27. Lord Ling Makes Amends
94 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My idol, my joy, my frozen popsicle man! I haven’t seen you for ages! 

Mei Yanran felt like crying tears of joy. She wasn’t surprised to run into Ling Fengxiao all of a sudden---if this was serendipity, it had to be guided by the Goddess of Fates and her helpful love strings. But first, she had to deal with the issue at hand.

“Yanran pays respects to Your Excellency Lord Ling!” she chirped with a bow. Whether it was age or status, this man outranked her in both. Even him calling her by her full name instead of “Miss Mei” was well within his rights. Such was the vast difference between the upper fourth ranks of officials versus everyone else.

“Yanran was simply on her way to the markets until I got lost. May I ask...why Lord Ling has chosen to attack me out of the blue?”

Ling Fengxiao’s eyebrows furrowed. Judging by her face, Mei Yanran looked surprised and even pleased to see him. How did that make any sense? A few seconds ago, her life had been in danger! Shouldn’t she be feeling afraid right now? But never mind that, I didn’t even plan the attack!

“Hah! I wasn’t aiming for you, girl, but your guard!” Now it was the black-robed figure’s turn to speak. He sat atop Ling Fengxiao’s carriage like a throne, one hand resting on a crossed leg while his other boot dangled over the rooftop’s edge. He glanced at Mei Yanran first, then looked approvingly at Chen Xiao. “Not bad, not bad! Your reflexes are good; you only need to wipe that ugly look off your face. It doesn’t do justice to your good looks, boy!”

Chen Xiao’s expression was completely black. “I’ll ask you not to threaten her ladyship’s safety, sir!”

“Still inexperienced, eh?” the old man snorted. “If you’d left her behind and fled on your own, she never would have faced those daggers!”

“I would never abandon her ladyship!” Chen Xiao snapped back.

That only seemed to make the hooded man laugh harder, but before he could reply, Ling Fengxiao had already lifted the curtains of his carriage and stepped outside.

“That’s enough, Gorge Fiend,” he stared simply.

“Ordering me around, are ya?!” the old man singsonged back. “You have some gall, whippersnapper!”

“You gave your word to behave in the capital city,” Ling Fengxiao replied calmly as he stepped onto the ground. His driver had already taken the initiative to place down the steps for him. “Of course you’ll keep to it?”

“Hahaha! So I did, so I did! I’m a fiend of my word, that’s for sure!” The old man chortled, seemingly proud of himself.

Chen Xiao shifted uncomfortably on his feet before half turning to murmur in Mei Yanran’s ear. “Young Miss, what’s wrong with that old man?”

Mei Yanran immediately tightened her grip around his arm. “Xiao Chen, be good and just watch for now, okay?

Despite his reservations, Chen Xiao nodded. Meanwhile, Mei Yanran’s heart was pounding in her chest. Of course Ling Fengxiao was to blame, but this old “Gorge Fiend” was no slouch either!

He was one of the jianghu’s foremost martial arts masters! One with potential to stand atop the martial arts world, and a future enemy-turned-mentor for the male lead Chu Yexuan!

As far as the plot went, when Wei Wanru and Chu Yexuan were fleeing the country for their lives after Crown Prince Chu Yeguang’s death, they’d ended up ambushed by enemies. Chu Yexuan managed to defeat them but was mortally poisoned in the process. Wei Wanru had found them cover in the valley forests, but the male lead was still on the verge of death. It wasn’t until they ran into the old eccentric Gorge Fiend that his life had been saved.

Gorge Fiend was a half-mad old kook with interest in only two things: confounding riddles and rare martial arts! Wei Wanru had first impressed him by solving all of his puzzles, thus convincing him to heal the male lead. Then Chu Yexuan had thoroughly wowed him with his latent talent, earning him an ally for life. Gorge Fiend even had a role in the all important battle for the royal throne!

On the contrary, anyone who offended or bored him was instantly killed without mercy. Before then now sat a literal time bomb. What in the world was he doing with Ling Fengxiao in the capital city a whole five story arcs early?!

What if he blew his top and injured or killed Ling Fengxiao instead?

Mei Yanran’s heart chilled at the thought and she quickly glanced at Ling Fengxiao again, worried for his safety. But the man was unperturbed as he stood quietly in front of his carriage with his hands behind his back.

“Miss Mei,” he began after a pause, reverting to formal speech. “Apologies on behalf of my guest, Gorge Fiend of the jianghu.”

He glanced up at the carriage roof, where the old man was humming a tune. “Gorge Fiend,” he continued, “Fifth Rank Official Mei Jingyan’s daughter, Mei Yanran.”

