Chapter 6
392 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The little girl, looking at the father and son duo coming towards her, couldn’t be more excited. Her father had told her today she would meet her future attendant. Apparently, it was someone from one of the Baron houses that worked for her family. She hadn’t really understood completely what that meant, but she was sure about the fact that her attendant would have to do everything she told him to do.

But, since she wasn’t sure, she still turned her little head towards her uncle, and while looking at him with her big blue eyes, she innocently asked: “Is that him?”

“Yes sweetie, that’s the boy that will serve you starting from when you’re going to join the academy. Today he will sign a soul contract with you, thus turning him officially in your attendant.”

“Is he amazing?”

“Even though he might not be amazing now, I’m sure he has a lot of potential. Well, today we’re gonna find out anyway.”

Once the boy was in front of her, he bowed and said: “My name is Vince Dawmond. Pleased to meet you.”

“Hey Rupert, you really beat some sense in the kid. He’s completely different from someone I know…”

“Oh come on, don’t start making fun of me…”

While the two adults were talking to each other, paying no heed to them, she only stared at the boy who was still bowed. Albert von Sideria, noticing what was going on called the little girl out.

“Hey little lass, you have to greet him back and allow him to stop bowing. Otherwise, he’s gonna stand like that forever. He sure is very educated for his age.”

“Introduce myself? Why does he have to wait for me to introduce?”

“That’s because of etiquette. It is a custom for nobles of lower standing to do such a thing. He won’t stop bowing until explicitly told to.”

“Oh, I get it.”

Even though she didn’t understand why such a custom existed, she still listened to her uncle. He was more of a father to her than her real one, whom she rarely met.

Her father, being the family head, was a really busy man. He barely had any spare time, which also had to be spent with countless children and consorts. Once everyone got their piece of the pie, it was more like crumbles rather than an actual piece.

“It’s my pleasure. I’m Estelle Xanthia von Sideria.”

“Now you have to say ‘you may rise’.”

“You may rise.”

“Yes, milady.”

The brown-haired boy lifted his head, and locked his eyes onto her, before shifting his attention towards her uncle.

“So, how are you going to help me?”

“Ohoh, what a straightforward question. Before that you’re gonna have to do something else though. Let’s move inside!”

The group of four then headed inside the mansion. They kept on discussing while moving through countless halls and corridors.

“So, I had said you would be allowed to learn our family techniques, but before that, I’ll have you sign a soul contract with your future master.”

“A soul contract? What is that?”

Even though the boy asked such a question, he was already immersed in his own thoughts.

“Well, it’s normal for you not to know. A soul contract is a contract made between two souls, and its conditions are absolute. Such a contract can be used for any kind of purpose, and you can be sure the other side will never go back on their words. If one were to do it, he would have his soul destroyed and never reincarnate again. In your case, it’s going to be a contract of absolute loyalty towards my niece, and you’ll have to be with her in life or death.”

Rupert Dawmond, after having heard the conditions made an astonished expression.

“Hey, Albert, isn’t this bringing it too far? He’s pretty much turning into a slave!”

“Rupert, I know this one is an illegitimate son, and that you’re only willing to give up on those. Don’t worry, I’ll handle this properly, and I’ll make sure nobody will know about this contract. Also, the conditions are nowhere near as bad as those a slave would have.”

“Huh… I can’t really go back on my word, but still…”

“Don’t worry, I won’t mistreat him anyways. It’s mainly to be completely free of possible traitors. My elder brother has been very wary of traitors lately. Even though it requires loyalty, there are strict limitations over the kind of commands she’ll be able to give. Even though it still includes the possibility of her asking him to die for her wellbeing, it is only allowed in extreme situations. She won’t be able to force him to tell her his thoughts either. The contract only binds him over the duties of an attendant and bodyguard. It also binds his life to hers, so that if her soul dies, he’s going to follow suit. He will still be granted a certain degree of freedom, and like any attendant without a soul contract, he will still be granted a few basic rights.”

As he was done explaining what the soul contract was about, the group reached a big and scarcely illuminated room. There was a giant stele in this room, with many intricate patterns glowing. The stele was almost six metres high, reaching all the way to the ceiling.

“That stone you see there is a contract stele. Its purpose is to form soul contracts. Both of you come here and retrieve your parchment. You’re going to have to read the content while making contact with the stone. Once you are done, I’ll activate the array and finalise the contract.”

Once Estelle received hers, she started reading it. Even though she was still slower compared to an adult, it was still impressive for a four years old child to be able to read.

‘1.The contractor (Estelle Xanthia von Sideria) will form a soul contract with Vince Dawmond.

2.The contracted should never do anything that he thinks might bring any danger to the contractor.

3.The contracted is bound in life and death to the contractor, but not vice versa.

4.In case of absolute danger, the contractor can order the contracted to fight, even to the cost of the latter’s own life.

5.The contracted should listen to an order by the contractor, as long as it pertains to an attendant’s duties or a personal guard’s.

6.Attendants’ and personal guards’ duties are to be defined by referring to their corresponding contracts.

7.This contract can only be terminated if the contractor wishes to do so.

8.This contract shall be respected throughout eternity, or until the contractor decides to terminate it.’

There were the long attendant and bodyguard contracts at the bottom, which had no particular clauses in them. In short, the attendant would have to take care of the housework or various other chores if requested. The bodyguard would instead have to defend the contractor but had no obligation whatsoever to attack someone who wasn’t a threat even if he was instructed to do so.

After she was done reading, she couldn’t help but think: ‘I’ll finally have my own attendant like my older siblings!’

The boy, who showed no expression whatsoever after having finished reading the parchment, suddenly asked Estelle: “Shall we go? I see that you’re also done, milady.”

Having heard him, she quickly nodded and went to one of the sides of the stele. Her uncle had already explained to her what she has to do. Even though the contracted only has to pronounce a few words, it’s not as simple for the contractor. She had to learn how to infuse her soul into an object. Although it’s considered the most basic soul technique, it’s still impressive for a four-year-old child to grasp such a technique.

Once Estelle finished reading her contract, the boy followed suit. Conclusively, both of them shouted: “I swear in the name of my soul to always abide by this contract.”

The stele suddenly started giving off a green glow, meaning that the two versions of the contract were matching. It was made this way so that even people speaking different languages could make contracts, and there would be no contradictions between the two versions. As the green glow started to fade, it gave way to a brighter yellow shine surrounding the two children. It meant that their souls were now bound, and the contract was in place.

“Kids, we are done! Little Vince, you’re going to officially start your duties in two years, when the two of you will start attending the noble academy. Now let’s head to our family’s cultivation library. I shall be generous and grant you the same opportunity I’d grant to a core subordinate.”

While her uncle and her newly acquired attendant discussed the criteria to decide what technique to give Vince, Estelle slowly immersed herself in her own thoughts.

‘I can’t wait to see how he’s going to compare to my siblings’ attendants. Maybe he will turn out to be the most talented attendant in our family… maybe…’

The little Estelle kept on having such thoughts—more like fantasies, but she will have to wait a little bit more to satisfy her curiosity.

17