2.35 The March Begins
2.5k 6 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I slept well, but I guessed the anticipation got to me somewhere during my dreams as I woke up at some point with Velariah still sleeping soundly beneath me. I knew Elly would wake us up in time if needed so I figured it was still early. However, it took me a good while to fall back asleep, and by the time I woke up again, this time to knocking on the door, I was left in a terrible state.

“Ugh,” I groaned.

The elf had a much easier time than me. I could hear it in her voice, and I hated it.

“Time to get up, El. Can’t leave everyone waiting.”

“I know,” I said as I started rubbing my eyes, and then the ones at the sides of my head too. “Fuck.”

“Bad sleep?” Velariah asked, her voice becoming caring after watching me in agony.

“It was okay until I woke up. I feel like I just fell asleep before being woken. Don’t you hate that?”

“That’s the worst,” She replied, before running a hand through my hair. “We should get up, though. Let me know if you need a potion.”

“Alright,” I said with a nod before stepping out of bed, making my way over to the sink in the hopes that some water to my face would help.

“Miss Velariah, Miss Elania?” I heard Elly’s voice through the thick wood of the door.

“We’re coming, just a few minutes.”

“Alright,” The maid replied.

“Ah shit,” I let out, after washing my face, when my eyes spotted Minia still in the same position where she’d been when we fell asleep. “We’ll have to make sure Elly feeds her.”

“She knows. No worries.”

I nodded and then went to put on some fresh underwear and clothes. When I finished, I waited a few seconds for Velariah to have done the same, before I had her install the saddlebags to my abdomen. She then put on her own belt bag and gave it a light slap with her hand.

“It’s time we fill these up. Are you feeling a bit better?”

“Yeah, a bit. I’ll be groggy for a little bit, but I’ll be fine. Could really do with some coffee right about now…”

“One day,” Velariah said optimistically, causing me to chuckle.

“Yeah. One day.”

I said goodbye to Minia, and told her we’d be away for a few days. Something which she seemed to understand now, thanks to the increase in levels of communications between us.

When we arrived in the dining area, only Valtheril and Draco were present, and I could hear (and smell) Elly working in the kitchen. The chess board was still on the table, and both of them were looking at it, even though it was in its starting position and neither seemed to be making a move. I wasn’t quite sure what they were thinking, but it wasn’t something to worry about.

The more interesting thing was that, next to the game, potions of all colors were lined up. Velariah didn’t hesitate and took a few of each kind into her bag, fully resupplying, which seemed to be the intention of these potions as Valtheril didn’t comment on it whatsoever. I could make out the ones I knew to be energy, healing and base anti-venom, but there were also some black ones. My curiosity got the better of me and, after wishing them good morning, I decided to ask what those were.

“Weapon enhancement oils,” Valtheril said in response to my question. “They amplify the effects of the different types of steel that there are. Expensive, but the idea is to slay whatever is in our way, anything that is in our way.

Damn, he was serious about this.

“Please,” He held up his hand to the many potions. “Why not take all of them. You have plenty of space.”

I knew these saddlebags were a good idea.

“But what about our tents?”

The general shook his head. “No need for those. We’re heading into the forest with a small army. There will be guards during the night, and there won’t be any rain for a few days. Better to take as many combat-related supplies as possible.”

How did he know that there wouldn’t be any rain? What kind of connections did he have? The weather stations on earth would kill him for his secrets if he turned out to be right. I mean, when did their forecasts ever come true?

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and Seralyn, Nira, and Gray following behind them, walked into the room.

“Morning,” Velariah said to the two.

“Good morning,” Nira was the first to reply in her usual soft voice with Seralyn following suit shortly afterward.

“Good morning,” Valtheril greeted them. “Please stock up with whatever you want or need. Elly is making breakfast as we speak, and she’s already prepared travel rations as well.”

Elly’s cooking, but in travel form? Hell yes.

Just as the general mentioned her name, she entered the room with cups, a pot of coffee, and half a cup of tea for me. The little bit of caffeine in that was sorely needed. After serving, she made several more trips to the kitchen to serve breakfast and a small mountain of leaf-wrapped packages containing food, including bread and even a jar of strawberry jam, which made me smile from ear to ear.

“I followed your advice regarding the lemons, Elania,” She said warmly. “I figured I might as well if you’re going to be away for a few days.”

“Thank you. I’m sure it works.”

The ability to keep bread fresh for several days was ideal for situations like these. Nobody likes stale bread in the morning.

We had a quick, but full breakfast before making sure all the preparations were finished. This included loading the items into my saddlebags and dividing potions among all members of our party. It was when we finished armoring up that the general stood up and bid his goodbyes to Elly who would be in charge of the mansion for the duration of the mission. I said goodbye to her as well and asked her to ensure that Minia stayed well-fed.

