Chapter 006: Gamers Speak
308 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was already a queue at the Class vendor when I got there. I got in line and waited patiently as it moved slowly forward.

While I waited for my chance with the merchant, I turned to my familiar. It was time to find out more about what it meant to be a player in the Grand Game.

“So, Gnat,” I began, “besides Classes and skills, what other characteristics do players have?”

“Attributes,” Gnat grunted. “And before you ask me what they are, you can find out for yourself. Just ask your Adjudicator.”

I tilted my head to the side while I considered the bat’s response. Why not? I wondered. Turning my attention inwards, I blanked my mind and focused on a single thought: attributes.

To my surprise, my efforts yielded a response and a window unfurled in my mind.

Player Profile: Michael

Level: 1. Rank: 0. Current Health: 100%.

Stamina: 100%. Mana: 100%. Psi: 100%.

Species: Human. Lives Remaining: 3.

Classes: 0 of 3. Traits: undead familiar.

Skills: none. Abilities: 0 of 0.

Attributes

Strength: 0. Constitution: 0. Dexterity: 0.

Perception: 0. Mind: 0. Magic: 0. and Faith: 0.

Every skill and ability is governed by one of the seven attributes. They in turn act as a cap on both your skills and the number of abilities you can learn. For every rank you invest in an attribute, you can advance your skill level by ten, and acquire one more ability.

Strength is an attribute that primarily influences a player’s ability with heavy and medium weapons. Each rank you invest in Strength also increases your carrying capacity by: +10kg.

First and foremost, Dexterity determines a player’s ability with light weapons and evasive combat maneuvers. Each rank in Dexterity also improves your speed by: +1.

Perception influences a player’s accuracy with ranged weapons, as well as his ability to anticipate his opponents’ moves and sense oddities in the surroundings.

Constitution enables players to increase their physical damage resistance, while Mind determines a player’s ability with psionic skills and abilities. Similarly, Magic influences the power of a player’s elemental spells, and Faith the strength of a players holy, unholy, necromancy and life spells.

I exhaled a troubled breath as I tried to absorb the small avalanche of information the Game had thrown my way. More surprisingly, despite all the jargon, I was able to make sense of the Adjudicator’s message.

Its gamers speak, something told me.

After I worked through the information, I turned to my familiar again. “Gnat,” I said slowly, “if I understand correctly, attributes limit skill growth. Correct?”

“That’s right,” the bat said.

I frowned, puzzled. “Then, even if my Class unlocks new skills, how do I increase them without any starting attributes? They’re all zero!”

Gnat chuckled. “All basic Classes come with a trait that boosts one or more attribute.”

I rubbed my chin, initial worry subsiding. For a moment, I had feared I was an irretrievably broken character. “Do all players start with zero attributes?” I asked after a moment.

“They do,” my familiar confirmed.

That at least seemed fair. “Besides Class traits, how else can I earn attribute ranks?” I asked.

“At every new player level, you will gain one attribute point to spend as you desire,” Gnat said.

I winced. “Only one?”

The skeletal bat nodded.

That sounds harsh, I thought. It meant I would have to deliberate long and hard on how I invested my attribute points. I could not afford to waste any. “Is there any other way to earn more attributes?” I asked.

“Attribute gems can be found in dungeons, and other places in the Forever Kingdom,” Gnat said. “But don’t count on finding any,” he warned. “They are exceedingly rare.”

Hmm. “And what’s this bit about ‘remaining lives’? What does it mean?”

Gnat stared at me. “Exactly what it says, human. You have only three chances to prove yourself.”

I didn’t like the sound of that ‘only.’ It implied that the dungeon would be exceedingly dangerous. “So if I die, I will be reborn? Is that it?”

Gnat nodded. “You will. But as I said before, you will not enjoy the experience. It is said to be exceedingly painful.”

“And what happens after I die three times?” I asked.

“Then you be dead—permanently,” Gnat said. “And your spirit will belong to the Master to do as he pleases. Our lord may choose to raise up your spirit anew as an undead.” The skeletal bat’s eyes glinted. “Or gift it to one whom he favors.”

I shuddered. Seeing the eager gleam in the Gnat’s eyes, I didn’t ask what the one so-favored would do with my spirit. I suspected it would be nothing good.

I glanced at the candidates in front of and behind me in the line. Some looked excited, others nervous, and a few downright terrified. “How many of us can expect to emerge alive from the dungeon?” I asked Gnat soberly. I didn’t think it would be a lot.

“No more than a handful,” Gnat said. “And that is under the best of circumstances. Whatever happens in the coming days, the Master’s servants will feed well.”

I gulped. My chances of surviving in this new world seemed slim at best, and I wondered anew what had possessed me to enter it. But there was no more time for further talk. I had reached the front of the line.

I sucked in a deep breath. It was time to begin playing the Game and forging myself into a player. Whatever happened, I would not go quietly to my death.

I will win free of this dungeon, I promised myself.

11