Chapter 7: Window
268 17 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early in the morning the sun rays gently illuminated the room through the shutter blinds where Chito and Yuuri were sleeping. Chito slept tightly most of the night when she felt that someone was nudging her and trying to wake her up.

"Chii-chan - Chii-chan, wake up! Where are we?

Opening her eyes she found a pair of confused blue eyes looking back at her. Unsure if she was still dreaming, Chito gently brushed her eyes. After all this time Chito felt that she would never see those two beautiful blue eyes ever again. Yuuri with genuine confusion in her eyes kept staring at Chito, feeling refreshed as she had just woken up after a long nap.

Chito couldn't stop crying as she jumped into her hugging her so tightly that she never wanted to let go of her ever again in her life.

"Yuuriiii!!!" Chito could barely articulate any words as she kept weeping in her chest. "Please... tell me - you are - awake..."

"Chii-chan... What's wrong? Why are you crying?" Yuuri was unable to understand where on earth she was. Her memory was a complete blank on how she found herself in this mysterious room, she still couldn't recall that day outside the wall, everything seemed blurry to her. For some reason, she couldn't get out of her bed, as she felt weak with persistent pain in her leg.

"Please, Yuuri... don't ever leave me alone again..." Chito kept crying loudly in her arms. "I...I... thought I would never hear your voice again... I thought you would never wake up... please, I don't want to spend a single moment without you again... Please... Yuu..."

"Chii-chan, no... please don't cry... you are not dreaming I am here..." she was still puzzled and scanned the room. This was unlike any room she had seen before in her life, the walls were covered in white plaster, and on the left of her bed, there was a window with shutters. She had no idea why in her left arm there was a strange tube attached leading up to a bag filled with some kind of liquid. "But what happened? Where are we Chii-chan?" she asked.

"Oh, my sweetheart... I don't know how to tell you..." Chito slowly tried to get her composure, as she cried into Yuuri's chest. "You were in a coma... after we reached the wall... I am so sorry..."

"Chii-chan... what's a coma?" Yuuri asked again, while Chito embraced her tightly.

"It's when you sleep for a long time... you slept for one month and... I was here right next to you waiting... for you to wake up almost every day... I couldn't leave your side and... I - I kept calling and talking to you every night - sleeping next to you... hoping you would wake up..."

"But Chii-chan, why didn't you wake me up?"

"It's really difficult - it's not like you can wake up easily from a coma - I spoke to you every day, but... you weren't waking up, but... I am so happy you are here with me again...Yuu... please never leave me again..." she leaned up and kissed her cheeks. Chito waited for what felt like an eternity for this moment to see her conscious again, she had so much to tell her about their new home and their new family.

"Chii-chan..." Yuuri replied and blushed deeply. "I'm sorry... I must have been very tired that I slept for a whole month. And look how long my hair has grown." she smiled running her hand through her long blonde hair.

"But Chii-chan... how was I alive all this time?"

"Do you see that tube that runs in your arm?" Chito pointed towards Yuuri's arm where something that looked like a tube was attached to her "They told me that it's called an IV infusion, I also had it for some time after I woke up because I was also fragile. It's supposed to provide something like liquid food for your body and keep you alive and strong while you are in a coma. And you are not supposed to pull it out or touch it."

"Mmmm... I never know you can eat food through your arm Chii-chan... but still, I am sooo hungry..." Yuuri mumbled. "But Chii-chan - how did we get here in this weird room? And why does my leg hurt so much?"

"Oh... Yuu..." Chito started crying again in her arms. She was not sure how she was going to tell her what happened, she felt it was all her fault that she forced her through the snow and that Yuuri lost her leg.

"I am so sorry Yuu - It was my fault for pushing you out through the blizzard while you were sick. The last thing I remember is that we reached the wall outside and you were so exhausted that you fell asleep on the cold snow. I was so scared Yuu... I used the explosive to try and breach the wall so we can go through and look for a shelter... but then nothing happened. I just... I gave up - and went to sleep next to you outside because I thought that was the end of our journey - and that's when I woke up in the room opposite yours, we were saved... by the wonderful people that live inside here. Yuu that was the worst moment of my life - I thought you were dead... ... I... thought you...died... I...I... at that moment... I didn't know what I will do without you... I... don't..." she continued crying as Yuuri leaned her head on hers and gently hugged her

"Chii-chan..." she gently spoke.

