Chapter 13: Floor 5, Ashen Flame
1.7k 8 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13: Floor 5, Ashen Flame

 

I looked around for the owner of the ominous voice, yet saw nothing. Something must be out there. I decided to hit the button anyways, and expected Skye to come out. She wasn’t there, though I was still able to access the store. The store still only sold F-rank equipment, so I decided to stock up on some health potions. I was curious about how much my new necklace would trade in for, so I checked; 2500 points. Of course, with the stats it possessed, it had to be worth at least that much. I gripped the ‘Medallion of the Goblin Kingdom’, and internally thanked Karafil again.

 


 

“First…” I spoke to Karafil Crownkeeper, “Let’s have an easy conversation. What’s your story, you, Kirbel, and Salazar? I’m curious.”

 

“Interesting,” Karafil said. “Asking a question about us. Fine. My story is simple, my late Royal Father was the great king. He ruled justly, and I sought to be like him. I was sent to a school for military training, while also training here on royal and political matters. At the military school, I met Kirbel. You wouldn’t believe it, but he is a genius tactician. We grew closer, even though it was because of him that father would punish me for not achieving the top place.”

 

He then looked towards the ceiling, “Two years later, I set out with father as he went to expand our land. He was fighting against the Kra’il at the time, and he found out about a powerful child. His ability with magic was outstanding. My father… killed the child’s village and took him to use for the kingdom’s benefit. That child was Salazar. We were all similarly aged, and I was intrigued by a race different than my own. A bond grew between us. Then recently, a lot of distraught began in the kingdom. My father stopped seeing to the citizens. He made strange requests, and these requests stopped being in favor of the kingdom.”

 

I nodded at his story. “That is quite simplified.”

 

He smiled weakly, “Ruling a kingdom is a lot more tiring than I’ve expected. Next?”

 

“Mm. Second, what exactly are shades? Demons?”

 

“No. Far worse than demons. Demons at least come from our world, but shades—they are invaders. Invaders of pure evil. Did you know, Zeryn, that there are other worlds besides ours? Shades, they invade worlds and corrupt the powerful, they want to take the world for themselves, and then they will move to another. They seek only destruction, and to absorb the core energy retained in the world—or so the stories say.”

 

“So the stories say?” I asked.

 

“Indeed. We have no proof that such beings truly come from other worlds. What proof we do have is that they corrupt and possess, as we have witnessed here. What is your last question?”

 

I thought for a second, but I still needed an answer that I had originally came for. “How did Zilmazil travel between floors? NPCs shouldn’t be able to—”

“NPCs? What are those?” Karafil seemed confused. “Of course we can move along our kingdom as we want. Though our world has been divided due to—” I could see his mouth keep moving, but I couldn’t hear him. I kept hearing a thunderous ringing in my ears instead.

 

[System Notice: Error. Your wisdom is too low.]

 

I threw my hands over my ears, squeezing my head. Karafil came over to me, asking if I was okay. At least I could hear that. As he stepped back, he muttered, “You really should read those books—you don’t even know our basic history..?”

 

“Yes, thanks, Your Majesty. Thank you for answering my questions as well.”

 

“Before you set off,” he spoke, “take this. It will convince most Goblins and even some others to think twice about regarding you differently. Remember your oath.” I looked at what he handed me. It wasn’t quite bad. Though, charisma doesn’t help me any.

 

[Medallion of the Goblin Kingdom (Rank: C)] - A medallion showing great status in the Goblin Kingdom. Most Goblins will not try to cause problem to those with ownership of this medallion. Provides Charisma +5, Willpower +5. Increases the rate at which your wisdom increases.]

 

[System Notice: You started learning a new ability through {Assimilation}: ???. Status: (1/??)]

 

[System Notice: Quest reward received. EXP +2500]

 

Gulp. That was a large chunk of experience. I’m just under halfway to level seven now. I said my goodbyes to the new king, Karafil Crownkeeper, and headed to the dungeon.

 


 

[???: Welcome—to my hell!]

 

...Why is it repeating itself? I left the shop menu. I quickly looked over my status before I headed to the door. I started pushing the door open.

 

[???: Welcome—to my—]

 

“Oh. My. God. Just stop already! I get it!” I yelled out. It was quite annoying.

 

[???: Mere human! You dare?!]

 

I stood there and blinked a few times. These words—they sound a little… familiar? “Oh well.” I started walking across the bridge. I was headed for the platform. Magma boiled around me, and the air smelled like ash. I wasn’t really affected by the temperature, wondrously. I came to the platform, but no matter where I looked, I saw no enemy.

 

Floor five—every fifth floor is supposed to have a quest. Although hardcore has been different… what is going on here? As I was thinking to myself, a system notification appeared.

 

[System Notice: Are you ready to begin your challenge? Y,N]

 

Challenge? “System, info. Please.”

