BK 1: Chapter 56 World of Monsters
925 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I turned my eyes to the moon Chance and recalled their history.

They started out like any other monsters but without the favored races to steal from or hunt them down, natural selection took its course and only the smarter ones survived. With time their intelligence grew, and they too drew pictographs as their written form of language. With time their pictographs became more sophisticated becoming hieroglyphs then simply glyphs.

Eventually, through their glyphs, they learned to harness mana into magic, but this knowledge was hidden from the masses.

Each clan hoarding their magical knowledge and pouring it into their family Sigils, the culmination of all their magical knowledge in a single glyph called a sigil. One of the common abilities of a Sigil is to pass on a lesser version to others that ensures their loyalty.

It was when one of their enchanters overthrew a highborn house and took all their knowledge for himself then used it to build an academy, that the magi came to be.

His name Magus Scionus of House Exaliburn.

It was later that they discovered the power of essence and the six great monarchs of the six races came to rule over monster-kind.

Focusing back on the present I turned my eyes to Loci.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The single greatest genius to walk the surface of Chance and the greatest goblin magus to ever-live walked alone across the great northern plateau toward a massive unnamed mountain range.

Coming upon the cliff face of one of the mountains Loci stared up at the entrance to a cave in the cliff face.

Loci cocked a gadget on his wrist then pulled the trigger on top, releasing a grappling hook then shot toward the cave entrance and latched on.

Once it hooked onto the ledge the cable began to quickly reel in, launching Loci off his feet into the air as he was pulled up toward the cave entrance up above.

Landing with a slight stumble, he straightened his spine and pulled on his coat collar. He blew frosty air out his mouth, then rubbed his hands together briefly before walking further into the massive cavern of ice.

Loci, “From the looks of it this is no mountain but a glacier. Interesting. Well time to get to work.”

Loci quickly took out his map and began mapping the cavern until he came upon a ginormous chamber within the cavern’s depths.

Inside slept a truly massive dragon.

The first dragon to ever be confirmed real on Chance, and the only one currently living on the peculiar moon.

Little did Loci know the dragon before him was a Firstborn Dragon.

Slowly he approached the sleeping dragon and without opening its eyes it spoke.

Firstborn Dragon, “That is far enough little goblin.
I know you tend to study that which you don’t understand, but I am far from a willing participant and I bite.”

Loci stuttered confused, “H-how… How did you know??”

Firstborn Dragon, “I’m a dragon. Most of us are capable of reading minds.
At least as long as we have strong enough blood within us.
Oh, where are my manners, my name is Rajaw son of Verna and Fucius.”
Loci replied, “Ah my name is Loci of Clan Shaw.
I am here on an expedition to map the Northern Plateau.”

Rajaw made a toothy grin his eyes still shut and said, “I know.”

Loci, “Uhhhhhh… Ok?”

Rajaw, “For the greatest genius from among the forsaken races you sure don’t know a lot of words do you?”

Loci, “Wait hold up, what do you mean the forsaken races?”

Rajaw, “Oops my tongue slipped, oh well it’s not like I’m actually interfering.
I’m just talking.
Alright, so your world and its races are but of a small fraction of the worlds created by the Great Storm.
The world’s created by the Great Storm number thirteen.
Among these thirteen worlds exist many races that fall into three main categories.
The Favored Races, The Forsaken Races, and The Mythical Races.
You, my friend and all the races on this moon except for me are members of the Forsaken Races.
Your world was created by the great storm as an experiment to see how far the monsters from the forsaken races could advance without assistance.”

Loci’s jaw hung open as he was speechless then for but a moment the world shuddered.

Rajaw opened his left eye and spoke, “Ah, it seems the path has been opened.
You best be on your way little goblin lest your world fall to change.”

With those words, Loci made haste to the cave’s mouth and whistled.

A giant crow flew from the horizon and landed on the ledge.

Loci would need to risk the frostbite breaking his heat enchantments on him and his crow if he were to make it in time to gather the races and form a united front.

He hopped on his crow took flight south over the icy coast and across the northern sea.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Meanwhile…..

