Chapter 36 – Fourth and fifth floor
10.9k 20 351
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maya was in an excellent mood after she cleared the third floor of the dungeon all on her own. Looking forward to a reward of her choice from Sophia for this accomplishment, she teased the girl with it while descending to the fourth floor.

This stage was somewhat different from the others, though. Realizing what exactly this place was, not to mention the monsters in there, the cat-girl's smile had vanished in an instant.

"Uuh, it was n-nice and all, this dungeon exploring but don't you think this was enough? R-Right?!" She had tears in the corners of her eyes, and her face turned pale, almost like a ghost. This was also the keyword for this floor.

Instead of a maze-like area like the previous ones, this floor was one big open space, though it was wrapped into an eerie and thick layer of fog. Looking closely, countless gravestones could be seen, but that wasn't the worst thing. Multiple blue spheres with fire-like properties were floating in the air, and semi-translucent beings wafted through the fog. At the same time, howling echoed all over the graveyard-like place.

"Ohh~, looks fun!" Unfortunately, Sophia wasn't sharing her opinion.

"N-No!" The cat-girl's face was a textbook example of the word despair. "I-I hate g-ghosts!" Her tail and ears were tightly clinging to her body as she hid behind Sophia's back while furiously trembling. "P-Please-, Please let's go back!" Even more tears formed as she was pleading to her.

"…" Unaware of it, Maya caused the opposite effect on her with this reaction. "C-Cute…" Seeing the cat-girl being this scared and frightened had flipped some weird switch inside Sophia again because the gap in Maya's personality was too big, and she started walking forward.

"Noooo!" Her desperate scream had easily overpowered the creepy howling in the area. Having no choice because she didn't want to be left alone at all costs right now, Maya very reluctantly followed the girl while she continued to tightly clutch onto the hem of Sophia's shirt.

"It's sooo cool here!" She was having a good time.

"Uuh, w-why are you no good with spyders, but g-ghosts and stuff are fine?!"

"You seemed to be fine with them instead? Isn't it basically the same, then?"

"B-But ghosts are s-scary!"

"And spyders are nasty!" The two agreed to disagree.

"WuuUuuh" An eerie howl could be heard from very close to the group.

"Eeek!" Unable to bear it anymore, Maya clung with her entire body against Sophia's back as closely as she could.

"…" This move caused her some damage as well. Mentally, at least. The cat-girl tightly hugging her, the feel of her soft body and the warmth radiating from it, together with her extreme shivering for an interesting bonus experience, it was a little too much. "M-Maya, it's kinda h-hard to move…" She tried a more elegant approach to stop her before becoming too embarrassed.

"I don't care!" Instead, she only increased her clinging.

"I-Is that so?" Sophia's mouth twitched. She wasn't particularly angry, far from it, but she was getting nervous due to their closeness.

"C-Can we go now? Like, really…?"

"B-But I want to explore some more."

"Uuh…" Maya was about to fully cry.

"F-Fine," She started to feel guilty, seeing how affected the cat-girl was. "F-Fen, I imagine light magic to be effective? Am I right with that?"

"Indeed. The ghosts and other spectral-based beings will vanish instantly with powerful light magic. Actually, I think this also might be the only way to leave this floor. It feels like the fog is of magical origin and somehow makes it impossible to find the next stairs."

"Good." Having confirmation, she literally turned on the light on the floor.

"G-GuuUuhHhh…" As the entire place was bathed in bright light, anguished voices came from every corner, but these were gone for good soon after. Even the fog had mostly disappeared, leaving only the tombstones and some dead and half-rotten trees in the graveyard-y place behind.

"It's fine now, Maya."

"H-Huh?" She gingerly opened her eyes and hesitatingly glanced around. "Haaaaa…" With a massive sigh, the cat-girl let go of her back and fell on her knees, looking very relieved. "T-Thank you so very much! I'll be grateful to you… for the rest of my life!"

"I-It was that bad?!" Sophia was shocked by her reaction.

"Y-Yes…" The corners of Maya's eyes were still wet with tears.

"I'm sorry for waiting so long then." She felt guilty because she wanted to leisurely explore everything and even teased her when she was this frightened. "Scared Maya made me a little excited..." Those words were barely audible.