She giggled and said she had it all under control.

Valtheril asked if we were all ready to move out to which we responded with nods. He then was the first to step outside, his heavy boots resonating with each step he took.

He was truly a sight to behold.

We arrived at the center of the city, in front of the guild hall, where many adventurers were gathered, and seemingly, awaiting his arrival. I looked around and saw that many of them stood together with others - I was practically able to make out what parties they belonged to - but there were also a few that seemed to be there as individuals without party affiliations. Among those was Eric, who looked at me with surprise and relief before making his way over.

“Hey,” He greeted me. “I heard what happened, and I’m terribly sorry about it. I never knew. I… I should have known.”

The poor guy seemed wrecked by guilt at the mention, or rather, omitted mention of his old party member.

“Hey, don’t beat yourself up over it,” I started, causing him to nod slightly. He’d been looking away, apparently unable to face me properly. “He made his decisions, and they were poor, tempted by gold. I cannot say how he was before such promises of riches, but I think you’re being dishonest with yourself for saying you should have seen it coming. Besides, I’m fine now.”

“I-” He shook his head. “Thank you. I’m glad to see you’re doing fine.”

“You don’t seem to be doing nearly as fine as me,” I said. “Where is the rest of your party?”

“We disbanded after all that. Some went back to the human kingdom, fearing retribution, and I couldn’t convince them of anything else.”

“That’s… sad,” I said softly.

“This is where Elania asks you to join our party,” Velariah entered the conversation.

“I couldn’t do that,” Eric said, shaking his head.

I thought about it for a moment.

“I mean,” I let out before sighing. “Damnit, Vel,” I muttered. “If you want, you can join us for the duration of this mission. I imagine that would be a lot more comfortable than going in alone, without any familiar faces.”

Velariah nodded.

“Are you sure?” He asked in earnest.

“Yes. After this is over, you’ll have plenty of time to form a new party. I heard there’s been quite the influx of new people at the guild after the last major battle. Perhaps even more so after the festival yesterday. Hopefully, some of them will still be here by the time we’re done.

“That… I don’t know what to say.”

“How about ‘thank you’?”

“Yeah. That will do. Thank you,” He said, nodding with a newly formed smile.

Valtheril had eyed and overheard our conversation, and he nodded when I looked at him. I wasn’t sure why, but if I were to guess, I imagined it had something to do with his ability to detect lies. Whatever the reason, he wasn’t opposed to the idea.

He then walked around, inspecting the people that had gathered as he went, before making his way into the guild hall.

“Where are the soldiers, by the way?” I asked, turning my attention to Velariah. I’d only seen the town guards. The elite soldiers that Valtheril had brought in were nowhere to be seen.

“Take a wild guess,” She said, placing her hands on her hips while looking at me with a mischievous smile.

“Are they outside?” I asked.

“We have a winner!” She said cheerfully, making me shake my head.

I should have known.

I covered my face with my palm causing Seralyn to giggle at my stupidity.

“Pretty sure my father will give us some instructions once everyone is here, but-” she started looking around. “I don’t know if more people will show up. Pretty sure we’re the last ones.”

I looked with her to see how many people were amassed here. I thought that, all in all, we’d possess over seventy adventurers, possibly more. A good number of them wore armor that I could only attribute to novices, presumably here because goblins were considered easy targets, and the payout was substantial. I just hoped they were told not to underestimate their nasty venoms.

Good thing I’m here in case things go horribly wrong for them, I suppose.

It took a while but finally Valtheril exited the guild hall. He circled the mass of people and took position near the center of town where he cleared his throat and then clapped his gloved hands together, silencing the chattering that was still going on.

Then, he spoke with a confidence that I’d rarely seen, let alone experienced for myself.

“Welcome everyone. Let me start by saying I thank you all for joining us in this mission. For both the safety and future of Dawnleaf, it’s about time we deal with a threat that has plagued us for many years.”

He paused for a few seconds to cast his gaze over all those present.

“I see many new faces, but also some battle-hardened ones. Let it be clear that for this mission, everyone will be considered equal.”

He let another pause slip.

“We have stockpiled resources and prepared as well as we can to deal with all types of attacks that will undoubtedly be used against us, not the least of them being their venoms. Let me repeat and elaborate what I mean when I say everyone will be considered equal.”

His eyes narrowed as he seemed to be staring into each person’s soul.

“What I want, what I expect from you is to take this calmly and carefully. Everyone’s lives here are worth just as much, and I want everyone to understand, especially the new adventurers among you, that this is not the place or time for heroics. We will sweep the forest as a unit. Do not charge in alone. Do not throw away your life for a chance at glory. By doing so, you may put others at risk.”

