30 – You’re of no use to me
210 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Given everything that had happened during these last couple of days, it only made sense for people to be exhausted. Hell, Jiao Ziyu himself hadn’t actually contributed that much, and even he felt the strain.

In fact, Jiao Ziyu wanted little more than to find the nearest bed and take a nap – though a quiet corner could’ve worked just as well.

Now however, sleep was not available, and instead, Jiao Ziyu had been left to keep watch over another, as per the request of Mingyue, but⸺

“You’re of no use to me,” Bai Jixue hissed, curled up atop the Demon King’s bed. “Go away.”

Well, Jiao Ziyu would’ve very much liked to do so. But when Mingyue gave you a task, it typically included an expectation that said task would be accomplished in case one wished to avoid some rather unpleasant consequences.

“Sorry, Venerable Master,” he said instead. “Is there anything else this humble one might do for you? Might this humble one bring you anything?”

At this, the other’s wings unfurled slightly, shuddering. They were quite beautiful – light in colour yet strangely iridescent. There were darker patches though, particularly on the right wing. In fact, the left one was a significantly paler, more washed-out colour than the other.

Looking at them, Jiao Ziyu wondered if this held any particular significance – probably, although he stood a relatively a small chance of learning what, which was such a shame, honestly.

Allegedly, there was a pretty extensive library over here, but almost everything in it was written in languages or dialects or in signs largely incomprehensible to him.

The mere thought of it made him sigh, and this in turn caused a decidedly sharp gaze turn in his direction.

“Yes,” the immortal drawled at last. “If you could put me out of my goddamned misery, that’d be fucking great. Failing that, you could bring me that accursed Demon King’s head on a plate.”

Ah. Well⸺ “I don’t think... I’m the right person to ask?”

Then again, this made Jiao Ziyu wonder who would be the right person – or demon – to ask. In any case⸺ “Is there anything else I could do for you, Venerable Master Bai?”

“Yes,” the other said. “Go and tell that insolent disciple of mine to go and⸺”

Ah.

 


 

By the time Jiao Ziyu was finally allowed to leave, he was so utterly exhausted that it took a long moment before he finally realised that he’d managed to get lost.

Granted, it wasn’t as though he couldn’t ask anyone for directions, but Jiao Ziyu had refrained from it initially, simply because he was unsure as to whether or not they’d actually tell him. He was after all a human and a cultivator at that, and the relationship in-between demons and cultivators wasn’t that great, generally speaking. Also⸺

“Peak Lord Jiao,” someone said, and Jiao Ziyu slowly lifted his head. At some point, he’d simply given up, found himself some largely secluded corner and sat down, and now, he found himself greeted by the Demon King who watched him with a mixture of surprise and something that might’ve been concern.

“He’s been asking for you,” Jiao Ziyu immediately blurted out.

“Hoh?” the Demon King said.

Hoh? “He’s been asking for your head on a⸺”

“I quite like my head where it is though,” the Demon King interrupted, keeping Jiao Ziyu’s senseless tongue from saying even worse things. Then⸺ “When was the last time you slept, Peak Lord Jiao?”

Actually, coming to think of it⸺ “I don’t know?”

It was fine though, mostly. Jiao Ziyu was a cultivator, and a Peak Lord at that. Going without sleep for this long wasn’t even worth thinking about.

The Demon King apparently thought otherwise though, because he promptly grabbed Jiao Ziyu by the lapels, dragged him up and then promptly tossed him inside one of those rifts, which sent Jiao Ziyu crashing right onto a bed that was thankfully unoccupied.

“Jiao Ziyu!”

He blinked, then employed what little remained of his energy to roll over onto his back, and from there, he blearily stared up into the ceiling.

For a brief moment, he could’ve sworn that he saw the blurry outline of someone leaning over him. This was soon replaced by the blurred yet undeniably familiar faces of Yue and Youming Jun, both of them leaning over him with evident concern.

Jiao Ziyu was fine though. He just needed to close his eyes for a few⸺

 


 

There’s something – no, there’s someone standing over him.

“Ziyu,” a voice softly calls him, and Ziyu groans, burying his face deeper into his arms. “Ziyu, wake up.”

Ziyu doesn’t want to. He’s already finished with paperwork for the day, and he’s exhausted and he just wants to sleep. He doesn’t want to deal with it, whatever it is. Whatever it is, it’s not his problem, and even if it is, then it could certainly also be someone else’s.

“Come oooooon, Ziyu,” the voice insists, and a hand accompanies it, shaking his shoulder. “Today’s the day, Ziyu. It’s your big day.”

Big day?

Ziyu sits up, staring blearily at his master. For a brief moment, Ziyu considers swearing at him, but then, he obviously thinks better of it. “Master Jiao, this humble one is not sure that he understand what you’re

“Oh, lay it off, would you?” Master Jiao laughs, patting him on the head. “I don’t really care about such stuff – formalities and all that.”

Ugh. “You should care.”

“But I don’t want to.”

Argh. Such an utterly infuriating person – still, this is also the person to whom Ziyu owes his current position – although at times, he wonders if it wouldn’t have been better to have remained unchosen. Others certainly seem to think so after all. Still

Standing at the Selection, having ranked second to last amongst the ones who’d even made it up the mountain, Ziyu had looked to the Heavens and feebly hoped for some heavenly intervention.

Others had been picked after all, and even though his martial arts skills left a whole lot to be desired, he did know how to read and write and do a whole lot of things.

