Chapter 49 – One Last Gathering
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

["One Last Gathering"]

"Some hours after the decisive victory on Pluto, everyone is aboard their designated spaceship. Ghost Squad is inside the Independence. Admiral Morgan's flagship. It's enormous. It carries personnel, fighters, transport ships, two corvettes and one frigate of the United Front. The Elite Forces and Special Operators are given their own rooms near the ship's bridge while the rest can either sleep on free rooms or, by majority, at the lower decks of the ship. Everyone is waiting for the final briefing from their commanding captains and officers. Inside the Independence, almost everyone is located in the large centre of the ship. Some are siting down, some are chatting, while some others are laughing. Suddenly, David Morgan approaches. With him, there is General Mathiew Baker of the main assault army, while second lieutenant (2LT) James McLaren of the marine forces is also present"

EUF Sergeant: Everyone, A--te--ntion! Chief Admiral David Morgan, General Mathiew Baker and 2LT James McLaren are about to brief you!

Morgan: Thank you, sergeant. Well gentlemen, let me start by congratulating each and every one of you for the Victory on Pluto. The battle you fought there will remain in the books of history for centuries to come. You've really pushed those Rexians back. And now look at them. They have nowhere else to go. The outer rim has nothing for them. They can't escape. Victus is trapped within his own planet with whatever troops he has left. But even they shouldn't be a match for you. And his army? Mostly comprised of robots! Easily destroyed!

"Everyone starts cheering loudly"

Morgan: The only real threat lies in space. Because his troops may have dwindled significantly, but his frigates still remain. Don't worry. We still have the advantage on numbers. We are going to bring more than 90% of our entire fleet over Rexus Prime for this final battle. And almost more than half of our troops as well. Now, for the briefing. General.

Mathiew Baker: Yes, thank you, Chief Admiral. Gentlemen! The council has decided. We're going to Rexus Prime at last! But not without a plan. As you can see on the big screen behind me, this is the whole of Rexus. Now, these are it's major cities. But the one with the highest concentration of troops and defences is Lion's Gate. Their capital. Zooming in, you can see that Lion's Gate and Tiger's claw have energy shields, covering about half of their entirety. But the capital should be our focus. For this reason we have decided to bring two groups split into waves. The first group will attack Lion's Gate, while the second will simultaneously attack Tiger's Claw. There are going to be two waves for each one. The reinforcing wave will drop as soon as the first gain some ground. But the first wave will be under heavy fire from space. That's why Admiral Morgan has more plans for the assault. Admiral.

Morgan: Indeed I do, General. You see, going inside Rexus is no easy task. You will be under frigate, fighter and anti-space gun fire. Once on ground, you will have to destroy those anti-space cannons and guns, as well as deactivating the shield generator, each group for it's own assaulting city. Their control rooms are inside covered and well-defended bunkers. You will need to storm their positions and either deactivate it manually, or shoot it to pieces. But even doing that is no small or easy job. That is why about two frigates filled with armoured vehicles will drop, mainly, at Lion's Gate, reinforcing the troops there. For more advanced details, I will move over to the special forces. And I will give the speech to James McLaren. Lieutenant.

2LT James McLaren: Thank you Admiral Morgan. We currently have five elite forces and agents in our fleet. Phoenix, Bravo, Delta, Zed and Ghost Squad. Present in this ship is Ghost Squad. So I will refer to them. The team is going to split into two. The former Ghost Squad is going to be the same in members, while the newest addition are transferred back to their own team. Darkstar Squad. Ghost Squad will go with the first wave. They will help with the push along with the main army. You will be given further orders once you meet with your commanding officer. As for Darkstar, they will come with the second, reinforcing wave. They will also help with the push and will be given orders as well.

Morgan: Alright. Thank you gentlemen. That was all. The briefing is now concluded. For all the pilots, follow your wing leaders for analysed tactics. Kate and Max, you will be added to the "Frost Wyrms" elite fighters. Go and speak with Sergeant Koley in two hours from now.

Reyna: Hey. You didn't tell us you will be pilots forever.

Kate: Relax. We're not. But after what happened with Darkstar and like you saw in Pluto, we will remain there until further notice. After all we excel in that part of combat.

Max: ...As well.

Kate: Yeah. As well.

Susan: Well guys. Now that Darkstar got separated and we don't have them any more, we all hope you return back to us.

Kate: Soon guys. Very soon.

Max: I won't let anyone separate us further. I promise.

Reyna: Right. Let's go grab a bite and then you may go to your wing leaders.

Max: Sounds good.

"After the briefing, everyone has something to do in order to prepare for the next battle. Some go to the ship's cafeteria to grab something to eat. Others go and ready their gear, while some others return to their quarters to sleep or communicate with their families as it may be the last time they talk with them. The pilots are instructed to follow a different high-rank for a more detailed flight mission briefing in each wing. The technicians check for any malfunctions inside the ship while half of them do the daily maintenance both on ERS Independence and the space fighters docked within. Ghost Squad gathers at the cafeteria to spend time with each other. Rj left early. He seemed troubled with something. Susan saw him. She followed him. After a while, she sees Rj looking from a window in the end of a corridor close to their rooms. She approaches him"

Susan: ...It's pretty empty out there.

Rj: Yeah.

Susan: To that, we're so little. Something that can't be seen if it's too far away.

Rj: And yet...here we all are. About to save the galaxy.

