Reaching Guild
102 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Welcome to the guild! I am the hot guild receptionist 1, who will do nothing more than giving you quests and guidance while also redirecting you to various big shots of this town." said the hot guild receptionist 1 cheerfully.

"You can just call me guild receptionist 1" said the guild receptionist 1 cheerfully.

Well if you are wondering how we got here all of a sudden, then, well, the title already has the biggest spoiler so why not start from the end?

Okay okay, let's go back in time, Narrator please do your job now.

Narrator : Now we go back in time to find out what had actually happened.

[*rewind sfx*]

[*old movie countdown sfx*]

[*tttttt sfx*]

3 .  .. …

[*tttttt sfx*]

2 .  .. …

[*tttttt sfx*]

1 .  .. …

A child named main character was born on his birthda-

— That's way too back Narrator!

Oh then, after getting rejected by his childhood love on the last da-

— NOO! That's still way too back!

Oh then, after quiting his first and last job he got drunk for the whol-

— Nevermind i will do it myself…

So the elf was in doubt as to whether i am the good guy or not, more like the elf never thought i could be a good guy so the elf started the quest to hunt me down immediately.

[*dramatic action bg*]

"tch, don't think you will get away with what you have done clearly- 

evil-person, you might be strong, but your death is destined to happen from my hands" says the elf in a resentful voice.

"Hold on, i think there is a misunderstanding here i actu-", I said quickly while raising my hands up in the air to show that i am innocent, while trying to put up a smile.

But no!

The Elf won't listen, Elf took out a knife and started swinging it.

I took a big leap backwards, and landed in a horizontal spring-legged pose on the trunk of a tree, creating around a 20 meters gap between us — the Elf threw more of those small … daggers? i jumped sideways from the trunk while maintaining the 20 meters distance and successfully dodging the daggers. I now stood straight on the ground, with my hands still up.

Again, the daggers went pretty deep in the trunk — the trunk could support my jump so i guess it's not that weak, but that could only mean one thing, the Elf is strong.

Elf didn't plan to let me go alive, Elf instantly grabbed the bow and took aim.

my side 1 : persuade using the power of words!

my side 2 : just keep defending and exhaust this elf.

my side 3 : end this pathetic creature's life.

Time to persuade this Elf.

[*thriller suspense bg*]

"I just got here today to find some work, i don't know who you think i am, but i am definitely not someone who have harmed anyone!" i said quickly and quite loudly in my defense with a serious expression, my eyes wide open and i did some dramatic hand movements while saying that because drama and impact.

Elf didn't release the arrow but had aimed at me.

Elf's eyes narrowed, Elf asked in a heavy and cold tone, "What kind of work did you used to do?". or at least the Elf tried to, Elf's voice was rather high pitch and thin so the heavy-cold tone didn't carry much weight.

Work? Wouldn't "Why are you here" be more direct? Oh, Elf has witnessed my stats to an extent, if i say something which doesn't match my strength, i might die? Anyway.

Well my stats won't let me die, besides the writer has blessed me to be the main character, no way i am dieing again — unless this is a story where i reincarnate multiple times… wait so i *can* still die, guess i will find out if checkpoints exist in this world, maybe i will get to complete my sentence which i wanted to say to god, or what if there is a different god this time… anyway.

I don't even know the occupation of people here.

Well, i definitely can't be honest and say some self proclaimed god sent me here to literally do anything i want and i stopped a river then lost half my abilities because i wanted to look at myself and find a guide.

So this is the time where my secret knowledge of anime, manga, and games comes in to save the day, my mom's face the last time we met had a disappointed look when she saw me in my NEET stages, Ha, watch me mom‌, my knowledge will save me today.

A blacksmith? An alchemist? A noble? A merchant?

No way.

Adventurer? Mercenary?

What if Elf asks me for some ID card…

Wait i didn't say i used to work somewhere, so… i was some disciple? Whose though?

Used to do odd jobs? Where though?

[*Bow string tighten up sfx*]

*gulp*

"Oh, uh... I used to do odd jobs while traveling from city to city, town to town, village to village…" i said with a faltering voice.

The Elf was still doubtfully staring at me. So i continued.

"...city to town, city to village, town to city, town to village, village to city, village to town." because you know, i went from anywhere to anywhere, i did not discriminate between settlements.

"A traveling adventurer huh? Do you have your ID o-". Elf tried to ask, but this is not where i want the conversation to head, i interfered.

"Nooo No No no… " I said while waving both my hands.

"i am no adventurer, more like a volunteer…?" i rubbed the back of my neck with one hand, with a faint fake smile.

Elf looked skeptically at me, raised one eyebrow.

Did i say something wrong?

I can now understand how god might have felt when i looked confused at him —lesson learned, never look confused at anyone after they speak, they feel like a fool, unless you want to make them feel like a fool.

Why am i getting interrogated right after being spawned, i mean, transmigrated — no wait, i had died — reincarnated into a new body.

