CHAPTER 11: In which Loki makes a cameo to avoid bankruptcy, after slow work at Marvel Studios.
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ESTHERIEL

Centuries ago, before even the New Earth, and when the peoples were still young, a being known as Alberich forged a Great Ring from the gold deep within the Earth. With the power of this one Ring, he intended to Rule Them All. Such ambition... we could not allow it. My search for a way to remake the Earth to a better world led me to the unfortunate pairing with the one known as Loki.

At the time, God had granted me status as an immortal named Freya, what humans would call a goddess. You see, not all angels are born, some of them have it thrust upon us. I have retained much of my beauty from that time, but have since managed to pick up a great deal of confusion. For you see, as the immortal Freya I was very much a woman, but uhhhh... whenever I acted as the angel Estheriel, I sort of had a penis...

So anyway, we decided to pay a visit to the underground cave where he had acquired this thing from water fairies after giving up all feelings of love in exchange for his goal. And I had come with Loki because he was fairly adept at trickery and negotiation, because I knew that if I brought Thor, Alberich's head would be splattered all over the cave walls. With Loki, there would be a much stronger chance that this might be done peacefully. We entered to find an old hunched-over dwarf looking at his object.

The cavern entrance emptied into a large natural room. Pillars made from mineral deposits sectioned out the walls, and there were some awe-inspiring formations. The room had a few pools of water nearby, and lava could be found below the nearby cliffs, making it ideal for forging. In the center of the room was the precious jewelry, which he proceeded to dub the Ring of Nibelungen. “It was said that this ring could give control over everything. Surely, it could grant my wish,” he said to himself. In fact, he was so fascinated with it that it took a rather loud clearing of my throat to call his attention. He looked up at me, then fascination for the Ring overcame his mind.

Loki poked my back, “Let me do the talking. Any use of force to take the Ring will alert him to our cause.” Loki was charming, in the same way as a psychopath is charming. Unlike Thor, he had a handsome face, a shock of long black hair, and was athletic without being muscular. He looked like the sort of person that would speak as a diplomat, and would probably be able to talk someone into selling their soul. I nodded, “Very well, but I still don't trust you.” He reassured me, “Relax, I have no desire for the ring. I know better.” He walked closer to him, and stretched his arms outward, “Welcome fair creature, I have heard many tales of your great power!” The dwarf stared up from his Ring long enough to raise an eyebrow, “I have heard many more tales of your deceit, Loki. What is it you wish? I will give it, that you might leave me in peace. I would like to return to sleep, if you don't mind.”

Loki pretended to be shocked by this, then added more flattery, “Oh come now, such modesty! I hear a powerful creature like you has control over the Shifting of Forms, that of being another. Surely... Surely, it would be no trouble for you to show me some of this incredible power!” Alberich looked annoyed, “Well, if it will get you out of my hair...”

Alberich pointed to me, “You there! With the wings, come closer that I may see you better...” I asked, “Is this enough?” while advancing toward him. Suddenly, I was staring at a beautiful woman with my hair and face, wearing the same clothing as I was. From any angle I might as well be looking at the mirror. The only difference was that Alberich seemed to lack Loki's trick of mimicry for voices. So I heard his disgusting gruff voice coming out of what was my mouth, “Well? How do I look?” I lunged toward him, hearing that harsh voice mocking my appearance with its dissonance, “How dare you! Turn back this instant!” He did, but Loki scoffed, “Such petty magics are beneath my interest. Show me something more interesting!”

Alberich transformed into a large serpent dragon with hands and feet. He crawled along the ground, then rose into the air until he was upright, looming over us. “Well?” he said, “Sure, this is impressive enough! Leave now...” The Ring appeared tiny when compared to his huge size, having slipped from around his finger to the edge of his claw in order to fit. Loki looked unimpressed, “Yes, I suppose it is impressive. But, as they say, true power is measured by restraint. Let's see how small you can get.” And so, without bothering to shift back into his original form, he turned into the size of a fly, causing the Ring to slip off. But Loki was ready for him. He tossed a bug-catching net over him, “Yes, indeed! Excellent trick! But mine's better. Too bad, huh? Now, Estheriel, here's that Ring you wanted.” Alberich protested, his tiny voice squeaking, “Don't think you've gotten away with this! This Ring will be cursed, until the day it returns to my hand! You shall not be its master, nor anyone.” He’d have to speak up, because I wasn’t listening.

I left the cave with his words weighing on me. Even today, as I think on my current objectives, this still unsettles me. If the day had ended with his words there, I would have been disturbed enough. But it didn't. The worst was coming.

Indeed, no sooner did I leave the cave than some brigands tried to steal it. A group of ogres had climbed up to this spot. Now, many of you don't understand this, but ogres are in the same family as goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, trolls, oni, giants, and titans in order of size. They lack any special abilities unlike trolls, goblins, and orcs. But much like the state of mankind (according to Hobbes), they are nasty, brutish, and short. “Give us your Ring now, if you know what's good for you!” he paused, “Or else.” This Ring seemed to have led these thieves right to this area, to claim it. Furthermore, the Ring seemed to be cursed with a terrible greed! No, I shall not keep it!

I had a goal of using this Ring in order to remake the world. Yet renewing the world in this way would simply lead to great evil! I addressed these big mannish things, “If you desire it, take it with my blessing. Do not fight me for what is yours freely! I'll even give my gold, so you can share evenly.” As I said this, I laid down at least enough to equal the Ring in Gold and in gold bars, yet they took no notice of this obvious wealth, instead focusing on the fact that only one of them could possess the Ring.

It happened subtly at first. One ogre said politely (inasmuch as ogres are polite), “Here brother, you take the gold, I'll have the Ring...” The other ogre shook his head, “No brother, you take the gold, I want the Ring...” The way he said this was very blunt, even to ogre ears, so the other ogre snarled at him, “I won't let you have it. It's mine! It's precious to me.” The other ogre shoved the pile of gold I'd offered at him, trying to grab the Ring, “Well, I definitely don't want your stinking gold!” What began as a robbery ended as a bloodbath. The first one pounded at the second, with his meaty fists, then the second one pulled out his club, and they continued back and forth until there were two bloody stains on the snow-covered ground outside the cave.

I fished the Ring out of the gore. “This will not suffice!” I said, “I shall suppress this away, until the unthinkable happens! Its evil shall be imprisoned, until one of the most trustworthy beings makes an vow and breaks it.” This event would haunt me from then on. This is why, despite many easier ways of changing the world, I had decided to instead go ahead with my plan.

0