"- but... I broke my hand and I can't move it that much" with teary eyes she took out her left hand from underneath the blanket, showing Yuuri that she struggled to make a full fist... "but... Yuuri... you..." she was trying to get her composure to tell her the bad news. "You lost your leg - I am so sorry Yuu - It's all my fault!" She couldn't ever forgive herself for Yuuri losing her leg and she felt that everything was her fault.

"What are you talking about Chii-chan, my leg just hurts a bit, I never lost -" Yuuri responded before she pulled off the blanket, and saw that her left leg was indeed gone.

"...oh..." with grief Yuuri kept looking down at the bed, she was missing the lower part just underneath her knee but she could still feel pain as if it was still there. She felt a bit relieved that she could move her right leg, but with some difficulty as her muscles have atrophied after being in a coma for this long.

"But... what happened to my leg Chii-chan? I can still feel it... but--" she was still perplexed, it was coming back to her that outside on the last layer she had constant pain in her left leg on that day, but she kept pushing on towards the wall with Chito through the intense cold and mounds of snow that piled up on the layer. She could never imagine that she would ever lose her leg due to the harsh weather outside.

"Yuu... the doctor Reo... he said he had to cut your leg off because of something called frostbite that you can get outside in the snow. He said we both suffered from hypothermia... and frostbite on our legs, fingers, and toes, but he couldn't save your leg and you wouldn't have survived if he kept it. He said you might feel something called a 'phantom pain' as if your leg is still there... I am so sorry Yuuri, if it wasn't for me you would still have had your leg..."

"Chii-chan... " Yuuri mentioned her name assuredly again as she looked at Chito and gently held her damaged hand "If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have been here in this room alive." leaning down she gently pressed her forehead next to hers. "You saved our lives... you are my hero Chii-chan... I'd rather lose both my legs than ever lose you... even if it cost my leg I am so happy that we are safe...." Yuuri's eyes softly filled up with tears as she embraced Chito close to her.

"I love you... Chii-chan... and I will never leave your side..."

"Yuu..." Chito replied as she slowly composed herself buried in her arms. "I - I love you more than everything... I promise I will be by your side. I will be your other leg..." she gently smiled as she brushed the tears from her eyes. "I will help you bathe... I will prepare food for you... I will do everything for you... my sweetheart."

"Chii-chan... please promise me that we will not cry anymore. We are safe... I just want us to be happy from now on. I think we've been through too much already and I just want us to be happy, together..." Yuuri said with her beautiful and sad smile. Yuuri had to learn to accept the fact that she would never have her leg back, but she felt she could give all her legs and arms just so Chito could be happy and alive by her side.

After some moments passed and they slowly composed themselves in each other's arms, Yuuri had a lot more questions to ask, she was still confused.

"So Chii-chan... are we still up on the last layer?" she asked her.

"Yes... we are inside the place they called the Biodome... but I still can't explain what it is... I am so confused as well... you have to see it for yourself Yuu. I can show you." Chito answered as she left her embrace and got out of bed. Walking barefoot towards the side of her bed she leaned to help pull Yuuri up on the bed...

"Ok... One...Two... Three..." with Chito's help she sat on the bed facing the blinds towards the window.

"Oh - What do you want to show me Chii-chan?"

"Are you ready?" Chito smiled as she moved towards the side of the window. There were two buttons just on the side of the shutter blind there were used to control them, the previous night she closed them so the sun didn't wake her up.

"Huh? Ready?" Yuuri asked before Chito pressed one of the buttons. An electronic whir started moving the blinds to the sides of the window. The shutter slowly opened as the sun's rays blinded Yuuri for a second. Just as she was starting to get used to the light, Yuuri looked through the window again - her blue eyes full of spark opened widely again gasping in awe.

The whole dome was home to an isolated civilization brimming with all kinds of organic life. From plants to all types of beautiful and colorful trees, up to the observable horizon. It was the first time in her life that she has seen an actual tree in person. Up until now, they have seen them in pictures and videos down at the nuclear submarine, and now there were so many outside their windows. The sun and the sky shined brightly above this isolated world from the outside. Perhaps this was the last place on earth that had life, and the reason they built this large dome up in the sky was to protect the last living lifeforms left on this planet.

Gasping in awe, Yuuri in disbelief looked through the window from her bed, as Chito sat beside her, leaning her head to her shoulder. "It's amazing isn't it Yuu?"

