Prologue
1.9k 5 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
 This story is inspired by Clarity’s Tearforged, please give her work a try if you don’t mind:) https://www.tgstorytime.com/viewstory.php?sid=4658 

CW:

Spoiler

Violence

[collapse]

“Make your own future, shape your own destiny. We are what we choose to be.”- A Fairy’s Dream, chapter 1, volume 2. 

“And I’m telling you, she’s a girl! I gave birth to a boy and two girls.” Runia huffed, crossing her arms.”I don’t understand how she’s a boy but I know I gave birth to two girls and a boy, not two boys.“ 

Gregori covers her mouth with his large hand. “You’re wrong. He’s a boy, and he’ll grow up to be a man, a prince of Cintra. Ashes, I can see that as clearly even if you will not. Are you certain you don’t need to visit the court physician? I am quite certain he was always a boy.”

She groans and shakes her head, swatting away his hand. “What’s the point of being your queen if you won’t just listen to me? And I told you…” Runia grits her teeth. “Keep your hands to yourself.” 

The king flashes her a cocky grin and cups her chin. “Your mother gave you away to me. You...are mine. Do not forget this. And to finish this pointless argument, I was the one to hold him first, since you just slipped into a slumber after giving birth to him. By the dragon’s sacred ashes he’s a boy, Runia. If you want another girl we can arrange this of course…”

Runia flinches away from his grip, a flash of rage crossing her face. “I’ll try to remember that, milord.” 

The king chuckles, lightly stroking his beard. “Well, I’ll see you at dinner. Do take your time prettying up, unless you’d like to hide behind petty illusions again?” Gregori laughs boisterously, then slowly strides off. 

“Though I suspect it won’t take you very long.”

When the king shut the door behind him, she blows him a raspberry. “Arsehole.” With a roll of her eyes, she plops her elbows on the vanity’s desk, idly running her hands through her flame-kissed hair. 

A little robin flies through the window and lands on her desk. “Sister.” A woman’s mezzo-soprano echoes in Runia’s head. 

“What do you want Aoifé?” 

The robin chirped cheerfully. 

“Can’t I just come to see my adorable big sister? Trapped in this awfully human body? I thought you’d like my company.”

Runia quirks an eyebrow at the little bird. “Why would I be happy to see you if you always bring up my punishment?” 

“Oh please, you still age like a Faeborn so by the time mum’s cooled off you’ll be fine. Think of this as a lesson in humility, or something.” 

Runia could swear she heard her sister smile as she talked. “A lesson in humility? Sounds like something for you.” 

“I’m not the one who turned mum’s favorite human into a donkey.” 

Runia furrows her brows and pouts. “Well, she was being an ass. She shouldn’t have tried acting all high and mighty as if she was the queen of the world. Not to mention she was being an arsehole to the humans she rules over.” 

Aoifé giggles and the little bird dances through the air. “And look at you now! She even trapped you in the body of a human in her thirties. It must be hard having to act all mature and responsible, as the one and only queen of the so-called Fire kingdom.”

She drums her fingers on the desk, a look of frustration flashing across her face. “Not as hard as you’d think. I have children, you know. And it’s called the ashen kingdom, you should’ve done your homework sis.”

“Yes. We’ve heard about your...offspring. Just couldn’t resist could you?” 

Runia glances at the mirror. “I tried.” She places her hand on her tummy and breathes a deep sigh. “I have to leave, Aoifé. I’m not strong enough to always protect all of them from him.” 

The little bird pecks at her eyes. “Cowardice, sister. It does not become you.” 

“Stop that!” She tried swatting the robin. “It isn’t cowardice, I just…don’t know of any other way anymore. I’m in this...human body, vulnerable to this ridiculous magical backlash they call betrayals. I can’t protect all of them, but when I leave I can protect my baby, at least.” 

Aoifé sighs, and the bird lands on the queen’s shoulder. “Mum won’t be happy.” 

Runia gives her a bitter laugh. “When is she ever?” 

“Well, she’s happy about me, about my work.” 

The queen grits her teeth. “I’m not. It’s cruel and wrong.” She shuts her eyes. “Even if I understand why you’re doing it.”