 

[System: You have been placed on a ‘Challenge Floor’. The rules of these floors are different. Would you like to hear the rules of this floor?]

 

“Yes.”

 

[System Notice: Challenge Floor: Fire. You have five attempts at succeeding against your enemy. After five attempts, you lose a life. Rewards differ depending on attempt success.

  1. First attempt success: Three rewards.
  2. Second attempt success: Two rewards.
  3. Third attempt success: One reward.
  4. Fourth attempt success: Chance at one reward.
  5. Fifth attempt success: Nothing.

Be careful not to fall, as you forfeit an attempt and must start over. This challenge requires you to kill your enemy. Your enemy has… 1000 HP.]

 

[???: Welcome—to my—]

[System Notice: Are you ready to begin your challenge? Y,N]

[???: ...you…]

 

Did the system just cut it off? “Yes, begin challenge.”

 

[???: Finally!]

 

Suddenly, the ash in front of me began conglomerating. It joined together, and a gray, red, smoldering figure was coming into being. Its body hued a dark red, and it had a flame upon its head. It had a beard of embers, and it stood there before me with arms crossed as its burning feet began the descent to the platform, crisping the earthen arena.

 

[Fire Spirit, Aurel, Spawn of the Ashen Flame, Lv10]

 

[System Notice: Challenge mode initiated, HP 1000/1000.]

 

I looked at the four foot spirit in front of me. Tiny, but dangerous. It spread its arms apart and fire from its fingertips morphed into balls.

 

And oh did he speak. The voice did not match his facade at all as he sounded like a prepubescent male, “Mere human! For interrupting me, I shall burn off that silver hair of yours! And then I’ll burn—”

 

I began moving. I kept my shield at the ready and ran at the spirit.

 

“You!” He tossed a fireball at me, but I jumped to the side to avoid it, then he threw the next. I really had to thank {Battle Prowess} for allowing my mind to keep up with the fight. I had two options. One, defend the attack with my kite as I closed in, getting a feel for this boss’s damage, or two, using blink now. I was not in any position to dodge again, as my agility was not yet high enough for back-to-back maneuvers. I also would only be able to blink once, then it’d be down for two minutes. The last level ten that I took a hit from was Sorofil, the old Goblin King, and even though he was being possessed, he still hit me for 500 damage through 20 Willpower. But I have fire resist, so I decided to block it.

 

[Biding Hellfire Rupture power at 200/260.]

 

Well, shit. With the fireball being at 400, I would have died already without this shield and fire resistance. If I absorb another fireball, I’ll end up taking 140 damage or so. That would barely leave me alive. It is a good thing I stocked up on health potions.

 

I neared the fire spirit, and decided to knock out a fifth of its health points. “Biding Hellfire Rupture!”

 

[Fire Spirit, Aurel, Spawn of the Ashen Flame takes 0 damage.]

 

[You took 50 damage from backlash. Current Health: 110/160]

 

I saw the spirit take in a breath, effectively sucking in my hellfire. Then, he breathed out as I started recovering from my attack. It was a breath attack. I activated {Shrouded Blink} to dodge it, and decided to blink above him. I delivered the spirit a blow.

 

[Sneak attack! Fire Spirit, Aurel, Spawn of the Ashen Flame, Lv10, takes 90 damage.]

 

11 more. The Fire Spirit quickly turned around and smacked at me. I blocked the attack.

 

[Biding Hellfire Rupture power at 150/260.]

 

His attack hit for 150. If I were to discharge now, I’d receive 38. I’d be at 70 something… But I’d be able to absorb his next attack. As {Battle Prowess} was helping me, I was met with fireballs back-to-back. I relied on instinct as I discharged my kite.

 

[You took 38 damage from backlash. Current Health: 72/160]

[Biding Hellfire Rupture power at 200/260.]

 

One fireball? I must have neutralized the first one—I didn’t know mechanics could work like this! I drank a small health potion, restoring 50 of my health. But as I was finishing, I could see him moving a leg back. He seemed to be partially crouched, and he brought his arms back to his side as he edged his hands together. He then began twisting them together as fire was created within his palms. It looked familiar for some reason.

 

He yelled, though it sort of sounded like a scream, too, “Raaaaaaahhhhh!” He threw his hands in front of him as they were open in a clawed fashion. A beam of fire was launched from within the maw, and it rushed at me.

 

[Biding Hellfire Rupture power at 260/260.]

[Shield unable to absorb damage due to fully charged power. You took 728 damage from Fire Spirit, Aurel, Spawn of the Ashen Flame, Lv10.]

[System Notice: You died.]

 

How is the length of fight scenes?
  • Too Long Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Too Short Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Fits The Story Votes: 66 84.6%
  • Other: Check Comments Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 78
28