Chapter 27 – A Crabby Situation
85 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'The Frozen Phoenix'

 

This is the title I was given after a month of ruling the fortress. It sounds cool, but it's actually an insult made by the refugees to paint me as a coldhearted dictator who betrayed his people. Let's do a recap for the series of events which led to such a view of me.

 

Right after the new Soul Depth measurement I had, I gave an order to amass all the refugees in front of the gate for an announcement. To keep it short, they were told that they can't freeload off of Fort Erosion and had to work under me lest I throw them out for being useless sacks of meat. This apparently wasn't received well, and the crowd was enraged because they weren't allowed to leech anymore. There were even some fools who took advantage of the ruckus to try to fire spells at me.

 

Naturally, I broke all their magic formulas and sent in my fully armed soldiers to deal with anyone who's lashing out against me. I also took advantage of the situation by adding a rule which forbade all applications of magic within my sphere of influence. Yes, magic lamps are included.

 

After that, things have gone pretty well for a week or so; many have chosen to join my workforce and were quietly abiding by my laws. To be frank, those people never had much of a choice anyway. It was either become my underling or become monster food. The problem was the ones who refused to work under me.

 

Mostly made up of troublemakers and rebellious youths, the people I've kicked out realized that they couldn't survive independently and resorted to the most popular thing desperate people do, banditry. The smarter ones took this chance to form their own groups to attack anyone I sent out from the fortress. Their annoying interference made reclamation efforts all the more difficult while the threat of bandits made my people even more agitated. Unfortunately, I couldn't spare any manpower to deal with this problem since all my troops are necessary for not only defending the region, which I can deal with, but also for keeping the peace and enforcing my law.

 

This is why I ignored this issue to focus on developing the land surrounding Fort Erosion and get some farms and mines built. Though the food supply can still support us for some more time, I'm sick of only eating brown rice. The mines are necessary to bring metals required for the cannons, plus I needed to replenish my null dust ASAP.

 

Getting those done were simple as many of the refugees who joined me were farmers and miners, perfect for manual labor. Not long after, potatoes were back on the menu, nice!

 

What wasn't nice is that there were constant raids harassing me while slowing down my progress. Monsters, bandits, and even fully armed soldiers coming from Fenrir's territory made short work of any undefended worksites. I even heard rumors that some wacko decided to proclaim himself the ruler of the region or something ridiculous like that.

 

The situation only kept worsening over the month while I merely kept on slowly expanding my sphere of influence. I, of course, wasn't planning to just sit idly by until my own troops rebelled against me due to incompetence. I patiently awaited one thing and one thing only.

 

"Aye capt'! Here's the null dust ya kept cryin' about. Fresh outta the oven!"

 

I smirked. Finally, though my void metal fingers are great weapons, they required a large amount of null dust to use effectively. Until recently, I carefully rationed my miniscule supply of it for defending the fortress. Now I can afford the luxury to use anti-magic elsewhere, specifically in exterminating those damn pests who keep ambushing my caravans.

 

The question now is, how do I defeat an enemy using physical attacks with anti-magic? The answer is, I don't have to. There's a perfectly functioning pistol strapped onto my belt which is more than enough to take down big guys with stabby weapons. Moreover, I found out that void metal has the ability to temporarily infuse anti-magic into other objects, which means my bullets can be used to increase my reach without being limited to touch the ground every time I need to break a spell.

 

With this, I was more than ready to do some bandit-busting. Some certain individuals didn't like the idea, though…

 

"No! You absolutely cannot leave the fortress to fight. Especially alone."

 

"I agree with lady Sarah, captain. I know you want to end our problem with bandits, but your plan is far too reckless."

 

Sarah and Martin lectured me on how stupid it was to go solo on such a dangerous mission. I won't keel over so easily, however.

 

"Excuse my tone, but who do you think kept this place safe for the last month? Without me, this place would have already fallen to monsters. Now you think I am too weak to venture out to take care of ruffians? I am going to do this, whether you like it or not."

 

"Max, please. I don't know what I'll do if something ever happens while you are away. You should at least bring me along to help."

