CHAPTER 16: In which Tamashii is caught by a butterfly. Because it’s Russia.
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AMBROSIA

No sooner did we exit than we found ourselves victim of an ambush by that Kochou. While it's hard to believe forest creatures could pop out of the bushes or something when we were in the middle of an ocean, somehow they managed. That girl Mariposa took a group of other adult butterflies instead of her normal infantry. In any case, they attacked hard and fast, knocking us back and spewing some sort of string around us. We were caught for hours, while they grabbed the Orihime Flute from our hands. “If you want this back,” said Mariposa before she flew away, “come to me, and we'll finally settle things.”

It was tough to free myself from that sticky substance, but eventually my hand grasped my knife and I cut those bonds. Some of the others were already free, including my husband, daughter, Lilith, and Azrael. I helped the others get loose. “Damn that woman! When I get a hold of her I'll...” I said. Tamashii interrupted, “You'll do nothing. Listen, that dungeon back there is about all the adventure I ever wanted. Now, I think it's time to admit that sometimes the whole fighting all creatures just because they're creatures is a bad plan. I mean, they do have a pretty decent motive for fighting. Maybe not fighting us, but I never said that butterfly woman is the most rational person.”

I blinked. Then I hugged my daughter. Look at her, all grown up and making adult decisions! “But,” I asked, “what should we do? I mean, the Orihime Flute is still missing, and we do have to get it back.” She nodded, “Yes, but the Council is still around, even if it's pretty inactive about a lot of things now. Let's head over to their place and suggest we meet with the Council. They can probably propose zoning measures that will allow land to be set aside for preservation, and to keep these cities from being too close to towns. And maybe we can talk to them about having some Rangers added to make sure the Sakuya and Kochou maintain a good relationship with the humans who camp nearby.” But honestly, the only ones having a problem were the Kochou.

As yes, the Rangers. These weren't forest rangers or park rangers, these were Rangers. They were not to be confused with Numenoreans known by readers of Tolkien, they were a sect like the Druids with nature powers. But this was where their similarity ended. For you see, the Druids tended to be priestly types and believe in creating groves of land, and hunted only when they needed to eat, preferring to avoid interacting directly with the populations of plants and animals in favor of simply existing as part of the natural world. The Rangers on the other hand believed in direct action to save or cull species, seeing themselves as guardians of the forests. In their hands, any campers in the forest who tried to pollute or make too much noise or look funny at an oak tree would find reasons to leave the forest alone. That is, they’d kill people for littering.

And so, we boarded our boat, heading straight to the island of the Council to seek an audience. But no sooner had we gotten underway than we found ourselves under attack! No, it wasn't the Kochou. It was some strange creature that I don't recognize, a floating ball with mostly closed eyes, playing a flute while some lights surrounded it. “I'm scared, Mommy!” Tamashii admitted. I was scared too, dear. But I acted brave.

0