25. Same Song, Different Tune
116 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei Wanru, Chu Yexuan, and Chu Yeguang found themselves paying attention to different details of the sudden spectacle.

Isn't that the little beggar boy? Are those people hurt?! Wei Wanru didn't think twice before running towards the fallen victims.

She went to see them. Maybe I can go and help out... Chu Yexuan followed her automatically. 

What is Shuyang thinking, dawdling about here? Though it'd be remiss of me as a gentleman to leave that lady lying on the ground. Chu Yeguang privately recalled her coquettish screams and felt a flash of heat before he trailed after the other two.

By now, Li Siyan had managed to sit upright and glare at the ruffian who'd knocked her down. She was in a sorry state, with her cloak rumpled, hair a mess, and a red mark on her cheek where she'd been kicked. Her eyebrows were creased tight, her expression a mix of agony and anger as she cradled her injured wrist. 

"Young M-Miss, are you alright?" Next to her, the servant girl crawled to her knees while clutching her nose in pain, blinking back tears.

"Good-for-nothing imbecile!" Li Siyan hissed back, shooting her servant a furious glare. "Do you have beans for brains? Or were you simply planning to murder me outright?"

"Young Miss, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" the servant girl bowed furiously from the ground. "I didn't---I didn't mean to slip, it was an accident!"

Too irritated to bother with the girl, Li Siyan reached out with her left hand and caught the beggar boy's wrist as he scrambled on the ground next to her. "And you! What do you think you're doing? You clumsy oaf, you knocked me over!"

"Leggo!" The boy tried to wrest himself free, but Li Siyan had a vise-like grip. The more he pulled, the more she pulled back. He managed to knock her loose with the package of medicine in one hand, but Li Siyan was quick to grab the paper parcel instead. There was a loud rippppp before the already damaged bundle split in two, scattering its contents on the dirty, half-frozen earth. Wei Wanru, Chu Yexuan, and Chu Yeguang witnessed the unfortunate shower of herbs and precious ingredients just as they caught up to the scene.

The reason that Li Siyan was "late" to crash into the beggar boy this time was simple. In the original novel, Wei Wanru had time to talk to the boy and ask after him. In this one, she'd simply paid for his goods before Chu Yexuan's call distracted her. The beggar boy hadn't wanted to linger around the two rich-looking young masters, so he'd simply turned and walked away. Because of that, Chen Xiao had to forcibly drag Li Siyan forward to make the collusion happen.

Mei Yanran quietly patted her chest as she watched from the shadows. Thank goodness we made it in time! Even if the Goddess of Fates had said that major events in the story wouldn't change, Mei Yanran didn't want to risk missing the little events that led up to them. Maybe Li Siyan would've crashed into the beggar boy at another part of the markets, maybe she and Wei Wanru would clash over something else instead. But rather than relying on the unpredictable, Mei Yanran wanted the storyline to proceed as normally as possible so she could know what would happen next!

"Are you alright?!" Wei Wanru exclaimed first. Then she got a good look at Li Siyan's face and gave a visible start.

Li Siyan recognized Wei Wanru at the same time before displeasure flashed across her face. She finally let go of the beggar boy, who dove towards the ground in panic to collect his ruined medicine. But her retort died on her lips when she saw the two men behind her rival.

Why is she with them?!

"Y-Your Highnesses!" What should have been another snarl turned into a breathy murmur. Combined with Li Siyan's flushed face and the traces of tears in her eyes, it was quite the pretty, pitiful sight. "Siyan is...Siyan feels contrite, to be before you both in this state." She attempted to get up, but involuntarily cried out in pain when she accidentally placed weight on her injured wrist. Her servant girl hastened to help her up into a kneeling position.

"Your Highnesses?" Wei Wanru echoed as she cast a glance back at the princes. Now the familiar features made sense, and she instantly fell to her knees. "Wanru was unaware that Your Highnesses were traveling incognito today. May Your Highnesses forgive Wanru, I mean no disrespect."

"Since we're supposed to be incognito, there's no need to bow," Chu Yexuan said with a smile at Wei Wanru. "Right, brother?"

"Hm," Chu Yeguang murmured absently and stepped forward towards Li Siyan. "Miss Li, please rise. You as well, Miss Wei and---that boy there." He had been standing closer to Wei Wanru, but it was Li Siyan that he personally helped to him feet. Naturally, Chu Yexuan was all too happy to follow his lead and help Wei Wanru up as well. 

Mei Yanran gave a mental snort at that. His preferences are soooo predictable.

Meanwhile, the beggar boy remained frozen on the ground with the knowledge of the two gentlemen's identities. I knew it, guys are nothing but trouble! First the one who got sick, and now these two princes out of nowhere!

Li Siyan hid the slight twinge of annoyance in her heart as she gingerly rose to her feet. "What brings Your Highnesses here?" She couldn't help but cast a lingering glance at Chu Yexuan, who was giving Wei Wanru a friendly smile that made her chest itch.