"CHII-CHAN, WOW!" Yuuri exclaimed, still in disbelief as she looked through the window. "Is that - what they call trees?"

"Yes, they are real trees. Mieko and Reo told me that sadly there are only 36 kinds of trees that survived the extinction, they also have flowers and even plants that grow food. They have been able to survive up here for hundreds of years - after the world below fell apart."

"CHII-CHAN, THAT IS SOOOO AMAZING!" Yuuri chuckled as she glanced through the window with her eyes wide open. "Chii-chan, how didn't we know this world was up here? Do you think we are finally in heaven?"

Chito grinned and turned her head looking at her... "We might as well be Yuu, this sure does feel like heaven. I could never have imagined this place existed even in my crazy dreams."

Yuuri slightly surprised, wiggled around in her bed as she pointed towards something in the distance, she was still too weak to even get up from her bed... "CHII-CHAN, WHAT'S THAT FLYING OUT THERE?"

"Oh.. those are called birds. I am not sure what kind of species these are, but there are a lot, some called are called pigeons, some are called cranes, crows, and geese, and some are called chickens but they don't fly that high. They told me they even have other kinds of animals, livestock, cats, dogs..." Chito replied as she kept looking through the window together with Yuuri. "That's what they told me but I haven't seen them yet. I just kept looking out the window while I was waiting for you to wake up, and only ever noticed the birds on the horizon. I also saw many other humans outside on the streets, they all seemed happy living their lives. I was so glad that, unlike the outside, everyone seems so carefree."

"ARE THERE FLYING FISHY AS WELL? CAN WE EAT THEM?" Yuuri kept wiggling on the bed with the widest smile on her face asking all of those questions. "Heyy... you'll break the bed Yuuuu... and no, I don't think there are flying fish... But Reo told me they also have fresh and seawater tanks and even a lake where lots of fish live and we can eat them sometimes as well. But even with all that food, people still ration it up here as well so they don't run out of it and maintain food for generations."

"MmmmMmm...Yummyummm...." Yuuri mumbled with drool in her mouth as she continued swaying around on her bed "I want all the fishy in the world!"

Seeing her so happy only brought a smile to Chito's worn face. They have been through too much since they left the village, and they never thought through all the hopelessness that they would find happiness and a place they can call home. Even if this was an isolated and such a small place from the outside world, Chito and Yuuri only hoped that they will be welcome to stay here.

Yuuri smiled and suddenly jumped into Chito pinning her gently down on the bed as she lay on top of her. Even though she was atrophied and still weak, she managed to pin Chito with a surprised look on her face down on the bed somehow. "Chii-chan, I am so happy! Thank you for bringing me here!" she exclaimed looking down at her as both of them blushed.

"Well... both of us made the journey... so in a way, you also brought me up here too. Yuu..." Chito replied looking up at her eyes and gently smiling.

Their spark was once again alive and burning with lots of love and life. It was a wonderful feeling that they no longer had to fear for their lives or ever go hungry again. In the end, what mattered was that they were happy and safe.

"Chii-chaaaaan... we can finally get married!" Yuuri exclaimed before she leaned over and kissed her so deeply, almost as if she was trying to devour her whole face. "mmpphhpmmm...."

Chito was startled even more as she wasn't expecting this kind of reaction from Yuuri. Completely blushed, she mumbled underneath her kiss wagging her arms and trying to get up. "Yuuriii... STOP... be care...fu...l or... you wil... rip your IV... offffwwllwl..mmhhwfff"

Seeing Yuuri's beautiful eyes and smile again brought back her will to live, she was so happy once again. No matter how short and difficult life might be, she wanted to spend an eternity with her at their new home.

° ° °

"Mmmphmpmmm... it's foooff tawsty!!! Waf if fhwifs?" Yuuri kept trying to speak with her mouth full, still laying down on the bed as she stared at Mieko who sat on a chair opposite her bed. Laying next to Yuuri was Chito snuggling her free arm.

"It's called chicken curry with rice Yuuri, and if you want you can have a fifth bowl!" Mieko answered as she and Reo dressed in a hospital uniform curiously watched her go through the fourth bowl of curry.

"Fhis is the tawstiewt twing I've eer eafen in my liwe. Werr did you fwind it?" she replied with her mouth full.

"Well... it was my grandma's recipe and my fiance cooked it for you both. It's all from ingredients that we can grow in our fields and the hydroponics bay. Didn't Itsuki prepare this for you on the outside?"