 

"Did you forget our deal already? Absolutely no magic."

 

"... Are you really serious about this?"

 

"You think I am joking? I am completely serious. No one should ever use magic in this world, or any world for all I care. Now, if this is all you wanted to talk about, then I am leaving."

 

I turned around without minding Sarah's frozen state of shock and headed towards the open gate. I think I heard her murmur the word 'insane', though it was so quiet any other person within my proximity could've said it. I don't care if you call me crazy or an evil dictator, I'll do everything to wipe out magic and all clowns who stand in my way.

 

There were no horses currently available to bring with me, so I'll have to go on foot. I have some supplies with me so I can camp in the wilderness for a couple of days, which should be more than enough time to finish my task. After making sure I haven't forgotten anything, I finally pass through the gate into the outside world.

 

A bunch of tents were set up around the fort's perimeter which served as home for all refugees who don't have a place to stay. This issue should be fixed once we retake Osmium.

 

"Hello young lad, would you like me to read your future?"

 

I turn my head towards an old lady holding a tree branch while sitting on the grass. She's clearly emaciated and possible senile. No… She's definitely out of her mind. I'll just pretend I haven't heard her and move on.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to listen to me? Don't worry, it's completely free. I would never demand money from someone with such a tragic past."

 

I paused my steps. Does she know?

 

"Hehehe, this must be fate. You are the second person who has the same unique smell. Though I do have a question for you, why do you hate magic so much?"

 

Phew. For a moment there, I thought that my true identity had been revealed. This is definitely the rambling of a mad woman.

 

"Could it be? Yesss, I can see it. A determined man searching for what he values the most, only to be betrayed by-"

 

"Shut it old hag."

 

I quickly left this witch then made my way to the main path, which is where the most recent bandit attacks were reported. I have to stay vigilant and keep an eye out. The scumbags should target me since I'm alone, making me the perfect bait for this mission.

 

Ah! I hear something in the bushes!

 

"I know you're there! Get out and face me like a man!"

 

I take out my pistol and wait for a response. A person jumped out of the shaking bush while holding a… crab?

 

"Hello brave wanderer! Please relax, I am completely unarmed, see?"

 

The short man turned around to show me his back. Other than his attire being made out of bear hide and his… crab… I don't see anything suspicious.

 

"You came from the Frozen Phoenix's territory, correct? Don't worry! I'm with a group called 'Crustaceans' led by the venerable Crablord which will accept everyone kicked out by that evil noble. Come now, let me show you the way towards your new home!"

 

… Ok, so this idiot thinks I'm someone who was kicked out of Fort Erosion and he wants to recruit for what I assume is a bandit group. I can only think of him as a mentally challenged individual. I mean, even if he hasn't seen my face, my expensive equipment should be more than enough to reveal my identity. Yet here he is, trying to butter up to me and recruit me.

 

And what's up with the crab?

 

"Yup, follow me just like that. You are quite energetic, aren't you? At this pace, we will reach the town of Crustacea in two days. Oh, food's on me, we are family now after all!"

 

The man handed me the crab before going through the shrubbery… Uhm, alright, I'll just think of this as an undercover operation to protect my sanity. While I followed after him, I felt the crab shake a little. It's still alive!

 

"Umm, hey, you can have the crab back. I have plenty of food, so there's no need for… it."

 

"Huh? Nah, keep it. Think of it as a gift for joining us."

 

This guy is definitely doing this intentionally. What kind of person would give a live crab as a gift?

 

"Aight, the sun is setting. How about we camp next to this river and rest for the night?"

 

The short man set up a camp under a tree and headed off to collect firewood. I took this chance to free Mister crab into the river. I doubt he will survive in freshwater, which makes me wonder… From where did the bandits get crabs and keep them alive in a landlocked region?

 

I set up my own tent which took me a while as I struggled with it. My camping knowledge is pretty limited after all. Just as I finished setting everything up, the man came back and lit a fire.

 

"All set! Now, bring the crab to cook it… Where did you put it?"

 

"Umm… I ate it."

 

I'm stupid.

 

"...Raw?"