The Ogre King Rothgard of House Breakjaw was holding a tournament, on a great square of stone with weeds and vines grows along its edges.

Just as a goblin bard started playing his next song on his lute a blue light began to fall from the sky.

BOOMM!!! CHCK!!

Razyl landed right behind the bard cracking the stone.

The bard turned around and dropped his lute before promptly running away.

Razyl flipped his hair his eyes giving off a powerful gold shine, gesturing with his hand he yelled with a thundering baritone, “Bow down and worship me!!”

The Ogre King Faltered in shock but quickly recovered and stood up from his seat grabbed his ornately carved stone mace then walked up to Razyl.

The Ogre King lifted up his right-hand cudgel in hand gesturing pointing toward Razyl with it, “Who are you to tell me to bow and worship you?”

His tone calm he rested his mace on his shoulder and laughed, ”Well Regardless.”

His eyes narrowed and he growled, “Let’s fight.”

He lowered his mace behind him and dashed forward, however….

CHCKK!!!

All Razyl did was thrust his hand forward and there was a distinct crack as the Ogre king’s neck broke while he was still and few yards away from Razyl.

Razyl, “Well….. That’s that.
I’ll be back soon, do be ready.”

Razyl crouched and as blue mana flames burst out from beneath his feet and he blasted himself up into the sky off back towards Deus.

............………………………………………………………………………………………………

Loci’s pet giant crow lands in a massive jungle outside a citadel on a cliff with it’s back to the ocean.

Loci dismounts his giant crow while it shakes off the frost that is swiftly melting, and Loci makes his way through the settlement outside the citadel.

Walking through the settlement he is met with bows until a goblin frantically runs up to him before bowing.

Frantic Goblin Official, “My Liege, we did not expect you back so soon.
How may I be of service.”

Loci, “Have all the blacksmiths start crafting as many fourfold blades and trifold shields as we can spare the resources for.
Have the masons and laborers start reinforcing our defenses, start with a wall made to resist a siege with enough space for crop fields within its walls.
I want the scouts to establish and maintain a perimeter and mapping the area with the help of our cartographers.
I want ore veins discovered, mines built, queries established and trees cut down for lumber or firewood, preferably both.”
The frantic goblin official then began rapidly sweating and replied, “Yes my Liege we will begin immediately.”

Loci, “Good I will be in my workshop, crafting a weapon for the coming storm.”

Loci made his way into the citadel in the lone tower and began his work within his workshop.

Within he forged a staff of clockwork and magic, the first artifact built by mortal hands and the first true piece of magitech.

He built The Clockwork Staff of Time and Space, or the Clockwork Staff for short.

Built of Oralchum, its gears weave and interlock around the staff's head every inch of the staff enchanted with glyphs barely noticeable to the naked eye.

The staff works by saturating the local area around it within a mile in mana and uses the mana to seize a pocket of time and space thus controlling time and space with a localized zone.

The Clockwork Staff can fast forward, rewind, and pause time in the area or on local individuals or objects. The staff can fold space itself, teleport the user and accelerate the user movement or slow them down. The staff can also use its abilities to fold space on opponents to cause damage to them as if getting hit by a void blade.

Looking down at his Clockwork Staff Loci smiled.

It truly was the best he’d ever made.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

A small troll-goblin hybrid rode a giant raven mount over the sea, beads of sweat flowing down his forehead, his breathing heavy despite the mount doing all the work.

He squints as finally, he spotted land and a relieved expression came across his face.

As he neared the coast he saw a cliff with a citadel atop it a settlement spread outside of it with what seemed thousands of workers running about cutting down trees and building walls.

Raising his hand to his forehead to block the glaring sun he squinted to try to get a better look.

Confused he shrugged as his mount came in for a landing.

Upon landing, he was met by a goblin guard, “State your business!” Demanded the guard.

Messenger, “I have an Urgent message for Magister Loci of Clan Shaw from His Royal Majesty Krosh of Clan Bonesnap of the kingdom of Trollgard!”

Guard, “Right this way.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Loci gestured for the messenger to speak as he sat upon his throne.

