A Foreboding Sunset
282 9 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Good morning Everyone! I am the System]

“Eh?” A male in his late twenties suddenly paused in the middle of the sidewalk. And so did some of the people around him.

“What is happening?”         

“Who is this?”

“Huh?”

The voice seems to have not been limited to humans, when domestic animals started acting strange. Unnecessary barking, sudden silence, and confused whimpers are just some of the reactions. Wild animals of all kind is also reacting to something in their surroundings, some aggressively while some calm, just like the domestic animals within the yolk of human civilization.

Several people start to murmur when the presence of the voice appeared, but their questions will not continue when the voice continued speaking again with its indifferent tone.

[Activating System 18%! 67%! 100%! Complete!

World Analysis Commencing!

Analysis Complete!

Welcome Un-]

The voice said, its words reverberating through the entirety of the Planet Earth. When it said the analysis was commencing, a wave of light suddenly passed covered the whole world for an entire second, its analysis complete when the light receded.

But before it could finish another word after welcome, it suddenly paused. It then continued speaking after a second of being unnaturally quiet.

[Welcome Earth! And good luck!]

The voice returned, this time with the common name of the world, still remaining in its same indifferent tone.

The seemingly paused world started moving again, the people starting to discuss what just happened.

“What was that?” An old man said to the elderly woman besides him, their faces filled with confusion.

“I don’t know, dear. I don’t know” She replied, her voice slightly frightened from what just happened.

In front of the old couple is a dumbfounded young adult, standing there like a marble statue, while the people around him are busy talking to each other or leaving the place. Though a bit disturbed, the children started returning to playing.

The frozen male seems to be looking at something, something in front of him, specifically his face.

<System Interface>

Name: Mikael Amorous

Race: Tree Spirit (No Main Body)

Level: 0

Profession: None

Skills: None

Talent:

Nature’s Child (innate)(locked)

Environmental Regeneration (racial)(locked)

<System Interface>

My mind is in massive disarray, as I digested the simple but heavy information in front of me. After a while of being in shock and disbelief, I started asking questions.

“What does being a Tree Spirit mean?”

No reply.

“What is a talent?” I whispered again.

[Talent is something that is within the body or soul of a person. It is usually gained from birth or certain situations. A single person usually only has the ability to hold one talent.]

This made my brows furrow as I delved into thought for a second, only to ask a question again, this time about what is the [Nature’s Child] talent.

[I suggest getting to level 1 first]

“How do I get to level 1?”

[Gain experience from events, which can include fighting other creatures, upgrading skills, gaining access to higher amounts of mana, etc.]

“And where exactly do I do that?”

The system did not reply. I can only sigh in response, and continue his walk back to his apartment.

I continue with my disturbed walk, paying little attention to my surroundings. There’s exactly no point in observing when it is the same day to day routine, well except that unusual occurrence. Oh well, the government can deal with that.

Suddenly, the town’s speakers powered up.

“Good morning citizens. I am your President, Lois Cruz.

I would like to address that individuals that had their race changed go to the designated zones of the government. There have been accidents that occurred due to the changed appearances of our fellow citizens, so I am reminding everyone to stay calm and not resort to violence.

Again, anyone that has their race changed, proceed to the designated zones. People with a talent should also go to the designated zones for cautionary measures.

And again, stay calm and do not attack our changed fellowmen

Instructions should follow after this broadcast.”

The calm voice disappeared, only to be replaced by a tired sounding voice.

“Please call 111 and inform them of your status as a talent bearer, race changed, or both. Please remain in a safe area as you wait for your escort to the facility.”

After that short instruction, the speaker turned off.

The people around me returned to what they were doing before the government announcement.

I am not so certain about the intentions of the government, as they might be planning to make a sieve out of us from needles, especially with the peculiarity of the alleged changes to our bodies. As much as I don’t really notice any change on myself.

Though judging from what I have noticed from other people and the system’s words, it seems that this is a global event and that can prevent any mass transgressions on scientific morals

Well, I might as well risk it. The government definitely does not have the capabilities to conduct human experiments even if they wish it.

I take out my phone for the emergency services as instructed by the announcement.