"N-No, I shouldn't have freaked out this much…"

"That's not true. Everyone has things they aren't good at dealing with. I have, uhh, quite a lot of them, actually. Ahaha…" She made a self-deprecating laugh. "Just earlier, I completely lost it with these spyders."

"You really did." The answer came instantly.

"Geh! A-Anyway, I feel bad for not watching you properly or rather, simply ignoring it… or even enjoying it..." Sophia mumbled the last parts only. "I want to make up for it!"

"Ah, then you simply have to always look just at me in the future." The cat-girl had recovered enough to get back at her.

"W-Wha-?!" The way she worded it had a big effect on Sophia. The cat-girl's slight grin, combined with her up-pointing and twitchy tail, wasn't helping either. "T-That's a little…" She wouldn't last long if she were to actually do that. "H-How about you can ask for two things as your reward for clearing the previous floor?"

"Yes!" She almost answered before Sophia finished her suggestion. "I-I mean, you don't have to, but I'll humbly agree to your generous offer."

"There was nothing humble about your reaction!" She couldn't stay still on this one.

"Oh, can I also make one super request instead of two normal ones?"

"I really, absolutely, super don't like the sound of that. Not even a little bit!"

"That's a no, then?" Maya innocently tilted her head while giving her a little wink.

"Feel free to make an even cuter face, but my answer will remain a big, fat no!" She was too scared about the super request to care about her own wording.

"E-Ehehe~." Said wording caused a great smile to appear on Maya's face.

"Hmm?" Sophia couldn't interpret her reaction until she noticed that she had just openly commented on Maya's cuteness in the heat of the moment. Again. It was from the first time this happened. "A-Anyway, let's go to the next floor. This one has nothing of interest left a-anymore, after all." She quickly changed the subject.

"Sure." Having agreed, the two girls made their way towards the stairs at the other end of the graveyard. Fen quietly followed them without saying a word, not wanting to interrupt them, or worse, get involved in whatever they were doing.

----------------

"Huh?" Sophia was confused when the group finished descending the stairs. "What's this all about?"

"That's a good question." Just as much, Maya, too, was confused. The group suddenly found themselves in a huge yet empty room.

"Oh, is this a boss-room?!" She suddenly became excited.

"Boss-room?" Both, the cat-girl and the wolf had no idea what she was talking about.

"F-Forget it!" Embarrassed, Sophia turned her head away. "B-But what is this room, then?"

"Hmm… Ah!" Maya concentrated her gaze at the far-away other side of the dimly lit room and found a hint. "There's something written on a stone plate on that wall!"

"Really? Let's go and have a look!" With Sophia in the lead, they walked towards the mysterious sign to find out what was going on.

"…" Reading the contents of the inscription, the group fell silent, unable to find any fitting words.

 


 

Welcome, idiots,

 
congratulations on having made it to the end of this pointless dungeon. That massive strength of yours sure is wasted. Not even realizing that there was no reason to advance this far is just… I don't even…
Why would anyone go deeper than the third floor? Especially because there are only monsters who are pointlessly strong and all of the nasty kind.

I created this place during an afternoon where I was really bored and never bothered finishing it.
Never added any rewards or fun things to it. Ah, the welcome traps were enjoyable, though~.

Not that anyone would ever read this anyway… Ahaha, nobody would be that stupid, after all.

 

Greetings, Canir


 

P.S. If anyone actually really reads this… AHAHAHA!
There is an exit behind that rock over there.
Feel free to use it, unless you're so stupid and want to go all the way back, though.

 

 

"…" Their silence went on for a little longer.

"Err, Canir?" Maya was lost in thoughts. "I think I've heard that name before. I can't remember where, though…"

"…" Fen's ears twitched, but he remained silent.

"What the- !" Sophia snapped. "Are you kidding me?! I don't know who or what you are, but I'll find you, and I will punch you, Canir! Fen, add their name to my to-do list!"

"Uhm, s-sure…" He didn't have to, actually. The wolf knew that Canir was the overseer who brought her to this world, and he already was on said list.

"Seriously!" Her anger was still rising. "So, this place's just some kind of joke?! Something they build on a slow Tuesday afternoon?!"

"C-Calm down, Sophia. I do share the sentiment, though…" Maya wasn't exactly happy either. "B-But, the sign at the entrance did say don't bother, right? There were some hints."