Susan: Don't you like that idea, Rj?

Rj: I do.

Susan: Then what is the problem?

Rj: I---

"Rj turned around. He was silent. He was only looking at her. Finally...he spoke"

Rj: This may be the last time we see each other.

Susan: Yeah. I know that.

Rj: There's just...so much to do...so much to say! But---

Susan: But there's so little time...

Rj: Yeah, I guess.

Susan: Then do something about it. Stop talking and...just do it.

"There's another pause. Both look at each other while the breathing starts becoming deeper"

Rj: Yeah. You're right. Enough talking...

"Rj nears and kisses her"

Rj: I---I love you...

"He kisses her again. Each kiss more passionate that the previous"

Susan: ...Took you long enough...

Rj: Yeah...It did. Didn't it..?

"The continue to kiss as they are heading to Rj's room. Along the way, they take some of their clothes out and throw them to the ground. The temperature increases. He pulls her up against the wall before they head inside and kisses her on the neck. Once inside they quickly head to the bed after taking their remaining clothes out. Rj is above, kissing her all over her body. Susan raises her hands and grabs behind as Rj lowers down..."

"After about an hour, both return back to the cafeteria where the rest of Ghost Squad is located. But not Darkstar. They are sitting in another table, talking about the next battle as a family"

Kate: Hey, look who's back.

Reyna: Hey, where have you two been?

Rj: Oh, you know. Taking some air...

Reyna: Inside the ship?

Rj: Uh, yea. Walking and...stuff.

Reyna: Why do you look so weird?

Susan: Me? I'm not weird.

Reyna: I was referring to my brother.

Susan: Oh. Well, let's just sit.

Rj: Got anything for us?

Reyna: You left. Order them yourself.

Rj: Aw. What a caring sister.

Zeon: I believe it would be wiser to just sit down and talk for what may be the last day we see each other.

Max: Yea. Zeon is right. We drank, we ate. Now it's time for some chat.

Kate: Oh come on. Like something bad is going to happen.

Max: Oh yeah. And how can you know?

Kate: Wha---please. This guy is cornered. He has nowhere else to go. His fleet is waiting and his remaining troops are inside the planet. Plus we are going to bring almost all of our fleet, didn't you hear the briefing mister Cortez?

Max: Ha-ha, miss Cross. Very funny.

Reyna: No, but...what happens if---

Susan: Hey look at me. Nothing is going to happen. We'll just go there, do as we're told and get the hell out. No harm. No nothing.

Rj: Yeah. Nothing is going to happen. And you know why? Because we're going to do this, not like a squad or a team. But like a family. Counting on each other. Helping one another. And above all...caring for them. Because we are all one fist. An iron fist that is never going to be broken. A fist that will punch Victus right where "the sun don't shine". And end this madness...once and for all.

Kate: Wow, Rj. You really got me this time.

Max: Rj Frost. Born a leader!

Reyna: Taken from his sister no doubt!

Zeon: Aspiring speech Rj. I can barely feel any emotions, but if I could, I would definitely cry to this one.

Susan: Well. What say we drink those beers for the family?

Rj: Oh. I couldn't agree more!

Max: To the family then!

Kate: Right! For the family!

Reyna: For the family it is!

Zeon: I can't drink but...For the family!

"Then all six shout"

Max: For Ghost Squad!
Kate: For Ghost Squad!
Rj: For Ghost Squad!
Reyna: For Ghost Squad!
Susan: For Ghost Squad!
Zeon: For Ghost Squad!

"At this time, Morgan approaches them"

Morgan: Well well. I see you're all bonded and ready.

Kate: Indeed we are, boss!

Morgan: I'm happy for you. But...The battle of Rexus Prime...grows ever near.

Reyna: We know...

Morgan: Reyna. I trust that you will lead your squad with professionalism. That you will lead them good. And keep them safe. And I also hope you use the skills that Leonev taught you. I promise you they won't stick with you forever. Not even as we speak. As you heard, they're going separately. It's...for the best that way.

Reyna: Not to worry, David. This time I'm ready to lead. I promise you that.

Rj: Well if it's someone to lead and to trust...that would definitely be you, sis'.

Susan: Aw, look at them.

Morgan: Excellent. That's...all. I would suggest you take some sleep. In a day's hour, we will be above Rexus. I need you combat ready and eager. Max and Kate, you better start going to Sergeant Koley. She'll be waiting for you.

Max: Yes sir.

Morgan: Right...Farewell for now. We'll see each other again tomorrow.

"So, Morgan left. The team sat a bit before heading to rest. But not Darkstar. While EUF was waiting for the next battle, Victus was getting ready..."

Rexian Officer: Sir. Everything is in order.

Victus: Good. Inform the Admiral to start readying his fleet. If all goes as planned, this will be a decisive victory.

Rexian Officer: Roger that sir. Will do, sir!

Victus: Oh. And officer. One more thing.

Rexian Officer: Yes, sir?

Victus: Prepare my new prototype suit. I will test it in a few hours.

Rexian Officer: Right away sir.

"Victus walked towards the window of his half-destroyed building, looking at the sky"

Victus: Let's do this Morgan. Bring your elite squad to stop me. I will make sure to kill every last one of them. And Darkstar...they will rue the day they betrayed me!

Rexian Sergeant: Is he always talking to himself like that?

Rexian Officer: ...Only when he looks out of the window.

0