"What's a volunteer?" Elf again tried to speak in a heavy voice but failed — making the Elf sound like a 5 year old trying to do an impression of a deep voiced cartoon villain.

Unlike me who had taken a pledge to not speak while talking to the god, the elf had no such plans and bombarded me with another question.

Wait there is no concept of volunteer here?

"To offer to do something that you do not have to do, often without having been asked to do it and/or without expecting payment, simply put — It's like working for free because you feel like it." I said with a serious expression while looking at her silver sparkly eyes. i have to feel a bit dominating, better keep a straight and serious face.

"That's quite a bad choice, you could join adventurer's guild and get paid so why are you doing work for free, that's not a good excus-" You are not my mom, you sound like a newborn, i interfere again.

"That's why i thought it was about time i joined adventurer's guild and get some income. I came here for that reason." I said with a bold voice, serious expression.

[*Wind blows*]

Elf scanned me from my head to toe and then gazed back into my soul — i meant my eyes, not sure which eye.

"What's your age? What type of creature are you? Are you a human?" Elf bombarded me again, but now Elf was no longer having that strict tone, nor tried to be heavy-cold, now i felt like a 4 year old is asking me about my life and questioning my existence.

Age? 000:00:00:00:21:46… was it? no way i can say that, type of creature? the menu had nothing of that sort, guess i am human?

"Yes i am a human, 24 years old".

Let's go with that pseudo-age which i think this body looks like, also, i don't know what's the working age here but-

"Why did you wait for so long to register, with your skills you could have got a better job soon." Elf got a bit doubtful again, but felt more curious at this point, seemed like a stupid 3 year old questioned my decision and offered a better suggestion that i could not even think of on my own — yes i do not like kids, they are irritating, just like this Elf.

Well my lack of knowledge of this world is surfacing, i do not know the working or learning age.

"I was training myself, i wasn't born op- i mean, strong."

"Who was your teacher?"

Time to make up a story, you know, those stories people make up in order to deceive 2 year olds?

These questions will just keep coming otherwise so... Thought acceleration, help me out buddy.

I took a deep breath.

[*deep breath*]

There is no going back now.

"I was self taught…" No way you get this good with self teaching right?

"…and I taught myself using the methods of my brother's master…", wait don't masters NOT show their training methods to non disciples? anyway

"…I learned the technique by watching my brother training at home when i was very young…" yeah my brother trained in his home okay? not in some lonely isolated rocky hill under a waterfall.

Wait i need to cover up the master and brother story.

"…My brother and his master are both dead now though…" wait i don't know how such strong people can die.

"…Actually they have not been found for many years, no information has arrived about them either, so they were assumed dead..." Oh wait, i found a reason to be volunteering.

"But now i walk around in different countries to find them, or how they died, volunteering is just an excuse if you look at it" My brother's and master's name will need to be disclosed now right?

"...and i do not feel like disclosing their names or the place i came from." That's right, you are a stranger after all Elf, i am not some child that will get bribed for a candy and spill the beans — well in this case you are threatening me though.

I told that as the story, it's quite believable for me okay? Should definitely work on this 1 year old.

Just end this interrogation already.

Or rather, let me question you now.

"What are you even suspecting me for? If i were some untrained civilian i would have died you know?"

The Elf finally puts down her bow.

[*tensed string loosen up sfx*]

Both of us sighed, wait, does that mean i am free?

"Sorry for my rude behaviour, but your questionable dressing made me think you were the one behind the current issue we were investigating." Elf says while looking at my questionable attire in a serious tone.

[*Silence*]

"Oh" Elf just remembered something.

"I am Main Female Elf 1, you can just call me Elf 1. I am the Head Knight of squad 1, the one responsible for this region." Elf said while smiling...? that's a fast change in attitude. And why do we have a knight here? those aren't cliche enough.

"We were investigating the sudden appearance of Rank B monsters here, and apparently you are the most suspicious person to appear out of the blue in a locked out forest, True — the southern side of the forest is open, but no one comes from that route..." elf says with a fading smile.

"So the reason you are drenched in blood…" I pointed out with a serious expression, i don't switch my mood like the elf.

"Ah , yes, i encountered several Rank B monsters, don't worry i disposed off their body and have also applied cleansing spells that block the bad smell on me as well as their corpse, the smell won't attract any other creatures. So rest assured." the Elf said in a relieved and proud manner, puffing out her chest and tapping it with her hand.

Honestly, i don't want to do anything with this Elf anymore, just let me get to the guild already.

[*happy sparkle sfx*]

[*cheerful happy bg*]

"Alright, I wish your work goes smoothly and you find the culprit…" i said in a comforting cheerful manner, with a thumbs up gesture — have to give a good last impression of myself to this fetus.

"Mhm, mhm" elf nodes twice, "I hope so too." a bright smile appears on Elf's face and Elf did the squished eye smile we see in anime.

"…By the way…", I said while smiling.