"Mmpmmhpm..." swallowing the rest of the food she placed the bowl on the table next to her bed "No - he never did, we could only eat rations and whatever the hydroponics factory could produce. He also baked really tasty bread and we helped him with Chii-chan." Smiling she gently rubbed her tummy..."Mmmm... I could eat this every day" before she turned to Reo who was sitting right next to Mieko "So, Itsuki was your father? And his brother Yasuo was Chito's father?" she asked.

"Yes, Yuuri. I was just a little boy when we were sent to this place with my mother. Sadly circumstances were not in his favor due to him and Yasuo breaking the rules in the village and he was unable to leave with us." Reo replied. "They sent us so many letters up here any chance they could through travelers and both of them spoke about you two a lot. They both helped so many people before the bridges fell, and we didn't know Yasuo sadly passed away many years ago. They are considered heroes in the eyes of many families."

"Wow... I knew that grandpa was a hero, he was the kindest person ever and always wanted to help anyone he met." Yuuri replied.

"Do you remember if he ever told you about us or this place?" Reo asked her.

"My memory is not that good from our past and he mostly worked at the factory every day. And by the end, he was very forgetful and I am sad that he never spoke of you. But he used to tell us a lot of stories about the world outside so many times and that he helped people look for food or supplies... he never mentioned yo..." Yuuri replied. "But it's nice that he has a family up here too, out there me and Chii-chan were his only family."

"And Mieko, you are Reo's daughter?" Yuuri was already full of so many questions she wanted to ask her new family.

"Yes... I am his only daughter and since a month ago a certified nurse and the girl that beat the dome champion in chess!" Mieko chuckled, she must have bragged to everyone about finally beating Reo in chess. Turning to Reo who looked like his pride was hurt she continued speaking "And I beat him at his own game, I kept asking him to explain from memory how a 'Splenectomy' is performed."

"Pfff..." he let out an audible annoyance as Mieko playfully punched him on the shoulder still giggling.

"Ummm... What's a Splenectomy?" Yuuri asked them again, they barely heard her as Reo had Mieko locked under her arm and messed up her hair while she was struggling. "I will show you how's Splenectomy done on you Mieko! I will obliterate you in chess next time you coward, just wait and see!"

Yuuri chuckled again as she turned back to Chito, who was still peacefully snuggled against her arm. The commotion between Reo and Mieko was still going on in their room as she started speaking to Chito

"Chii-chan, are they a crazy family?"

"Mhm... and it seems like they are our family now, and you share something similar with Mieko's mother. She also lost her leg in an accident many years ago on the outside." Chito replied as she was almost in a trance snuggling Yuuri's numb arm. She was beyond happy that she finally awakened from her coma.

"Mom would love to meet you as well Yuuri. She will be home in 2 days, they are down with her group scavenging for parts." Mieko spoke from underneath Reo's arm as she pulled away from his grasp.

"But... if she is missing a leg - how is she able to go outside?"

"Yuuri - my colleague specializes in neuroprosthetics and he can create and synthesize neuroprosthetics for children and adults that suffered a loss of limb from accidents," Reo replied to her question. "With just a few surgical implants and lots of practice. it's like you've never even lost your leg. My ex-wife lost hers on a scavenging mission, she was salvaging components and something fell on her leg breaking it into several pieces. Sadly she had to share the same fate as you. But don't worry Yurri, he will be able to build your prosthetic as soon as you are ready. It will take time but you will be able to walk on your two feet again."

"Oooh wow... hey Chii-chan... I will be a robot and a god at the same time." she grinned at Chito as she kept snuggling her arm. "Oh, and how many people live here?" Yuuri asked him again, her sense of wonder seemed to be back as well.

"There are more than 28000 people. The number used to be much higher, but there was a lot of inner turmoil between the residents for so many decades before." he answered "Our biodome was made to house over two million residents and in the early days was an experiment in self-sufficiency from the outside world. They made about 40 of these biodomes around the world, but after the wars, our ancestors lost contact with every single one around the world many years ago. While this dome was built to provide an atmosphere and clean water for the layers below us, it was also used for research, preservation, and data for humanity to colonize the planet Mars. The first spaceships they built, sent millions of people to that planet. The whole world ran a lottery, and about four billion people signed up to leave this planet. Only a few million were selected for the first flights. The planet back then was overpopulated by humans and humanity felt that they eventually had to move to a different planet. Just as the spaceships launched, a few years later, one of the mass extinction wars started, which almost wiped humanity off its planet. After that our ancestors never had contact with the crew that went to Mars, we will never know if their mission was a success or if they managed to colonize the planet - or if they are still alive up there among the stars."