After waiting for several minutes, a military truck appears. A soldier comes out of it after stopping.

“Are you Sir Mikael Amorous?” His voice solemn but has a relaxed posture.

“Yeh” Mikael replies weakly, whether it is a gesture of submission or he is just tired is up to question.

“Please come with us, we will escort you to the facility.”

Mikael obediently follows.

While on the way, something suddenly came to his mind and wanted to ask the soldier about this.

“How do you think the government will handle this phenomenon?” I ask to the soldier sitting opposite of me, my eyes less indifferent and slightly more inquisitive when asking.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to answer that question, Sir Amorous”

“It must be confidential huh. Also, I prefer if you would call me as Mikael, Sir Amorous is too formal for my taste”

“That is noted”

Tsk. That didn’t go well enough. I didn’t get much information from him besides that either the government does not know how, or they are just trying to hide their knowledge.

Though the former possibility is most likely considering the recent occurrence of this phenomenon, we will see I guess.

We stopped several times to add more people to our truck, which is also other Talent bearers and Changed race. Eventually, we arrived on the facility with 10 people who either has a talent or race other than human including me, though I seem to have both a talent and a nonhuman race.

When we came down from the vehicle, Mikael seems to have been a bit shocked at the extent of the changes and its variety.

“And here I thought the rotting undead in our group is already a stretch of the laws” I say out loud, my voice in awe as I saw someone with not a single shred of flesh, yet is somehow still functioning, well except speaking.

There is also a stone golem, an angel-like person, someone with the features of a cat. One even is just a humanoid flame, with the texture of the fire barely making the figure of a face and its body.

“Oi, did you just call me weird.” The one of the person that he was with suddenly yells at him, its face rotting with some chunks with no skin, revealing a flesh in the hue of light-grey. It is wearing decent looking clothes, which contrasts with the patches that is stained with the blood and flesh that seems to be melting from its body.

“You could say that, though please don’t mistake it as an insult” I reply with a smile, which is a first after the changes happened.

This seems to have almost made the man yell again, though he was able to stop himself. The undead man eyed the soldier right just behind them, cautious as to what might be considered inappropriate conduct.

The undead might be the most daring among our group considering the experience that we had with him, but he is by no means a fool that would try to oppose the soldier’s warning earlier.

“hah” A male with brown ears and a fluffy tail scoffed, directing a shit-eating grin and mocking gaze at the undead man’s choice to back down.

The undead man’s face looks a bit red from trying to suppress a retort.

“Attention! You will be staying on this building, waiting for your name to be called for an examination. Any form of chaos will not be tolerated within the premises” The soldier said with an authoritative voice, with an emphasis on the word “chaos”.

Well, I guess we should be moving then.

We entered a large warehouse-like building which contains some sort of canteen. It could easily fit a hundred people, maybe 300-400 if they want it to be at maximum capacity.

There are currently 26 other people inside the building, which probably means that we are quite early I guess considering that the 10 people with us is from our part of the district, which probably has 1000-5000 residents.

But there could also be just other buildings like this or some kind that is also being used as the designated zones, I am not fully certain I guess.

A few soldiers are stationed around the doors, armed with a gun that he can only assume as rapid firing.

I decide to sit on the table that is just one table away from the stationed soldiers, thinking that it would probably deter any form of aggression or conflict involvement from his former group.

It is best to remain silent and avoid any chaos I think, I probably should just pay attention to the TV just in case there is useful information about the effects of the system.

Someone came into the building a few minutes later, calling for someone’s name within the crowd. She also came with someone that has some kind of a lizard’s tail, a patch of scales that covers the exposed part of her neck, extending until her jaw, only leaving her face with no scales.

Eventually, time passes till 1 hour and 27 minutes later and my name got called. And the people inside the building are already 145.

It is about time that I got called I guess. I am getting a bit bored from just sitting on this green plastic chair with a similarly green plastic table, as much as it is fascinating to observe the mystical changes on the bodies of my fellow changed ones.

“Sir Mikael Amorous, please come here”

I stand up like it is the usual towards the woman with a lab coat, but before I could even take a few steps towards her, the TV showed something alarming.