Chu Yexuan glanced at Chu Yeguang, who merely brushed the dirt off Li Siyan's sleeve with a gentle and elegant gesture. "A minor matter. Even the coldest winter months can offer fleeting glimpses of flowers before the spring." 

He should write a book of poetry, Mei Yanran thought as she silently rolled her eyes.

Even though Mei Yanran had caught Chu Yeguang's eye, he'd shown interest in Li Siyan long before her and was inclined to treat her well now. Still, his tender words were full of nothing but vague phrasing. Li Siyan didn't take them to heart either, but lowered her eyes as she withdrew her hand, still stealing glimpses at her crush standing next to that hateful girl.

As if feeling the heat of her scrutiny, Wei Wanru quickly withdrew her hand from Chu Yexuan's as well, choosing to approach the beggar boy instead. "How about you? Are you alright?"

"It looked like quite the fall," Chu Yexuan piped up quickly.

Li Siyan couldn't resist an sniffle and a pained look as she clutched her right wrist. "It was a frightful crash! How horrid of that boy, I nearly broke my wrist!"

Chu Yeguang's gaze shifted to the boy with a disinterested look, skimming the child's rags from head to toe. "Oh? You can't expect such rough sorts to be anything but violent."

"That's right! If I didn't have to buy some things myself, I'd hardly set foot in this shabby district!" Li Siyan huffed next. "You can separate the beggar from the slums, but not the slums from the beggar! It's fortunate he's only a boy---I expect he would have robbed me as well if he was any bigger!"

Wei Wanru's lips thinned at the veiled accusations from them both. "He's bringing medicine home to his big brother. If he crashed into you, it must have been because he was in a hurry."

"And I suppose you think that makes it alright," Li Siyan shot back bitterly. "If a war song can be a peace song, why can't a crash be simply a ill-intentioned accident?" It was obvious she was still harboring a grudge from Wei Wanru's performance at the Snow Festival. 

"Miss Li is quite perceptive, I agree with your words completely," Wei Wanru replied without a hint of irony.

Li Siyan only sneered. "You really are a talented little wordsmith, Miss Wei."

Wei Wanru only quirked her lips into a smile despite the sudden fire in her eyes. "The House of Li is indeed the masters of rites and etiquette. Miss Li has praised me over much."

"You!" Li Siyan forced out a smile between gritted teeth. On the surface, both women were quite civil and polite, but the two men by their side could clearly sense the surrounding temperatures plummeting at an alarming rate. The frosty atmosphere might have spread throughout the entire capital if not for the beggar boy, who gave an anxious tug on Wei Wanru's sleeve.

"Big sis, the medicine's all ruined!" 

His voice snapped Wei Wanru back to her senses, and she creased a brow. That's right, we have to get him a new pack of medicine! Frost Fever can't afford the wait!

"It's alright," she reassured the boy. "The ingredients aren't rare, so we can find a shopkeeper to make us another package."

"Big sis..." the boy hesitated, before his eyes shone. "I'll definitely tell big bro to pay you back!"

"No need for that, saving lives is more important." Wei Wanru patted the boy's head.

By this time, Chu Yeguang was already growing bored of the situation and kept casting glances around for signs of his guards. Chu Yexuan, on the other hand, was filled with admiration as he sighed. "It's really true what they say about doctors having a good heart! Miss Wei, you're not only skilled in medicine, but kind as well!"

Li Siyan furrowed her brows.

Wei Wanru only shook her head with a faint smile. "I've told you before, Your Highness---I'm no doctor, only somewhat knowledgeable in herbs."

Li Siyan next frowned.

Chu Yexuan only felt his silent esteem increase. "You're really being too mod---"

"Hold it!"

The sharp, clear voice cut like a knife through the air. Everyone turned to see Li Siyan staring at Wei Wanru, her face flushed red. The sight only seemed to amuse Wei Wanru further as she tilted her head towards the girl.

"Yes, Miss Li?"

Li Siyan gave her a heated glare before looking straight back at Chu Yexuan. "I was the one that the boy ran into, so I'm the one at fault. If there's anyone who's going to pay for his medicine, it's me!"

Both Wei Wanru and Chu Yexuan gave a start, while Chu Yeguang glanced over in interest. Mei Yanran, on the other hand, could only gape. What's going on now?!

Meanwhile, Li Siyan had already snatched the bundle out of the boy's hands to unfold the prescription paper contained within. When the boy tried to snatch it back, she quelled him with a vicious look. Then she looked haughtily at Wei Wanru and sniffed, "You said we can get all the ingredients here?"

Wei Wanru didn't know whether to fume or laugh, so she just nodded her head rather helplessly. "Yes, any of these shops will do."

Li Siyan sniffed before stuffing the prescription into her servant girl's hands with some silver. "Go to the nearest shop and get this prescription filled out," she ordered, before adding. "Have the shopkeeper give the boy twice as much as he needs. Heaven knows how he'll manage things if he falls on his face again!"

Although she was denouncing the beggar boy, the full fury of her stare was focused on Wei Wanru, who really felt like laughing now. Before long, the servant girl returned with two neatly tied paper packages, which Li Siyan further enhanced by wrapping them up in her silk handkerchief.