Mei Yanran’s worries instantly came crashing down into speechless shock. Don’t introduce us to each other! It’s fine if I don’t know him at all!

She stiffened as the old man’s sharp eyes swept over her, but soon he was staring at Chen Xiao again. “And this fellow?” he prodded. “What’s his name?”

Chen Xiao didn’t speak, still listening to Mei Yanran’s orders. Ling Fengxiao only looked at them both before fixing his gaze on Mei Yanran.

Such beautiful eyes… Mei Yanran felt wistful before she quickly regained her senses and hastened to explain. It wasn’t good to keep those boss types waiting.

“This is Xiao Chen, my guard.”

Gorge Fiend leaped off the carriage and sauntered his way over, causing Chen Xiao to instinctively shield Mei Yanran behind her. But as before, Gorge Fiend ignored the girl to peer with interest at her guard.

“You can fight, can’t you?” he asked. “Got a fair bit of speed too.”

Chen Xiao glared back stubbornly and didn’t reply.

“You don’t waste words either,” Gorge Fiend only laughed. “And that look in your eyes, hah! I like you, little brat!”

Chen Xiao only bristled and raised his guard. Unexpectedly, Gorge Fiend suddenly charged at him!

This time, he thought fast and darted off to the side on his own. The old man dutifully swerved to follow him, leaving Mei Yanran untouched. She looked after them in alarm.

“Xiao Chen, be careful!”

Yes, her guards and servants were all martial arts cheats, but that didn’t mean they could defeat a big boss with their skills! They lacked the experience and battles that had seen Gorge Fiend through victory after terrifying victory.

As if confirming her worst fears, Gorge Fiend soon caught up with Chen Xiao from above and caught him by the collar. The head guard struggled to break free, but the next second Gorge Fiend had leaped atop a wall and vanished from sight with his quarry.

“Xiao Chen!” Mei Yanran cried out uselessly.

Ling Fengxiao took this chance to cross his arms and look at her pointedly. “Mei Yanran, your guard stole away my guest.”

“Your guest kidnapped my guard!” Mei Yanran shot back. Who knew what kinds of things Gorge Fiend would do to Chen Xiao? He might be a figment, but he was from her imagination! This was like stealing her child away!

Ling Fengxiao was unperturbed. “Gorge Fiend will behave himself while he’s a guest in our capital.”

“How can you be so sure?!” Mei Yanran exclaimed back. “You don’t know the things he’s capable of doing!”

Abruptly, Ling Fengxiao narrowed his eyes. “And you do?”

“Of course! He’s--” Mei Yanran stopped mid-sentence, catching herself just in time. Right, what did she know of the infamous Gorge Fiend? She was just supposed to be some no-name daughter of a fifth-rank official fresh to the city!

Ling Fengxiao’s gaze was now fixated on her face. Mei Yanran coughed, then corrected, “He’s the kind of man who looks no good at first glance! Look at how loony he was behaving; it’s only natural that I’m worried for Xiao Chen!”

Ling Fengxiao said nothing, but his lips did quirk into a half-amused grin. Mei Yanran would appreciate it much more if she wasn’t panicking internally right now. “I, you--it’s not nice to stare at girls, you know!”

“Quite. You will have to pardon me for the offense,” Ling Fengxiao intoned, still wearing his smile. “In fact, this lord shall strive to make amends. Will you do me the favor of accompanying me to my estate, Miss Mei?”

Hah? Mei Yanran blinked. Was the man she liked really inviting her to his house? Wasn’t this exactly what she wished for? Even if it did seem a little too convenient…

“Um, Lord Ling, it isn’t proper for men and women to…”

“Hasn’t Miss Mei received permission from the Empress Dowager herself?” Ling Fengxiao interrupted smoothly. “His Excellency Gorge Fiend agreed to come to my estate. I am certain he will show up there sooner or later with your guard. In the meantime, I can show you the grounds while we await their arrival.”

Well, I guess that doesn’t sound too bad, Mei Yanran mused as she began to waver.

“Miss Mei can sit inside the carriage while I remain with the driver outside,” Ling Fengxiao went on. “There will be no speck of dust to stain your good name.”

Ling Fengxiao really thinks of everything! Mei Yanran thought. If she was inside the carriage, no one would see her. She could go freely into the Ling Estate without worrying about errant eyes or loose tongues.

“Very well, I accept your offer,” Mei Yanran nodded and stepped towards the carriage. Ling Fengxiao made way and even helped her up, sending an electric thrill through her fingers when they touched. 

Soon enough, he had taken a seat by the driver and ordered him to drive on home with Mei Yanran safely ensconced inside.

It was, Ling Fengxiao mused as they turned off towards his estate, As easy as luring a songbird with a handful of seeds.

2