Part 2 Prologue: Burn the Witch
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 2 Prologue:  Burn the Witch

Some people take their ideas of justice to the extreme.  They are so obsessed with bringing law and order to this world that they don’t think about how it affects those around them.  Some people believe that any wrong done must be punished.  It doesn’t matter the age of the person, or the circumstances around the crime.  Any and all wrongdoing must be met with the proper justice.

It came to be that the girl that had escaped from Twinford was caught by one such person.  He found her hiding in a small farming village and was quick to capture her.  He paraded his catch in front of the villagers, and held a trial in front of them so they would know that justice would be served fairly.  He wanted them to know that justice would find anyone, young or old.

The two who tried so hard to escape could now only wait for that man's judgement.

***************************

The Girl

 

The young girl sat in a cage clutching her knees.  She looked over to her companion who had all but given up and sighed.  Perhaps it will be better this way, she thought. No more running and hiding, I can finally rest even if it is in a dungeon cell.  She supposed she was lucky that she was so young, they might not even imprison her.  They might just send her to re-education and purge her mana.  Gerard in the other cage however was twenty five, he would not be so lucky.  Life in a cell was the best he could hope for, but even that was wishful thinking.  He didn't have much longer to live and he knew it. 

She just wanted it to end, she hated this life of running and hiding.  She was never able to rely on anyone or trust them.  She began to laugh through her tears as she finally reached the breaking point after so long.  “I’m sorry mother.”

When the paladin walked up to the cages she wiped her tears away. “It is time to hear your judgement.  Please come with me and do not resist.  He opened the cages and bound each of them with shackles.  She looked at Gerard and his shackles. They had clear crystals embedded in them and hummed with magic.  These were designed to interfere with mana circulation and make spellcasting impossible.  He led the two of them out into the open, in front of dozens of villagers and a handful of paladins.

The trial that had taken place earlier that day was a sham.  They knew they had no hope of defending themselves and every paladin in the assembly knew they were guilty.  It was just a show so the villagers would think that the law was followed properly.

One paladin who was more decorated than the others stood in front of the assembly and addressed the prisoners.  “Gerard of Stonehewer’s Point, step forward.”

“You are accused of witchcraft, of consulting with demons and binding yourself in a contract with an Abyssal Lord.  In addition, you have used demonic magic to assault those who tried to apprehend you.  Our witnesses have confirmed this and a study of your mana has proved you are tainted by demonic energy.  In the name of the Inquisition, I find you guilty on all counts and sentence you to death by burning at first light.”

“Amara Thales, third of her name, step forward.”  A murmur swept through the crowd, they still couldn’t believe someone so young was being put on trial.

“You are accused of witchcraft, of consulting with demons and binding yourself in a contract with an Abyssal Lord.  In addition, you are charged with the assault and murder of High Priest Kirstin, and the destruction of the most sacred artifact of the goddess Celeste.  You are also accused of high heresy, of defying the very will of the gods and spreading your heresy to others.”

Her eyes opened wide with shock, He knows who I am?    

“In the name of the Inquisition, I find you guilty of all charges, and you are sentenced to death by burning at first light.  Your remains will then be beheaded and fully cremated.  Your ashes will be sanctified and cast into the wastes.  May your taint upon this world created and blessed by the gods spread no further, and one day be banished forever.”

The audience began to cry out in protest.  “Look at her, she’s just a girl, she cant be more than a decade old!”

“SILENCE!  I will not be questioned.  The taint of demonkind infects them both, and must be purged.”

Amara brought her hands up to her eyes and wiped away the tears, the chains on the metal shackles rigning.  “I’m sorry mother, I couldn’t become what you wanted me to be.”  She looked at the metal bands on her wrists and noticed something was wrong with them.  She looked over to Gerard again, his crystal lined shackles blocking all mana.  She looked back to her own, her normal iron shackles, and she smiled. 

She couldn’t help but laugh and the lead inquisitor looked over to her confused and then gasped.  “What have you done?  Why didn’t you use the mana blocking shackles on her?”

“But sir, she is only a child, what coul-”

“You fool!  Don’t you know what she is capable of?”

Amara looked him in the eyes, “They are about to find out.”

1