"Oh... " Chito and Yuuri were both left speechless as they listened to Reo carefully. It felt like too much information to suddenly process about their new home and even the history of the world.

"But... how did the biodome survive for this long?" Yuuri asked him again.

"If you saw the weapons outside, they protected the dome for many years from air raids. It's controlled by a very advanced AI that controls every aspect of the dome. No one has been able to turn it off for hundreds of years or even breach the room where the 'AI' works from. Even to this day it still works, but I am glad that it never killed any outsiders in recent years that made the hike up the stairways. The weapons shoot concentrated light beams that almost instantly fry anything up in the sky with accuracy, that is how the biodome was able to protect itself for so many years. The blast walls were an advanced 'Starlite Compound' that has been researched to withstand an EMP attack and even thermonuclear bombs 20 times bigger than the one that was dropped on Europe at the end of World War 3. When Chito placed the bomb on the wall outside, the shock wave was absorbed by the wall triggering an alarm just like when the biodome used to be under attack many years ago." Reo replied. "The camera systems didn't work that day and if Chito never set off the explosive, we would never have found you."

"But why wasn't everyone at the village granted a passage here if it could house so many people?" Chito asked him as well joining the conversation, still snuggled with Yuuri who was also listening carefully. "Why did Itsuki and the others have to suffer out there?"

"The outside world had so many people that want to hurt us and the AI is especially wary of the outsiders. Its information is beyond valuable to us and the remaining species it houses in the biodome. Sadly the elders of your village valued its residents at loftier prices than the AI could afford. That meant spare machine parts, knowledge, resources, food, and even freshwater were traded with them so they could let it have capable humans move in the biodome. Even if humans were the reason behind all of the extinction, the AI felt the need for their help for the survival of the biodome. Sadly I couldn't have done anything to provide Itsuki's and Yasuo's passages even if I tried to ration my food and parts grant for years. The AI would not let me go outside as well as it feels my knowledge of medicine is necessary to help the other humans in our community." Reo replied and sighed looking back at Yuuri.

"Yuuri - I am afraid if it wasn't for the AI's knowledge and his information - if you were rescued on the outside you never would have been able to wake up from your coma. I wanted to tell you both when Yuuri woke up but, Yuuri was showing no brain activity after we rescued you both outside. She had extensive brain damage, and she was never going to wake up. It was only after we put a nano-synthesized machine inside her brain that it was able to repair her cells to perfection. That is why she recovered so quickly. I am so glad that I found the information and was able to synthesize it. I haven't slept for a week researching the archive and finally was able to find it, buried deep under mountains of information, schematics and research. I don't have a record of it ever performed on a human in hundreds of years, but I am so glad that I did. I couldn't live with myself seeing another spark disappear. You might have been the first human in recent times that ever recovered from this condition, Yuuri. You both are the luckiest and strongest girls - and when I look at you both I see my grandfather's determination in both your eyes."

Chito listened to him carefully and couldn't help but start crying again looking up at Yuuri, she couldn't express with words how glad she was that Yuuri was alive and lying next to her. She couldn't stop the tears for many weeks now as they always flooded her eyes. Chito never knew what she would do if the circumstances were different and she lost her partner out there on the wall, or if she never woke up from her coma.

"Robotic brain... robotic leg... Chii-chan I might be a robotic god!" she laughed again, as Chito brushed the tears from her eyes and smiled back at her.

"Yuu... You really are carefree and strong, even after everything that happened..." she replied before turning to face Reo with her teary eyes. "Reo, I am eternally grateful to you and Mieko for helping her, I don't know what I would have done without her by my side... I really don't... just the thought of losing her -"

"Chito... all these years I felt like I've never done anything more for my parents. Giving you both a chance at life is the last thing I could do, and I am so happy that you both are here with us. You are our family and dad would never forgive me if I never helped you." Reo and Mieko both got up from their chairs and went to hug them both on the bed. "I am so glad you woke up Yuuri... I am so glad."

The rest of the evening all of them spent it laughing and reminiscing about their journey up to the last layer and talking about Itsuki and Yasuo. Yuuri even helped herself to another portion of chicken curry with rice and those familiar ration bars they had outside with chocolate flavor until she couldn't eat anymore. She never felt so full of food in her life.

