonev: We will stay here for the night. I will take the first shift.

Kayle: No I will do it. Take some sleep. You earned it. Plus I feel that I won’t be able to sleep for at least 2 days. I’m anxious as fuck.

"He found a metal ladder that led him to the roof of the warehouse where decided to spent the rest of the night. An hour later he heard someone else climbing"

Iren: You like to live dangerously you know that? One patrol sweep and we are done for.

Kayle: I have this. Can’t get any sleep?

Iren: Nope. I feel that if I sleep we will get ambushed or something. No offence. It’s been like this for a while. Very little sleep time. I think I am losing my mind. I guess I would have lost it without the team.

Kayle: Hey. If you need anything I am here, okay? WE are here. And sometimes you need to relax and drop the toughness-badass personality. Just take it easy.

Iren: What are you? A psychologist?

Kayle: It was part of my training. Understanding the human mind. Helps against traitors, spies, etc. Also makes it easier to manipulate others.

Iren: Are you trying to manipulate me, specialist Jakobin?

Kayle: Hah. No ma’am. I am not.

Iren: You better get some sleep then. I will take it from here.

Kayle: Yeah that will be sweer. See ya tomorrow.

"The next day..."

{Time: 09:00}

Kayle: Found anything?

Gideon: Nope. Only garbage, spiders and mice.

"During the morning the team discovered an old car within the warehouse but a lot of its parts were missing. Despite Kayle’s mechanical expertise he still couldn’t fix it. Also it was dangerous to go out and search for spares"

Leonev: Wait. Quiet. Did you hear that?

"The engines of a ship could be heard and after a while, people walking on the roof. Armed individuals started rappelling inside the building from the hatch on the roof and from the windows"

Mercenary Leader: Spread out.

"Iren was hiding behind a generator and as soon as she found the chance she chock held one mercenary and brought him where the rest of the team was located"

Gideon: Ok you son of bitch. Who keeps sending these death squads after us?

Mercenary: Let’s just say someone was unhappy with you switching sides. Anyone in particular coming to your mind?

Leonev: Damnit. Victus....

"The front door exploded into a million pieces as EUF forces walked in and opened fire. Some mercenaries dropped instantly dead. While the mercs started moving deeper inside the warehouse to find cover the enemy drop-gunship flew away, followed by EUF fighters"

"Darkstar picked ammo and weapons and opened fire against everyone else while getting cover behind a bunch of metal boxes. An armored vehicle entered carrying troopers. A mercenary ran, climbed the vehicle, opened its hatch and dropped a grenade inside it causing it to explode. Meanwhile Gideon had “acquired” a heavy machinegun and was ripping people apart. When the gun was empty he used it as a club against an E.U.F soldier.

Iren used an EUF combat bot as a shield moving towards the, now, destroyed exit.

Leonev and Kayle were fighting back to back as enemies were pouring from both sides.

Meanwhile the mercenary warship was getting hunted down by EUF forices while trying to circle around to pick the remaining men. A few shots and a missile later the ship took a dive towards the warehouse, destroying an entire wall causing a huge shockwave that collapsed the roof.

While everyone wa trying to recover, Leonev noticed an armored military jeep just outside the building.

They rushed inside it with Gideon standing on the gun and going at full speed. They dropped inside the highway with EUF and police vehicles pursing them. Meanwhile more mercenary ships had arrived trying to desperately finish their contact with EUF fighters on their tail"

Gideon: WHEN IS THIS FUCKING STORY GOING TO END?

Kayle: When either side puts us down! Now KEEP FIRING. Me and Iren will use the windows!

"A gunship hovered in front of them but before it opened fire it was hit by a missile barrage as it dropped in the highway. Leonev took a look at the sky only to see an actual frigate just a few miles in front of them descending on the highway. While the ship itself wasn’t firing, soldiers and robots standing on it did. One side-part of the frigate opened sending at least 30 soldiers equipped with thruster (jet) packs to hunt them down"

Gideon: Oh the irony. Can’t this thing go any faster?

Leonev: I’m going at maximum speed. Oh man. I only wish we had the “Darkwraith”.

Gideon: Me and you buddy...

"One merc gunship and a few EUF fighters were moving at such a high speed that the pilots noticed the frigate only when they crushed at its sides, causing an explosive chain reaction with the ship falling, killing civilians and military alike, closing off a huge part of the road and destroying most of the buildings at the side of the highway. These wouldn't have happened if the vessel had it's shields up, but usually they kept them off in friendly air space in order to reduce energy usage"

Kayle: Oh my god.

"An army blockade was set up and as soon they got in sight, a tank opened fire with the shell hitting a few meters in front of the car sending it flying on the sidelines and soldiers already approaching it"

Leonev: We need to get out of here! Damn... Is everyone alright?

Iren: FUCK MY LIFE.

"A metal shard had been inserted deep in her right thigh and blood was pouring out"

"The team dragged Iren out of the car. Kayle put one hand in her back and the other at her legs. He lifted her up and then the squad started running. A building was located there and, behind it, they could see an unnamed EUF ship. However when they turned in a corner they saw them. One robotic and five human figures next to a few bikes"

Leonev: No... NOT THEM! NOT NOW!

"Kayle brought Iren a bit close to him while still looking. He knew who these guys were. He wouldn’t let them have her. Gideon didn’t do anything. He didn’t charge at them, he didn’t open fire. For the first time since he joined the war Gideon Harril, a behemoth of a man and a hardened soldier just couldn’t take any action. He felt that he was betraying his team. He could only look at them. For a second he, himself, thought that he was broken beyond any repair"

"One hour prior to the start of the events..."

{Location: Fields outside of Washington, DC}
{At: Crash Site}

"EUF forces are on the field with heavy machinery in order to remove the crashed ships while others are searching around the barn of where the gunship is located"

EUF Soldier: ...So you are telling me they took down three corvettes and a fighter squadron using what? Jetpacks and a police gunship?

EUF Officer: Yep. Imagine what whould happen if they were properly equipped.

EUF Soldier: And now what?

EUF Officer: Now it's hunting season. One of the admirals said he will send a special forces team or something in order to help.

EUF Soldier: You mean...these guys?

"A ship has landed a few meters away and some people were coming out of it"

Reyna: We are sent by Admiral Morgan. Mission report?

0