 

"Yeah…"

 

The man gave me a strange look.

 

"Impressive."

 

To evade further awkwardness, I entered my tent and closed it. This is just a minor setback, yes, just a small error from my side. Now, I'll pretend to go to sleep since I would never let my guard down around an enemy.

 

Night turned into day, I got out of my tent to see the man had already gotten up and taken down his tent.

 

"Good morning! You woke up pretty early, which is a sign of productivity. The Crablord will surely be pleased by having someone as talented as you in the family. Let's go!"

 

After packing my tent, we headed deep into the forest until I finally saw the signs of human civilization.

 

"Here we are! Welcome to Crustacea, home to the Crustaceans. It's also your new home from now on. Come on, let's go meet the venerable Crablord-UGH!"

 

"Thank you for leading me straight to your base. You're useless to me now."

 

I didn't even need to shoot him; I was close enough to stop his heart by blocking his magic flow. Now that I'm here, it's time to clean up the trash.

 

"Hey, you! By the Crab lord’s name, what happened?"

 

*BANG*

 

Two down, now I just have to wait for them to come to me and pick them off one by one.

 

"You! I'll kill you!" "Avenge our brethren! "For the Crablord!"

 

Haah, of course they won't come at me in a straight line. I climbed up a tree before they reached me and reloaded my pistol.

 

*Bang*

 

"NOOO! Crab man four is down! We need more help!"

 

Crab man four? That's such an unoriginal naming system. Oh, more are coming, this time, they have bows. It's a shame that such crude weapons are useless against me. I touched the bark of the tree with my void metal fingers which was followed by the archers starting to shake violently. I may not be able to kill them this way, but it's enough to shake them up a bit.

 

*Bang* *Bang* *Bang*

 

They fell one by one just like flies. Every time they tried to shoot me with arrows, I interfered using an anti-magic pulse. Anyone who dared to try climbing my tree was easily shot down. I'm starting to pity them a bit.

 

"Everyone, fall back! The venerable Crablord is here with his wife!"

 

The boss is finally here? But bringing his wife is- IS THAT A GIANT CRAB!?

 

*Click* *Clack*

 

"Oh, my beautiful wife, this bastard is trying to kill all of our family, so please go and take care of him. I hope his taste will be to your liking."

 

*Bang*

 

No way am I going to let that thing near me. Those claws will easily cut me like butter, and I can't even imagine what kind of fate I will end up with if this crab manages to grab me.

 

*Bang*

 

Come on! My bullets are getting through, yet this monster refuses to fall! At least anti-magic keeps making it stumble a lot, making it waste a lot of time trying to stand back up.

 

*Bang*

 

It's starting to struggle a bit, seems like I won't become crab food today-

 

"I won't let you kill my wife!"

 

!?

 

How did I not see him climbing the tree? Get off of me, freak! You smell like rotten fish!

 

*Bang*

 

"Urrghhh… I'm sorry honey, I did everything to protect you…"

 

Crablord fell down from the tree and his body hit the ground with a thud. While I was distracted, the giant crab regained its ability to rush towards me and smashed the tree with its claws. I jumped off of the falling tree and landed on a bush. I feel like I've sprained my ankle, but I don't have time to confirm it. I have to shoot the monster. Die already!

 

*Bang*

 

I hit one of its eye stalks which made it wobble in pain, yet it's still alive. Ok, plan B, I'll attempt to make contact with its shell and use anti-magic to kill it.

 

*Thump*

 

...Nevermind I guess! I bet it couldn't handle all the injuries and finally succumbed to them. With this, all the crab bandits are gone, marking the end of my mission for now. Hmm, maybe I should bring back some crab meat to eat.

 

*clap* *clap* *clap*

 

Huh? Is there another bandit?

 

"Surviving the demon invasion and even taking down a high-rank monster alone. As expected of my vassal."

 

...No way…

 

Welcome back readers!

We just hit 5k views! I can't believe so many people clicked on my story this many times. I thought I'll get 2k at most then get completely obscured, yet here we are, on track to reach even greater heights! :)

Thanks for reading!

5