“We are currently within the National Capital Region, at which just experienced massive explosions that destroyed huge swathes of lands. There also seems to be an unknown force that is currently attacking civilians and engaging the military.

For now, there is no clear value as to the damages that the NCR have received and the estimated time at which the hostile forces can be neutralized.

According to witnesses, the invading forces seems to be wearing armor that has designs derived from plants or looks like wood, they hold metal swords and have been said to be capable of summoning sharp roots from the ground and dangerously fast winds.

Though according to the government, there has seems to be just some malfunction within the military bases, causing the explosion.

Though it is not certain whether the civilians or the government, lies or not. It is up to the public for what they would believe.” A male reporter says in quick succession, with the background that looks like it is near the border of the NCR.

That quick report seems to have eliminated the chatty atmosphere of the building, leaving behind only nothing but a suffocating silence.

This report also attracted the attention of the woman with the lab coat, her eyes filled with a rising terror, just like most of the people inside the building.

=====

This has been observed across the world’s dense urban areas, with explosions that vary in size and color. Their damages and ferocity is relative to the size and density of the attacked areas.

But the most notable of these events are the ones in these specific areas or countries: The Eastern Part of the US, Central Region of China, Argentine-Brazilian Border, Central Africa near Nigeria, Eastern Poland, and Central Region of India.

In these areas, gargantuan rifts have appeared in empty space or through structures. Enormous compared to their counterparts in the less populated areas of the world, which is especially highlighted on China’s and India’s Rifts.

These rifts spew out beings of some kind, beings that is both foreign and familiar to the human that lives on earth.

In China, their rift seems to be occupied by demons. They take the form of flaming dogs, dark wyverns, and horned humanoids with fangs that puts lions to shame.

The rift also seems to give off dark-red energy that corrupts the lands near it, and slowly expanding on its own while the demonic creatures proceeds to hunt down anything on sight.

In India, their rift has a similar occupant. But theirs is more, dark in nature. They have horrifying ghosts, ivory-white skeletons, and armored dark knights.

This rift too also emits some kind of energy, but this one is dark in color, and seems to take the form of a dark smoke instead of the fiery nature of the demonic rift in China.

In the US, the rift is different from the ones in India and China. The moment it appeared, it let out a barrage of light, making it look like a meteor shower happened in broad daylight.

This light would then descend and explode on impact, which brought a higher initial damage than its counterparts in China and India due to its longer range.

Humans with golden wings on their backs would then cross from the rift, they wield golden weapons of all kinds, and wore golden armor. They look like something that would make up the army of heaven if there is one.

Except, they would proceed to conquer the nearby lands and crush the military stationed in the area.

The US rift would occasionally release another rain of light that would bombard the surroundings. The remnants of the explosions would then emit golden energy, slowly changing the natural composition of the surrounding atmosphere.

The rest of the world will experience more and more chaos as the rifts increase in number, each with their own creatures, though not as strong as the 6 Great Rifts.

<System Interface>

Premature Interplanetary Invasions! Activating Support Measures!

Support Bonuses:

25% damage against Non-Earthlings

25% defense against Non-Earthlings

50% Exp gain for Earthlings

Bonuses will last for 3 months

World Status:

Mana Integration Accelerated!

Mana Integration Complete!

Monster Spawning Activated!

Normal Creatures Spawning Activated!

Local Wildlife Enhancement!

<System Interface>

The forested areas of the world suddenly experienced a massive growth in plant and animal life, after the system announcement. The trees started growing rapidly like they just got injected with steroids, while the animals became more ferocious and strong.

This would cause devastating damage on the infrastructure of the world, as the wires connecting the world’s communications is being reclaimed and cut by nature.

A massive devastation for global communications when the under the sea cables seems to have been ripped apart by manic fishes, and ferocious sea plants.

Unnatural looking creatures started appearing within every biome, including a weird and fast increase in normal animals which just served to be prey to the new and strong predators.

Giant eagles, snakes, tigers, boars, and others started devastating the rural areas, including the urban areas that did not have a rift activated within their borders.