The robin tilts its head. “You sound awfully human, sister. But I suppose you would understand, considering you’re a mother, even if you’re a human one. I do not condone you leaving behind your other offspring. I certainly would not, in your place.”

Runia sighs into her hands, tears welling up in her eyes. “Do you think I do? I don’t want to leave them, Aoifé...” she slams her fist into the desk. “If I was Fae again...” the queen stares into the mirror, gazing at her crystal blue and spring green eyes, and the river of freckles crossing her face under them. 

“But you are not. Still, at least your mortal appearance is similar to your old form, particularly your eyes. I always thought your eyes are quite beautiful. I believe humans call it heterochromia. How I wish father would let me use the royal sculptor to change mine. He just keeps blabbing on how I’m too young to understand.” 

The tiny bird chirps angrily. “I’m 6 centuries old! I’m hardly a child.” 

Runia bites her lip. “Well...in human terms, you’d barely be nineteen. I should know, I’m only marginally older. But he does have a point, you still communicate with your birds, not exactly showing off your maturity there.” 

Aoifé grunts, and the robin pecks at Runia’s shoulder. “And you’re just a shining example of maturity! You should’ve killed that bastard human king when you had the chance. But no, you’d rather cower like a baby, and here you are now. Faced with an impossible decision. If you just killed him...”

Runia rolls her eyes and brushes the little creature off her shoulder. “My children need a father, Aoifé. Especially if they won’t have me...I can’t kill him if even a small part of the man he once was is still in his heart...I can’t do it.” She rises from the desk and brushes off her luxurious crimson dress. 

“Enough chit chat, sister. I can tell the Fae blood is strong in my child, I’m not showing now but I will soon, by then I won’t be able to fight. Hells I might even give birth to them in a few weeks already. If I’m to do anything, it has to be now.” 

The little bird flies around her. “Fine. I just hope mother and father won’t hold your little rebellion against you.” 

Runia exhales a sigh and watches as the robin flies out the window. “I’m not sure I care anymore.” 

“Mummy?” A young child’s voice squeaked. The queen’s eyes dart to the young child, tightly clutching a small stuffed dragon. 

“Hi.” She smiles sweetly, then kneels in front of her child. “What’s wrong darling?” 

“Are you going away mummy?” The child trembled, keeping their stuffed dragon close. 

“I…” Runia brushes a lock of hair behind her ear and hugs them. “Mummy will always be with you, okay? Even if you can’t see me, you know where I’ll be?” 

The child tilted their head. 

“Right, here.” She pointed at their chest. “In your heart. Mummy will always love you. No matter who you are or choose to be. Alright?” 

Her child slowly nodded, and she kisses their forehead. “Always.” Runia brushes her child’s cheek, drying a stray tear. 

“Can you keep a secret? It’s a gift, just for you!” She slides a silver ring off her finger, decorated with carvings of droplets, intricately styled hearts, and a pure, faintly shimmering sapphire at its base. 

She carefully takes the child’s hand, and lays it in their palm, before closing it. “Keep it secret, keep it safe. Okay? You can’t tell or show anyone. Someday, this ring’ll mean everything to you.”

The Queen rises and looks at her child with a soft, sorrowful smile. “You’ll find your way, I know you can.” 

Her ears perk up at the sound of heavy footfalls, drawing closer. “Dorian!” The king’s voice booms. “Ashes, where is that boy...” 

She draws a steady breath, takes a last look at her child, then walks into the castle’s halls. 

“Queen Runia, the king is expecting you.” A guard stops her, forcefully grabbing her shoulder. 

She eyes the guard like an angry gorgon. “Aye, what of it? I’m just going for a walk damnit.” 

“Ma’am-“ 

She narrows her eyes at him. “Don’t call me ma’am, I’m not that old.” 

The guard visibly gulps, then bows. “Forgive me, your ladyship.” 

Runia scoffs and saunters off, throwing open the doors. “I’m tired of this.” 

She twirls her fingers and a barrel of wine bursts open, its waters separating from the wine and coursing around her hands before freezing, forming gauntlets of ice. 

Runia clenches her fists and scowls. 