He’d hoped that his showing in the earlier rounds of the Selection would be enough, and yet, standing there, lined up with the rest of those feebly hoping to get chosen, Ziyu had found himself doubting. Besides, he hadn’t even been Ziyu then – that had come later.

First, another Peak Lord had walked down the line following in the footsteps of those who’d come before him. He’d also seemed to be the last one intending to do so, given that certain other Peak Lords weren’t even present.

And as he neared, people got their hopes up, and as he moved on, people got their hopes dashed.

By the time the other had reached the place where Ziyu stood, Ziyu had already taken hold of that feeble hope and squashed it underneath his foot before the other had even gone past. But then

Backing a few steps, the Peak Lord was suddenly standing him, giving Ziyu a look that was one part surprise and another part “Oh, I guess I’ll choose you.”

Even now, remembering these words makes Ziyu mildly infuriated – because once the shocked awe had passed, what remained was the sort of indignation that Ziyu would remember many, many years down the line.

And now, now “What’s the occasion?”

Master Jiao laughs. “It’s a surprise. Come on, let’s get going already.”

The Peak Lord pats him on the shoulder and tugs at him.

Ziyu has a bad feeling about this.

 


 

Ziyu has a bad feeling about this. This feeling by no means abates as he sees where they seem to be headed – the domain of Peak Lord Bai.

The latter had been in seclusion for a while, putting the sect’s general classes in medicinal cultivation on temporary hiatus – to the detriment of some and to the relief of others. As for Ziyu, he hadn’t really felt one way or the other about the news, and he still doesn’t. Because on one hand, he thinks learning is important, but on the other hand, by reputation alone, Peak Lord Bai is scary.

To date, Ziyu has only ever seen the other from a distance – from a distance and while in the company of others. Because there’s safety in numbers and all that.

Now however, there’s only Ziyu and Master Jiao – not an ideal situation by any means – especially not since they’re headed right into the other’s territory, likely uninvited. So

“What are you doing here?” Peak Lord Bai says, his voice so cold that Ziyu cannot hold back a shiver.

This only seems to draw the other’s attention though, so Ziyu makes sure to stay very, very still. He feels a lot like a tiny mouse, caught in the gaze of some predator – like a cat or a hawk. So, he keeps still and keeps his gaze carefully lowered. He’ll be safe with Master Jiao – probably.

Actually, Ziyu isn’t all that certain. He isn’t that certain because Peak Lord Bai, Bai Jixue, is as ruthless as he’s cold. He’s also beautiful, and so

Sudden movement draws his attention, and Ziyu lifts his gaze – not enough to look at Bai Jixue’s face, granted, but just enough to catch sight of another, and the sight of those glacial eyes startles him enough for him to take a step back.

Then Master Jiao laughs, nudging him forward.

“Now, now, my dear padawan. No need to be shy. He doesn’t bite – probably.”

Ziyu has no idea what ‘padawan’ actually means. However, according to others, it most likely means ‘disciple’. So

Peak Lord Bai makes a disgusted noise, narrowing his eyes at the sight of him. “Why is he here?”

Ziyu isn’t really sure what the other is asking – if he’s being asked about why he is here or about why Master Jiao is here. In any case, he quickly cups his hands and bows deeply. “This humble one greets Peak Lord Bai.”

“Ah, honestly,” Master Jiao snorts. “Do you hear him, Frosty? Do you hear how he talks? It’s always ‘this humble one this’ or ‘this humble one that’. I mean, I guess it’s a step up from ‘this humble servant’ and all, but

“At least your ‘padawan’ knows his place,” Peak Lord Bai says.

Somehow, this brings Master Jiao to a pause – brief confusion followed by utter delight. “No way,” he says. “You actually got that reference?!”

Peak Lord Bai only scoffs, then looks down at the child stuck to his side.

“Little Yue,” he says, clearly addressing the other. “Watch closely.”

And with those words, he flicks his wrist and snaps his fan open. And since Ziyu has heard certain stories, he quickly moves to the side just as Peak Lord Bai uses the fan to conjure up a burst of wind that sends Master Jiao tumbling.

“Frosty!” Master Jiao calls, partly amused and partly indignant. “That is not the proper way to use the Fo

“Watch me,” Peak Lord Bai says, and with some additional effort, he shoves Master Jiao further and makes him tumble downhill.

Then, once Master Jiao is out of earshot, Peak Lord Bai reaches up to pinch the bridge of his nose, muttering something that sounds an awful lot like “...Fucking Star Wars!” before he suddenly seems to register Ziyu’s presence. He even seems mildly startled by it, and Ziyu thinks this probably doesn’t bode particularly well – for him, that is.

Thus, he bows deeply once more and then moves to take another step back. He then takes yet another step back before cupping his hands once more, apologising for intruding and announcing that he’ll be taking his leave.

And he does. He doesn’t necessarily get very far however.

“Stop.”

Ziyu freezes, then slowly turns, bowing once more. “Peak Lord Bai?”

At this there’s silence, and it lasts long enough for Ziyu to slowly lift his gaze.

The Peak Lord isn’t looking at him though, and only then does it finally occur to him that Peak Lord Bai might’ve actually been addressing another.

Ears burning in quiet shame, Ziyu simply bows once more and then he’s on his way.

There’s still much work to do, and once he’s done with that, he’ll take a nap, and then

Eyes follow him as he departs. He knows it, feeling the heaviness of that gaze. It makes him shiver.

 

4