"…Hmm?", Elf hummed while smiling.

"…Which way is the guild?", I asked while smiling, as politely as possible. Right, just tell me where the guild is and get going.

[*cheerful happy bg stop*]

"Oh! sorry, i am actually lost myself." The Elf's smile faded, and Elf bowed down slightly while apologizing. Elf had more of an worried look now.

By the way writer… when are you planning on using pronouns for the "Elf"?

[*Average weight walking noises*]

The Elf does not make any sound while walking, i feel like a clearly-evil-person for ruining her efforts of not making sounds.

"Hey Elf 1, didn't we just come here a while back?" I said with a faint smile and cheerful tone while pointing towards a tree.

[*average weight walking noises stop*]

"…hmm? oh right, my arrows and what-you-thought-were-daggers are stuck in the tree..." said the Elf with a tired and sad expression.

[*Elf's sigh sfx*]

I don't have much trouble walking around here as there isn't much stuff on the ground or any disgusting insect that sticks to me… but i do not enjoy coming to the same place 50 times.

The Elf didn't took the arrows or daggers that she used, they are acting as our mark, it's hard to take out as well. She has also plotted more daggers and scratches on trees for this reason — but nothing is really helpful so far.

"You see Elf 1, … I appreciate your effort to lead the way, but how about i do it?" I said in a polite manner.

"hn..." hn? what's hn?

"Fine…" The Elf said with an i-give-up tone, sounds like she is on the verge of crying at this point — she has been lost for a while now after all, but isn't she a knight of this region? She doesn't remember this place or even carry a map? Why is this person the head?

"I know you think that i am new here so you should be the one guiding me to town…" , I tried to comfort, she might be doing it out of guilt for attacking me as well.

"But you need to relax now, i have been to various places, i will not get lost so easily." I tried to make her not feel bad. Various places, yeah sure i have adventured all the top games of my time.

[*Average weight walking noises*]

That said, i definitely have some directional skills, nothing of legendary tier but i can surely tell which way will NOT get us to the same place. This one place towards the south feels a bit empty. but didn't the Elf said no one comes from their? Let's not go there, definitely a flag raise, let's head.. hmm, oh another empty place in the east, let's head there.

That said, i have no idea what this empty place feeling is, it's similar to the south so it must be like an empty route, south should be an empty route i believe — if we go by what the Elf said. In the worst case both places are dangerous, but i think that's our only bet.

Time passes by, i do not feel even a bit tired, i don't know how i ended up in this escort mission right after coming here, but now that i am here, no going back. I wonder if the Elf is tired.

Also, even my sense of direction with the skills is not that great, this forest is designed to keep people inside it or something i think, i find myself going in the wrong direction a lot. I can't keep going towards the empty place in east for some reason — even though for a forest it's quite a clear path as well.

Silence is really unpleasant. Elf doesn't even make a sound when walking. wait is this Elf the culprit? i don't know but, no walking sound, blood drenched and walking with me for hours acting lost — smells like some horror plot, the child like behaviour is even more ghost like. I have very less information about this elf on top of that.

"Oh by the way, are you all alone in this investigation?" I asked out of curiosity, and to clarify my thoughts.

"Not really, my whole squad was in it, but then we split up because that's a faster way to clean up the forest, also it will ensure that nothing escapes this forest. We can't risk the 3 towns attached with this forest right?". Elf said casually with a shrug.

Trees were now having a 50-60 meter distance between each other, so we are finally coming to an open place huh, my senses tell me we are pretty close as well.

Now i don't want the conversation to die out, it would be better to know more as well. "Oh, i see, what's on the fourth side?"

Wait a minute, 3 towns on 3 sides? I don't sense anything town like though, i only sense 2 clear regions, east and south.

"Ah, the fourth side, the south, that's just an empty plain area". that's a relief to know, now i am sure we are headed towards a plain area as well.

It's weird though, why are 3 sides occupied but 1 isn't? and why didn't they bother closing off that too? won't mobs still escape from there?

"You see, this forest's guardian is an animal that is better suited for flat plains, so it stays there, in the south." she added.

Forest guardian's entry in the story happened too early, shouldn't goblins have come in first?

"Oh my, looks like we found the culprit." says the elf, stopping and narrowing her eyes.

[*average weight walking noises stop*]

"culprit..?" where in the world is she looking.

Elf points ahead, "Right there."

I can't see that far, Elf eyes are great.

Oh, now i can, my skills are great.

I see something going towards the south in a slow speed, it's giant though. I can't see that clearly, i miss my legendary and up skills. Well i couldn't activate the bird eye skill so… anyway.

Now i realised that i was not going towards the open plain, i was headed towards a creature with most power or something here, i sensed power, not topology. Well power sensing makes sense actually — it should be useful after all.

Not knowing one's own skill can be fatal it seems.

But hey we found the culprit, yay!!

Time to end the chapter?!? But we didn't even reach the guild!!!

1