“My queen, what are you?…” her blazing eyes met the guard’s, and his face hardens. 

“Alert king Gregori! The queen is attempting to escape!” He throws his hand through the air, unleashing a fiery whip aimed for her. 

“Oh, piss off.” She flicks her wrist, vaporizing the flame whip with her icy gauntlets. 

Runia twirls her finger and another barrel of wine explodes, and just moments later the guard’s encased in an icy prison. 

“Aren’t I lucky the king is such a lazy drunk?” She smirks and punches open the lock on the large, imposing doors, then steps outside. 

“If only I didn’t see this coming, my dear queen.” The king’s voice thundered through the air, he didn’t even need to shout for his voice to carry from the castle walls to the kitchens. 

She drank in the sight of dozens of soldiers, Flameborn mages, and guards aiming their hands and weapons at her. 

The queen sighs, then shakes her head, “I’m with child, Gregori.”

He looks shaken for a moment, then roars with laughter. “Am I supposed to believe that? You are a lying, deceitful, wench.” 

Runia cocks her head. “Oh?” She pouts. “My feelings are hurt.” 

The queen calmly walks forward with a big grin on her face. 

“Normally I’d snap my fingers and make a naked girl appear but I have it on good authority many of you lovely gentlemen only like men.” 

Gregori draws his lips back into a snarl. “Kill her. I’ll find another queen.” 

Runia’s eyelids flutter shut. “So be it.” Her eyes shoot open and she dashes forward, her crystalline fists meeting the faces of a group of Flameborn mages. 

One of the mages flings circles of flames at her, but she dodges them all then throws an icicle at the mage’s shoulder, pinning them to the stables. The guard’s eyes widen and they make a gagging noise.

“Sorry I have to pin you to the un-mucked stables.” 

She swiftly tilts her head, dodging a flaming arrow, then she snaps her fingers and vanishes into a cloud of pink butterflies. 

“More Fae trickery.” The king sneered, his eyes flicking across the castle grounds. 

Childish giggles dance in the air. “Oh no! Where did I go?” She sang. 

Gregori clenches his fists and snatches Runia mid-air. “Always the same tricks.” He sneers. “It’s time for your flame to go out, Fae-witch.” He spat. 

The king throws her on the ground and raises a fiery fist in the air, then aims it at Runia with a lopsided grin. 

“Everyone take cover! Get away from the queen!” A voice shrieks. 

A flaming comet howls towards Runia, leaving behind clouds of white smoke and sparks. 

She springs on her feet, and stares down the burning comet, before throwing her palm flat against the meteor, shattering it into a thousand pieces and creating a curtain of smoke. 

“Impossible...” Gregori mumbles under his breath, his jaw dropping. 

Runia soars into the air and dashes through the smoke, rushing her icy fist to meet the king’s dumbstruck face. 

The king moves to flee, but it’s too late. Her fist hits the king's cheek and he wails in pain, falling on the ground. 

“My name is Runaria, daughter of Titania and Oberon, monarchs of the Fae. Even in this pitiful human form, It seems I managed to shatter your fragile little ego.” 

She straightens her back, towering over Gregori. “I am more than your plaything, and I am not yours to toy with, human. I only allowed you to have your way with me out of respect for my mother, but no more.” 

Runia snaps her fingers, and a stream of water shoots out of the well, forming into the shape of a frozen dragon, it flies over to The queen, landing just behind her. 

“Listen well, human. If I ever hear you’ve hurt my children, I will return. You can pray to your dead dragon all you wish then, nothing will stop me.” 

She climbs the ice dragon’s back, her eyes glowing brilliant shades of sea blue and rosy pink. 

“Nothing, do not forget this.” She hissed. The dragon roars and flies off high into the sky. 

“Wait,” She frowns then groans into her hand. “I could’ve just summoned a naked girl and a guy! Ugh...Sometimes I really frustrate myself…”

Runia sighs, gently putting her hand on her abdomen, breathing softly. She looks over her shoulder, the wind delicately drying her tears. “I’m sorry...” 

She stifles a sob and rides her dragon into the distance until the castle’s nothing but a distant memory.

38