Again, he let his eyes glide through the crowd.

“I hope you will trust me when I say that I’ve seen losses that could have been avoided. It is precisely for these reasons that rules exist, and I will see them followed here, in this undertaking.”

A few people nodded, and everyone seemed to understand the meaning in his words.

“The plan is as follows: parties stay together, while my battalion will stretch out in a long line so we do not miss a foot of ground. We move slowly and exterminate any goblin or troll alike; no mercy.”

It was hard for me to grasp that concept. I was under the impression that not all goblins were evil. Hell, I’d met one from up close on my first day, and he seemed all but bloodthirsty, especially after I’d disarmed him. In fact, he could be reasoned with, but I also knew that for the better of the village in which I now lived, and for its ultimate safety, we couldn’t risk goblins repopulating the forest.

It made my heart wrench, but I knew this had to be done.

“If you need assistance, there will always be reinforcements in your area. Do not hesitate to call upon them. There will be couriers with provisions and anti-venoms following us as we go, and try to divide the parties with healers so we cover a larger area. Let me repeat that above all, we do not want to suffer ANY casualties.”

A noble goal. That was for sure. A plausible one too, with this many people, experience, and plenty of resources to assist those in need.

“We will sweep the southern part of the forest from west to east, and about halfway through, we meet up with the Flamarr kingdom who will be clearing the forest from east to west, so for our archers: be careful, and don’t fire prematurely. After we merge, we push north in the same manner, until the entire forest is liberated from these pests.”

He paused one last time before speaking again.

“Are there any questions?”

Nobody spoke up, and some people shook their heads. Valtheril gave it a few seconds before he started marching towards the exit of the village, briefly pausing before he called out loudly.

“Let’s move out, then.”

The entourage followed him as he walked down the street towards the palisade with our party somewhere in the middle of the long line. My eyes were wide open at the spectacular sight, and as if it wasn’t impressive enough, the townsfolk moving from the road to the sides, to watch, clap, or simply observe, definitely was. It made me feel as if we were already done, and returning from a successful mission.

Outside the walls, the soldiers stood ready and organized in ranks and rows, three hundred men and women strong, reinforced by the regiment that was previously in duskleaf, and some lightly armored people that seemed to be the couriers that Velariah’s father had mentioned. They carried backpacks that contained all the supplies, leaving the soldiers lighter and more effective for combat.

Vymar was positioned before them and greeted Valtheril with a salute when he approached, who merely replied with a nod.

“Alright men,” The general spoke loud and clear. “You know the drill. Let’s start moving south, spacious single file. We’ll have the adventurers spread out as evenly as we can.”

I was a bit confused as to where our exact position would be, and I believe many others with me. However, I got the feeling that everything would sort itself out since Valtheril’s warriors were taking the lead when they started moving south, towards the edge of the forest.

Large gaps were formed and the general turned to the rest of us that were still in one large group.

“Once the soldiers are in position, just find a place for your party and insert yourselves in the line. They will adjust accordingly. As mentioned before, to spread out the healers, Vymar will assist.” He then turned to our party in particular.

“Velariah, would you be okay being the first party?”

“Meaning the southernmost?” She replied to which Valtheril nodded.

“Sure,” The white-haired elf said, before gesturing to the rest of us to follow. “Let’s go.”

She followed the line of soldiers moving in the direction of the dungeon with the rest of us in tow. Behind us, I could see Vymar go through the rest of the adventurers, checking how many healers were present and how to organize their presence on the battlefield. We were a fair distance away when I saw him send out another small party our way.

Nira was traveling on my back so we wouldn’t lose speed. For a good while, until the first soldier in front of us came to a halt, it was eerily quiet. I think everyone was preparing mentally and trying to get into a focused state of mind.

We reached the end of the forest and the soldier right in front of us asked us to remain where we were; this would be our position in the net that was about to trap the goblins. He, and five others before him continued, creating large gaps. Each person had about ten meters between them, give or take.

That would mean that with three hundred soldiers we’d create a line that covered three kilometers. That was on the low end considering that there’d also be adventurers, and even though they’d stick in a group, it would still add quite some distance. I reckoned that in total, we’d cover well over three kilometers, perhaps closer to four.

Hah. Suck it imperial system. Where are your feet and miles and all that now?

Having a train of this many people also meant that it took a good while before everybody was in position, much to Seralyn’s dismay. She had her arms crossed and sighed out of frustration as time passed. Then, at long last, a flash of light grabbed my attention. In the distance, we saw Valtheril’s signature spell, but with no enemies outside the forest, it was more like a signal flare.

The knights drew their weapons in unison and started their march.

81