While those with natural mana sensing capabilities, felt the massive increase in mana levels within the atmosphere.

A new era descends upon the Planet Earth, an era of blood and power.

=====

This is… an interesting development.

After a few moments, the lady with the lab coat finally broke out of her fear about the situation.

“Uhhh, please stay here Sir Amorous for some time. I will just talk about my superior about something that I just remembered.” She did not do well if that is supposed to reassure the people here.

After that, she hastily started walking back to where she was escorting the others.

The building’s originally chatty presence returned, though it is closer to being restless.

“What the heck was that? Is our world really falling apart that far?”

“Maybe it is just fake news or something?”

“That is some denial right there”

And here I thought this is gonna be slightly more normal, this day is getting even confusing.

Suddenly, Mikael or rather everyone on the building received a notification from the system.

It is a notification about there being premature invasions and bonuses to the planet.

This further increased the restlessness of the room, though it is just simmering, still far from a boiling point.

A few minutes later, almost all the guards suddenly looked like they just received a message from the device in their ear.

“Everyone! Stay here! There are some matters that we need to attend to!” One of the guards say, and they all started leaving, as if the things that they heard is greatly more important than maintaining order within the building.

After the guards left, everyone seems to have become more unrestricted and less tense, but not any less agitated about what they heard but seems to have increased instead.

A few minutes later, a soldier came back to the room. And it is not a clean return, especially with the bangs that followed when the doors is opened.

“Everyone! Follow me!” He yells, looking like he is out of breath. His once unblemished uniform now has splashes of blood from an unknown source.

“Oi! What’s happening!” Suddenly, someone yelled at the guards command, giving voice to one of everyone’s concerns within the building.

“Just follow if you want to live!”

Suddenly, a gust of winds suddenly came. And the next thing we saw is the soldier is on the ground with a bird as big as his upper body, and what seems to be the wingspan longer than the soldier.

Everyone froze, as the eagle dug out one of the soldier’s eye. Only to be swatted away by the soldier, this seems to have broken everyone’s stupor and caused them to rapidly go towards the exits of the building.

Most of them tried to help the soldier, with the farther ones from the guard’s position just going to the nearest exit to them.

But the attempts at helping would be futile when the large bird regained composure, and pecked at the soldier’s head again while he cries in pain at his empty eye socket.

The large bird pecked at the poor man until it reached the brain and even damaged it, only then that it got tackled by the nearest to the soldier. The large bird would peck at the head of one, but would eventually get overwhelmed with numerous kicks, causing it to fly away.

The soldier is barely conscious, breathing labored with the blood from his wound dying his face with a sickly red.

“Forget what I just said, just close the doors and wait for a few hours. A- urgghahhh!” He seems to have momentarily let the pain get to him.

“Just hide till the bird swarm gets away. Also, please kill me, I am already a goner, too mu-“

He loses consciousness, though Mikael is not sure if he is still alive. A puddle of blood starts forming on the floor.

Some vomited on the floor while others looked away from the corpse, this lasted for a few seconds till someone had the courage to speak.

“You heard what he said, we need to close the doors” A middle-aged woman said to the rest of the group, causing some people to move to close the doors of the building.

Some also closed the small doors near the counter of this building, and judging by the looks. It seems to be a cafeteria that got taken out of service just for the purpose of housing us.

To everyone’s horror, a large bird landed in front of the building, and another, and another. We can see it because the doors are made out of glass. Suddenly they all started banging at the glass frantically, like they have no care for what damage the birds may incur as long as they can reach us.

I started running towards the front doors till I got near enough to the corpse, and dropped down to its level.

I inserted something into the skull and into the brain of the soldier. Suddenly, Mikael’s body goes limp despite the birds already cracking the glass doors.

<System Interface>

Abandoned human body!

Inhabiting the main body!

Gained 1 Level! You are now Level 1

<System Interface>

I can see nothing but darkness, though it is closer to nothingness which doesn’t feel dark, but he can feel the nutrients surrounding him, especially the gentle caresses of something mystical.

So this is what a seed feels!

Yes, he is now a seed. Inside the brain of someone.

 

 

 

 

10