"You ripped the package last time, you clumsy boy," Li Siyan said as she handed over the brightly wrapped parcels to the beggar boy. "If you can't take care of paper, at least wrap it up in cloth, hmph!"

It was obviously you who ripped the package with your fingers! The beggar boy wanted to complain, but the sight of Li Siyan's icy glare silenced his thoughts. He quickly took accepted the bundle, bid a hasty farewell to all, and ran off into the streets. Li Siyan looked after him smugly before whirling back to fixate on Wei Wanru.

"Well?" she asked.

Wei Wanru blinked. "Well...?"

"Aren't you going to praise the House of Li for our good sense and charity?" Li Siyan demanded, before casting a glance at Chu Yexuan again. "Your Highness, you see---those of our clan are born with good breeding in their bones. Miss Wei even said it herself!"

"Yes, yes," Wei Wanru could only stifle her laughs between nods of her head. "Your actions are very praiseworthy indeed, Miss Li."

Chu Yexuan blinked, before nodding in agreement. "That was a good turn, Miss Li." He'd thrown the words out casually, but Li Siyan beamed with delight.

"Your Highness, Siyan humbly accepts your compliments!"

Mei Yanran only felt her head pound as she witnessed the entire scene. Yes, Wei Wanru had won against Li Siyan, Chu Yexuan had raised his admiration of his true love, and the beggar boy had gotten the medicine to save Male Lead #4's life, but...

It's completely different from what I read!

--

After the beggar boy reached a certain hovel in the slums of the capital and fed his 'big brother' his medicine, the young man lying on the makeshift bed of rags and furs finally regained some color in his face. Soon enough, he was able to sit up with help and down a few mouthfuls of thin porridge. The first thing he noticed was the eye-catching handkerchief next to a yet unopened package of medicine. 

".....?" he gestured feebly towards the colorful cloth.

The boy spotted the handkerchief and brought it over. "The person who bought the medicine wrapped them up in this," he explained.

Male lead #4 Qi Yu (齊羽), the jianghu rogue who was secretly the prince of a rival kingdom in the south, gingerly picked up the handkerchief and examined its exquisite embroidery of peonies. There was a faint sweet, flowery fragrance emanating from the soft silk, and he brought it close to his nose to inhale the scent.

"Who?" he asked simply.

The beggar boy gave an involuntary shudder. "A loud, scary, shrew of a girl!"

Qi Yu nodded, stone-faced. "I'll thank her."

"Don't, big bro, she's nothing but a monster! She nearly bit my head off when we collided!"

Qi Yu furrowed his brows slightly. "I'll find her." Let me see for myself.

"You'll regret it!"

"Hn." Maybe.

"I mean it, you'll really regret it!"

"Mm." We'll see.

"Big bro!"

"Hm." She's certainly my lifesaver.

"....." said the beggar boy. He was at a loss for words!

~~~~~

"Wei Wanru, don't think you're so great just because you won the Snow Festival!" Li Siyan was close to tears from fury as she cradled her stinging face. "You and that beggar boy are the same ilk, trying to rise above your station!" With a furious stomp of her feet, the eldest daughter of the Li Clan turned and stalked off.

"Big sis..." the beggar boy hesitated, before quickly bowing his head. "Thank you again! You've helped me twice, I'll definitely tell big bro to pay you back!"

"No need for that, saving lives is more important." Wei Wanru patted the boy's head. "Hurry along now, Frost Fever won't wait!"

"I'll definitely make big bro thank you!" the beggar boy promised before he vanished into the distance.

Unbeknownst to the pair, a set of eyes witnessed the entire scene before their owner turned around with a soft smile.

"Wei Wanru, huh..." third imperial prince Chu Yexuan murmured to himself as he silently slipped away. "You really are...an admirable person."

...

When Qi Yu recovered enough from his illness, the first thing he thought of was the medicine. After all, the jianghu doctor hadn't been able to find the beggar boy before he returned from the market---so how did the lad get enough money to pay for the items?

"....?" the quiet young man shot his helper a questioning look as he cradled the chipped bowl of porridge in his hands.

"I ran into a fairy, big bro!"

"Who?" Qi Yu asked, somewhat puzzled by the moniker.

"Honest to goodness," the boy's eyes beamed. "She was a pretty and perfect big sis!"

Qi Yu nodded, stone-faced. "I'll thank her."

"You better! She ended up buying the medicine twice after I got knocked over. I told her you'd pay her back. You will, won't you, big bro?"

Qi Yu looked at him mildly. "I'll find her."

"She's got really nice eyes!"

"Hn." I'd like to see them myself.

"And her voice was just like a flute's, so bright and clear!"

"Mm." I'd like to hear that too.

"I think she's the best person in the world!"

"Hm." She's certainly my lifesaver.

"Big bro, you have to track her down again, alright?"

"...." Qi Yu privately resolved to do just that.

- Excerpt passage from Chapter 16: A Frosty Confrontation

2