Messenger, “His Royal Majesty Krosh of Clan Bonesnap King of the Kingdom of Trollgard, humbly requests that Magister Loci of Clan Shaw Lead an expedition south to the mysterious gate that has appeared in the Southern Frostlands.
His Royal Majesty offers a grand total of 10,000 gold and temporary troops, should the Magister accept.”

Loci, “Tell her majesty that I accept, you may go now.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Loci journeyed across the sea in his ship before stopping at the continent of the black forest, to pick up his temporary troops.

He then sailed south before making landfall in the Southern Frostlands.

For a month they traveled inland to the twin sister’s peaks and between them, they finally saw it a massive ring of stone guarded by four elementals in front of it a circular stone platforms with 12 symbols on it and a short thin pillar of stone with four handles on the sides at the top, wedged in the middle of the platform.

But then a blue light fell from the sky and landed right in front of them creating a crater.
From out of the risen dust and mist stepped Razyl, “Bow down and worship me!”

Loci despite not knowing the situation decided it best to kneel and his followers along with temporary troops decided to follow his lead thus kneeling.

Razyl, “Hmm, smart.”

Loci, “If I may my lord, in exchange for our worship might I request your divine intervention in the case of an otherworldly invasion?”

Razyl, “Intervention? For a few measly followers?”

Loci, “My Lordship you misunderstand I mean not just ours but the world’s.”

Razyl, “Hmm, well as the Deity of Power I would accept, however, I can’t help but feel something is missing from your offer, after all, how can you promise me the world?”

Loci, “A Year. Give me a year and I will have conquered this world and by then I can simply make it law that the people worship you, my Lord.
Also as the Diety of Power would you not be interested in all the knowledge my library has to offer, after all, is Knowledge not Power?”

This struck a chord in Razyl as if remembering some ancient proverbs hidden deep within a link shared with Ethereal inherited from his father.
He smiled for Knowledge is indeed Power.

Razyl, “Very well. You have a deal. I’ll be back in one year.”

With that Razyl, blasted off into the sky back toward Deus

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

After mapping the area and taking notes of the gate and it’s platform even the pillar-like key wedged into the platform itself, they interviewed the gatekeepers finding them not hostile unless one tried to steal the key.

They returned via ship to Trollgard where Loci received his reward.

Loci made his way back to the dark jungle across the sea and after resupplying at his citadel, Loci made his way into the jungle via carriage surrounded by a small number of his troops on the backs of salamanders.

After a few weeks of travel, they finally arrived at the one and only Tower Academy of Magi.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Tower Headmaster/Head Magus Talbern, “Good to see you, my old friend, the magi have missed you.”

Loci, “It is good to see you too Talbern.”

Headmaster Talbern, “I assume this isn’t just a social visit, although the ancestors know I need one.”

Loci, “You are correct Talbern, I’m here because I need an army.”

Headmaster Talbern, “Loci, you can’t expect us to just pick up everything and follow you without an explanation.
So then tell me what's wrong.”

Thus Loci explained the danger of the other worlds favored by the gods, how they likely view them as nothing but monsters and how an invasion of their world would seem almost holy to them. He explained the deal he made with a god and how he needed to conquer the world within a year or they would be at the mercy of the Favored Races.
Headmaster Talbern, “Very well we are with you, but you’ll have to give a speech with that silver tongue of yours.”

Thus they gathered their academy and after a rousing speech by Loci 95% of the magi and students joined his cause. From all races alike, after all, he was the one and only Magister.

Kingdom after kingdom fell under the banner of clan Shaw, most were duels with Loci himself using the Clockwork Staff but some were mere battles and sieges that were surprisingly short.

Thus each kingdom eventually fell under Loci’s control and by the time the year was up Razyl descended once again and the deal was complete.

After Razyl left with copies of Loci’s whole library all he had to do was descend whenever an invasion from another world happened.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Razyl met with his brothers and sisters except for Rocyl, “My Siblings after a fairly recent acquisition I have created something that will further increase our power and our hold over the mortals.”

A blue mana construct flashed in his hand and around each world, “It allows us to gather a minuscule amount of mana from each mortal's prayer and absorb it adding it to our cultivation.
I call it the Faith System.”

20