° ° °

"Chii-chan, I forgot to ask... do you remember anything after we were rescued that day?" Yuuri asked her after the night had set in and they were getting ready for bed in their hospital room. Yuuri no longer needed the transfusions, and she had a hearty meal for the whole day. All she needed now was to get the strength in her body back and to start learning to walk with a cane until she got her prosthetic.

"Oh... I don't remember much but... it's so odd... I remember seeing Mieko and Reo for a brief moment and then... it occurred to me that I had another that dream where we are living in that other reality I was telling you about. We were walking at some weird park thing and there were some animals called deer, there were some odd buildings and scary statues too. That is what I remembered from the dream... After I remember that we went to have a bath and we talked about life and where we would go travel next and... I woke up in the next room." Chito replied before she turned the lights off in the room and snuggled next to Yuuri on the bed.

"Oh... I don't really remember much when I was in a coma, Chii-chan. Just I think I could hear your voice sometimes and that was it. Most of the time... it was like the world was dark and I couldn't feel anything. Just like when I am sleeping." Yuuri replied as she gazed at Chito's tired eyes underneath the covers "When I think about it - it's really scary. Do you think that's what we see when we die Chii-chan? Just darkness?"

"Mmm... I don't know Yuu, but I really don't want to find out - soon." Closing her eyes, Chito snuggled on Yuuri's chest. "What happened to us on the outside, made me realize - just how much life is valuable and - I don't want that darkness."

Keeping quiet for some time, both of them exhausted from the excitement of the day quickly started to fall asleep.

"mm... Chii... when we are together that darkness is not... so scary... it's just like when we go to sleep together..."

That night was the first in a long time that Chito and Yuuri slept peacefully together on that hospital bed, without fearing for their lives.

° ° °

"Hey Mieko, where are you taking us?" Yuuri turned around to face Mieko and Chito who were pushing her in a wheelchair in one of the parks inside the Biodome. A few days have passed since Yuuri woke up from her coma, and she was gradually getting her strength back and was finally able to stand and sit on her own. Chito walking next to them, for the first time in her life wore the usual comfortable clothes that people inside the biodome wore when the temperature felt warm. It was the first time that they'd gone out for fresh air since Yuuri woke up from her coma.

The biodome is divided into several sections and grids. The residential areas and additional facilities and factories were closer to the walls. The rest of the sections deeper inside the dome were called the protected area and stood surrounded by large forests and lakes. This section had all kinds of different species of flora and fauna that lived and thrived for numerous years. The ceiling of the dome far above them consisted of hard-tempered glass to let the sun rays in. Most of the time the AI determined the weather inside the biodome and residents could even cast a vote on when it was supposed to rain or simulate nice weather or wind for the benefit of the dome and its citizens. This strange place had its own ecosystem that was protected from the outside and managed to thrive for hundreds of years.

"Yuuri, the AI wanted to meet you both and speak to you for a long time now. It waits for us in the park." Mieko replied as they walked through the park. On this nice sunny day, it was occupied with families and children that greeted them as they passed by. After they arrived at the biodome they felt like some kind of celebrity. Almost everyone wanted to speak to them, from survivors of the outside to the original citizens of the biodome, and talk to them about their travels, bravery, and the world outside. They made so many friends in such a short time, but most of all Chito and Yuuri were beyond happy that they were accepted within this small world.

After a short walk, they went to a secluded area of the park, where Chito and Yuuri noticed the familiar statues among the trees. Outside, these statues were almost everywhere.

"Chii-chan, aren't these the same statues we saw on the layers beneath us?" Yuuri asked her, still sitting in her wheelchair as she pointed at the biggest statue in the middle.

"You are right Yuu!" Chito replied looking up at them, there were 5 of these statues standing still.

"Hey... AI!" Mieko called out to someone that was standing behind one of the statues. "You can stop complaining now! Finally, you can speak to them all you want."

Abruptly she turned to Chito and Yuuri and whispered. "Oh and... he is kinda a talkative one sooo... enjoy your evening!"

With a few machine-like sounds, a robot similar to the one they met at the fish factory emerged and gradually walked toward them on its tiny legs.

"Konichiwa - Chito - Yuuri - I've wanted to talk to you for about six thousand eight hundred and fifty hours - thirteen minutes - fifty-eight seconds since our first encounter."

(Continued in Chapter 8)
(Latest revision 5th December 2022)

3