"But not something like that?!" She wasn't bothered by her wasted time. The reason why she had wasted it was the problem.

"T-That's… true." The cat-girl had no comeback.

"Well, what's done is done." Fen tried to defuse the situation. "Let's just forget about it and leave this place already. I miss the fresh air."

"M-Me, too."

"Sure, you two go ahead. I have a little something left to do here." She had a nasty expression.

"S-Sophia?"

"It won't take long."

"B-But!"

"Don't worry, I'm perfectly calm." She reassured Maya. The aura around the girl said something different, though.

"Oh no." Fen knew what that meant. Still, once he realized that she could go wild here without having to regret it later on, the wolf thought it might not be such a bad idea after all. "Let's let her have this, Maya." He started pushing her towards the hidden exit.

"A-Are you sure? Isn't she about to go out of control?" She doubted his decision.

"Yeah, let her blow off some steam in an enclosed area where she can't accidentally influence the population count of the world."

"Ahh…" The cat-girl finally understood his intention.

"I'll be coming in a couple of minutes~." Sophia waved after the two with a terrifying expression.

----------------

About 20 minutes passed since they had parted. Fen and Maya were currently waiting for the slightly angry girl on a tranquil plain that the secret exit had let them to. Sophia eventually returned while looking extremely exhausted but also satisfied for some reason.

"G-Girl, what happened to your magic power?!" Fen noticed that he could only sense a fraction of her powers at the moment.

"I've emptied it." Her voice was as calm as it could be.

"W-Wha-?! W-What have you done?"

"Let's talk about that later. But for now, Fen, could you please go back to your normal size and let Maya ride on your back? We have to get away from here right now, and as far as possible… Two kilometers should be enough… or maybe three? Yeah, let's do that. Four kilometers, that is."

"H-Huh?! Okay, sure." Doing as told, Fen transformed, and Maya got on his back before he quickly ran away while Sophia was running alongside him.

Having arrived at the distance the girl asked for, Sophia turned around and watched the plain they had fled from.

"It should happen in a couple of minutes now."

"Girl, really, what have you done?! What happened to all of your magic power?!"

"The usual, actually. I've turned the air into almost pure oxygen and used my magic power as fuel, but… I've flooded the insides of the dungeon with my entire magic power. I also closed off every entrance of the dungeon so that nothing of it can escape. The fire trap I placed should go off soon."

"A-Are you-?! Your entire magic power?!" The wolf was visibly distressed.

"Yes."

"Run!" Fen threw Maya on his back again in a panic and broke into a sprint, running much faster than before.

"What is wrong?" Sophia was next to him and didn't understand why he was in such a hurry.

"You idiot!"

"Ehh?" She didn't like the treatment.

The group managed to increase their distance by another six to seven kilometers because Fen had insisted on running their absolute fastest when it finally happened. It began with a low growling noise, which quickly expanded into a full-blown explosion. A short moment later, before the group had even the chance to look at the scene, they were hit by a powerful shockwave. It was so strong that it almost blew them off their feet, or paws.

"Uhh…" Sophia awkwardly turned around, looking like a broken robot in the process to get a glimpse of what she'd done. "O-Ohh!" The entire plain, including the place they first evacuated to, was gone. It had turned into a gigantic crater. Debris was still flying through the air, and the area was wrapped in a thick layer of dust and smoke. "I, uhh, may have overdone it a little bit…" Awkwardly scratching her cheek was about the only thing she could do at the moment.

"You…" Fen only stared at her.

"What-, What just happened?" Maya was still processing the events.

"Sophia… is what happened." The wolf couldn't think of a better explanation.

"Fen, you idiot!" It was the cat-girl who complained.

"Why me?!"

"You're the one that let her go wild, saying she should have her fun!"

"Urgh!"

"You know that stuff like this happens when you leave her unsupervised!"

"T-That's-," Fen was backed into a corner. "H-How could I have known that she'd do something this insane…?"

"H-Hey, I'm right here in front of you…"

"Shut up!" The two were in perfect sync when telling off Sophia, though.

And just like that, a big piece of land had forever vanished, thanks to the anger of a single girl. A dungeon was destroyed as well, but that one most likely won't be missed.

351